How much did you spend on engagement ring?

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#101 vanessa71

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

We were engaged in 2001, I have no idea how much my ring cost as I didn't ask. He knew the style of ring that I liked, so I didn't need to be there when he bought it.

Edited by vanessa71, 06 May 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#102 libbylu

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (junebuggy11 @ 05/05/2012, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I worked in jewelry retail about 10 yrs ago, and then the 'rule' or guideline was approx 3 months salary as the ball park figure.

This seems pretty outrageous.  The average gross salary is about $70,000.  Thus 3 months worth would be $17,500 - way too much IMO.
I think this kind of rule was made up when you could by a house for three years salary (in my parents time).  Nowadays a house is more like 10 years salary, so other things might need to be a little less!

#103 Velvetta

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Zero. Never had one.My commitment isn't measured in bits of shiny geological relics

#104 tothebeach

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Mine was 10 years ago and cost about $10K.  I never think about the cost and I wear my ring all the time - washing up, gardening etc - it is a part of me.  For us, it was the right ring.  It is very simple - just a single diamond - nearly flawless 1 carat.

It is certainly not as big as many of the rings that my colleagues in Financial Services wear.

#105 Fyn Angelot

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Look, I understand the "that could have saved so many lives" argument.  I've been known to deploy it on occasion when DH wanted another techie gizmo.  

But - every family is different.  In my family (as an example), jewellery isn't just a fashion statement or a pretty bauble.  Stones are consciously chosen to be heirlooms and gold is seen as an investment.  (Perhaps this is the migrant experience talking - diamonds are easy to carry when you're running!)  So for my 30th birthday my parents gave me a (small) piece of gold.  On other occasions they've given me precious stones (like the ones in my engagement ring).  But to them, that's doing a similar thing to what some parents do with trusts or bank accounts or - I dunno, whatever investment floats your boat, I guess.  

I'm just pointing out that spending on jewellery may be more than frivolous, and may carry meanings dependent on family or culture or personal history or whatever.

#106 blueteddy

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Three months salary? What a load of rubbish! That means someone earning $3000 a month, which is NOT MUCH AT ALL, would spend $9000???

#107 busymum01

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

about $500 14 years ago and I still adore it.

#108 Feral_Pooks

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

EB makes mee feel poor when I otherwise don't. Anyone? Anyone?

#109 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

$12k for engagement ring and $1200 for wedding ring. I love them both. Each to their own. We already had property (separately) when we got engaged.

#110 Thestral

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (pookems85 @ 06/05/2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EB makes mee feel poor when I otherwise don't. Anyone? Anyone?

Some of the posts on this thread certainly do make me feel poor!  biggrin.gif

#111 Therese

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Please leave insults about how much people may have spent out of the thread.

I have removed a post that wasn't necessary and then one that was in response to it.

#112 Mel.Bell

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

3 months salary? what the?!?!?! That means we would have spent close to $20k !!!! Our wedding/engagement set cost $1200 (reduced from close to $3000) & I LOVE IT!! We both picked it. Besides, once he proposed, we were married within 7 weeks so THERE dumb jewellery owners!! You didn't get our extra $$$ as once jewellery is purchased, it looses its value. What a waste!

ETA: not an attack on people who are here (I only read the first 10 posts) but it makes me sick when jewellery shops/advertisements DEMAND that you should spend so much $$$ on jewellery especially at Christmas & Mother's Day

Edited by Mel.Bell, 06 May 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#113 follies

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

This is in response to a removed post and I hope mods do not remove this one.

Ignoring the way you said what you said, the Fistula operation costs US$450, so it would not heal 1000's. I don't think any major operation costs less than $30.

As you are obviously passionate about the issue the Australian Dr Catherine Hamlin runs an Ethiopian based hospital helping women with fistulas and accepts tax deductible donations at her website here:

http://www.hamlinfistula.org.au/index.html

Blood diamonds are also one of the many reasons I chose an antique ring.

#114 Peridot

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

$47 original.gif
It is silver with three cubic zirconias! It was the only ring in the store I fell in love with, so I'm happy!!

#115 Katah

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

We bought mine and DH's rings together, and I think the total came to about $1200. I think mine was about three quarters of that, though! It's a gold band with three diamond clusters, I love it!

It was more than I expected to spend, but it's still the second most beautiful bit of jewelry I own (after the wedding ring, of course!), so worth it!

#116 missgeorgina

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

My engagement ring was my eldest daughter original.gif...better than any diamond on this earth original.gif

#117 YandiGirl

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

My ex spent $14k on the diamond for my engagement ring. That was so he could flash it around to anyone and everyone to show off how much money he made! He is a tosser. I do love the ring as I did design it and it's truly unique. I am considering having it remodelled in to a pendant as I can't resell it for anything near what it's worth!

My lovely man will soon be proposing to me with a beautiful pink sapphire. The stone and the custom made ring were about $6k I think.

We could afford to spend a whole lot more than that if we wanted to, but neither of us can see the value in it. Even the $6k was a stretch for either of us to justify.

I had some white gold cufflinks made for him as an engagement gift (it's not really fair that I get bling and he doesn't after all), and they cost me $3.5k.

#118 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

My matching ring set cost under $1500 dollars.

The 3 stone is my engagement, the thin band with tiny stones is my wedder

#119 Mamaidh

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

I didn't bother with an engagement ring, I just got a stone in my wedding ring instead so it is kind of duel purpose.  It cost $300 - custom made to my design, sapphire in a 9ct white gold band.  I get heaps of comments about how nice it is too

#120 Indi

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (jules77 @ 05/05/2012, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Suffice to say, it is insured under its own section in our contents insurance!

I don't have mine insured, it is too expensive to have it insured and seeing how I wear it nearly all the time the risk of theft is minimal so I am prepared to take it.

#121 LifeGoesOn

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

My current ring is valued at around the 15k mark. A diamond in a platinum band, very plain.

#122 happylizard

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Mine cost nothing. It belonged to DF's grandmother.

#123 Thestral

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Well talking to newly engaged work colleagues today I certainly feel poor again... all of their DF's spent upwards of $10k and they all pay costly insurance...

EVERY SINGLE one of my work colleagues had their rings custom designed and said it took about 10 weeks of designing and sourcing diamonds... yipes!

Am I just cheap/poor? Or is it normal for me to not see the point?

Edited by Snowgum, 04 June 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#124 ladyantebellum

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Not sure what my engagement ring cost, around $2500? That would have been a lot of money for DH at the time. DH helped design it and i love it.

#125 nicole87

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

My df bought mine for me nearly 5 yrs ago it cost about $700. White gold with diamonds. We chose it together. And I wouldn't ask for anything different.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.