How much did you spend on engagement ring?

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#1 Thestral

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Just curious for a current and local tidbit of information regarding how much couples are spending on engagement rings... my SO and I have been discussing engagement etc and the thought of how much he/we have to spend on a ring has been plaguing my mind as we are also buying our first home... it seems that most couples I know tend to spend more than $10k! Whereas I was thinking a couple of thousand...

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!

#2 Nanns

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

Whatever you feel comfortable spending.

I think the ads say around 3 months salary?

#3 PatG

around $1500

#4 Who is me

Can't remember exactly, but I think it was about 10k. We had each already purchased houses though. If we were starting from scratch, there is no way I would have spent so much. I'd rather a house then a ring!

#5 skylark

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

I reckon you just pay what you can afford comfortably (ie no debt, no forgoing necessities), if a ring is something that's important to you. FWIW mine cost way under a thousand, I didn't really care about having a big diamond or any of that, and once we were married I stopped wearing the engagement ring because the wedding ring was the one with real meaning to me.  It's very personal I think, and honestly not something that should depend on what anyone else has/does.

#6 PixieVee

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

The ring I told my partner to get me is about $800 for the engagement and wedder set. I know that's not the usual, but I would feel terrible aking him to spend so much on jewellery when he is not very well paid.

PS. I completly LOVE the set, thankfully I am quite well versed in jewellery (even before I was working at a jewellery store) and was able to find something for a great price that I think it so beautiful.

PPS. Last night I had a dream that my boyfriend proposed with a hideous ring that had a faux pearl on it that melted when I took something out of the microwave  biggrin.gif

Edited by PixieVee, 05 May 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#7 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

I worked in jewelry retail about 10 yrs ago, and then the 'rule' or guideline was approx 3 months salary as the ball park figure.

We spent about $5000 on mine, and we bought it together, so we put 50/50 in.

It is a really personal decision. I spent a lot more then some of my friends, and a lot less then others. I've never found another ring I liked better, and it's exactly what I wanted, so it was worth it for us.
Don't be swayed by what other people do or say, you have to live with the ring, both on your finger, and out of your finances!

#8 Onyx

Spend whatever you can afford.
Mine was $5000 I think. I don't remember.

#9 bikingbubs

Mine was just under $4k.  It was what we were happy to pay at the time and I got the exact ring I had always wanted original.gif
I think just buying one within your budget is the most important thing, not what everyone else is doing!

#10 GamerMum

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

My original ring cost $200. I lost that one after about 12 months and my replacement cost $500, but we got it for $300. No diamonds, just silver and opals.
Anything more expensive and I'd be too paranoid to wear it! I've already had the opals in this one replaced once because they all smashed. Luckily replacements are free from the place we got it.

Friends of ours just paid $30,000 on an engagement ring. Seriously insane in my opinion, but each to their own.

#11 crayons

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

We spent about $5k on my engagement ring, but that was as DINKS and with the knowledge that we were not having an extravagant wedding (we eloped so total wedding spending was only another $5k). I love my ring but wouldn't spend that amount of money on any single piece of jewelry any more.

#12 TopsyTurvy

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

#13 Thestral

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Matthias' mum @ 05/05/2012, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't remember exactly, but I think it was about 10k. We had each already purchased houses though. If we were starting from scratch, there is no way I would have spent so much. I'd rather a house then a ring!

Haha my thoughts exactly! Personally, I'd rather put the money towards our house than the ring... but then on the other hand I think that I'll be wearing the ring for the rest of my life so I want something that I like and that will last...

QUOTE (junebuggy11 @ 05/05/2012, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I worked in jewelry retail about 10 yrs ago, and then the 'rule' or guideline was approx 3 months salary as the ball park figure.

We spent about $5000 on mine, and we bought it together, so we put 50/50 in.

It is a really personal decision. I spent a lot more then some of my friends, and a lot less then others. I've never found another ring I liked better, and it's exactly what I wanted, so it was worth it for us.
Don't be swayed by what other people do or say, you have to live with the ring, both on your finger, and out of your finances!

Thanks for your reply original.gif Personally I'm going to try not to go for the 3 month salary 'rule' as I think that was just made up by diamond sellers to get people to spend big bucks... plus 3 months salary is a lot when you've just bought your first home and have mortgage repayments etc! But yes I agree - I shouldn't be swayed by what other people say this is exactly right. Thanks!

Just curious as to what people think. Any more thoughts/opinions would be great!

#14 jayskette

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

we didnt have engagement rings - cost factor and also dont like the feel of jewellery in general, but for the wedding ring we made it ourselves for $3500.

#15 canuckmel

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Mine is worth about $35,000 but DH only paid $7000 for it as his best friend in the former Yugoslavia owned a jewelry store at a time when the country was involved in a war so they were selling things for much less than they were truly worth.

I don't like to wear it as I am paranoid having something worth so much on my finger.

#16 BreezaH

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Mine was about $3k all up for engagement and wedding.

3 months salary is about $20k for my husband and I cannot imagine a ring that would cost that, nor would I want to. I'd be too frightened to wear it.

#17 **Xena**

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

I spent $200 on the gold band that I used to propose to my husband.

My husband then bought me an 'engagement' ring as a suprise before our wedding and it was about $1500 on special.

#18 ResultsNotTypical

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (skylark @ 05/05/2012, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I reckon you just pay what you can afford comfortably (ie no debt, no forgoing necessities), if a ring is something that's important to you. FWIW mine cost way under a thousand, I didn't really care about having a big diamond or any of that, and once we were married I stopped wearing the engagement ring because the wedding ring was the one with real meaning to me.  It's very personal I think, and honestly not something that should depend on what anyone else has/does.

I agree with this.

I don't even know what mine cost. DH knew my general likes and dislikes and went shopping for it by himself. I am pretty sure it's under $1000, and it's perfect

#19 A.K.A

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

$0. I already owned it.

My actual wedding ring cost $50.

Edited by A.K.A, 05 May 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#20 strawberrycakes

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

My engagement ring & wedding band combined cost around $2000.  I would love a 'upgrade' but it is simply a luxury we can not & will not be able to afford for a very long time.  I love my rings anyway because they are from DH original.gif

#21 canuckmel

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (sparklyredfish @ 05/05/2012, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We spent about $5k on my engagement ring, but that was as DINKS and with the knowledge that we were not having an extravagant wedding (we eloped so total wedding spending was only another $5k). I love my ring but wouldn't spend that amount of money on any single piece of jewelry any more.

Sounds like us. DH paid about $7000 in our DINK days. At the time we could comfortably afford it, but I'd never spend that much on a piece of Jewelry now....

#22 follies

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Mine cost around $4k. However, my ring is a 1920's antique which will only go up in value over time.

With the resale value of a modern $20K ring you would be lucky to get 10%. There is a big actual value and insurance value of mass produced modern rings, they are like cars with the price dropping when you drive out of the show room.

#23 daisyfromavon

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

My ex paid $2400 for mine,he picked it with me there,I've never seen any I like better,it's in a box on a bookshelf sad.gif
I think it has to be nice enough you'll love it forever (hopefully) cos you always look at it.We were renting at the time & had an $8000 wedding.
DP & I want a house so wouldn't spend anything on a ring yet,but wouldn't spend more than 3-4K.

#24 Angelot

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

I had interlocking engagement and wedding rings made.  I supplied the diamonds - a gift from my mother - so paid $1500 for the gold and workmanship (they're largish rings, so a lot of gold, and the work was fiddly for the design I wanted).  That was about eight years ago, the gold would be worth more now, I think.

I agree that you need to be able to live with what you spend.  I'd also add, though, that you wear these every day, possibly for the rest of your life.  It's worth taking the time to make sure you get something you like.  One thing I suggest is looking at stones other than diamonds; you might find a coloured precious stone you love as much or more than a diamond, and it might cost you significantly less.

#25 HeroOfCanton

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

$1,100, reduced from nearly $2000.
I was so nervous wearing it the first few days in case I shook it off my hand or something!

I can't imagine wearing anything worth more than that - I'd be so paranoid!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.