How much did you spend on engagement ring?

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#101 vanessa71

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

We were engaged in 2001, I have no idea how much my ring cost as I didn't ask. He knew the style of ring that I liked, so I didn't need to be there when he bought it.

Edited by vanessa71, 06 May 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#102 libbylu

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (junebuggy11 @ 05/05/2012, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I worked in jewelry retail about 10 yrs ago, and then the 'rule' or guideline was approx 3 months salary as the ball park figure.

This seems pretty outrageous.  The average gross salary is about $70,000.  Thus 3 months worth would be $17,500 - way too much IMO.
I think this kind of rule was made up when you could by a house for three years salary (in my parents time).  Nowadays a house is more like 10 years salary, so other things might need to be a little less!

#103 Velvetta

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Zero. Never had one.My commitment isn't measured in bits of shiny geological relics

#104 tothebeach

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Mine was 10 years ago and cost about $10K.  I never think about the cost and I wear my ring all the time - washing up, gardening etc - it is a part of me.  For us, it was the right ring.  It is very simple - just a single diamond - nearly flawless 1 carat.

It is certainly not as big as many of the rings that my colleagues in Financial Services wear.

#105 Angelot

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Look, I understand the "that could have saved so many lives" argument.  I've been known to deploy it on occasion when DH wanted another techie gizmo.  

But - every family is different.  In my family (as an example), jewellery isn't just a fashion statement or a pretty bauble.  Stones are consciously chosen to be heirlooms and gold is seen as an investment.  (Perhaps this is the migrant experience talking - diamonds are easy to carry when you're running!)  So for my 30th birthday my parents gave me a (small) piece of gold.  On other occasions they've given me precious stones (like the ones in my engagement ring).  But to them, that's doing a similar thing to what some parents do with trusts or bank accounts or - I dunno, whatever investment floats your boat, I guess.  

I'm just pointing out that spending on jewellery may be more than frivolous, and may carry meanings dependent on family or culture or personal history or whatever.

#106 blueteddy

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Three months salary? What a load of rubbish! That means someone earning $3000 a month, which is NOT MUCH AT ALL, would spend $9000???

#107 busymum01

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

about $500 14 years ago and I still adore it.

#108 Feral_Pooks

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

EB makes mee feel poor when I otherwise don't. Anyone? Anyone?

#109 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

$12k for engagement ring and $1200 for wedding ring. I love them both. Each to their own. We already had property (separately) when we got engaged.

#110 Thestral

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (pookems85 @ 06/05/2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EB makes mee feel poor when I otherwise don't. Anyone? Anyone?

Some of the posts on this thread certainly do make me feel poor!  biggrin.gif

#111 Therese

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Please leave insults about how much people may have spent out of the thread.

I have removed a post that wasn't necessary and then one that was in response to it.

#112 Mel.Bell

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

3 months salary? what the?!?!?! That means we would have spent close to $20k !!!! Our wedding/engagement set cost $1200 (reduced from close to $3000) & I LOVE IT!! We both picked it. Besides, once he proposed, we were married within 7 weeks so THERE dumb jewellery owners!! You didn't get our extra $$$ as once jewellery is purchased, it looses its value. What a waste!

ETA: not an attack on people who are here (I only read the first 10 posts) but it makes me sick when jewellery shops/advertisements DEMAND that you should spend so much $$$ on jewellery especially at Christmas & Mother's Day

Edited by Mel.Bell, 06 May 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#113 follies

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

This is in response to a removed post and I hope mods do not remove this one.

Ignoring the way you said what you said, the Fistula operation costs US$450, so it would not heal 1000's. I don't think any major operation costs less than $30.

As you are obviously passionate about the issue the Australian Dr Catherine Hamlin runs an Ethiopian based hospital helping women with fistulas and accepts tax deductible donations at her website here:

http://www.hamlinfistula.org.au/index.html

Blood diamonds are also one of the many reasons I chose an antique ring.

#114 Peridot

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

$47 original.gif
It is silver with three cubic zirconias! It was the only ring in the store I fell in love with, so I'm happy!!

#115 Katah

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

We bought mine and DH's rings together, and I think the total came to about $1200. I think mine was about three quarters of that, though! It's a gold band with three diamond clusters, I love it!

It was more than I expected to spend, but it's still the second most beautiful bit of jewelry I own (after the wedding ring, of course!), so worth it!

#116 missgeorgina

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

My engagement ring was my eldest daughter original.gif...better than any diamond on this earth original.gif

#117 YandiGirl

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

My ex spent $14k on the diamond for my engagement ring. That was so he could flash it around to anyone and everyone to show off how much money he made! He is a tosser. I do love the ring as I did design it and it's truly unique. I am considering having it remodelled in to a pendant as I can't resell it for anything near what it's worth!

My lovely man will soon be proposing to me with a beautiful pink sapphire. The stone and the custom made ring were about $6k I think.

We could afford to spend a whole lot more than that if we wanted to, but neither of us can see the value in it. Even the $6k was a stretch for either of us to justify.

I had some white gold cufflinks made for him as an engagement gift (it's not really fair that I get bling and he doesn't after all), and they cost me $3.5k.

#118 désir d'amour

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

My matching ring set cost under $1500 dollars.

The 3 stone is my engagement, the thin band with tiny stones is my wedder

#119 Mamaidh

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

I didn't bother with an engagement ring, I just got a stone in my wedding ring instead so it is kind of duel purpose.  It cost $300 - custom made to my design, sapphire in a 9ct white gold band.  I get heaps of comments about how nice it is too

#120 Indi

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (jules77 @ 05/05/2012, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Suffice to say, it is insured under its own section in our contents insurance!

I don't have mine insured, it is too expensive to have it insured and seeing how I wear it nearly all the time the risk of theft is minimal so I am prepared to take it.

#121 LifeGoesOn

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

My current ring is valued at around the 15k mark. A diamond in a platinum band, very plain.

#122 happylizard

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Mine cost nothing. It belonged to DF's grandmother.

#123 Thestral

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Well talking to newly engaged work colleagues today I certainly feel poor again... all of their DF's spent upwards of $10k and they all pay costly insurance...

EVERY SINGLE one of my work colleagues had their rings custom designed and said it took about 10 weeks of designing and sourcing diamonds... yipes!

Am I just cheap/poor? Or is it normal for me to not see the point?

Edited by Snowgum, 04 June 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#124 ladyantebellum

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Not sure what my engagement ring cost, around $2500? That would have been a lot of money for DH at the time. DH helped design it and i love it.

#125 nicole87

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

My df bought mine for me nearly 5 yrs ago it cost about $700. White gold with diamonds. We chose it together. And I wouldn't ask for anything different.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.