Due in November, 2012 Chat Thread #8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#26 catty81

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hi Girls,
It's freezing up here in Kinglake and our power keeps going out which makes it even worse!

Annie your disappearing bump made me giggle.  I was like that at first too.

Stormgirl I'm sorry your 1st half has been boring.  I'm sure it will be a lot more eventful as the weeks progress.  Don't stress about not feeling any movements yet - with my first I didn't feel a thing until after 20 weeks, then my second around 14 weeks.  People think I'm crazy but I swear I felt this bubba at 12 weeks.  Also, it can be hard to recognise if you've never felt it before.

Does anyone have their names yet?  I made the mistake of telling DD4 she can help choose.  Now she is insisting we name the baby either Jasmine or Aladdin lol

#27 Ms_Jae

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Catty.. I am just anxious to get things going.. Need to keep my mind off things.. Thinking of doing something from home while I wait.. Extra money would be nice..

This morning is really nice and sunny here but its cold. Hoping it warms up a bit later, might go for a walk.

Turq - How did you go with the midwife student?

#28 otm

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

TJ- I had a boy last time original.gif Yes I craved oranges like no tomorrow and usually Im not a huge citrus eater- I enjoy mandarins but that was really it. I hope the week goes quick for you and next week is a bit more relaxed!!

Bulafiji- Yes have had dizzy spells sad.gif Not often thankfully and its usually after a shift at work. I HAVE to sit down as otherwise I just cant recover. I thought it was from not drinking enough but who knows. I hope you get some answers soon

MissCookie- Thanks original.gif Im finding it hard to carry DS too. Sometimes I feel like a balloon (which is of course when he wants to be picked up!) How exciting for your scan- I havent booked mine yet- waiting for another OB appt for my referral which isnt for another 2 weeks.

Catty81 Hey I dont mind 'Jasmine' errr provided it's a girl of course LOL!!

Its so cold here lately but somehow Im getting by without a dryer!

Just a question also, when are you all going to start baby shopping? I remember having it pretty much all done by 20 weeks last time and the rest of my gestation was kind of boring- Im thinking about starting at 25 weeks this time, do you think thats too late?

Edited by otm, 06 June 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#29 franno

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

Loads of stuff written since I last posted so I'll try to reply:

OTM - I am an early shopper but 25w is definately not too late. Watch out for the sales and pick things up here and there.

Catty - we have girls names secured but as we are having a boy we are now struggling. We have a long list of names we like but don't love. DD3 is getting no say :-)

Annie - I am 17w with an anterior placenta and I can't feel it. I always said I felt DD at 16w but that can't be the case. I do get feelings sometimes and wonder if it's the baby but can't be sure. Interesting about the back pain, hadn't heard that but I have been at the physio twice for a sore back last week and week before.

Turquoise - mo home birth for me. Infant I need to work out how I can get to the hosp as soon as contractions start, for some reason I feel safer there than at home. Was induced with DD so that shouldn't be a problem.

So I went to ob yesterday. Luckily when I arrived and had to pee on the sugar and protein stick I asks asked them to take a sample to check my UTI had cleared up. Then I reminded my ob that I had asked them already to take a sample. So turns out if have white cells in my urine that cold be urine infection or some other bacteria that needs to be treated. She said it could cause a fever and miscarriage so I am freaking out. She took another sample to culture (about 1 week) and gave me antibiotics. I am freaking out and was awake in the night wondering how an infection could affect the baby. She said no but I am sure she means physically - what about if it years to come its diagnosed with a learning disability or something ?? we would never know if it's as a result of this but thank god I asked them to test again!!
My 20week scan is in 3 weeks today. Then I can book my 3d scan for between 28-32 weeks. Didn't with dd but in Oz the quality of the other scans was much better than singapore photo wise and this bub won't have much to go on as I get terrible pics and no DVDs.

My other dilemma is that my mum who lives in nz told me on the weekend that she must be in nz for the week beginning 19th. She has to give evidence in a trial and will be made to be there apparently. So I am due the 12th and was induced 8 days late with DD. really really want her to be there so thinking of asking for induction around the 14th. Seeing as I was induced before I kind of thought I might need to be again. Horrible situation.

#30 mellmatho

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (otm @ 06/06/2012, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a question also, when are you all going to start baby shopping? I remember having it pretty much all done by 20 weeks last time and the rest of my gestation was kind of boring- Im thinking about starting at 25 weeks this time, do you think thats too late?

I plan on using the money we get back at tax time, so It will be after 25weeks.

#31 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Hi Anie82 I also have an anterior placenta.  I hadn't really thought about it except I was also told it will take longer to feel the kicks.  

I have to say the novelty of telling people has worn of I am just letting the grapevine spread it now.

#32 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I just need to vent, and will come back for personals later.  

I have had a rough week this week.  Monday afternoon, I was supposed to have my first appointment at the hospital with the OB.  I was really nervous about it, so convinced DH to take time off work to come with me.  The hospital is 40 minutes away, so DH was a bit peeved, as he is really busy with work at the moment.  When we got there, they wanted my scan results, but my scan isn't until Friday (which they knew when they made the OB appointment!) so because I didn't have those results, they cancelled the appointment  and rebooked it - for the end of July!  Nearly two months away.  So I will be over 6 months pregnant by then.  The receptionist was so rude.  I asked her what I was supposed to do with the results of my scan then, and she said just wait for the appointment, as she can't get me in sooner. (and rolled her eyes at me).  But that would put me at 27 weeks!  What if there is a problem?  8 weeks is a long time to wait for results.  Luckily, I have a good GP, so I rang her and made an appointment for next week, and she said she will help me sort it all out.  

So, Monday's appointment was supposed to be my 18/20 week appointment, and according to the booklet, I am supposed to have a 24 and 28 week appointment with the midwives as well, but I can't book those appointments until after the one with the OB because they have to give the all clear for me to go into the midwife program.  So, basically, now I won't get into the midwife program.  sad.gif Which was the whole point of going public.

So, now I am thinking that if I can't sort it out and get into the midwifery program, I will try to find and IM and have a homebirth.  But I have spent the week ringing around, and it looks like that will cost in excess of $7k because of where I live.  So, now I don't know if I can afford it.  It is all so confusing.  

I am looking forward to the scan on Friday, and I hope that will put me back in a positive frame of mind.  Because at the moment, I feel like a mess. I feel so isolated and alone.   cry1.gif

#33 flyingfree

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hi all, long time lurker, I don't post much

Baby Shopping -I have a few things for bub, will be getting some bigger items in the toy sales (target is a good one) since you have until bub is born to get it and with my history I don;t want stuff here until closer to the time bub is due, unless I can get it for free which I have managed to get a few freebies so far:)

A Andy- it would be been so annoying going all that way to get turned around, 8 weeks if definetely a long time between appointments and I would be trying to get one in between,  I had 12 weeks between appts (16-28 weeks) with my angel Ruby with two scans at 19 and 21.4 weeks and thought it should of been closer together and wish it had been since she passed away in that time.  is there another hospital 'that's not to far away you can try to get into.  Good luck on Friday.

15 weeks today and i have my first appointment at King Edward tomorrow and hoping i will get extra monitoring over the next 8 weeeks to check the baby's growth

#34 annie82

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

Andy - What a crappy way to be treated. If I were you, and I'm sorry for the unrequested advice (please feel free to ignore) I would call back the hospital and explain what happened to you, explain what you're worried about (not getting into the midwife program and that you have no other options; cry if you need to, sometimes that helps), and ask them what you should do. If you get the same crappy woman or someone else who is unhelpful, ask to speak to their supervisor, and then do the same thing. If still no luck, ask to speak to an obstetrician. If they say no, ask to leave a message and to have someone call you back.

In fact, if that doesn't work, and you can cope with the stress of it, I'd keep doing it every day until they give you an appointment.  My bum they don't have one for two months.  

I'm not very good at being assertive but as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and it's your health and piece of mind at stake here.

Best of luck with it, I hope you find a solution to it all.

On a general note - does anyone know of a good site or have a list of the stuff I need to buy? I am totally clueless, I  have some idea that there's a lot of stuff to get (and I'm saving up) but I'd really like a list I can check off.  So far all I have is a bassinet, a porta-cot, a high chair and a pram (all of these were given to me which is so nice). I think we can hire a car capsule from our hospital... Help please! original.gif

#35 Batmansunderpants

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

AA - I'm sorry you are being treated like sh*t! You should Definately call back and speak to someone gain. I can't believe they would make you wait that long! Maybe your GP cn call them for you. I would be beside myself in your situation.

Cheifpancakemaker - yep novelty is gone here too. My big tummy is doing the talking now.

OTM - not much shopping to do here, but it wll be closer to November I think as we have tax to pay first.

Franno - I'm sure if they found something in your urine they old call you for treatment. It's still scary though. All you can do is ask for the induction date you want.  Hope they let you.

Rubylilysmum - good luck for tomorrow.

Annie - there should be a list pinned in the pregnancy section, otherwise google is your friend original.gif

I have exploded over the last few days. I finally feel pregnant!

#36 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Annie, do you have an iphone/ipad?  There is an app I have, called "sprout" which has a checklist (as well as a calendar and weight recorder etc). I really like it.  

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  GP appt is Tues next week, and I am going to see if she will call the OB on my behalf and try to get me in.

#37 Turquoise1

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Bulafiji and Stormgirl - I had a greeat Skype chat with the Midwife student yesterday. She was really supportive and informative - glad I made that connection.

Annie82 - The health system is very good here - I had an internal scan at 8 weeks and external at 12 weeks. I could probably get a scan every fortnight if I really wanted for the equivalent of $55AUD each consultation. The blood test was more expensive but it was 2 pages of results. If anything my dr was a little forceful in suggesting the amnio test but I'll go for the triple blood test for d syndrome etc soon. My Turkish is bad so it's good that the dr speaks English...or my fiance would help out.

Miss Cookie - I have always adored my friends but this latest separation has taught me alot. I never want to be isolated from them again. Balancing my travelling passion with that awareness will be interesting.

Everyone else - It sounds like you're all doing the right things to prepare for your babies. I have been unable to book a hospital and I have nooo necessities for the baby yet but as someone said about how we all experience the baby differently, we are normal. I'm using this time to research midwives, labour tips, techniques and coping with a newborn strategies. I'm getting excited about developing an approach to childbirth to try and make it easier for me and Coconut.

Take care everyone!

#38 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Andy That sucks.  Receptionists at the hospital are so rude.  The recetionists at the private ultrasound clinic were so nice and polite and do exactly the same job as the ones at the hospital ultrsound clinic - yet they are so rude.  Is it possible just to get a single appt with a private ob just to get your all clear for the midwifery program?

I had our director at work come upt to me yesterday and congratulate me - gee news travels fast.  Am knacker this week and are so bust - so waiting for this long weekend away.

#39 BulaFiji

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hello ladies.

Turquoise 1 - I didnt know they had 4yr student midwives, I thought it went to 3yrs.  Im glad your enjoyed your skype session with your student midwife such a great idea!  I am convinced to get a student midwife now.  I had a 1st year student approach me but I would really prefer someone in their 3rd year with bit more training and work experience behind them!  There is a thread on here about students who are looking for preg ladies, I replied but havent heard back yet.  Im going to ring Uni today to find one!  I havent even thought about labour tips, now you have me interested in learning on ways to make birth easier, I have no idea so much to learn and think about!  If you have any good knowledge books etc refer them on original.gif

franno - Im like u I have secured girls names, I have so many girls names that I love but am finding it hard to pick a boys name, I have a few but like you dont have any that I love.  5 more sleeps til I find out the sex, I shouldnt have a preference but I cant help wish its a girl!

otm - I havent started my shopping yet either and wk 25 is not late at all.  Im going to wait til I find out the sex next week and then start looking around.  Im planning on buying at end of June hoping there will be lots of financial end of year discount sales!  I am lucky that my sister has passed down her cot and bassinet and portacot.  I have a few people wanting to give me their 3 wheeler prams but I dont know if I should take one of those or buy a multi one that has a capsule that can go from the pram straight into the car?  Pram shopping seems so difficult with sooo many choices.  Does anyone else have suggestions?

Andy - I was tossing up between public midwifery group and public obst.  I didnt get accepted into midwifery group as they are full so my decision was made to go private.  Do you have private health insurance, is private an option for you?  I hope your GP can get you into a scan sooner otherwise I would get your gp to see if they can book you into another place even if you have to pay for the scan it will give you peice of mind.  I cannot believe that public are making you wait 2 months to get a scan thats rediculous.  Im 18wks preg and I have lost track of how many scans I have had, think about 7?  I see my obt every 4 weeks and have a scan i was also going to public hospital apts and had scans there too.  I had an ultrasounds at my gps rooms and another two in emergency!  

Thanks to everyone for their replies, it made me feel better that others have also experienced dizzy spells I feel sorry for you, its not a nice feeling.  Gee its hard work being preg, what our bodies have to go through!  I still have vertigo but I only feel a bit dizzy when I lye down in bed at night and still have to get up and turn soooooo slowly so I dont spin out.  I got my blood test results back and they are all good what a releif, my Iron is normal and I dont have gestational diabetes hooray.  My obst said that the vertigo is not preg related and its caused by inbalance in ears.  I am continuing to have physio on my neck and doing exercises to help with the balance in my ears and am feeling better but just cant wait til the vertigo leaves so I can go back to driving and doing things without spinning out!

#40 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hi Bulafiji,

Just to clarify, the scan is tomorrow, is is the appt with the OB I can't get until the end of July.  original.gif

I get really bad dizzy spells too (and have fainted a few times).  My GP said mine is just due to low blood pressure, and all I can do is keep hydrated, and slow down.

I think I might ask to see if I can get the GTT done early though, just to be safe, as there is a VERY strong family history of GD.  I didn't have it with DS, but my sister did through all 3 of her pregnancies, and my Mum did with all of us, too, and all of my aunts and cousins who have had pregnancies have ALL had GD except me!

#41 BulaFiji

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hi Andy, Im glad your scan is tommorow I hope it all goes well, keep us posted. I had my GTT done at 17wks, my obs didnt see a need for me to have it done as he said its too early so I asked another obs at public hospital apt who booked it in.  My sister had GD for both her pregnancies so I thought its possible that I might have it but I dont, so hopefully you dont have it either.

#42 Batmansunderpants

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

T.J - it's frustrating how varied different doctors are. With my son I had my scan at 18 weeks, and with this one it will be 19 weeks and 3 days. Are you finding out the gender? Ive put on 5kg already. It's good o hear your bP is stable though.

Turquoise - you sound more organized than anyone. I'm glad your study midwife is being helpful. I am having a studn visit me at home next week which I think is great.

CPM- bring on the long weekend!

Bulafiji - there is a virus going around ith vertigo as a part of it. I had it a few months ago and it was terrible. I was dizzy even when laying down.

AA - good luck with your scan. Is there anyone at the hospital you can speak to about your family history of GD? It is very concerning that no one will listen to you.

Nothing happening here, just getting rounder. Does anyone have a feeling about the gender of their bubs? Everyone but me thought my son would be a girl. I have a feeling this time it is a girl but I will be happy either way.

#43 Turquoise1

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:03 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm really enjoying E Baby at the moment - my latest addiction is reading people's birth stories. The home birth forum is great (even if dated). I'm really attracted to a home water birth - just not attracted to the price. I guess one way to look at it is that it will be one of the most, most, most important days of my (and fiance's...and Coconut's) life. I'm focused on it being a calm, connected intuitive environment with people I respect. I've put more thought into this than my future wedding day.

Bulafiji - I haven't read books yet but I want to compile everything I've read on the net about the subtleties of labour I didn't know before. I also want to do a Hypno birthing or Calm birthing course - I'm a big belıever in body and mind connection. If you're interested, maybe PM me your email address and I'll forward the info (from pain relief to...how to support your labour).

Miss Cookie - it's a bit scary being away and not organising the material things and hospital so I'm compensating with research now as I'll be busy when I hit Melbourne. Well done on exploding! I look forward to that.

Gotta go for a yummy salad my fiance has made. 'See' you soon!

#44 Ms_Jae

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Morning everyone,

Miss Cookie - I have a feeling I am having a girl, but I am not going to find out until nugget comes into this world.

Turq - I have been reading birth stories too.. Everyone is so different its amazing..

My DP is concerned I havent had a checkup in a while and I am still waiting 2 weeks until I have my booking in appointment. Should I go to my GP to check or should I just wait it out. I have only had the dating scan with no other checks.
Just dont want to look desperate.. lol

Not much happening today, just going to relax and enjoy the long weekend here. Might go for a walk along the beach tomorrow and enjoy the seabreeze biggrin.gif

Enjoy your day ladies.. belly rubs..

#45 catty81

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hey girls, I'm kinda blah right now.  The kids had yesterday off for a teachers strike, then a curriculum today and finally Monday will be a public holiday.  I'm so sick of the fighting already!
To make things worse my DH has gone on a boys weekend and won't be home until late Monday.  I had the biggest sook when he was leaving, TBH I think he was probably glad to get away!

Andy good luck for your scan today!

Stormgirl maybe just go visit your GP and have a quick checkup.  It can't hurt and no one will think less of you for wanting to be sure your baby is ok.  Being anxious is not good for you or bubs.

TJ Good to hear your BP is ok.  Hope it stays that way.

Miss Cookie I don't have a feeling re: gender but I have to be honest and say I am really hoping for a girl.  I am actually a bit paranoid about what if it's a boy.  Ultimately I will be happy for a healthy bub but I freak out every time I think it could be a boy.  I'm not even sure why.

Today I am going to do some major baby shopping.  Well that's the plan anyway...  right now snuggling with my 4 year old watching disney movies is more appealing!

Oh, has anyone heard about a recall on Maxi Cosi baby capsules?  I was planning on buying one today but heard that there was a recall though I can't find anything to support this.  They aren't on baby buntings website anymore...  I did all my research and decided that was the safest option, now I have to find something else!

#46 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

Just a quick one - scan went well.  Baby measuring spot on for dates.  biggrin.gif

Now, to see if next week is better than this one.  GP appointment on Tuesday.  After that hopefully I should have a better idea where I stand.

#47 BulaFiji

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Miss Cookie,
Someone else told me that there was a vertigo virus going around, far out, what next!  Feel sorry for you, its awful.  How long did it take you to get over it, and how did you get over it, did you do exercises or just got rid of it with time?
Catty81,
Im same as you wanting girl and feeling sad if its a boy, wish I didnt feel that way, keep telling myself not to get dissapointed. Hurry up Tuesday so I can find out.....
Turquoise,
you amaze me how organised you are and about the things you are reading, I havent even thought of Hypno birthing!  I would be interested in some info, I tried to PM you but for some reason my message did not send I keep getting error message, I dont know why I cant PM anyone.  Are you able to PM me then hopefully I can reply to you with my email address.
Yeah the long weekend is here, im so looking foward to not working and taking it easy hopefully my vertigo will go away.  Happy long weekend to ya all.

#48 Turquoise1

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Hi lovely ladies,

I think I'm getting enough rest for everyone here - it's been my instinct but also the product of allowing myself to be bored in this city with limited food and entertainment options.

Stormgirl - it sounds like you are on top of things. I like the sound of your walks and reading others' stories. Go with your instincts of being pro-active so you know there is no need to worry. When I get back to Melbourne, I can't wait to work or I'll do some volunteer work to keep me busy. The 2nd part of my pregnancy will be colourfully busy.

Is everyone else quick to be sensitive? My fiance and I are having a lovely time before he leaves on Tuesday but when he says something thoughtless I snap and express my intoloerance...probably environment based but I have been teary a fair bit - I guess it's hormones.

Bulafiji - I'll PM you now.

Take care!

PS - My fiance is convinced we'll have a boy. He was right when he insisted I was pregnant while I was in denial. I do want a boy but we'll learn the gender in about a month. If it's a girl, I'll work to get ready to welcome her. My Mother and I had a challenging relationship and I will want to prepare for a totally different connection with my baby.

#49 Heather-Elizabeth

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

Not sure who it was, but my doctor said that Milton is not really recommended anymore as it kills the natural bacteria in the mouth and can cause the baby to get oral thrush. I used a microwave steriliser in hospital, but once we were home, we just washed in detergent and rinsed in hot water then let air dry.

Since DS is so young, we still have all his baby stuff, so we wont need to buy anything this time. We even bought the second seat for the pram when I was pregnant with DS so that we would have it. Thank goodness we did because the colour we have has been discontinued, so I wouldn't be able to get it now.

I had a doctors appointment last week. My regular doctor was away, so her husband had to see me. He was so funny, he had no idea what to check for, so I had to tell him. He checked for my uterus and it is still way own in my pelvis, so he wasn't sure he would get the heartbeat. Thankfully he did, because I was starting to freak out since the doctor hadn't found it at my 12 week appointment.

So I'm now 16 weeks. I'm not showing at all, I'm actually wondering how far along I can get before people start to notice. At this rate I'm thinking I could get well into the 3rd trimester. We haven't been telling people, I actually have no desire to tell anyone. I was waiting until after my son's first birthday, because I was thinking people might be less judgmental about me having another baby on the way when my first is 1, as opposed to him being under 1. Now I am thinking I don't really want to tell anyone. They can find out when we announce the birth!

As for gender preference... I would really love a girl, especially since I already have a boy, but part of me thinks it would be really nice for DS to have a brother so close in age to him. So I really don't have much of a preference.
I do have a feeling that Valentine is another boy though. But DH thinks it's a girl. So I guess one of us will be right.

#50 Turquoise1

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi all,

Just a quickie - where do I find the forum/topic on products for babies that were unnecessary...or necessary?

PS - EDZ - I just can't relate to people being judgamental of two babies born within or close to a year of each other. My friend was finally blessed with a boy, then when he was 10 months old, along came beautiful Grace. My friend proudly announced on her birthday that in the last year, she'd been blessed with 2 babies. She's made to be a Mum and her babies play happily together. It never crossed my mind that anyone could judge her. On another note, I relate to not showing but I have a feeling I'll pop in the next week or 2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.