How to cope with my child
practical advice wanted

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 Green Door

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

You go to the gym and run on the weekends plus work ? No wonder your poor child wants some mummy time, sorry you sound a little precious to me! If you didn't want to spend time with you kid you should not have had one!

#27 Unatheowl

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 06/05/2012, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You go to the gym and run on the weekends plus work ? No wonder your poor child wants some mummy time, sorry you sound a little precious to me! If you didn't want to spend time with you kid you should not have had one!

Unhelpful.  You don't know how you're going to cope with anything until you are actually in the situation.

#28 Green Door

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

I have 3 kids 4 ,3 and 7 mths.  No family and no friends and a DH that works long hours. I don't work and have them alllll day every day. No gym, no work no DH have any time off to watch! I manage,  Enjoy your kids! Everyday with then is a blessing ! You don't know how long you have with anyone on this earth, they could be gone tomorrow , don't regret the time you have with them! Pleae don't sweat the small stuff

#29 PigNewton

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

Kids can be such hard work, I find that it's best to get out and keep busy, my two drive me insane if I'm stuck indoors for a whole day with them! Go to the park or a play centre, swimming, even a museum can have stuff that's interesting to a three year old. That way he's getting more quality time with you and you get more enjoyment from his company.

This for me. DS is an extremely 'busy" 3.5 year old (for want of a better word). We recently had to spend a week pretty much housebound due to illness and he absolutely destroyed the place! By the end of the week I just sat down and cried because it had been so horrible and frustrating for both of us.

What we do normally, though, is go out in the morning and do something quite vigorous, like running around in a playground, or playgroup, or junior gym, or the zoo (we have membership). It can be bloody difficult to get myself motivated enough to get us up and out the door for a 9:30 Mainly Music session, but I find that if I can do that, DS gets his time with me, but something else is doing the entertaining. We then come home for lunch, and since that excess of energy has been dealt with, DS is much happier to play by himself for a while and I can get things done, with the occasional book or chat together to keep him happy.

I also think when my DS gets destructive it's just his way of trying to get attention any way he can. I would rather spend a couple of hours in the morning giving it to him in a structured environment that does half the work for me, then I'm repaid by getting a peaceful afternoon and a happy 3 year old, rather than spending the whole day with him hanging off me trying to get my attention any way that he knows how, and the two of us ending up sad, frustrated, and with nothing achieved.

You might also find that if you do knock that excess of energy off, your DS might even have the occasional afternoon nap again.

#30 chucklebury

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hi it is a hard for them and us i think. I know my ds is worse if he has been at care for a few days and he just wants me. I find if I make the time just for him for half an hour or so he is sooooo much better.

Also my ds is at the age where he loves and needs playdate of some sort

I also find a big bike ride or something along those lines works well for us.....

With rest times......it is not negotiable in this house and if he does not have a rest he misses out on something we were going to do in the afternoon.

Good luck and I hope it gets better for you

#31 DreamFeralisations

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

I really feel for you OP - working that hard and then being clung to on the day you just want to square stuff or go "oof" and collapse.

Keep in mind I had/have girls, and I have heard boys are a totally different kettle of fish, but a few things that helped me first time around (and I hope to next go)

The mornings were for her - we went out, hit a park or playgroup, played hard (the "lets lsee how fast you can run to that tree over there and back" is a classic - make sure you count time really loudly) - if you are in Brisbane, the Orleigh (froggy) Park is awesome - if I had to catch up with other mums, it is also a great thing to do in the morning.

Any shopping I had to do also happened during mornings - I always pack a snack pack and water bottle so that meltdowns were kept to a minimum and a list is most necessary to keep you getting through the shop very quickly.

Lunchtime, and then I insisted on "rest time" (they will still have it at childcare I am sure at his age) where a thin mattress was on the living room floor, the room was made darker and noise/visual stimulants were kept to a minimum - for at least 30 minutes - while I did kitchen stuff.  If she pulled a nap, I lay down on the couch and grabbed what I could.

Afternoons were housework/gardening with playing occuring nearby - sometimes play involved helping Mummy - and it is amazing how much they want to be doing what you are doing.

If not - playdough is dead easy to create (no cook) in a jiffy - Mix - 1 cup plain flour, 1/2   cup salt, 1/2 large spoon (I assume tablespoon) cream of tartar, 1   large spoon oil and food colouring of choice, then add 2/3 cup boiling   water and mix/knead - and an instant "you are the most super mother in the world" fix it (you can add glitter/sand/extras all you like too - a lady I am facebook friends with on here makes hers with essential oils so it stimulates all sorts of senses)

Good luck!!!

#32 hiccamups

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

a lady I am facebook friends with on here makes hers with essential oils so it stimulates all sorts of senses)

What a fabulous idea.  And glitter!  I've just done colours, which we still think are rather awesome, but glitter and oils....how exciting.

#33 kissy10

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 06/05/2012, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 3 kids 4 ,3 and 7 mths.  No family and no friends and a DH that works long hours. I don't work and have them alllll day every day. No gym, no work no DH have any time off to watch! I manage,  Enjoy your kids! Everyday with then is a blessing ! You don't know how long you have with anyone on this earth, they could be gone tomorrow , don't regret the time you have with them! Pleae don't sweat the small stuff

Nasty piece of work much?? No wonder you are single..

#34 Green Door

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

I'm not single , did you even read my post, I have a DH. I was not trying to be nasty, just trying to get the OP to look at things from a another angle. If I come across nasty I'm sorry.

#35 More than a Mother

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 06/05/2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 3 kids 4 ,3 and 7 mths.  No family and no friends and a DH that works long hours. I don't work and have them alllll day every day. No gym, no work no DH have any time off to watch!

PM me your address so I know where to send the medal. You're clearly far better than me and I bow to your superiority. Your supercilious comments imply that people should only be allowed to have children if they spend 24hrs a day with them, with no outside interests of their own. Because I'm finding it hard and asking for advice, I shouldn't have had a child?   mad.gif

To those with genuinely helpful comments, thank you.  original.gif

I do take him out during the day; swimming lessons, bus and train rides, on his bike, nature hunts, to the park etc. I agree that it is a lot easier if we're out of the house.  We do playdoh, painting, stickers, stamping, baking, playing with toys at home.

I think I've been a bit consumed with trying to finish his new bedroom and playroom, and thinking about how to get it all done just got on top of me.

#36 chucklebury

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Op I feel for you and some of gh negative comments.......just keep in your head that we all (well most of us) go through stages of feeling like this and it ok....even better that you are asking for help.....so give yourself a break as well.

Big hugs and i hope it gets better soon.

Just on the otherside. Our ds had worms for a month or so until we realized it and bedtime was a nightmare and he was just sooo clingy and miserable and a different kid a few days afetr he got all the worms out of his system. Poor boy. so never count out a medical thing if you think things are not right.

#37 mokeydoke

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

I have a 3.5 year old at home and I can understand why you are finding it hard! Some days I just can't wait for his siblings to come home to play with him to give me a break. I'm not used to having only one child at a time and am going to go back to work this year because I finally understand what people mean when they've said they just can't be a SAHM. SAHM to one child is a lot different to being a SAHM to more than one child, being home with 1 young child is relentless.

#38 rye

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I disagree with many of the posters about the extra day of daycare. Although it feels like the answer, in my experience, having them away for MORE time when they are like this, actually makes the problem worse, because they  miss you more, and want to demand even more of your time. I have a 3.5 year old daughter who can be extremely clingy and it is always worse when I have been absent (physically or mentally). If I am focussing on things like studying or renovating, she's just terrible, because although I am here, I'm not really "here" IYKWIM. My advice, from my experience only, is to fully immerse yourself in the time you are home with your child. Don't give them half of your attention, because they will keep on and on at you until they feel you are fully engaged. Forget about trying to sort out his toyroom while he is home. You'll just get frustrated, and he'll get clingier. I fully agree, kids need to play independently, but the only time I ever have success with that, is if I have had a full day or two of non-stop, kid-focussed time, with my FULL attention on them. Bloody hard work, because there is always stuff that needs to be done, but for the sake of your sanity, stop trying to juggle it all, keep your home time to being kid time as much as you can. Smother the little bugger with your attention, they love it! original.gif Good luck, it's a challenging age.

#39 pod30

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hi OP

Can you take a few days leave off work when he is childcare and finish the rooms then?

I know the feeling. This is what I do a couple of times a year when I have house projects I want to finish and night times don't cut it.

All the best.

#40 hiccamups

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Smother the little bugger with your attention, they love it!

Reminds me of that term Love Bombing.  OP, google it.  I think we can all benefit from this philosophy.

#41 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

I have to agree with PP'ers who have suggested that spending more time with him, rather than less, will help.
My DD1 is 3.5.  She goes to daycare one day a week and the rest of the time is with me.  We go out and do lots of activities during the mornings, then she has a rest/sleep after lunch and then we go to the park.  She is not particularly good at entertaining herself, although I'm gently encouraging her to do more of it.
If I've had a busy day for some reason and she doesn't get much attention, she is MUCH worse.  Destructive, rude, a giant pain.  If I give her attention, play with her, even just cuddle her a lot, she is so much better.

#42 jo-v

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Another activity my DS really enjoys is the Reading Eggs website, we do the lesson together then he will play in the playroom bit happily for a little while by himself.

#43 new~mum~reenie

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

DS uses to be really independent - even as a baby he refused cuddles and he literally  would indicate he wanted bed, I'd give him a kiss and a cuddle, and then leave him in his cot.

But at 3.5 he wants me to lay in bed with him before he will sleep. He is more emotional and gets angrier quicker. What happened to my cruisy boy? I was very confused.

But then I read how boys at approx 4 years old have a testosterone surge, in proportions that are not repeated till their teens. Poor little mite is feeling his emotions more raw, he is wanting cuddles with mum for no reason. He gets sad and frustrated at the drop of a hat. He gets angry and talks through his teeth. But it's over quickly and he appoligises soon after. (google 'testosterone surge at 4' and 'raising boys')
At the moment he is doing 3 days of daycare (when I work) and hubby up until last week worked FIFO. So much of it was left to me to deal with. I found DS, even though he dropped his day sleep, needs more night sleep, about 12 hours a night. Waking him for day care is hard on him, so some nights we both hop in my bed by about 6.30, watch Mr bean and have cuddles. This has helped immensely. Also, going for walks in the bush to wear him out, too. I have found this just as good for me, too original.gif

Op, maybe your boy is going through similar? Just remember he is a little boy. And he won't be for too long. Soon he will be a moody teenager who will sleep most the day, and you'll have plenty of time for home improvements etc. Maybe you can swap play dates with another mum once a fortnight (you have a visitor one week, your DS goes to their place the next etc) so you can catch up on your own rest, too?

#44 hiccamups

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

PM me your address so I know where to send the medal. You're clearly far better than me and I bow to your superiority.

I don't think the pp meant badly by her comments OP.  I think it's just that so many of us would give our right arms for a break too, but it doesn't happen.  Rather than commiserating, and understanding, because most of us do, it can come out as it did.  I have a SIL who has double the child-free time as me and almost half the number of children.  She often whinges to me about how hard she finds it and I do feel like slapping her.  But it's just because I'm jealous.  I actually do understand where she's at, except now things are so much harder and you can't really know that until you're there.

#45 Zeldagirl

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

I understand about how you want to do things around the house, it can be frustrating playing with the kids whilst I'm looking around our house we recently moved into, wishing I could just get on with painting this or that room, designing the messy playroom...etc...  I made a deal with DH that renovating this house would be my project this year (in between looking after the kids and parttime working) and so every weekend he looks after the kids for 4-5 hours whilst I do my house stuff.  Could you work out something like that with your DH?  And lol, poor old DH, he's absolutely ragged after looking after our 3yo son and 1yo daughter by the end of that time!  DS is very, very full on.

#46 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (ssorrrento @ 04/05/2012, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I want some time in the house on my own to get things done - mostly house improvements, but that's what I like to do.  I'm too exhausted after he's finally gone to sleep.

I The relentlessness of it makes me feel nauseous and suffocated. I often feel like I want to yell at him - recently I have been.

I'm increasingly relying on the TV, which isn't good, and really don't want to do anything except sleep. I just can't be bothered with anything at the moment.

Hey,

The comments above were real big red flags for me. Do you think you might be a bit depressed? The exhaustion, wanting to sleep and being short tempered might just be symptoms of the fact that you work hard and have a child to look after, but they also sound a bit like depression.

Have you considered speaking to your GP about how you're feeling?

You are definitely not being a princess!!!

#47 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 06/05/2012, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can I get some fries with that holier than thou attitude!

Seriously OP, ignore the above and listen to posters who aren't completely divorced from reality!

#48 F1widow

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

bbighug.gif

It sounds like you are not coping. I personally think that's ok. Unfortunately, people will always have it worse than you so you need to find an outlet other than EB.

I support the previous suggestion of the extra day at daycare even if it's a shorter day. Alternatively, do you know any local mums that you can do a 'babysitting swap' every other week?

The important thing is that you find some extra support and put aside time for yourself each week. You OP sounded to me like you are getting to the end of your tether and that's not good for anyone! original.gif

Take care.

#49 Cat People

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

I agree with spending more time, rather than less, too.  And make it real quality time where you give your undivided attention and not try to multi-task (I'm very guilty of this).

I also thought maybe you sounded a bit depressed?  Maybe have a chat with your GP and get a referral for some counselling sessions.  It can't hurt.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.