Feel like I'm betraying my firstborn when I contemplate a second child

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MotherMonkey

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

I'm going to do my best to explain this without sounding insane...!

My son is 18 months old & I've always thought I'd have 3 children probably about 3 years apart, but since having him I can't believe how inlove I can be with one small person &, as a result, I'm suffering tremendous guilt when considering having another. It's like I'm cheating on him just thinking about loving another baby...

Logically I know it's ridiculous (I felt the same way about the dog when I was pregnant!), I've told myself that Number 1 would love a sibling to play with etc., & I know I'm most likely depriving myself of the second love of my life (third if you include the hubby!), but I just can't get past the guilt of no longer having my first born as the centre of my universe.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not a psycho over-protective mum who won't leave her sons side, I still go off to work and do all my normal stuff, I'm just besotted by my boy original.gif
I know I will love another baby (although I do fear that if it's possible to love it as much as the first my heart may in fact explode), but I fear the guilt may actually stop me even trying. (& then I feel guilty about the poor second baby, but we won't even go in to that!!!)

My husband is very understanding (he's quite used to my craziness!) & tells me he's ready whenever I am, but I think I just need to speak to some people who have been in the same boat so they can tell me how wonderful it is having a bigger family & that It will actually make me a better mother to my son because....? (this is where you come in...) wink.gif

#2 Tesseract

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

The love in your heart isn't a finite resource that is divided up amongst your family and friends. When you have another baby you won't love your DS less, your heart will just bigger to accommodate the new baby. And so will your DS's (eventually!).

#3 Kay1

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

This is extremely normal!  Most mothers I know felt the same when thinking about a second child or when pregnant with #2.

Your heart won't explode, the extra love just fits in and you really do love the second just as much as the first, without taking away any from #1, its amazing. original.gif

And the gift of giving your child a sibling is wonderful. I adore watching my two boys together. They love each other so much. I adore my DS1 but now I can't imagine him without his little partner in crime. They bring each other so much joy and companionship. wub.gif

I must admit though that I liked the age gap we had (nearly 3 years), I think this made it easier as DS1 could talk and we could explain why we couldn't do x right now etc. I think I might have felt guiltier if he was still a toddler who couldn't understand why I wasn't seeing to him immediately.

#4 PreachersWife

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (Tesseract @ 07/05/2012, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The love in your heart isn't a finite resource that is divided up amongst your family and friends. When you have another baby you won't love your DS less, your heart will just bigger to accommodate the new baby. And so will your DS's (eventually!).

This is so true and made me feel all squishy!

I'm pregnant with #3 and this sums it up for me, that plus this...

Seeing my daughter and son play, hug, kiss fills my heart with even more love for both of them. And now the way my four year old interacts with my belly just adds to the excitement.

#5 hiccamups

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Your heart just gets bigger OP.  You'll feel the overwhelming, heart popping love you do for your first, with your second.  It's amazing how much love we are capable of.

And there is a lot of guilt to endure when raising children.  For me, the biggest guilt came from having to reject my first so I could settle my second.  But you know what, I believe it's character building for your elder child.  Imagine a world where we never had to learn to take the back seat? Where we never had to wait, or be ok not being the centre of the universe.

It's tough, but it all works out.

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (Tesseract @ 07/05/2012, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep even at 36wks PG with #2 I would be cuddling with DS1 and think how can I love any more?. Well as PP have said love is not a finite resource, your heart just gets bigger and your love encompasses all. With #3 I never had any 2nd thoughts as I already knew after #2 that my heart would grow bigger still.

#7 pitzinoodles

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Totally normal emotion! Amazingly you can love your second just as much as your first. After a little while the second is big enough to play with the first and you realise you gave both your children the gift of a sibling - which is a beautiful thing biggrin.gif

Edited by pitzinoodles, 07 May 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#8 7girly-girls

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

_

Edited by 7girly-girls, 16 June 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#9 ~kacee~

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

The loveliest way I've heard it described is that your love doesn't halve, it doubles  wub.gif With baby #2 due in a few weeks, I understand the guilt, but I also think giving a sibling is the best present you can give.

#10 Guest_Nyz31_*

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I know exactly how you feel.... number two is due in 3 weeks and I've had the guilts from day one about our daughter having to 'share' us with someone else. BUT I remember my Nanna saying what a lonely childhood she had being an only child and not having any cousins nearby and also where they lived was on the outskirts of town not to mention that her Mum was divorced (very tsk tsk tsk in those days).... so that makes me feel better about it. We also don't have any family within 5 hours and we don't have a huge circle of friends here so it will be lovely for our poppet to have someone to play with (apart from me and her Dad!). And to be honest, I think she would love having a sibling, at such a young age, she's already very considerate and kind to other children, especially those younger than her. My biggest concern now is that she is going to think the baby is hers and no one elses! hehe

#11 MotherMonkey

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Omigosh you girls are just devine, thank you so much for replying to my nonsense!

I LOVE the idea of #1 having a 'little buddy' & I'm kind of hoping that at age 3 he might be a little more independent of me anyway?

I must admit though that because we have such a cool time together & are mostly by ourselves the idea of not being able to hang out all the time just us seems a bit sad still sad.gif

#12 i-love-my-son

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

edited

Edited by i-love-my-son, 01 July 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#13 hiccamups

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

I must admit though that because we have such a cool time together & are mostly by ourselves the idea of not being able to hang out all the time just us seems a bit sad still

I know OP, it's heartbreaking. It's all part of them growing up though, sadly.  You wait until they're at school every day.  Oh, that's just tears and heartache all over again.

I imagine it never ends - when they get married, have their own children.   wub.gif

#14 nicknick

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

Oh I was only having this conversation this morning with some friends - with a week and a bit to go until bub 2 arrives it's doing my head in. I like the way Howls describes your heart getting bigger  original.gif

#15 Feral_Pooks

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

I feel bad that I don't want any more like I'll be denying him something. Ahhh we mothers are good at guilt.

#16 Kay1

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

I must admit though that because we have such a cool time together & are mostly by ourselves the idea of not being able to hang out all the time just us seems a bit sad still

I remember thinking that when DS1 was that age. By nearly 3 he was a very different child and while our bond was just as strong, he was pretty hard work and a day of daycare a week was a lifesaver for me. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that LOL. Also you will still be with him, you'll just have another little person to look after.

#17 Black Lion

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

I remember this feeling well.

I also remember looking at DD1 and thinking that she was just the most beautiful baby, and how would I cope if I had another daughter who wasn't as pretty (I know it sounds totally shallow, but I hated being compared to my own sister who was always much thinner, more athletic, petite, has gorgeous hair... etc)?

I am totally in love with both my DDs. They look different (both gorgeous, of course) they have different personalities, different strengths and natural abilites and I love them both for who they are.  With both my girls my heart is near bursting (still).

agree with other PPs about watching them together- I love that they love each other so much. othing better than hearing one call out to the other when they are hurt/sick/tired! Of course they argue too happy.gif

#18 Lilura

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

I felt the same having my daughter, and admittedly we've had a few bumps because my DS is 8, so is kind of used to being the one and only, but i love them both equally!

I find it really fun and amazing to see how different they are, and seeing them interact is awesome.

I think its pretty normal, but you will make it work original.gif

#19 MotherMonkey

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Thank you so much everyone.
"Ahh we mothers are good at guilt"

I completely agree that I'm sure I'd find something else to feel bad about if it wasn't this!
It just seems such a risk! And at double or nothing kind of odds...
It's like someone saying to me I have risk the relationship I have with my son for the chance to win twice as much love.
But I know things won't stay the same for ever, it's just so easy to torture myself about it!

#20 *mylittleprince*

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

If you are both keen, I say go for it.

I absolutely adores DS, he is 3 in September and my little best friend. We have such fun together, I love hanging out and doing stuff and he is a wonderful little person. I'm due with twins just after he turns 3 and at first I felt similar to you, then I thought what a joy to give him siblings. I absolutely adore my sister and it's such a special bond to have a sibling. I think it's not just about feeding/settling a baby, etc but giving them each time. #1 will sometimes have to wait while baby is feeding/being changed, etc and baby will sometimes have to wait while you are busy with #2. I'm going to keep doing things DS loves (playdates, parks, playgroup, etc) so he doesn't feel like his whole world has changed and the babies have taken over.

#21 MotherMonkey

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

You're right MyLittlePrince, I shouldn't look at it like we'll be missing out on things, I should just see it as a challenge to get twice as much fun in!
Thank you x

#22 CallMeFeral

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

I felt the same.
No. 2, however, happened as an accident when DD was only 4 months old.

And now when I hear them laughing and giggling together, and hear about them playing together at daycare even though they have so many other kids to play with, and see how they are comfortable in any situation because they have eachother, and how much they are each others best friends - I thank my stars for that accident.

And who knew - I can dote on two children just as much as I doted on one! The only downside is that I feel TWICE as vulnerable as there are two of them to protect and worry about now.

#23 lozoodle

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

It's normal, you get over it pretty quick. I adore my second just as much and now we are trying for a third original.gif

#24 BVB09

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

OP,

We were axactly the same when we were contemplating having our second child after being so in love with the first child. When I had my second it was the same feeling all over again.

They try and battle for my affection, but I have plenty of love to go around for the two ! wub.gif  wub.gif

#25 lilwonder

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

I felt exactly the same when pregnant with my second, but after seeing her with her brother over the last year I have absolutely no guilt left - what she has gained in her relationship with him makes the time and attention she now has to share a total non issue. So much so I am now unexpectedly pregnant with my third and I have hardly felt guilty in the slightest as I know it will just mean more love for our family and it will enhance the lives of my kids even further

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.