Solar panel Q
Is Glowatt a good option?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Michaelmichelle

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

We been warned of many china made brands. The salesman raved alot about Glowatt. Has anyone has it?

We been quoted $2900 out of pockets for 1.5 inverter.(Glowatt)

$38200 out of pockets for 1.5 inverter q cells (Sunnyboy)

Is it a good price?

Correct i mean $3820 for sunnyboy inverter 1.5

#2 laridae

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Growatt is a cheap chinese brand inverter. If you want good quality - get SMA or Aurora.

Seems expensive though - I've seen 1.5kW systems with an SMA (sunnyboy) inverter for around $2000.

What brand panels are they offering in their package?

Also - 1.5kW is a small system, are you hoping that will cover most of your power bills or only a small portion of them?

Do you know how much power you use a day?

#3 Michaelmichelle

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Do you have any recommendation?

Our daily consumption is 10units/day.Was told we neednt anything more than 1.5

#4 KristyMum-

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

our daily consumption is between 10-12 units per day (6 people) and our 1.5kw system only touches the top of it.  We get $30-$40 credit on our bill (ie, our bill minus that amount, not our bill AS a $30/$40 credit).
However, our system is not at peak capacity even in the height of summer due to being in the 'secondary' location (not the preferred location).  That said, even if it was at max capcity it's still only going to be about a third of our use maximum, and that's in summer.

My suggestion would be
(a) if you can maximise your system with mounting frames, do it, rather than settling for 'second position'
(b) get an invertor that you can add extra panels to later (and set up the panels on the roof to allow for this).
© look into minimising your energy use further, to make what you do generate go further.
(d) double check whether it will be cheaper to run your appliances at night, rather than the day.  ie from memory ours is 19c per unit to buy your e- and you receive 47c per unit to export it, then it will be cheaper to run as little as possible in the day and glean the maximum $ return on your generation, and use your appliances at night at the cheaper per unit price... if that makes sense. THAT said, we got the 47c rate before they started cutting all the programs, so double check how much you receive for what you generate, vs what it costs you to buy from the grid.

And probably, get a few more quotes and some more (preferably independent/from experience) information about what kinds of systems/invertors/panels etc are out there.

Good luck!  ps and come back and let us know how you go - and show off some pics original.gif

Edited by KristyMum-, 04 May 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#5 laridae

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

You don't use much power so you might be ok with that.
Average household uses about 18.

How much north facing roof do you have though? Enough for all the panels?  As you lose about 10% if you they face east or west.  Do you have any issues with shade (large trees?, tall neighbour houses?) , if you do you might lose some power generation there.  Also, if you have a flat (or fairly flat) roof, make sure you get tilt frames as you lose about %10 there as well, plus the panels get dirty a lot quicker due to not having good rain runoff.

Not exactly sure where in WA you are - but you could look on this website
http://www.pvoutput.org
and search on your postcode to find others in your area to see how much they generate with their systems.

In Perth - this person: http://www.pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=725&sid=563
has a 1.5kW system and they generate an average of 6.5-7.5kWh per day.  

You'd need to check with your power company - but I don't think you get much for feeding power back into the grid there - so you probably want something mainly to cover your daytime use, so probably somewhere in the vicinity of 1.5-2kW would be fine for you (you may need bigger if you have any of the issues I mentioned earlier).  Then just try and use most of your generated electricity during the day (as it gets used in your house before being exported to the grid), and not use much power at night.

If you were in my state I'd say get as big as you can afford/fit on your roof as we get paid the same amount for what we export to the grid as what we import - so it doesn't matter what time of day we use the power as we get a decent amount for it exported.

Aurora or SMA inverter with either REC or Suntech panels are supposed to be really good.  However the cheaper systems will will still produce nearly as much - they just might not last as long.

Get some more quotes - the price difference between the good stuff & the cheap stuff is not supposed to be much (maybe a couple of hundred) and if they last an extra 10 years that might be worth it.

I would not get a bigger inverter and hope to add panels later, unless you are planning to do that within a year or so.  First of all, the new panels would need to match the specs of the existing panels, which may be difficult in a few years time. Second would be that you need to wire the panels up a certain way so they produce the optimum amount of voltage for the inverter - adding extra panels may mean rewiring the whole system to get that.  You are better of getting something that will generate enough right away (if thats what you want it to do),  and you can always add another complete system later (without having any of the matching issues).

Edited by laridae, 04 May 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#6 KristyMum-

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

I would not get a bigger inverter and hope to add panels later, unless you are planning to do that within a year or so. First of all, the new panels would need to match the specs of the existing panels, which may be difficult in a few years time. Second would be that you need to wire the panels up a certain way so they produce the optimum amount of voltage for the inverter - adding extra panels may mean rewiring the whole system to get that. You are better of getting something that will generate enough right away (if thats what you want it to do), and you can always add another complete system later (without having any of the matching issues).

Agreed.  For example we can't add (not just because of the limit of the invertor) but because of roof space etc and we were told that if we wanted to replace the invertor to make it 'add-on', it would be more cost effective all round to just set up a second system.

However, as you've noted laridae, if the OP knows they can do x now, and will have a lump sum of some amount within a year or so, making it an 'add on' possible system, could work.

That and technology does improve all the time so see if 'add on' fits with what your plans are, of cours.

#7 angel_girl

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Hi there

We are getting a growatt system as well and today i was given double the price for a groatt system as well here in Western Australia so it's not just that they are cheap theres just a price war out there...original.gif

Everyone is giving the same warranties at the end of the day.

Hope that helps ease your mind

Oh and we went for 10 panels and a 3kw inverter so we can definetely upgrade later on as well and all up it cost is $2800

#8 laridae

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (angel_girl @ 04/05/2012, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone is giving the same warranties at the end of the day.

They aren't actually - they may be the same length - but they might have different conditions. eg if something dies, some might replace the panel or inverter on the spot, some might send it off for repairs back to China and you aren't generating power while they do that.
Some warranties are decreasing in value over time, until the end of the time you get nothing back.  Some installer warranties have conditions on them, like you need to pay for an inspection every 2 years or they aren't valid.  Read the fine print carefully!

QUOTE (angel_girl @ 04/05/2012, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh and we went for 10 panels and a 3kw inverter so we can definetely upgrade later on as well and all up it cost is $2800

Assuming you can still buy those exact same panels in a few years when you want to upgrade of course.  Or you'll be needing to buy them second hand somewhere or replace all the panels so they match.

Edited by laridae, 05 May 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#9 laridae

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

OP, as a comparison - this is what a small local company near me are quoting for the good quality equipment

1.5kW System
8 Suntech Power STP 190 watt mono-crystalline panels
SMA Sunny Boy SB1600TL Grid Connect Inverter
Cable, conduit, safety labels, circuit protection and enclosures
Panel mountings
Installation & commissioning

System Size 1520 watts
System Cost $4,250
Less Solar Credits/RECS (estimated)*** $1,375
Your Investment $2,875^

(This is in Tas - I believe we get less solar credits for the same system than WA, and its post 1 July install prices when the number of solar credits goes down).

As you can see - you can get the better quality components for about the same price as the cheap ones.

Edited by laridae, 05 May 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#10 KristyMum-

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

laridae you're in Tas?  I know things always claim to cost a bit more over here due to freight/transport etc esp if you're not metro.  Though I guess stuff is still subject to transport costs to Tas, it's still 'over east' to me. wink.gif

OP there's a few WA sites/people I can think of that might be able to help with price comparison for here.  Are you metro?  I'll find some links etc and PM you when I do.

#11 Michaelmichelle

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Yes we are in Perth Metro. Cant wait to hear more recommendations.Its so vexing theres so many options and prices

#12 angel_girl

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Laridae regarding a service call every year or two we generally do that these days for aircons and other things so i dont see a problem.   I rather that.

At the end of the day expensive is not always the best...there is a reason behind why they are so pricey...original.gif

#13 zibble

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Some great advice from PPs. OP have a look at the greentech forum on Whirlpool site and search the products and installers. I would personally go for either an Aurora or SMA sunnyboy inverter and get the biggest system you can afford. We recently bought a 4kw system (suntech panels and aurora inverter) and it's been good so far.

Good luck.

#14 angel_girl

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

original.gif)

I rather value for money than the most expensive that is all...original.gif

#15 Michaelmichelle

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

I rang solar shop and was very stunned to know that no sales rep is available to do a home consultation in WA. If the inverter breaks down we would have to contact the company directly .Can someone please enlighten if solar shop is a good choice?

#16 laridae

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (KristyMum- @ 05/05/2012, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laridae you're in Tas?  I know things always claim to cost a bit more over here due to freight/transport etc esp if you're not metro.  Though I guess stuff is still subject to transport costs to Tas, it's still 'over east' to me. ;)

Yes, sorry - came in through recent topics.  It shouldn't make a great deal of difference to the price though if you're using one of the large companies that do a lot, a smaller installer might have more overheads in shipping costs.  As long as its a metro area of course.

#17 laridae

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (angel_girl @ 07/05/2012, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
original.gif )

I rather value for money than the most expensive that is all... original.gif

Best value for money does not equal cheapest.  

You may get nice cheap gear, works well for a few months, so you think you've got great value.  Then it breaks down.  You've got no monitoring set up and aren't regularly checking (manually - because its not got any automatic monitoring being cheap gear) that its generating any power, so you don't notice until your power bill comes in that its been off for a month.  Then you need to wait another month while it gets shipped back to China for repairs.  How much money have you lost in that time?  Probably a lot more that the difference between a quality system that was a little bit extra to start off and the cheap system you got because it was 'better value'.

I don't get something that is most expensive either - but I spent time getting quotes and participating in the whirlpool green tech forum, enough that I know what price is a good deal for decent equipment, and what people who work in the industry think is good, reliable equipment that has a proven track record, and what they've found breaks frequently so I know what to avoid.

Realistically - you are only looking at a few hundred $ different between cheap and quality anyway (up to maybe a couple of $1000 for larger systems).

#18 laridae

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (Michaelmichelle @ 09/05/2012, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I rang solar shop and was very stunned to know that no sales rep is available to do a home consultation in WA. If the inverter breaks down we would have to contact the company directly .Can someone please enlighten if solar shop is a good choice?

Contact which company? The solar shop or the manufacturer or importer of the panels & inverter?

Plenty of others you can try if you don't like their terms original.gif

#19 blissfulqueenb

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

We went with solar shop and have a Sunnyboy SMA inverter and suntech panels. We chose to go with thin film panels rather than the mono crystalline ones as the performance was better in part shade (remember with most systems that are set up in sequence if you get shade in even part of one of the panels, the entire array will not produce) and also produced power from a larger range of conditions than the others we looked at.

Solar shop service left a lot to be desired, and they went into receivership after we got our system so I would be very wary of using them.  However, the system itself we couldn't be happier with.   Ours produces enough to power our house of 5 people plus we pay my sisters bill too with the credit each period.

#20 Michaelmichelle

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

After
researching i have settle for SMA 1.7 with 7 panels (q cells) cash lay-out $3300. Can someone tell me if its a good deal? Which company provides good after sales service? Look like solarshop isnt anymore. They havent even email me a quotation as claimed.

Btw
How do you share the electricity credits? among your sisters?

#21 blissfulqueenb

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

I don't know how price stacks up these days I'm afraid.  We got in before the rebates changed but ours is a bigger system.

When you go into credit on your power bill (ie: have fed more into the grid than you have used), they then owe you money. You can ask for a cheque, but you have to pay capital gains tax on this.  To get around that, you can pay anybody else's power bill.  We do that with my sister. We just ring up and give them her account number and tell them we want to use our credit to pay her bill.  I wouldnt imagine you would have spare on a 1.7 system though.

#22 laridae

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

For all accounts - q-cells are good panels, unfortunately their company has gone bust.

http://gigaom.com/cleantech/solar-shakeout...for-bankruptcy/

So I'd be worried about any warranty issues.

I think the price is a little high, but only by a couple of hundred - so not too bad.

#23 beaglebaby

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

Not worth looking up that website pp, we have no choice of electricity companies here in WA.

We installed through a small company called Independent Power Systems, we were also very impressed by Avant, they seem to have grown a lot since then, probably because unlike most of the other companies they actually understood what they were talking about and gave great customer service.  So many of the people selling systems couldn't answer really basic questions, or gave blatantly wrong information.

You get next to nothing for feeding back into the system here now, so it's worth making sure you use most of the power you generate during the day while you are generating it.  We are still on the old 47c tariff, so we do the opposite.

BQB, I wasn't aware of the capital gains tax on the money from power generation, will have to look into that, we have a large credit sitting in our account.

Oops, didn't realise this was a really old thread dragged back up by someone pushing their own website - sorry.

Edited by beaglebaby, 12 February 2013 - 02:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.