Ready made meals or make your own?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 karlah

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Over the past few years there has been controversy over ready made baby food jars containing things they shouldn't etc but has this put anyone off? I have to admit I was working full time when my boys were tiny so it was a form of massive convenience for me. I made the effort of choosing organic. Nonetheless it has left me feeling a little guilty that I should have made my own!

#2 ubermum

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

I have always made my own. I have occasionally used the odd pre made babyfood, but my kids didn't really like it. Who could blame them? When we were going somewhere and I wanted to take a hot meal for them that didn't require refrigeration or care, a can of no added salt baked beans was my fall back option.

#3 loola

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

I have only made my own baby food, only thing I bought was Farex for the first while. I thought it was going to be a crapload of effort, but it was pretty straight forward, doing it on a Weekend, freezing a heap and I could be set for a couple of weeks. If I go anywhere and will need to give him solids, I got a baby flask thing (which I will easily be able yo use whenever I go back to work for lunches) which keeps his food hot or yoghurt and fruit puree cold. Bob's your uncle.

#4 frogsong

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

I always made my own.  It was easy to cook up a batch of mixed vegetables, mash together in different combinations and freeze in small containers.  So quick and easy to use and no screaming baby waiting for food to be cooked.

#5 caesie'n'linc

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

I always made my own original.gif
I simply cooked a bit extra with each nights meal and kept it in the fridge ready for bubs dinner/lunch the following day.
Occasionally I would freeze a couple of containers of meals if I knew i had a busy week coming up, but generally I didn't bother.

Jars of baby food taste pretty bland compared to home cooked...some of the organic stuff was ok, but still not the same flavor as fresh.

#6 Ice Queen

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Generally made my own and froze in small containers.  I worked 1 day and had a babysitter and her job each week was to cook up and puree a big batch of food when bub slept.  Was brilliant.

I had no qualms in using Jars when we travelled or needed something on the go.  Most she didnt like but i had a few no-fails that i knew she liked.

#7 Ice Queen

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Generally made my own and froze in small containers.  I worked 1 day and had a babysitter and her job each week was to cook up and puree a big batch of food when bub slept.  Was brilliant.

I had no qualms in using Jars when we travelled or needed something on the go.  Most she didnt like but i had a few no-fails that i knew she liked.

#8 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

I mostly make my own.  Main reason is that I have to eat some to get DS to, and I can't stand the taste of jar food

I freeze it in ice cube trays, and then store in ziplock bags.

#9 eachschoolholidays

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I have always used a combination of both.

I tend to make a big batch of, say, mashed sweet potato.  Put it into ice cube trays and then freeze it.  Once frozen, I pop them out and out them into zip lock bags.  When meal time arrives I would just pick a couple of different veges and the put them in the microwave.

Once they are a bit older, I will make a batch of vege risotto, vege pasta etc and put it into small container in the freezer.  Then it was just a matter of defrosting.

I always gave them a bag or Raffertys once or twice a week so that they would eat it in an emergency eg we got caught at the shops etc

#10 FeralBob!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

I always made my own and both DH and I worked full time when DD was a baby. I found it easy to put a variety of veg into a steamer to cook, and then puree and put into ice cube trays.  Later on I'd steam chicken or make savoury mince or bolgnaise. Risoni is useful too.

The first time she had any packaged baby food was aged 2 when a flight attendant gave her a custard one as as treat when we were flying to Europe.

She wasn't a fan.

Edited by WooBob!, 05 May 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#11 livvie7586

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (karlah @ 04/05/2012, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Over the past few years there has been controversy over ready made baby food jars containing things they shouldn't etc but has this put anyone off? I have to admit I was working full time when my boys were tiny so it was a form of massive convenience for me. I made the effort of choosing organic. Nonetheless it has left me feeling a little guilty that I should have made my own!

i fed mine jars and didn't even have the excuse of working.

DS would not touch homemade, and then started dropping right off the charts, so it was a case of getting him to eat whatever we could.  DD i was in the habit of buying jars for DS, so just continued the same way.

if we ever have a third i'll probably try to make my own, but i would never feel guilty for feeding my child a jar of baby food

#12 vitaechel

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

I also made my own and froze it. But I also had a few organic "just in case" back ups as DS got older. I don't think it's something to feel guilty about. I think we, as parents, do the best we can in our own given circumstances.

#13 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

We did blw but I was pretty excited to discover the rafferty's meal pouches when dd was about 8 months. We go away about 2 weekends a month and they have been so handy for those times.

I'm really not worried about a little commercial food when I know the other 80-90% of of meals are heathy

#14 skylark

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Made my own. I don't think he ever had anything out of a packet, although I used to curse the fact that he wouldn't eat avocado or banana, since they were such easy to transport instant meal options. I did do only organic for his first foods/tastings of each vegetable. I found that organic veges from our local organic supplier were more flavoursome, so I wanted his first tastes of everything to be the best possible. It wasn't economically viable for us to continue with all organic beyond that, but I do think it gave him a great start. It was a simple equation for me, because we eat little packaged and processed food in our household, so it didn't make any sense to me to feed my child those foods. If your lifestyle and household diet is based around a larger proportion of packaged or processed foods, then it makes more sense to me to use pre-made baby foods.

#15 TheGreenSheep

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

I did a mix of both.

#16 neddyteddy

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

I made most of the 'baby food' I do batches and freeze it. She won't eat many of the commercial options and the ones she does like have apple as the main ingredient so they are not exactly nutrition packed! I don't like the idea that things are heated to such high temps that they loose their nutritional value...

#17 bjk76

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

DS (13 months) has never had any packaged meals/pouches - like PPs I just cooked up some vegies/pasta sauce, pureed and froze. In terms of processed foods, he's had baby cereals, although went off them for a few months, bread, rice cakes (Aldi's don't have any additives), cheese and salt-reduced baked beans. I try to avoid too much commercially produced food as like a PP, I want DS to develop a taste for the real thing.

#18 Majeix

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

I always made my own. My first daughter only ate pures for a few days before insiting on finger food only so i used to rest of the frozen pured vegetables as a spread for her. Pumpkin etc spread on bread etc. Dd2 did baby led weaning so we just cooked and froze vegetable sticks etc so it was just as easy too make our own. original.gif

#19 Lokum

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

We didn't use commercial baby food at all

But I didn't exactly 'make' baby food. We did BLW so we just gave him food - simple ingredients simply cooked at the beginning (like rissoles or chops and single vegetables.) Then later more complex things like spag bol, chicken ristto, caseeroles etc.  But not pureed pasta... that makes me gag to think about. (Mind you, I have got shocking m/s and gag about most things!)

We never really pureed anything, except hummus and lentil soup - but that's what we were having anyway!

If I did already use commercial food in the past, I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about it. Unless it was because I was drunk? Gambling? Out partying and couldn't be bothered?

But if it was a decision based on convenience/taste/seemed like a good idea.... then who cares? I'm sure the children are fine now, so it's really of no great significance.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.