Removing plaque from dog teeth

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 FauxPas

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hi everyone

Since October last year we are the owners of a Japanese Spitz.  She was about 18 months when she joined us - so nearly 2 years old now.

I took her to the dog groomer this morning and he noticed that she has brown plaque build up on her canine teeth and some gum redness.  He recommended cleaning it with a baby toothbrush and some bi carb soda and strawberries (as they are acidic).

I would love some input on this?

Also - I previously owned a much larger dog and never had any issues at all.  She is on a Eukanuba diet, she has a kong, we give her bones every couple of weeks or so (so far the smoked ones and recently lamb shank ones (cooked)).

Do I need to take her to the vet to have existing plaque removed?

We love our dog and really want to do the right thing.  I never realised you had to brush their teeth but obviously will from now on!

#2 *LucyE*

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Ummm, we've never brushed our dogs' teeth and they've been fine.

We do the premium dry food and bones diet (always raw).

Our dog goes to the groomer fortnightly and our vet gives her a check over each time too (groomer works out of the vet practice). Weve never had been told to brush her teeth. Clean her ears, yes. Brush teeth, no.

#3 Guest_Nyz31_*

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

We were told to get out dogs teeth cleaned for the same reason but we just make a conscious effort to give her more bones and the next time we took her to the vet, they said her teeth were perfect.... ??? I heard that that's why doggie dentists are a new thing, coz back in the olden days, the family dog got all the leftover bones and this is what kept their teeth clean.

#4 FauxPas

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

ok  - thanks very much.

I will get more raw bones for her.  I have given her less than we gave our large dog because of risk of choking etc but happy to increase the intake.

I will clean her teeth a few times but if the plaque does not come off will take her to the vet.

#5 Unatheowl

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hi,

If your dog has visible tarter it would be best to take her to the vet and have a dental done.  That way, they can evaluate her teeth properly under a general anesthetic and see if any require removal.  After they have been cleaned properly, then you can start to maintain her teeth.

The gold standard is brushing and you can get lots of tooth brushes and doggie toothpaste.  If your dog will not allow this, then you can get dental diets which clean the teeth as they chew.  There are a few brands that do this.  You can also get additives to the water which help prevent the plaque matrix from forming (as it inevitably will).

Different dogs will have different teeth ( like people really) and some will have great teeth all their lives without effort, others will be rotting out of their heads by the time they are 3.  It depends on lots of different things, both environmental and genetic suchu as anatomy of the dental arcade.  If you see your dog does not have great teeth, a visit to the vet is a great first step.

#6 Bedge

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

I would agree with some comments above, about offering more raw bones. Maybe a few a week, depending on what size, type, and how long they last.

My older dog Jimbo, had surgery to remove a hernia so we opted to have his teeth cleaned while he was under.

You can def try brushing her teeth! Some are fine with it if you start really softly. Although, think it might be a good idea to speak to your vet to get the 'good' products and advise.

It's great you are paying attention to her teeth, people often don't realise how it can lead to major kidney problems!

Edited by Bedge, 10 May 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#7 **MrsPotatoHead**

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

With my dog I give him lots of the rawhide bone/chews and they keep his teeth super clean.  My sister noticed how clean his teeth were and said her dogs just didn't seem to stay clean even feeding him chicken necks so she started giving him the rawhide bones and his teeth are coming up nicely.  My parents used the smoked bones on their Doberman and it also made a visible difference to his teeth.

#8 la di dah

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

With good bones and charcoal chews our dogs died of old age before their teeth went more than faintly yellow by the end. But we did brush occasionally. And they weren't mash-face breeds, who often have more problems.

My cousin brushed his Retriever's teeth religiously but his dog threw up all the time, which is bad for teeth.

Tiny dogs often have bad teeth. They're all jammed together. My friend has a Maltese that is repulsive. (Teeth-wise, okay dog).

#9 ubermum

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

All my dogs have had gorgeous teeth right up until the day they died. I bought them a marrowbone from the butcher every week. Raw bones are the best dental care you can give your dog.

#10 lizb87

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

brown stuff on teeth is tartar - it wont brush off. plaque does brush off (but is colourless/not visible). plaque becomes early tartar after 2-3 days unless it is physically removed (i.e. via brushing) and tartar realy cannot be easily removed.
bones may break off tartar, but they also might fracture teeth, get stuck in the gut requiring surgery and cause pancreatits and constipation. the marrow of bones is 95% or so pure fat which is why dogs love them. my dogs never get bones as we see too many problems from them. raw is less problematic but still not great
hills t/d and other brands of bis uits have been designed with a cellulose matrix in them to scrub the teeth and in some dogs are successful. some dogs wont eat them and others inhale their biccies so they dont work always
brushing teeth every second day is ideal, but a big commitment
if your dog has brown stuff (tartar) on he teeth then a scale nd polish under GA may be required - you need a vet's opinion.

#11 FauxPas

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

yikes!  ohmy.gif     I just rang the vet and they charge $395 for a scale and clean.  Not something we can afford right now while I am on maternity leave.

I will try other vets and in the meantime - bones and tooth brushing daily it is.  I will also ask our lovely local pet shop guy about other products we can try (e.g. doggy toothpaste)

Edited by FauxPas, 11 May 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#12 ubermum

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

For your size dog, I would recommend raw chicken necks. I worked for a Samoyed breeder and that is what we gave her dogs and it is also what I give to my cats. Don't feed cooked bones, they splinter. I feed my cats chicken necks at least once per week and their teeth and breath are lovely.

#13 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

You could try flicking it off with your finger nail. Sometimes it will flake off with a teeny bit of pressure. And yes, I've done this for dogs and cat. (still have 10 fingers).

Oh, our doggies love denta bones, which are chewy and full of teeth cleaning stuff.

#14 spitzmum

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

FauxPas - I'm a Jap Spitz owner too and tartar build up is one of the few downsides of the breed.

I use Proden Plaque Off - one scoop every day in her food and it makes the tartar soft enough to scrape off with a fingernail after 6 weeks.  You keep feeding it and her teeth should stay tartar free.

http://www.plaqueoff.com/for-animals/product/

It's hard to get in Australia - but I ordered some off ebay in the UK, arrived here quickly.  One medium sized container should last at least 18 months.

#15 FauxPas

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (spitzmum @ 17/05/2012, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FauxPas - I'm a Jap Spitz owner too and tartar build up is one of the few downsides of the breed.

I use Proden Plaque Off - one scoop every day in her food and it makes the tartar soft enough to scrape off with a fingernail after 6 weeks.  You keep feeding it and her teeth should stay tartar free.

http://www.plaqueoff.com/for-animals/product/

It's hard to get in Australia - but I ordered some off ebay in the UK, arrived here quickly.  One medium sized container should last at least 18 months.

oh my! thank you!!!

I have been brushing her teeth daily (bi carb one day and doggy tooth paste next) and have given her bones almost daily (but easing off now to every second day).  The build up seem to be more pale but still there.  Her gums bleed less now that she has regular brushing.  Your recommendation will definitely be implemented asap!

I feel so neglectful actually - we try to take such good care of her and I can't believe I didn't notice the build up earlier and simply did not know about small breed teeth issues (our Mal just used to get bones).

#16 spitzmum

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Don't feel bad!  Many of the top Jap Spitz champions and grand champions have a little tartar build up - the breed can be a little finicky with a general anaesthetic, so many breeders don't put their dogs under for the scale & clean at the vet

#17 FauxPas

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks again (so much) - have just ordered a medium sized box from the UK on eBay.

original.gif

#18 runnybabbit

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Be careful with brushing the teeth of a dog that has existing dental disease. If your dog has gingivitis (inflammation of the gums) or loose teeth, then this will hurt and might cause an aversion to toothbrushing altogether.

#19 JRA

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Shadow has cow's hooves. Great for her teeth. Absolutely gorgeous white things

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.