Hello- I'm new...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scot in Oz

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

...to pregnancy and Australia!
I moved to Australia in July with my partner still in Scotland  sad.gif But with Skype and Viber twice a day and two visits in 10 months we've kept it going really well. It was on my recent visit home that I fell pregnant (a wee accident) and I didn't find out until I got back toAustralia! So in a nutshell I am here working ( on a temp visa) with no family , no partner but luckily some lovely friends (only one knows - she came with me to dating scan as ' surrogate mum'!) it's obviously not ideal and certainly not how I imagined my first pregnancy (I didn't think it would ever happen for medical reasons) and I have to be honest and say I have had definite moments of feeling very sorry for myself espec when I am exhausted, feel nauseous most of the time, am getting headaches and dizziness and then have to do all the cooking, cleaning etc when it's the last thing I can face!!
Anyway I just thought it would be good to have a forum of other women to chat to who empathise with the crappiness of the 1st trimester ( what health kick and gym membership?!i'll have another cake please.....!)
Look forward to getting to know you allScot in Oz ( SIO) x

#2 christmasiscoming

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hi there,

Welcome to the group !!  First trimester woes are something I'm feeling very familiar with.  I've just hit 12weeks though on Wednesday so hopefully they'll start to ease soon and that 'glow' you hear about might pay me a visit.  God knows I need a bit of 'glow' right now LOL.

x

#3 tanglez

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Welcome Scot in Oz!

Wow, what a challenging way to be pregnant, I tip my hat to how well you are coping original.gif It is really hard going through all the normal pregnancy experiences and try to keep your house running, get your work done etc. Sometimes you just want someone to cook you dinner and tuck you into bed lol! I hope you are able to reunite soon and get that personal touch! It does get easier, I am almost 15 weeks now and the nausa and dizziness have subsided almost completely, the constipation is gone and I am only half as exhausted but I think that is more work related for me. I am still as teary as every, was hoping that would ease up but I have resigned to being a tissue carrier for life! The glow, I dunno, I'm hoping!

Oh, by the way, huge ONGRATS on the pregnancy, sounds like an unexpected miracle!

#4 little lion

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

Welcome. original.gif first trimester has been a tough time, my husband has been such a help. You must be a pretty strong woman doing it on your own. What's your plan for the rest of the pregnancy? When does your visa or contract end? I'm already daydreaming about going on (unpaid) maternity leave at around 32 weeks  blush.gif

#5 *Enigma*

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Welcome! I feel you pain with first trimester nasties. This is my third and by far the most exhausted and sick I have felt! However I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It's hard when you working too, thoguh I'm studying atm, and moved to part time. Even that can be tough. I worked full time with my second so I know  smile1.gif

There are lots of lovely ladies here that can answer any questions. Many of us have been there before.

Congrats on your pregnancy  tthumbs.gif

#6 Scot in Oz

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome! I haven't been online for a few days so it was really nice to read these posts.
Little lion - I reckon I'm going to have to go home to Scotland and my partner but we haven't made any firm plans until I have the 12 week scan - week on Monday! I am worried about telling my boss as I've on,u been in the job for 10 months and am on a 4 year temp visa. But then this pregnancy wasn't planned and he is a real family man so I hope he understands. I will be very sad to leave Australia but ever since finding out I was pregnant I've felt quite homesick and just wish I was closer to my family and partner and friends.
Feeling particularly I'll today -  11 weeks and just as I thought my symptoms were fading I started being sick today and can't stop being sick! Nightmare! I  was trying to persuade myself it's a stomach bug but I don't think so :-(
Anyway Ive been getting great care from gp (apart from one very scary Russian dr....) and my midwife seems lovely so it could be worse.
Look forward to seeing all your updates and happy Friday everyone Scot in Oz x

#7 little lion

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

Telling your boss will probably be hard but babies are more important than a job. That's my perspective anyway (I started a new job in January and got my BFP inFebruary LOL). Good luck with your scan and I hope the morning sickness subsides.

#8 10to10

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hi Scot in Oz,

Welcome to the group and congratulations! I'm from the UK myself, so I can understand how hard it must be going through this without your family and partner around to support you. I've been here about 8 years, and wouldn't consider going back now, but I remember how long it took me to get over homesickness, and it must seem doubly hard when you're feeling so physically drained.

If you ever need anyone to chat to about adjusting to the strangeness that is Australia do let me know (sorry Aussies :-) - I love it here now but there were some things that took me ages to get used to!!)

Good luck with your scan too - bet you can't wait!

#9 Scot in Oz

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hi everyone10to10- what a kind offer! Thank you! I think this current limbo period - will my baby be ok/will I have good news to share or will I be coming to terms with no longer being pregnant due to a missed miscarriage(I've read too many scary stories about this...) is causing me to feel more homesick than before. Not being able to make a decision re staying or going but hey it's only another 5 days and then I'll know one way or the other. Where in the Uk are you from? Little lion- I totally agree with you; bub is WAY more important than work and I realise that more than ever now I'm expecting my first! My boss is a lovely man so I think he'll understand it's just a tough time for us all at work just now and I'm w orried about adding to that stress! SIO x

#10 10to10

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hi SIO, sorry for the late reply!

You're very welcome. You can never have too many people to share with, I say! I'm from Worcestershire, so slap bang in the middle. Hope the scan went well.

#11 Turquoise1

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

Hi Journeying Mums,

It was heartwarming reading your messages. I'm an Aussie in Turkey dearly missing girl time and...Melbourne. I recently visited the UK to reconnect with a few friends - one friend in Worcester and almost drove to my fave UK country - Scotland...but ended up in lovely Wales.

So I'm thinking of you homesick ladies and I can relate. I don't have any friends in this city of Turkey and life without girls at this time is really hard. So I'm looking forward to happier times for us.

Take care,
Turquoise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.