How did your 2yo handle it when you went to hospital to have the next baby?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mummy Duck

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

Bd is 2.3yo and I am 32 weeks pregnant. Due to a medical condition I need to have a c-section and will be in hospital for at least 5 days. We are going private and Im hoping to have dh stay with me most of the time because last c/s I was physically not able to go to the toilet and care for bd.

We also have ss14yo and bs13yo that will be home. MIL will be caring for the kids for the first 3 days and then dh will probably have to come home for nights 4 & 5. The plan is

Day #1 - bd at daycare, hospital visit, home with MIL (dh can go hm for bedtime tuck in)
Day #2 - bd home with teenboys, visit at hospital - eveing with MIL
Day #3 - bd home with teenboys, visit at hospital - eveing with MIL
Day #4 - bd visit at hospital and go home with Dh
Day #5 - bd visit at hospital and go home with Dh (May have option for day care)
Day #6 - come pick me and baby up from hospital

Bd has never been babysat overnight and so Im concerned how she will cope with us being away.

Any ideas how to make it easier for her?  Im happy for her to spend a fair chunk of the day with us at the hospital. We are going private so will have our own room.

Im not only worried about her Im worried about myself Im going to miss her so much :0(

#2 Fossy

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Can she stay with you if your DH is staying?

We had DS when DD was 20 months old, night one DH went home with DD so I could rest, nights 2 - 5 we went to the park hyatt and DD stayed with us, we just took a portacot.  Was wonderful.

#3 eachschoolholidays

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

DD was 23 1/2 months when DS was born.  I had an elective c-section in a private hospital too.

To be honest, DH spent more time with DD and less time at the hospital than you seem to have planned.  She was really not that interested in being at the hospital and not all that interested in DS (after an initial quick look)  She just kept wandering out of the room etc etc  She spent an hour a day at the hospital.

I think part of the reason why she took his arrival so well was that she kept receiving so much attention from DH.  She didn't feel her 'place' in the family was threatened IYKWIM?

I wouldn't be too worried about yourself - you'll have newborn cuddles, good food and foxtel...  I didn't want to leave!

#4 Feralishous

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

DD will be 26/27months when bellyfruit arrives, and we've been gradually spending days at my mums house, soon to have a few overnights there in preparation.
I think the main thing that will bother her, is missing out on boob on demand while Im in hospital (will be there for at least 3 days if all goes well)

#5 T2Mum

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

I think if you are planning on having your DH at the hospital that much (and I totally get where you are coming from as I did the same when I had my second child) then you need to do a few practice runs with your first now so that they are used to MIL putting them to bed etc. Also be prepared to let your first lead how much they want to visit you in hospital - sometimes it is boring for them, and sometimes it goes all right until they have to leave and then realise that you aren't coming with them! You may want to have less visits unless your DH can leave with her as it can be quite traumatic for both you and your first if they get really upset when it is time for the visit to end.

Good luck! I hope your c-section goes smoothly and you feel better after this one. You may find that because you are more confident with the newborn side of things that you can cope better with your DH being away for short periods of time (especially to go home in the evenings and put DD to bed). Even though I had a major PPH I was still OK for DH to leave for short periods of time as I felt more confident in being assertive with the nurses about handing DD2 to me and also made sure if that if I was being left alone that DD2 was either in a basinette where I could reach her or was in my arms.

#6 Ice Queen

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Your situation is not that much different to how ours was, DD was going to be 2 1/2 and had never spent a night away from us.  We did a practice run about 2 mths earlier with her staying at MILs for 2 nights.  Anyway she was fine.  She came to the hospital once in 3 days and she had no interest and was bored in 5 minutes.  She was saying 'nanny, can we go home now'!!!  She had one night at home with DH on the last nit and was totally badly behaved.  Dont worry about the time away from you as you will be punished when you return home!!!!  

TBH i was glad she was not at the hospital with me, 2 is such a demanding age mentally and i just didnt have the head space for it.  I just wanted to concentrate on new DS and me.  We had plenty of time together when i got home.

#7 Violet Devine

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

Hi there OP,

I too am 32 weeks pregnant with my second. DS1 will be 21 months when DS2 is born by c-section.

Our plan will have DS1 spend time with a close friend (she was our support person for DS1 birth) while I'm in surgery, then they will be the very first visitors. DH will stay with me the first night while I'm unable to move, DS1 with MIL (who he sleeps over with once a month or so and they're both very comfortable doing so). The rest of my stay, DH will be staying at home. He needs to keep working and we feel it's best for him to keep DS1 as normal as possible.

If you haven't already started, can you let MIL do some more babysitting so BD is a bit more prepared? Maybe a day visit and a couple of sleepovers?

All the best.

#8 PinkSocks

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

DD was awesome, it was a change for her and she likes change. I had to stay in for 5 days also due to DS health, DD came in to see us everyday sometimes twice a day, she has never showed the tiniest bit of jelousy towards him (she was 23months at the time he was born)
DD wasnt too interested in the hospital though, she was more interested in walking around the corodores (sp?) to see what everyone else was up to original.gif

#9 BlueUnicorn

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

My dd was 23 months when I went for cs with ds. Ds and I were in hospital for 4 nights and dh bought dd in twice a day for about an hour at a time.  That was enough! She wasn't keen on hanging around in one room.

I'd not left her over night before but she was totally fine at home with her dad.  They did lots 'fun stuff' to distract her, ie park visits, ring me on the phone, watch movies, maccas for breaky one day, toy shop visit etc.   it took time away from dh and the baby but the baby was just sleeping and feeding and I was getting much needed rest after the cs.
Not sure how DS will cope when I'm in hospital having #3 though! He is a mummy's boy.

#10 BusterKoala

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (Bubs10)
Can she stay with you if your DH is staying?

I cannot possibly tell you what a terrible idea I think this is for the other mothers.  When I had DS2, the woman next door to me had her toddler in with them and every time the baby woke, so did the toddler, and so did everyone within earshot.
I spent nearly a month in hospital while pregnant with DS2, a total of 3 admissions.  DS1 spent time with the neighbours, DH's colleague's wife, DH and my mum, although every night at home in his own bed.  DH brought him to see me every day, and he was fine.  When DD was born, the boys and DH were staying with my parents and again, DH brought them to see me every day.  I think it's normal to be worried, but try not to over think it.

#11 Fossy

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

BusterKoala - we were in a private suite in a 5 star hotel so total sound proof  - no one was disturbed.  The only one who knew DD was staying was the midwife!  It was a wonderful time to bond as a family.  Next time both kids will stay with us.  It's common practice  original.gif

#12 BusterKoala

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (Bubs10 @ 06/05/2012, 09:24 PM)
14554139[/url]']
BusterKoala - we were in a private suite in a 5 star hotel so total sound proof  - no one was disturbed.  The only one who knew DD was staying was the midwife!  It was a wonderful time to bond as a family.  Next time both kids will stay with us.  It's common practice  original.gif

That's fine, and completely different (and I wish I'd had that option!), but I got the impression the OP will be in hospital, and I don't think it's appropriate in that case.

#13 Mummy Duck

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Violet Devine @ 06/05/2012, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you haven't already started, can you let MIL do some more babysitting so BD is a bit more prepared? Maybe a day visit and a couple of sleepovers?

Its not really possible for practice runs as it feels like an imposition to ask MIL to do extra beyond what we 'need'. I would be happy for MIL to have bd on a regular basis but she never offers and the feeling we get when we ask is that it is a huge favour sad.gif

Bd is really over the top excited about the new baby. Her main play is pretend play with her dolls. She likes to bath (tub), feed (high chair), put to sleep (cot) etc and will do this for hours at a time. She hugs and kisses my belly and we talk about what she is going to do when baby is born. How she will help etc.

I am thinking of buying her a boy doll that she can get when baby comes so she has her own baby to care for.

She will have the teenboys with her and they know her routine and can translate if MIL dosnt understand.

#14 No-pants Agnodice

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

Honestly, I think expecting a 2 year old to hand around hospital much is a big ask. DS1 visited every evening for an hour, we all had dinner, and then DH took him home and came back. My mum and DH spent time with him during the day, and mum took care of him overnight (but if he didn't cope with this, I was well prepared to not have DH with me).

In my opinion, my child's transition to the new baby was more important that my convenience for a couple days and this OSS how we prioritized it. It meant that I hit the call bell a lot more and asked for help from the midwives a lot more than I did the first time because DH wasn't always there. And sometimes I had to wait a little while. But they were all fantastic.

I know people who have had their toddler stay with them at the hotel (which the OP would not be sent to post a Caesar). I think it depends on the temperament of the toddler. Outs would have been bored within an hour and uncontrollable in a hotel room. He would have despised the baby and is for locking him up in there for four days! Toddlers in hospital is impractical and probably inconsiderate.

#15 PinkSurvivor

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

When I had DS2 I had to be induced so DS1 stayed with a friend. DH stayed for 3 days with me at the hospital while I was waiting for labour to establish and for the actual birth.

DS1 stayed with a friend the entire 3 days. He was content to be with other little kids as it was like a fun sleep over. On day 3 (when I didn't realise I was in labour) I snuck out of hospital for 2 hours to go see DS.I left at 4pm and had DS2 by 7pm. DH and I picked him up the next morning with DS2 and he was very excited to see the new baby.

I know its not the same situation but when I had cancer I spend a LOT of time in hospital. I was scared of leaving the kids and how they would cope. They did amazingly well and visited everyday for about 30 minutes (kids don't really like staying in hospital much) and then they would be with DH. I would call and txt DH several times a day and chat to the kids but as a PP said you will have a new baby to snuggle and coo over so you shouldn't get too lonely if DH needs to look after your other little one.

Good luck OP.

#16 Mummy Duck

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (MsN @ 07/05/2012, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I think expecting a 2 year old to hand around hospital much is a big ask.

I dont think its too much to ask of her at all. I think she would rather be with us than to be at home without us.

Recently ss14 was in hospital and bd hung around all day and was fine. We took a dvd player, books, toys and games. She had a great day and wasnt a problem at all.

If we had the option that bd could stay with us at the hospital we would. Before this pregnancy I was pregnant (ended in mc) and would have still been breastfeeding bd when the baby was born so was fully expecting to have bd stay with us.

#17 mombasa

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

My daughter was 2yrs 5mnths when DD2 arrived, she was over the top with excitement before she arrived as well, but disliked being cooped up in my Hospital room for long periods immensely, she much preferred to be home with my MIL and visit once during the day, she found the mini Holiday at Nanna's much more exciting and it meant DH could be at the Hospital with DD2 and I, she was extremely unsettled so I was grateful for his help during my stay.

#18 Sentient Puddle

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

Unless you are in a private room then it is not really appropriate having a toddler stay with you for long periods during the day.  They will get bored and other Mums and bubs need rest and the chance to recuperate and bond.  Your toddler might surprise you and have a chance to be a big girl doing things without you.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Honestly, my 18 month old and then my 2 year old took it completely in stride.

I have no idea if their routines where adhered to or what they did with the assortment of DH, grandparents, family friends and cousins who cared for them. They were with people who cared for them and loved them and that was all that mattered.

I was in hospital with #3 for a week and DH was hospitalised in another hospital for some of that time I don't even know who had them half the time but they were with people who cared and they were fine.

#20 belsy

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

DS1 was with family or DH and visited for 30 mins to 1 hour every day.  Any longer would have  been too much for both of us.  DH was there probably 3-4 hours a day.

Recently ss14 was in hospital and bd hung around all day and was fine. We took a dvd player, books, toys and games. She had a great day and wasnt a problem at all.

Most likley a different story if you are struggling to recover from a CS with a newborn to contend with.  Go with your plan and get the midwives to help you on the days/nights when your DH can't be there the whole time.  

FWIW- with both CS's (first private, second public), I was in for 4 nights.  I would much rather be at home than in the hospital, the second time around you know what are you doing so just crave getting out of there.

Good Luck - hope you recover well this time.

#21 Mummy Duck

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 07/05/2012, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are in a private room then it is not really appropriate having a toddler stay with you for long periods during the day.  They will get bored and other Mums and bubs need rest and the chance to recuperate and bond.  Your toddler might surprise you and have a chance to be a big girl doing things without you.

We will have a private room and in the event that bd was disturbing others I would get dh to take her home.

I do hope she surprises us and is not upset in the evenings when she will go home with MIL. Bd is used to dh tucking her back to bed when she wakes during the night.

I dont want to exclude bd from the introduction of the new baby.

If the possibility of being put up in a hotel arises than we would definitely take bd with us without question. The hospital we are going to is being upgraded so if its not finished when bubs is born than hotel accommodation is a possibility.

#22 Mummy Duck

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

It would be great to hear how parents have included their toddler.

I appreciate the responses suggesting its best to have short visits however thats not what I want to do.

This will be my 3rd c/section so I know what to expect.

I look forward to any tips on how to manage having bd involved as much as possible and reducing any upset when she goes home without us.

#23 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

DD3 had just turned two when I had DD3. I was in hospital for 12 days and had a C/S.

DD never really missed me. For her life just went on as normal. We made a priority of keeping to her routine. Mum stayed for the 12 days and DD was used to having her around.

I think you should plan on your DH spending more time at home. DH wasn't able to come to the hospital as much as he would like but for us the kids were his priority. I had midwifes in hospital to help me, our other kids needed him at home. On thing we made a point of was DH home every night to do the bath/bedtime routine for DD2.

I have to agree that a hospital is not the place for a toddler to be hanging around all day. DD might be okay for one day but everyday might get a bit much for her. DD didn't come in much because it was boring for her. She was really happy at home and didn't need to be brought in all the time.

I missed my DD but I didn't feel like having her around all day when I felt like crap, sleep deprived and very sore. You need to rest while you get the chance and spend time getting to know your newborn. I loved being in hospital because I got to spend lots of time with my new DD. There is little time for that at home when you have other kids to care for.

And give your DD a chance- she might actually be happy at home. Plan some fun things for DH to do with her. It's a good chance for Daddy and daughter time. Just be flexible- things might work out differently to the way you have planed it.

#24 winterlove

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Sorry too quick to reply. Just read that you really want your daughter to stay over - my post was just an outline of how my DS was fine visiting a couple of times. He seemed to get really bored at the hospital.

Hope you can find a solution which suits you and your family.

Edited by winterlove, 07 May 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (Mummy Duck @ 07/05/2012, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be great to hear how parents have included their toddler.

I appreciate the responses suggesting its best to have short visits however thats not what I want to do.

This will be my 3rd c/section so I know what to expect.

I look forward to any tips on how to manage having bd involved as much as possible and reducing any upset when she goes home without us.

But it's your first c/s with a toddler if I am reading correctly. Have you had much experience with 18mth-3yos in a hospital visiting scenario?

They don't generally do it too well. DD1 managed about 15 minutes of interest in the new baby before she was trying to leave the room. DH spent most of the visits trying to entertain her by walking the corridors. So eventually he would leave her with my parents and come in alone. My parents would bring her to visit for 20-30 minutes in the early afternoon and then take her home.

When DS was born and the DDs were 2 and 3.5 they spent most of the time running in and out of the curtain at the doorway of my bedroom. Even private rooms in hospital hold little interest for toddlers.

If you are absolutely keen to have her there then ensure she is accompanied by DH all the time as supervision is constant - nurses keep opening the door and leaving it open for example, there are powerpoints uncovered and lots of buttons and switches all over the room. My kids would always gravitate towards that big red button in the toilet ... I would bring a portable DVD player probably, anything to keep her entertained because they aren't able to do much with a newborn especially while you are establishing breastfeeding and the baby is sleeping.

Hope your birth goes well.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.