Ready made meals or make your own?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 karlah

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Over the past few years there has been controversy over ready made baby food jars containing things they shouldn't etc but has this put anyone off? I have to admit I was working full time when my boys were tiny so it was a form of massive convenience for me. I made the effort of choosing organic. Nonetheless it has left me feeling a little guilty that I should have made my own!

#2 ubermum

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

I have always made my own. I have occasionally used the odd pre made babyfood, but my kids didn't really like it. Who could blame them? When we were going somewhere and I wanted to take a hot meal for them that didn't require refrigeration or care, a can of no added salt baked beans was my fall back option.

#3 loola

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

I have only made my own baby food, only thing I bought was Farex for the first while. I thought it was going to be a crapload of effort, but it was pretty straight forward, doing it on a Weekend, freezing a heap and I could be set for a couple of weeks. If I go anywhere and will need to give him solids, I got a baby flask thing (which I will easily be able yo use whenever I go back to work for lunches) which keeps his food hot or yoghurt and fruit puree cold. Bob's your uncle.

#4 frogsong

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

I always made my own.  It was easy to cook up a batch of mixed vegetables, mash together in different combinations and freeze in small containers.  So quick and easy to use and no screaming baby waiting for food to be cooked.

#5 caesie'n'linc

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

I always made my own original.gif
I simply cooked a bit extra with each nights meal and kept it in the fridge ready for bubs dinner/lunch the following day.
Occasionally I would freeze a couple of containers of meals if I knew i had a busy week coming up, but generally I didn't bother.

Jars of baby food taste pretty bland compared to home cooked...some of the organic stuff was ok, but still not the same flavor as fresh.

#6 Ice Queen

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Generally made my own and froze in small containers.  I worked 1 day and had a babysitter and her job each week was to cook up and puree a big batch of food when bub slept.  Was brilliant.

I had no qualms in using Jars when we travelled or needed something on the go.  Most she didnt like but i had a few no-fails that i knew she liked.

#7 Ice Queen

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Generally made my own and froze in small containers.  I worked 1 day and had a babysitter and her job each week was to cook up and puree a big batch of food when bub slept.  Was brilliant.

I had no qualms in using Jars when we travelled or needed something on the go.  Most she didnt like but i had a few no-fails that i knew she liked.

#8 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

I mostly make my own.  Main reason is that I have to eat some to get DS to, and I can't stand the taste of jar food

I freeze it in ice cube trays, and then store in ziplock bags.

#9 eachschoolholidays

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I have always used a combination of both.

I tend to make a big batch of, say, mashed sweet potato.  Put it into ice cube trays and then freeze it.  Once frozen, I pop them out and out them into zip lock bags.  When meal time arrives I would just pick a couple of different veges and the put them in the microwave.

Once they are a bit older, I will make a batch of vege risotto, vege pasta etc and put it into small container in the freezer.  Then it was just a matter of defrosting.

I always gave them a bag or Raffertys once or twice a week so that they would eat it in an emergency eg we got caught at the shops etc

#10 FeralBob!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

I always made my own and both DH and I worked full time when DD was a baby. I found it easy to put a variety of veg into a steamer to cook, and then puree and put into ice cube trays.  Later on I'd steam chicken or make savoury mince or bolgnaise. Risoni is useful too.

The first time she had any packaged baby food was aged 2 when a flight attendant gave her a custard one as as treat when we were flying to Europe.

She wasn't a fan.

Edited by WooBob!, 05 May 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#11 livvie7586

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (karlah @ 04/05/2012, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Over the past few years there has been controversy over ready made baby food jars containing things they shouldn't etc but has this put anyone off? I have to admit I was working full time when my boys were tiny so it was a form of massive convenience for me. I made the effort of choosing organic. Nonetheless it has left me feeling a little guilty that I should have made my own!

i fed mine jars and didn't even have the excuse of working.

DS would not touch homemade, and then started dropping right off the charts, so it was a case of getting him to eat whatever we could.  DD i was in the habit of buying jars for DS, so just continued the same way.

if we ever have a third i'll probably try to make my own, but i would never feel guilty for feeding my child a jar of baby food

#12 vitaechel

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

I also made my own and froze it. But I also had a few organic "just in case" back ups as DS got older. I don't think it's something to feel guilty about. I think we, as parents, do the best we can in our own given circumstances.

#13 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

We did blw but I was pretty excited to discover the rafferty's meal pouches when dd was about 8 months. We go away about 2 weekends a month and they have been so handy for those times.

I'm really not worried about a little commercial food when I know the other 80-90% of of meals are heathy

#14 skylark

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Made my own. I don't think he ever had anything out of a packet, although I used to curse the fact that he wouldn't eat avocado or banana, since they were such easy to transport instant meal options. I did do only organic for his first foods/tastings of each vegetable. I found that organic veges from our local organic supplier were more flavoursome, so I wanted his first tastes of everything to be the best possible. It wasn't economically viable for us to continue with all organic beyond that, but I do think it gave him a great start. It was a simple equation for me, because we eat little packaged and processed food in our household, so it didn't make any sense to me to feed my child those foods. If your lifestyle and household diet is based around a larger proportion of packaged or processed foods, then it makes more sense to me to use pre-made baby foods.

#15 TheGreenSheep

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

I did a mix of both.

#16 neddyteddy

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

I made most of the 'baby food' I do batches and freeze it. She won't eat many of the commercial options and the ones she does like have apple as the main ingredient so they are not exactly nutrition packed! I don't like the idea that things are heated to such high temps that they loose their nutritional value...

#17 bjk76

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

DS (13 months) has never had any packaged meals/pouches - like PPs I just cooked up some vegies/pasta sauce, pureed and froze. In terms of processed foods, he's had baby cereals, although went off them for a few months, bread, rice cakes (Aldi's don't have any additives), cheese and salt-reduced baked beans. I try to avoid too much commercially produced food as like a PP, I want DS to develop a taste for the real thing.

#18 Majeix

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

I always made my own. My first daughter only ate pures for a few days before insiting on finger food only so i used to rest of the frozen pured vegetables as a spread for her. Pumpkin etc spread on bread etc. Dd2 did baby led weaning so we just cooked and froze vegetable sticks etc so it was just as easy too make our own. original.gif

#19 Lokum

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

We didn't use commercial baby food at all

But I didn't exactly 'make' baby food. We did BLW so we just gave him food - simple ingredients simply cooked at the beginning (like rissoles or chops and single vegetables.) Then later more complex things like spag bol, chicken ristto, caseeroles etc.  But not pureed pasta... that makes me gag to think about. (Mind you, I have got shocking m/s and gag about most things!)

We never really pureed anything, except hummus and lentil soup - but that's what we were having anyway!

If I did already use commercial food in the past, I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about it. Unless it was because I was drunk? Gambling? Out partying and couldn't be bothered?

But if it was a decision based on convenience/taste/seemed like a good idea.... then who cares? I'm sure the children are fine now, so it's really of no great significance.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

A video of a three-year-old taking the ice bucket challenge has gone viral, but many aren't impressed.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.