How much did you spend on engagement ring?

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#101 libbylu

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (junebuggy11 @ 05/05/2012, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I worked in jewelry retail about 10 yrs ago, and then the 'rule' or guideline was approx 3 months salary as the ball park figure.

This seems pretty outrageous.  The average gross salary is about $70,000.  Thus 3 months worth would be $17,500 - way too much IMO.
I think this kind of rule was made up when you could by a house for three years salary (in my parents time).  Nowadays a house is more like 10 years salary, so other things might need to be a little less!

#102 Velvetta

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Zero. Never had one.My commitment isn't measured in bits of shiny geological relics

#103 tothebeach

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Mine was 10 years ago and cost about $10K.  I never think about the cost and I wear my ring all the time - washing up, gardening etc - it is a part of me.  For us, it was the right ring.  It is very simple - just a single diamond - nearly flawless 1 carat.

It is certainly not as big as many of the rings that my colleagues in Financial Services wear.

#104 Mitis angelam

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Look, I understand the "that could have saved so many lives" argument.  I've been known to deploy it on occasion when DH wanted another techie gizmo.  

But - every family is different.  In my family (as an example), jewellery isn't just a fashion statement or a pretty bauble.  Stones are consciously chosen to be heirlooms and gold is seen as an investment.  (Perhaps this is the migrant experience talking - diamonds are easy to carry when you're running!)  So for my 30th birthday my parents gave me a (small) piece of gold.  On other occasions they've given me precious stones (like the ones in my engagement ring).  But to them, that's doing a similar thing to what some parents do with trusts or bank accounts or - I dunno, whatever investment floats your boat, I guess.  

I'm just pointing out that spending on jewellery may be more than frivolous, and may carry meanings dependent on family or culture or personal history or whatever.

#105 blueteddy

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Three months salary? What a load of rubbish! That means someone earning $3000 a month, which is NOT MUCH AT ALL, would spend $9000???

#106 busymum01

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

about $500 14 years ago and I still adore it.

#107 SuboptimallyPooks

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

EB makes mee feel poor when I otherwise don't. Anyone? Anyone?

#108 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

$12k for engagement ring and $1200 for wedding ring. I love them both. Each to their own. We already had property (separately) when we got engaged.

#109 Thestral

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (pookems85 @ 06/05/2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EB makes mee feel poor when I otherwise don't. Anyone? Anyone?

Some of the posts on this thread certainly do make me feel poor!  biggrin.gif

#110 Therese

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Please leave insults about how much people may have spent out of the thread.

I have removed a post that wasn't necessary and then one that was in response to it.

#111 Mel.Bell

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

3 months salary? what the?!?!?! That means we would have spent close to $20k !!!! Our wedding/engagement set cost $1200 (reduced from close to $3000) & I LOVE IT!! We both picked it. Besides, once he proposed, we were married within 7 weeks so THERE dumb jewellery owners!! You didn't get our extra $$$ as once jewellery is purchased, it looses its value. What a waste!

ETA: not an attack on people who are here (I only read the first 10 posts) but it makes me sick when jewellery shops/advertisements DEMAND that you should spend so much $$$ on jewellery especially at Christmas & Mother's Day

Edited by Mel.Bell, 06 May 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#112 follies

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

This is in response to a removed post and I hope mods do not remove this one.

Ignoring the way you said what you said, the Fistula operation costs US$450, so it would not heal 1000's. I don't think any major operation costs less than $30.

As you are obviously passionate about the issue the Australian Dr Catherine Hamlin runs an Ethiopian based hospital helping women with fistulas and accepts tax deductible donations at her website here:

Blood diamonds are also one of the many reasons I chose an antique ring.

#113 Peridot

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

$47 original.gif
It is silver with three cubic zirconias! It was the only ring in the store I fell in love with, so I'm happy!!

#114 Katah

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

We bought mine and DH's rings together, and I think the total came to about $1200. I think mine was about three quarters of that, though! It's a gold band with three diamond clusters, I love it!

It was more than I expected to spend, but it's still the second most beautiful bit of jewelry I own (after the wedding ring, of course!), so worth it!

#115 missgeorgina

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

My engagement ring was my eldest daughter original.gif...better than any diamond on this earth original.gif

#116 YandiGirl

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

My ex spent $14k on the diamond for my engagement ring. That was so he could flash it around to anyone and everyone to show off how much money he made! He is a tosser. I do love the ring as I did design it and it's truly unique. I am considering having it remodelled in to a pendant as I can't resell it for anything near what it's worth!

My lovely man will soon be proposing to me with a beautiful pink sapphire. The stone and the custom made ring were about $6k I think.

We could afford to spend a whole lot more than that if we wanted to, but neither of us can see the value in it. Even the $6k was a stretch for either of us to justify.

I had some white gold cufflinks made for him as an engagement gift (it's not really fair that I get bling and he doesn't after all), and they cost me $3.5k.

#117 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

My matching ring set cost under $1500 dollars.

The 3 stone is my engagement, the thin band with tiny stones is my wedder

#118 Mamaidh

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

I didn't bother with an engagement ring, I just got a stone in my wedding ring instead so it is kind of duel purpose.  It cost $300 - custom made to my design, sapphire in a 9ct white gold band.  I get heaps of comments about how nice it is too

#119 Indi

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (jules77 @ 05/05/2012, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Suffice to say, it is insured under its own section in our contents insurance!

I don't have mine insured, it is too expensive to have it insured and seeing how I wear it nearly all the time the risk of theft is minimal so I am prepared to take it.

#120 LifeGoesOn

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

My current ring is valued at around the 15k mark. A diamond in a platinum band, very plain.

#121 happylizard

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Mine cost nothing. It belonged to DF's grandmother.

#122 Thestral

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Well talking to newly engaged work colleagues today I certainly feel poor again... all of their DF's spent upwards of $10k and they all pay costly insurance...

EVERY SINGLE one of my work colleagues had their rings custom designed and said it took about 10 weeks of designing and sourcing diamonds... yipes!

Am I just cheap/poor? Or is it normal for me to not see the point?

Edited by Snowgum, 04 June 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#123 ladyantebellum

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Not sure what my engagement ring cost, around $2500? That would have been a lot of money for DH at the time. DH helped design it and i love it.

#124 nicole87

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

My df bought mine for me nearly 5 yrs ago it cost about $700. White gold with diamonds. We chose it together. And I wouldn't ask for anything different.

#125 bluesurrender

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

My DH paid 5k for my engagement ring a few years ago when we were both students (so he didn't want to go crazy). It is worth 6.7k according to the most recent valuation. He designed it and a well-known jeweler in Perth made it.

My wedding ring had to be custom-made too (so it fit around the engagement ring) and that cost about 1.5k. My Dh's ring cost about 1k.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

Win one of two ABC Shop prize packs in time for Christmas

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.