Due in November, 2012 Chat Thread #8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#51 otm

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Morning Everyone!

Have been reading but not posting as I dont really fit in yet ( happy.gif ) so just trying to 'catch up'
I've become so addicted to this site thatI find myself just reading anything for hours.

EDZ- does it happen often that your doctor is away? I have heard it happens a little here (but hasn't to me) and they have a replacement.. I don't think I could 'go' for that, I think I'd turn around and walk out huh.gif I find it awkward that half the practice knows my business lol. 4 different doctors there have seen my hoo-haa and it makes me feel funny.

StormGirl my DP thinks 4 weeks inbetween appts is too long (thats what mine are). Im not worried. But in your case I'd probably go for a quick check up, you wont look desperate, better safe and picking up even the smallest 'thing' then leaving it til whenever. OMG I hope Im not worrying you.. not trying to!

Turquoise1 Yep another sensitive one here. Very emotional. I had trouble BFing last time and was thinking the other day about even though Im doing a lot of prep this time and my OB is getting me in to see a lactation consultant, what if it still fails? WHat if i just cant BF? I cried over that. I am also easily offended atm and feel a bit lonely sad.gif HORMONES!

Catty81 I haven't heard about the recall- maybe go into BB and ask, if you were set on that capsule original.gif I am undecided whether Ill get a capsule or go straight to a 0-4 carseat. We had a capsule for DS but he was a big baby and we didnt get a lot of use out of it, but it does stick in my mind about how easy it was to get him out of the car in the capsule when sleeping. Plus DS is at Kinder and it would be easier to carry a capsule in rather than get baby out of a seat. I think Im convincing myself here wink.gif

As for me nothings happening. Feeling ripped off actually, not showing or anything sad.gif nearly halfway already and nothing mad.gif I am looking forward to clothes shopping but even that's ages away. Hope everyone's enjoying the long weekend!

#52 annie82

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hi all,

Turquoise - I just found it at http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=981384 (What do I actually need to buy). Haven't read through yet but planning to now.

Stormgirl - do what you feel comfortable with re appointments. I have found my OBS GP appointments kind of useless, they really ask me if everything feels normal, and at the last monthly one located baby's heartbeat (I would have been about 14 1/2 weeks). The Dr told me to come back in 6 weeks after my 19 wk scan, but since I'd already booked all my appointments in advance for the whole preg (they tell you to do this because the Ob GPs are so popular) I just left the next one at 4 weeks. So if you're low risk I think they're very relaxed. If you're worried, just go, no one will judge you.

EDZ - amazed that you're not showing with your second at 16 weeks - but of course everything's normal and you must have great taught stomach muscles original.gif Wish I had the option not to tell people, I freak out that everyone  just thinks I'm getting fat!

I'm 15 w 4d and usually a curvy build with a flat-ish stomach (minor pot belly) but now it's like the baby has pushed up any fat I had sitting down above my pelvis up and out. It looks funny to me (haha funny) but also a bit disturbing. I didn't think I'd be one of the women with pregnancy body image issues but occasionally I start freaking out about the change of shape - "what if it's permanent?" "what if i'm eating too much?" "what if this means I'm going to be huge at 6,7,8 months?"  Ugh wish I could just relax, trying to just enjoy it!

Miss Cooke - no feeling re sex of the bub yet for me (craving salt, vinegar/acidy foods - anyone had that before?), but I decided for sure last night that we would find out. It's DH's 3rd and my 1st; he didn't find out for his first but did for his second, and said it was up to me this time and he'd fully support my choice. So I was talking about it with friends and they were telling me whether they found out or not, and I realised myself that I'd be so curious about it I'd be kicking myself for the rest of the preg if I decided not to find out.  Now the decision is whether to tell everyone else! I don't have a preference which sex but I think I'd like one of each, so might be more invested with no.2!

Take care all and enjoy the long weekend.

#53 tanglez

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hi everyone!

As always being MIA has meant I am well behind on reading everyone's posts but up to date now! I can't stand people being judgemental full stop, I think it is so sad when people have nothing better to do with their time than judge others. Makes me wonder what it is they are feeling so insecure about that they feel the need to bring others down to prop themselves up (and that makes me pity them!)

As for bumps, I am starting to realise that anything goes! Whether you show early or late, have a big bump or a small, put on more weight or less, it really doesn't matter as long as you are taking care of yourself! I am amazed that my bump is as big as it is at only 19 weeks with my first, but I love my bump and wouldn't change it for the world! I am still itching for my scan, next Friday is the big day and all I can think about is "will it be a boy or a girl? Is he or she ok? is everything where and as it should be?"

Report writing is almost over for me and hopefully I can get rid of this horrible head cold before school holidays so I can enjoy my time away! All I want to do is put my feet up this long weekend but deadlines are looming and the house looks pretty feral *sigh*. Emotionally this has been a TOUGH week too *another big sigh* On the bright side, things can only get better!

Take really good care of you all and keep enjoying every precious moment of this incredible journey!

#54 Turquoise1

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Annie 82 - thank you - I'll look at it now!

OTM - thank you for relating.Unfortunately I can't relate to your BF issue as this is my first. I do know there is so much pressure on Mums to breastfeed. I think most women want to BF but if it's not possible, it must be stressful. I hope you can find a way to get some peace about it all.

I just spoke with a midwife in the hospital near where I'll be living and she said she can take me on! Once I confirm she can do a water birth, I'll be happy!!!

#55 Batmansunderpants

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Catty - I hope you get a weekend off too sometime soon.

AA- yay for a great scan!

Bulafiji - I didn't do nothing I just waited it out. It was the worst as my toddler is go,go,go so very little rest time.

Turquoise - I am very hormonal and find I get angry very easy for no reason a all. I think you being aware how you don't want your relationship to be if you have a daughter is the first step. It's great you have such insight.

Just read your update. Great news!

EDZ - wow, I never knew that about Milton as I used it with my son. Your lucky not o be showing yet. I'm already in maternity clothing.

Otm - you do fit in with us. Yep EB is addictive. I've been here foe over 2 years and still addicted to it. I'm sorry you had BF issues last time too. I was in recovery for 3 hrs o my son was hysterical when I first tried to feed him. I also have inverted nipples. I expressed for 3 months before not having enough supply. This time I'm meeting with a LC in August and staying in hopsital until I have established feeding. Can you make an appointment with a LC early?

Annie - don't worry out your shape. It will constantly change on you.  I was worried afterwards as my mm took so long to go down but it did. The only think that was permanent was that my pelvis was more open meaning my clothes didn't fit well on the hips.

Tanglez - god luck with your report writing.

Nothing new here.  I have a sick toddler so we are all tired.

Edited by Miss Cookie, 10 June 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#56 Heather-Elizabeth

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

otm - My doctor is away a bit, but she always makes sure she is around when babies are due. She is in Tassie working with an endurance horse ride. 2 of her (now grown up) kids ride semi-professionally.
We only have 3 doctors in the surgery, and one of them I try to avoid. I am kind of used to the awkward, because I dated their son in high school. It was very awkward at 15 when I had a problem with one of my boobs and had to show my boyfriend's father......

I also had a lot of trouble breastfeeding my first. He was bottle fed expressed milk until 8 weeks, then I finally got him onto the shield, and he was 4 months old until I got him off the shield and onto the boob. He is now almost 12 months old and still feeding. It was a lot of hard work at the start, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. Even doing bottles for the first 8 weeks was so much effort compared to breastfeeding him.

annie82 - I think not showing is less to do with strong stomach muscles and more to do with lots of padding to cover it up.

Miss Cookie - I didn't get out of my maternity clothes since my son was born. At least I got decent wear out of them....

ETA: I finally found something I want to buy for Valentine. I have a bassinet that goes in our pram, and I use it in the house too, but with Z I just used to put it on the floor. So I want to get a stand for it for Valentine so it's easier to use around the house.

Edited by EDZ, 10 June 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#57 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Afternoon ladies,

I have just come back from a fun weekend away with a couple of friends on the coast, luckily the weather was great the whole time, started rainnig after dinner last night, so we got away fairly early this morning and headed back to the pouring rain in Sydney.  Glad to be home.

I have been a bit naughty.  I was not very impressed that the friends we went away with  had been making comments for months about me not drinking etc and had spread rumours to other friends long before we were ready to announce our pregnancy,  So I just didn't say anything the whole weekend about it.  Just as we were leaving a said - we should do this again next year, we'll bring the baby it'll be great.  1/2 hour later in the car I get text messages saying "did we hear you correctly".  I havent replied I am just letting them stew.

As for feeling emotional - not really, but I have woken myself up twice in the last week crying from a bad dream - just stupid deams where people have been mean to me or excluded me from things - mostly feeling 12yo again so I guess I am subconsciously feeling emotional.

#58 Turquoise1

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Chief Pancake Maker - I relate! Usually I feel balanced and calm but I'm more like a 16yo. I'm very easily offended and really quick to react. Yesterday I was really curt and judgamental to my fiance because I thought he'd called me an animal. I realised I had toootally misheard him - the joys of two languages coming together. I can laugh now but...I haven't felt these flashes of sensitivity and defensiveness since being a teenager. Lightbulb moment - maybe I have the same hormones now as during puberty?

Back to the EB birth stories - loving learning!

#59 emnut

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hi all,  been a while since I've been in here as I've needed to stay in denial a bit for the risky part of the pg for me.

A-A - glad your scan went well & hope you can sort it out & be part of the midwife program - sounds like horrid treatment you have been given.

Turquoise - sounds like you'll be ready to get straight into business to organise what you need to when you are back here.

CPM - how long are you going to let them stew for?

EDZ - I'm still not showing yet either

Hi to everyone else.  Too tired to think of what it was I was planning on saying to everyone.

I've been having weekly appointments for the past 6 weeks or so.  Have now passed the stage where we lost our last baby so feeling a bit more comfortable now.  BP is starting to rise a little bit & there has been up to 2++ of protein in the dip tests so that is all being kept an eye on.   I already take a medication for nightmare disorder that is actually a BP medication so we are hoping that will help keep BP to a minimum.  Tomorrow is the big day for our scan - really hoping that it shows that we were right to not have further testing done & no soft markers or problems are revealed.  Still undecided whether or not we want to know the sex - will most likely decide when we are there.

#60 Turquoise1

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

Hi Emnut,

Welcome back! Yep, I guess for me, knowledge is my only power right now - actually, I'm fascinated by how much I'm learning. Everyday I google a few new technical terms.

It sounds like you're having a tough time Emnut. I cannot relate to how difficult your past experience is. I just hope you've found the right professionals to support you. Even though I'm oceans away, I'm lucky to have been offered support from some respected midwives. I hope to lock in a booking for home birth very soon. But back to you - I'm thinking of you and really hoping you feel you turn whatever corners you need to turn. I'm sure you'll find a way to be gentle with yourself so you can enjoy this journey. You deserve to be happy.

Take care everyone else...I'll see how I go staying connected when fiance takes the internet away with him tomorrow.

#61 Ms_Jae

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Morning ladies..
Not much is going on.. Nugget is finally moving slightly, so my partner and I have been in awww all weekend.. lol

emnut - So glad so far is good in your pregnancy. I am not finding out the sex either.. We want to have a surprise.

I am getting bored at home these days.. Thinking of doing something at home to get some extra $$ any ideas?

Anyways.. Will be back a bit later.. belly rubs

#62 emnut

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hi all,

Turquoise - good luck without having internet - don't think I could survive.  Glad you have found helpful people from afar.  I have a great high risk ob who has been very obliging so far.

Stormgirl - glad you are getting to feel some movement

T.J. - bet it was rewarding being able to go back to BFing after your appendix.  I couldn't with DS - he was born 11 weeks perm & I was in ICU for a few days after his birth & never really managed to produce milk for him even with medication & trying every trick in the book that the NICU nurses recommended - in the end it was adding to an already stressful time.

Scan today went ok.  We didn't find out sex but have it written in a sealed envelope in case we change our mind.  No soft markers were found which was a relief but we have to go back because baby wouldn't cooperate with having pictures of the heart taken.  Also a tad on the small side with the abdomen slightly out of proportion & lowish fluid levels but none of that is unexpected & will just be kept an eye on & it was already decided that from 24 weeks I will be having fortnightly growth scans & weekly scans to check placenta function.  So overall happy & get to see bub again in a week to try to get better heart pics.  

Really starting to think about when I will stop working now & whether it is worthwhile stopping soon so I can rest as much as possible and not be too stressed or whether being home all day every day will give me too much time to think.  With DS I got a phone call at work when my ob got results from a 24 hr urine test to go to the hospital asap, I was transferred to the city 12 hours later & he was born a few days after that so want to avoid that this time.

#63 franno

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

CPM the fun weekend away sounds awesome (although maybe not if you're not impressed with them)

Emnut welcome back. Good news on your scan. Fingers crossed for the extra piccies next week let us know.

Stormgirl - lucky thing I can't feel the baby yet even though my 2nd. I have an anterior placenta. Do you sew? Those taggie blankets for babies seem to be popular.

Annie - my cravings are similar and it's a boy :-) first time was sweet things and I had a girl!!

No news from me. All status quo. Big belly, not feeling bubs, feeling fine. Boring huh?

Except I don't want to repeat posts but both days on the weekend I spent hours in the gap sale and got a stack of stuff. I even unintentionally doubled up on stuff I had brought the first day but onesies were about 7.50!!!

#64 mellmatho

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Wishing next friday would hurry up so I can see bubs again.. Ill be 19w1d then original.gif Definately hoping to find out the gender..

Have been feeling bubs for 3 weeks now, some days I worry as  sometimes I dont feel him/her, but my dp usually puts his ears to my stomach and can hear bubs moving around so it reassures me big time.

#65 Ms_Jae

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Morning ladies,

Yes I am feeling movement more of a night than during the day.. Very light but damn feels awesome..

Franno - Wish I knew how to sew.. Nobody has ever shown me how. My mother never did anything like that, so I never had the opportunity. I would love to make my own baby clothes or even knit something..lol

Nothing else exciting is happening today.. Might just chill out and laptop and a movie later before I cook some Chow Mein for dinner.. Yummy

Belly rubs to all bbighug.gif

#66 christmasiscoming

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hi girls,

It's been a few days since I've been in to read everyone's updates ... good to hear we all seem to be doing well.

I dont have much time for personals - I have to go and work out why my damn Vacumaid just stopped working mid-vacuum ... the issues with this house is slowing killing me !!  All the things that are going wrong at the moment  rant.gif

Feeling quite good here - have started to recover from my flu-type thing that kept me awake coughing nearly all night for the past week, just that annoying dry cough that I just couldn't shake.  Finally got some pregnancy-safe cough medicine from the doctor and within 2 nights it's pretty much gone !!  Feeling much more human original.gif

We signed a contract for a new car on the weekend - just waiting on finance to go through - we went for a nice, big Kluger - plenty of room for 3 carseats across the back and we opted for the 7 seat model so that we had the option to take other people in the car if we wanted/needed.  So the stress of finding what we wanted is over, now to stress about paying for it LOL.

Bubs is moving around a fair bit - I have another hospital appointment tomorrow - not entirely sure what this one is about as I met with the midwife last week for my first appointment and then she said I have another one with "someone" but I cant remember what she said - DOH !!  I think it was with one of the obstetricians/obstetric staff??  But not sure what for ... I guess I'll find out tomorrow original.gif

And then counting down until my scan next Thursday   ddance.gif   Pink or blue ... pink or blue ... my guess is blue !!

xx

#67 BulaFiji

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

Emnut - I give it to you for having such strong will power.  There is no way that I could have the sex in an envelope and not open it, that would just tease me and the temptation would be too much for me to handle LOL

Hello ladies I had my scan yesterday at 19 weeks and found out the sex, I was wrong, I really thought I was having a girl but found out that Im having a boy!  Im like r u sure its a boy, and she pointed to babys willy, yep its a boy.  Both our mums and sisters and brothers have all had girls for their first so we thought we would follow the family trend and have a girl too but I guess we broke the pattern.  I didnt get much sleep the night before as I was so excited and anxious to find out pink or blue.  I have to say that I was a little shocked and now feel bad to say that I did feel a little sad when i heard its a boy but that was my own fault for getting so excited over wanting a girl, I couldnt help myself I bought 2 georgious pink girl outfits and my sister even bought me a beautiful pink bracelet.  So all you ladies out there I recommend you dont go shopping for clothes like I did and just wait til you find out the sex just to avoid any dissapointment. Im so happy that our baby boy is healthy and the scan was all normal, we are very lucky to be given this gift and I blame the preg hormones for making me feel that tad sad yesterday.

I think its so great to know the sex as now we can start to do up the nursery.  Im looking forward to going shopping and taking advantage of the end of financial year sales.  We need to clean out our spare bedroom and turn in into a nursery, get new carpets and paint.  I cant wait to see nursery come together.

btw Annie and Franno I also did not have any sweet cravings and I am off chocolate and am having a boy.  Also the chinese calendar baby prediction thing said I was having a boy not that I fully believe in it as I know others to have a girl and not have sweet cravings.

#68 christmasiscoming

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

*BulaFiji* Oh, congratulations on your scan and the news of your beautiful baby boy   babyboy.gif  Don't worry, I think we can all relate a little to your feelings.  I've mentally prepared myself all along that I'll be having a third boy but my inner hopes are pinned on a girl.  I find too that once I've had this 18-20wk scan I start to enjoy the pregnancy a little more.  I tend to be in a bit of self-protecting denial for the first half, in case something goes wrong I wont be so 'attached' if you know what I mean.  But after this morphology scan and finding out the sex, I think I get a little more connected with the baby and it starts to become real, and at about the same time you really start to feel the movements too which is a nice little reminder that all is good.  Like you said, you can start properly planning the nursery and thinking of boy's names too now.  Start getting excited, we're almost over the hump and then it'll be counting down the final 20weeks !!

*Emnut* I'm with BulaFiji - I couldn't have the envelope just sitting there, I'd have to open it.  The suspense would be killing me !!  

Oh, and in relation to cravings, I typically have sweet AND savory cravings all the time anyway so nothing in particular is standing out for me as being a 'craving' as such so no hints here ... with DS1 I craved donuts  huh.gif  and no real cravings with DS2 so I'm not much help for you !!

#69 ~MakkaPakka~

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hi everyone

I have been mia for the last week or two due to moving house.  

Things have been up and down.  During the shift I ended up getting mild period cramps which I thought might be irritable uterus ect.  I was talking to my sister (midwife) and she told me that it was a bit early for that.  So I went and seen my GP today and it was not the best when she couldn't find bubs heart beat with a doppler, (she spent a good 7-10 mins trying to find it).  She doesn't think anything is wrong and the cramps were due to overdoing things on the shift.  To reassure me she gave me a u/s form for a quick scan to make sure things were ok.  Unfortunatley any scan 17 weeks or after is not bulk billed (well the morph scan is but any scan after that is not), and we just don't have the money at the moment with just moving house.  I called the hospital up (early pregnancy unit) and they are only open 8.30am - 12.00 (which this was now 12:30)  she told me the only thing I can do is go to the adult emergency hospital to be checked over.  (the maternity hospital don't really deal with things like this untill after 20 weeks).    I have decided to wait another two weeks untill my morph scan.  Though if things do get worse or change at all I am straight up to the hospital.  I hate having in the back of my mind that I have had cramps and they didn't find a HB.  

Mind you my sister also told me that at this stage bubs is all over the place and can still be very hard to find.  On the good side there is no tightening of my stomach and when my GP palpitated my stomach it was all nice and soft.  

I can't wait for my scan, I will be hoping to find the sex out, with our first our DD had her legs firmly crossed and so she was a surprise.  We were convinced she was a boy seeing DH has three brothers.  All the other bubs were nice enough to show what they were at the scans.  Had to laugh with DS I said are you sure it is a boy - and she told me that if it was a girl, she had some very large testicles *LMAO*

Cravings:  I am craving salty foods, mostly crappy chips (cheesels or burger rings) I have this with all pregnancies.  I also crave ice for some reason too.

I started to feel bubs move at 15 and half weeks, I was quite surprised as with the others I was further along, maybe this being #5 I am starting to pick up on the feeligns a bit earlier *LOL*  I don't feel her move very often but when I do it is like a flutter.   Mind you I think I have only felt him/her move once since having all the drama.  Still I am being postive and know thigns will be fine  happy.gif

Edited by ~MakkaPakka~, 13 June 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#70 Batmansunderpants

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Sorry no time or personals, but I have read all updates and will post soon.

#71 Heather-Elizabeth

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

No baby news, but found out today that in 2 weeks I will be unemployed. I was on a temp contract and the new Principal has decided I have to re-apply for my job. But since she already has someone in mind for the job I don't think I have much chance. I will apply anyway, but I'm not holding my breath.

So a nice bit of stress for the week.

Still 2 weeks until my scan, so looking forward to it. Haven't felt any movement yet.

#72 10to10

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hi everyone, a while again since I've posted. Not much to report really. I'm very jealous of the bumps & people feeling movements, but I'm only 16 weeks tomorrow and it's my first so I guess I have a while to go yet before I can expect to feel anything. To those of you who have already had babies - do you think you feel movements earlier with a second one just because you know what to look out for? If so, can you describe what it feels like? I want to be prepared to feel him/her as soon as possible!
MakkaPakka - I hope you're settling in nicely into your new home. It must have been a bit worrying not finding a HB at the last check-up but your sister's probably right and if your GP's not worried then you probably just need to take it easy. It's a good reason to put your feet up and get some rest!
EDZ - Fingers crossed you get good news about your job..

#73 catty81

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hi girls,
Hope everyone is well.  
Just a quick post - we are having our scan today.  I'm cheating a bit as i'm 18.4 weeks!  So excited but already being pressured to tell if we find out what we are having.
My sister told me she will bribe my 4 year old into telling her.  I am really angry about this.  I want my DD to be involved and not feel pressured by petty people with their own agendas.  
Will update later.
Have a great day!

#74 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Had my 2nd GP appt today.  Took blood pressure, found babies heart beat (was a little slow, but she said it was probably sleeping), measured fundal height - was higher than I thought, but that's lying down  - I can only feel the bump when standing up and I got my flu vax - I was supposed to pay for it but she stole it from the over 65's stash.

I am going shopping tonight to buy some more clothes as even though I just look like I've got a bit a of fat roll I only have 2 pairs of pants that I can button up - going to get some tunic dresses that I can wear over tights that should get me through winter.

Makkapakka thats really stressful, I am sure everything is ok and you just did over do it.

10to10 I am only 16 weeks 3 days so my bump is still only a fat roll and I definitely cant feel any movement, plus I have an anterior placenta so it will be even longer to feel.

Catty81 I think it is soooo rude of people not to just respect your wishes - it makes no difference to your sister what sex it is.  I would suggest not telling your 4yo if your sister is so untrustworthy - 4yo are terrible at keeping secrets anyway - give her a doll or something to get her excited, she wont mind what sex it is.

#75 onthecoast

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hi all - just wanted to drop in and say that I got my final test results back yesterday from a high trisomy 21 (DS) and we are all clear... original.gif we also found out what we are having because we just felt like we needed to connect a little after feeling so lost for the past 3 - 4 weeks...

so its clear sky's for us for now in the baby game!  also had my first midwives appointment this morning for booking in and they were just so lovely.. so I'm feeling very looked after at the moment.  original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.