NOV DIG girls- have you started shopping?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Spring Chickadee

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'm starting to think about all the bits and pieces we'll buy before Bub arrives.

I am not a good last minute girl, and given I'll have a few massive projects on at work towards the end of my pregnancy I'd like to get plenty done ahead of time.

So I'm now getting ready to get some shopping done! I'm in the predicament of trying to figure out how much I should not buy as I'll likely receive some things in gifts. Baby shower will be 35+ women.  

I've already got (from Pre pregnancy and recent weeks) 1/3 of the clothes bub will need, some books, an ergo+hug a bub, breastfeeding pillow, bath.

I'm planning to buy a set of drawers (which we'll put the change mat on) and a cot in the coming weeks. The carpet in the babies room is going down on Friday so It's completely empty now.

What have you bought? plan to buy soon?

#2 mellmatho

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

So far all we have is the cot that we used with my daughter, a few singlets and growsuits..

Have to wait till July to fully get everything... Starting all over again as my daughter is 7

#3 funnygirls

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

I got a pram on the weekend after much research on what I wanted. Very happy with the purchase.

I'm going to wait on the cot and change table till I see a good package on sale (maybe end of year sales?)

I've purchased a couple of unisex baby clothes, but I'll wait till I find out the sex and after my baby shower. But it is hard not to buy things!

#4 lady_Mosh

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

oohhhhh I've been trying my hardest to hold off on the shopping!!!

We need some big ticket items (like a new car....) before i can start buying up on all the other bits and pieces. And since i havent been back to work since i started mat leave the 1st time, it's harder to hide the shopping bags from DH  biggrin.gif

But since it will be only 2 yrs between DD and the little one, there's not too much that we'll need. I'll be finding out the gender this time so will wait until then to start getting clothes. If it's another girl, i wont have to buy a thing - i still have clothes with tags on them from when she was born!!

My parents and in-laws have very very kindly offered to buy us the double pram (bugaboo donkey) so i'm stalking all the online baby stores to see when they'll put them on sale...

If i could offer some advice, try super hard to resist the temptation to buy clothes!!! You'll get given soooo much!! Also, if you're having a large baby shower, you'll be overwhelmed by peoples' generosity so try to wait until after then.

Hope all you ladies are feeling good!!!

Nat x

Edited by lady_Mosh, 15 May 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#5 luckynumber2

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Funnygirl what pram did you get if you dont mind me asking?
I have been looking and its REALLY confusing to know what to go for.

A friend showed me his baby car seat that actually swings around at 90 degrees so that the baby faces you when you put them in/take them out of the car. Save your back and so much easier! Amazing what they offer.

Other than the pram and car seat I will wait until after the baby shower to shop.

#6 Batmansunderpants

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Nothing yet! I will hold off till we know the sex as if we have another boy I won't need clothing as they will both be born in the same month.

Rachel5 - wow, that car seat sounds amazing.

#7 Spring Chickadee

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Funnygirl - yes what pram did you get? I'm looking at getting the Baby Jogger City Select, love the flexibility of it.

A friend showed me his baby car seat that actually swings around at 90 degrees so that the baby faces you when you put them in/take them out of the car. Save your back and so much easier! Amazing what they offer.

What carseat is that?

#8 Scot in Oz

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

I haven't had my 12 week scan yet- monday original.gif  original.gif - so not even thinking about buying things. I think I'm just a little scared to tempt fate but I know if I have a good scan (fingers crossed) I'll be hitting online stores! Would love pram advice .....

#9 suzy-c

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

I bought a pack of Dickies square cloth nappies! Excellent for nappies, as well as putting on shoulders while burping, to catch those lovely baby spews down your back.

DS2 was born sleeping in 2009 and most of the things we'd accumulated for him, were donated away during the floods. I only held back the case of MCN's I'd bought, as they cost me a flipping fortune. So I have those.

The bassinet is DP's family bassinet, that held him and his 5 brothers in succession over the years. It will need a $39.95 mattress, and we're sewing the linen ourselves. We're also sewing re-usable wipies, nappy liners, wraps, curtains and a bit of maternity wear.

The materials for liners and wipies are abundant this time of year, as the secondhand stores fill up with pre-loved flannelette sheets. We'll only need 2 or 3 to get enough.

So have we started shopping? Yes and no. We're re-purposing surplus linen we already have, first. There isn't any money to buy anything that can be sewn, begged or borrowed.  

#10 funnygirls

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

I wanted a pram that could be reversed (facing forward and backwards) and I liked the idea of a bassinette that turned into a seat.

I ended up getting the Bebe Care Reverse on sale for $475. It seems easy to use and reasonable priced compared to other prams. And because it converts from a bassinette to a seat, I didn't have to buy a bassinette attachment. It also has the option of adding a toddler seat in the future.

Happy shopping Ladies!

#11 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

I haven't bought a thing.  I keep reminding myself that the end of financial year sales are just around the corner.  Also, Target periodically have a big baby sale.  They are excellent to wait for and then stock up.  

I will probably buy something for the baby after my morph scan on 8th June.

#12 Ms_Jae

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

I have the cot, change table, rocker, swing, and some clothes.. Got the car seat on layby.

I like being prepared so I am hoping to have everything ready by 30 weeks.

#13 lelula

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Guilty as charged. We couldn't help ourselves, we like to be organised (did the same for our wedding - then sat around wondering what to do for months!). We've got our cot and port-a-cot, car seat is on layby and we decided we'd like to try a sling so we ordered one online to get plenty of practice in...hopefully bubs likes it but it wasn't expensive either way. Pram shopping? Doing my head in!

#14 franno

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

Sort of, brought some clothes in the pumpkin patch sale a while ago, blue because I thought it was a boy and thought I can give as gifts if it's a girl. Buying bugaboo bee (have the chameleon and a Maclaren) and a maxi-cozi that's all for the big things (oh and maybe a swing) and a bumbo otherwise just some new Muslims and things like that. Have change table, cot, Moses basket, bjorn, pump, breast feeding pillow , play gym....

Oh and today I found out its a BOY! Found out with DD and didn't even tell my DIG!! So I went to Zara and brought the cutest little overalls and t-shirt and going back for a shop up this weekend.  Surprised as I have DD and my miscarriage last year was a girl so I thought we made girls !!

Shopaholic for DD she has drawers full of clothes with labels on them and I have even brought a size 5 when she was 2 (she is now 3) so I think easier to be contained with a boy as the clothes are not as cute.

With DD we had most of the clothes and all the big purchases done by 16 weeks, otherwise I tend to stress about that kind of stuff.

#15 shoopdeboop

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Wow you ladies are so organised. I haven't thought about buying a thing yet. I think I am waiting til I have a bump and it seems more real.. lol.

#16 Spring Chickadee

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Is it ridiculous I just booked my newborn photographer  ph34r.gif

I can't help it! getting things done makes me feel all the more ready (and slightly less nervous) about the baby.

The new carpet is going down in the babies room today so I'll go looking for a set of drawers in the coming days.

Edited by Spring Chickadee, 17 May 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#17 funnygirls

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

I put a car seat on layby last night! It was on sale and I was happy to cross another item off the list.

#18 luckynumber2

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

Sorry, this is from my last post on shopping.the car seat swings around at 90 degrees so that the baby faces you when you put them in/take them out of the car is called a turn-a-tot.

#19 luckynumber2

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Sorry things keep popping into my head, just trying to think of anything might help...On the expert advice of several mum girlfriends I went to target and got a pair of their maternity tights. As advised they are really comfortable-very happy with them. I am already showing, so I need to stock up on some warm winter clothes.

#20 little lion

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

I bought the maternity footless tights from Target too. I'm finding them very comfy, they seem to have lots of growing room.

In terms of other shopping I have most of the big ticket items nada fair selection of gender neutral clothes. I am an avid sales shopper and started my shopping back when I was TTC.

#21 Heather-Elizabeth

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

DH and I always planned on having our first 2 close together, so we bought the Strider Plus when I was pregnant with Z. We bought the second seat at the same time and the capsule and bassinet. Z has long ago outgrown the bassinet and capsule, so they are put away ready for Valentine. When we get closer to the due date I will grab out the second seat for the pram and play around with it. We also had a cradle for Z, he is now in the cot, so we can get the cradle set up for V.

DH and I also do foster care, so we have baby clothes in boys to size 5 and girls to size 3, so we don't have much else we need to buy clothing wise, not that it stops me when I see cute things.

I'd like to buy a sling and a bumbo this time around, but we'll manage if we don't get anything extra.

I also use MCN, but I have enough for 3 or 4 kids here, so I haven't really been getting more for V (only 3 so far I swear!)

#22 christmasiscoming

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hi,

I started shopping - well, sort of - on the weekend.  DH and I bought a new bookcase for DS2 on the weekend in readiness for the new baby.  We have Boori furniture (cot, drawers with change mat and bookcase) currently in DS2's room and so we will buy new 'big boy' furniture for him over the next few months and free up the baby furniture for the new baby.  So next we will get the matching drawers and then finally a big boy bed !!  He's only 15months old now so he'll be in the cot for a while longer yet but the plan is that by about March/April next year he'll be two and we can move him into his new bed and in the meantime the baby can be our bassinet until the time comes to move either one of them.

That's my plan ... so long as this new bub doesn't grow out of the bassinet too fast.  I think we've gotten both DS1 and DS2 about 5-6months in it so hoping it goes the same way this time around.

We already have a Baby Jogger City Select (with two seats and a bassinet fitting) so we're set there.  I ummed and ahhhed over whether or not to buy a double at the time wondering how much use I'll get out of it but boy I'm sure glad I did now !!  And for the record, if anyone else is looking to buy one I can highly recommend them  tthumbs.gif

Our biggest purchase is going to be a new car ... we're going to go from no car repayments to a big new one which is the sucky part but there's no way I can fit a third carseat in the back of my Rav4 so I'm looking for a big, roomy new one.  We've started shopping, especially now with all the end of financial year stuff going on so hopefully we can get a bargain !!

We'll start with hiring a capsule for the first few months and then look at buying DS1 a new seat early next year when he's 4yo, then DS2 can have DS1's MaxiRider AHR and the new bub can go into the convertible seats we have already - assuming they all fit into the backseat of my new car of course  shrug.gif   Ugghh ... it's all too hard to work out original.gif

As for the other stuff, nursery stuff, clothes etc, if this new bub is a boy then we have AMPLE boy's clothes from DS1 and DS2, some of which will probably need replacing of course and there'll be a healthy supply of new stuff added in there too because I cant help myself - assuming the sizes are inline with what the other boy's were at the same time.

If it's a girl however ....  eexcite.gif  SHOPPING HEAVEN AWAITS   eexcite.gif   You Brisbane girls will see me traipsing up and down the aisles of Westfield shopping up a pink storm !!

#23 franno

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

I am buying so many clothes even though I complained about having a boy because the clothes are not cute. There is a gorgeous French shop here organic cotton but reasonably priced called Chateau De Sable and it's divine. DD has some gorgeous things. Went in on the weekend and brought a shorts and t-shirt set 0-3 months, overalls and matching t-shirt 9-12 months and 2 sets of a onesie and rompers in size 6 months plus brought stuff from Zara and 2 online orders from pumpkin patch. My goodness !!!!!

#24 meifong16

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Target is having a sale at the moment on some of their baby items. The Sandford cot is 50% off at $174.50 (after discount). I'm quite tempted to get it. Has anyone heard of any reviews about this cot?

#25 whatnamenow

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

within days of my BFP i had bought a bassinette, and a cute little santa outfit. ( we do very big christmas lights display so had to have something to put bubs on display with us when santa and the rest of us are out there handing out the candy canes to the kiddies.)  We have repurposed a chest of drawers we were using as a tv cabinet and will buy a change mat.

I do family Day Care so already have a fair few things. The only problem being that we have a 2 story house.  so have had to buy double of some things.

mainly as my families have been selling things i have been buying for a bargain/swapping for fee's owed.
Will wait till after we find out the gender to go clothes shopping..

But we have just today bought the biggest purchase.  Our new car.  As this is child number 4 we bought a new ( second hand ) tarago.  Frustratingly our old car has 7 seats.  But older kids are too big to sit in the 3rd row and baby cant either ( no anchor point )  oh well. Done deal now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.