Breastfeeding clothing for mums.
...after some recommendations.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ubermum

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hi, I am fit to pop soon with a new baby and am looking to buy some breastfeeding tops. I want somthing that has a discreet opening at the bust line so my belly/side doesn't get cold while I am feeding, something long sleeve and something that holds up to being washed over and over without looking like rubbish. I know I am dreaming, but it would also be great if it wasn't too expensive.  Any mum's have any suggestions or even brand names of tops that they liked?

#2 barrington

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

A normal stretchy singlet with a cardigan did me through winter.

I would pull the top down on the singlet (sometimes take one strap off) to feed.  No exposed stomach, ever.

#3 chocolatecrackle

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

I am using a Bonds singlet with the straps extended all the way down with a tshirt over the top. Singlet sits under my breasts, tshirt comes up when I need to feed. I find that I get really cold if I don't have the tshirt as well!

I also have a Top Secret Maternity feeding singlet, from the ABA shop, which I really like. I wear it with a cardi.

There was a recommendation of a Swedish company with some awesome clothes, but I can't remember the name. They looked really good.

#4 Bluenomi

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

I loved Target's feeding tops. I have both short and 3/4 sleeved ones and got lots of use out of them.

Otherwise the singlet under a top thing was ok but a bit fiddly.

#5 ~LTM~

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

I got some at K-Mart for $20-$30.  

I bought them to wear as maternity tops initially to get more value out of them.

#6 pufflemuffin

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hi, I've just bought a couple of tops from here- they seem to carry all the main brands and have a sale section too.

http://www.nursingangel.com.au/

The nursing singlet (eg from Bonds or Kmart) with cardi/jumper is probably a good option for around the house too (and if you're still feeding in spring/summer you can wear on its own). Come to think of it, especially if you had a dark coloured singlet with a similar coloured long sleeve t or sweater, this would be fine to wear out and about too.

Good luck original.gif

#7 greenthumbs

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

I went with Kmarts Bub2Be singlets. I still use them 8 months on and have found them great.

Can't vouche for their quality now though, but they do still have them. Just chuck a cardie over the top and you'd be good to go.

They're cheap enough to have a bunch of them so they'll last longer if rotated frequently.

Otherwise something I saw online was to wear a singlet under a long sleeve shirt. Cut boobie holes so when you pull up the top shirt your tummy is covered and you have access to your breasts original.gif then you could use any cheap singlet with any shirt.

#8 PattiODoors

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

I'm due to pop anytime now too!
I've got a couple of breastfeeding tops from Target, you can get them in long or short sleeve. They are a thicker t shirt type material with lycra and wash really well. They hold their shape. I've been wearing mine in these last few weeks as they keep my bump warm and they are so comfortable.
The long sleeve are $25. Bargain!

Good luck with your upcoming birth.

#9 Isolabella

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Ripe Embrace tops great for PG and BFing.

http://www.motherlyinstincts.com.au/shop/i...top-long-sleeve

#10 PonyoLand

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

I've got a three month old and got the 5 for $149 deal from mumaway:
http://www.mamaway.com.au/index.htm?action...d=50&page=1
There's still a few there that might do. Otherwise I have some from Target & when I'm at home I can also just use stretchy v neck shirts.

#11 LoveMy3Kids

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

I bought a few Glamourmom nursing bra long tanks and wore them under my normal tops. That way when I undid my shirt or pulled up my top, all was covered. I think it would work out cheaper than long sleeve tops, and can be used all year round. I loved that the cup dropped and most of your breast was still covered.

#12 livvie7586

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

the target breastfeeding singlets with something over the top (the singlet dropped down, and the top came up).  i had lovable singlets, but they are a soft cup, so they needed a bra underneath (but were great for bed), but the target ones have an inbuilt bra original.gif

(that's if they're still available, i haven't BF now for 2 years)

#13 cloudstreet

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

I really think Bonds breastfeeding singlets underneath regular tops is the easiest answer. They're SO comfy, and I lived in mine for the first either or so months. I bought a few tops from Jeanswest to go over them because I didn't fit into any of my old tops!

#14 WinterIsComing

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Just bought a cute dress and got my mum to put a front zip in!!

Best idea ever - now I will on a lookout for normal tops and dresses and insert a few zip front openings.

(With a nursing bra underneath)

#15 zogee

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

I agree about just wearing a nursing singlet (or any camisole singlet really) and a 'normal' top on top of that. Also look for henley style tops with button up fronts  original.gif winter dresses are very difficult, unfortunately!

#16 BeachedAsBro

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yep, Target shirts. Lots and lots of colours this season too original.gif (last year was just black and white)

At night I wear Best and Less maternity singlets and my flannie pyjama top over the top. We bed share most of the time, so that's works well for us. I keep my arms and back covered all night too.

#17 MGB

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Target has some nice tops in long and short sleeve. I mainly wear the target singlets that have the in built bra with one of my regular tops.

#18 antsy

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

I found the easiest and cheapest option is a stretchy singlet under a loose or flowy top. When it's time to feed you pull the top up and stretch the singlet down under your breast. Nothing shows - your tummy is covered by the singlet and your breasts are covered by the loose top.

I have a maternity top from target with the breastfeeding holes but found it wasnt as good because the top panel didnt have enough coverage. Plus it didnt look flattering because it was shaped for a pregnant tummy.

#19 mm1981

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

There is a chain of stores called mamaway in Sydney. You can also buy stuff online. I don,t know the address but if you google mamaway, it should come up.

I recently bought some tops, they had a sale, I think it was five tops for $150. The quality is good, plus free delivery. If sizes are wrong or you don't like, you just post them back for a refund or exchange

#20 Angelina Ballerina

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

I've got heaps of BFing tops and think Top Secret Maternity are the best.

They give proper bra support, a drop down cup and the top of your breast stays covered. They are more expensive than some others but worth it.

Google and you'll find an online seller.

#21 redheeler

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

I love my target BF tops (have both the 3/4 sleeve & short sleeve) Target feeding top. They are cheap compared to many of the other BF clothes out there.

I also have stretchy singlets which I wear at night with a flannie pj top that you can unbutton. I really like the bond feeding singlets but I went from a C cup to a G cup & they are just way to small & uncomfortable in the cup (I also had this problem with the other feeding singlets with in built cups).

I have to say after 9 months of BF I am very bored of my wardrobe...but it's worth it  original.gif

#22 Ice Queen

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

I have worn the Bonds feeding singlets especially on 1st bub as she was a winter bub but this time i have been bf'ing over summer and have found them very hot.  I just get so hot when i am bfing so maybe keep that in mind when buying clothes.  I am now 5mths into feeding my 2nd and last bub and i hate having to go out and buy some new tops but i think i am going to have to! So sick of being hot in the singlets.

#23 T2Mum

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

I use the Boob nursing tops from Sweden that one of the earlier posters referred to. Not the cheapest option but I love how discreet and easy they are (especially as I am expecting twins this time around!).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Dealing with a toddler's morning tantrums

Your schedule is not important to your two-year-old, and you cannot convince her otherwise. So what can you do?

Child in suitcase 'could have died eight years ago'

A child whose remains were dumped in a suitcase in the South Australian bush is believed to have been a girl aged between two-and-a-half to four.

MP breastfeeds baby during parliamentary session

An Argentinian mum and politician has caused a stir on social media after being filmed breastfeeding her baby.

My baby's first seizure

It was 1am on a cold winter's night when I woke suddenly to the screams of my 12-month-old son. Our lives were about to change forever.

Portable pools 'more dangerous than permanent ones'

Inflatable and portable children's pools may be required to be sold with compulsory fencing to prevent backyard drownings, with some experts even floating the idea of a ban.

Heartbreaking moment mum kisses her one-week-old goodbye

At 11.07am on April 2 this year, Sarah Marriott welcomed baby Sebastian into the world.

The amazing Tee Pee bed and kid-friendly Frankie Bunk bed

These kids' beds definitely fit the brief of providing personality and personal space for little people who are moving up in the world.

The funny things kids say when you're pregnant

Since becoming noticeably pregnant, my son has taken more of an interest in the sibling he'll soon have.

The real problem with having one child

In this age of political correctness, it seems the one subject still subject to discrimination is that of the Only Child.

Six-week-old baby found dead, believed stabbed

A neighbour heard a child screaming before a baby was found dead, believed to have been stabbed, in a house in Newcastle.

The fire hazard in more than 70,000 Australian homes

So far, 206 Samsung washing machines have caught fire and some have exploded. But many remain in people's homes.

How having a baby can bring on OCD

We all know that having a baby can turn your life upside down - and it can also bring a raft of new anxieties and worries.

IVF gender selection being considered for Australian parents

Couples using IVF may be able to choose the gender of their babies and women could be financially compensated for donating their eggs.

The best age to get married (according to the latest study)

Not too young, and not too old. That's reportedly the best age to get married. Not everyone agrees.

Yes, you can get pregnant before your period returns post-baby

After giving birth, the last thing you want to think about is contraception. But you can get pregnant before your period comes back.

Fellow diner rewards mum after toddler's tantrum

Parents of toddlers everywhere know the feeling. After working up the courage to take your child out for lunch or dinner in public you are rewarded with a mid-meal meltdown. 

IKEA begins massive safety campaign after two toddler deaths

Two children were killed when pieces from their Malm furniture line tipped over.

Beaneasy: sweet nursery furniture with a twist

If you're looking to introduce an organic element into your baby's nursery but want to step away from natural timber, we have the perfect alternative.

A dad's guide to hyperemesis

I am in no way qualified to advise women on how to cope with hyperemesis, but I've learnt some lessons that might be worth sharing with other partners.

Woman adopts best friend's four daughters after cancer tragedy

Best friends share everything - and for these two life-long friends, that includes family.

Baby Leo's mum excluded from $500K trust 'for her own protection'

Samuel Forrest didn't want his wife as a trustee of their baby Leo's half million dollar trust for her own "protection", it has emerged.

Confirmed: men gain weight when they become dads

Men who become fathers experience weight gain and an increase in body mass index, a measurement of body fat based on height and weight, according to a new, large-scale study

Carer investigated over washing machine photo posted 'for a laugh'

She said the photo of a boy with Down syndrome in a washing machine was taken just for fun, but no one else was laughing.

Mum's premature labour nightmare after high tea salmonella outbreak

An opulent high tea at a luxury Melbourne hotel has left 44 people with salmonella poisoning - including a pregnant woman, who went into early labour.

The day my son started a fire

Would you know what to do in a fire emergency? How safe is your home and family?

Prince George celebrates second birthday

Prince George's second birthday has been marked by the release of an official picture showing the toddler smiling as he is held by his proud beaming father.

Which beauty treatments are safe in pregnancy?

Is it safe to use fake tan, hair dye and nail varnish during pregnancy?

The five ways I know my 'baby' is no longer a baby

The truth is, I can no longer deny that my walking, babbling, somewhat-independent little miss is no longer a bona fide 'baby'.

Review: Cybex Platinum PRIAM pram

I'm not usually one who believes in love at first sight but that's exactly what happened when I first saw the Cybex PRIAM.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Why I'm choosing to be a single mother right from the start

I believe that you get out of families what you put into them, and I will give mine my all.

Mother and baby units are a necessity for mental health, not a luxury

I have had two postnatal psychotic episodes. The first when my eldest child was six weeks old, and another after my second child was born.

30 French baby names

French names are always in fashion, but a few have risen in popularity in recent years.

New mum's Spanish maternity nightmare

A British woman who gave birth in Spain has told of her ordeal after spending weeks trying to convince medics the baby girl was hers.

Preparing Rover to be a good dog with baby

Some friends of ours say that it's dangerous to have a dog around a newborn and that we should start looking for a new home for him. Is it?

Company offers to ship working mums' breast milk home

First Apple and Facebook announced they would pay $20,000 towards the cost of their female employees freezing their eggs, now IBM in the US has come up with an innovative new policy aimed at retaining female employees.

Prince William speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte

The Duke of Cambridge opened up about family life and his plans for the future in an interview to mark his first day as an air ambulance pilot.

'Glowing' eye saves baby Mason's life

A simple photo taken in front of an evening fire gave new mother Sarah Bowers the power to save her baby's life. 

Parenting and decision overload

Of all the advice people told me before having a baby, no one warned me about the amount of decisions involved.

Proof that toddlers can't be left unsupervised - ever

Parents of toddlers all know the moment when realise your child is being suspiciously quiet. It can only mean one thing - trouble!

Meet Jeremy Ryan, The Voice contestant with seven kids

If you have trouble recalling the ages of Jeremy Ryan's seven children on The Voice, you're not alone. So does he.

Baby's adorable reaction to wearing glasses for the first time

Getting glasses can be a formative moment in a person's life.

Police officer buys supplies for family after mum of six caught shoplifting

When a mum of six was caught shoplifting nappies, clothes and shoes for her kids, the last thing she expected was for a stranger to pay for her haul.

Why pregnant women on antidepressants shouldn’t panic about birth defect claims

The risk of having uncontrolled depression is far greater than the small increased risk of birth defects that may be associated with specific antidepressants.

Arrests made over children's birthday party brawl

Police have raided properties and arrested a number of people over a brawl at a child's birthday party at a play centre in Sydney's west.

Family shares awesome drone baby announcement

Looking for a creative way to share some big news? Look to the skies, like this family did.

Young warrior Owen defies doctors' predictions

Little Owen DiCandilo's name means "young warrior", and it's a description that perfectly fits the inspiring 18-month-old

Advice for dads: when to approach your wife for sex

The exhaustion that comes with caring for young children often means romance between parents becomes a thing of the past.

I might be fat, but I don't need saving

I've been fat for pretty much most of life, besides a few crazy moments of being less-fat, but for the most part I've existed on this earth with a little more meat on my bones than desirable.

The rookie mistakes we make as parents

Since the dawn of civilisation, generation after generation of new parents have had to rely on instinct, trial and error - and sometimes get it wrong.

FREE TICKET

See Pinky McKay live in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.