Bugaboo Bee or MB Swift?
Or something else.. help please!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Fifi-G

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

OK, here is my dilemma...

The MB Swift seems much loved and highly recommended (the ladies in the shop we went to said it was the best pram in the shop - their opinion), it is light, narrow and good over rough terrain...but I don't really love 3-wheelers or the look of it, or the fact that it's not possible to reverse face except using capsule and/or carrycot. It can take a larger capacity capsule (SnS Unity vs Maxi Cosi for the Bee) and due to is popularity, buying accessories will not be too costly.

The Bugaboo Bee can reverse face, locks into position when folded (you need to do up a strap with the MB), has a more compact fold (we don't have a big boot), easier to change seat incline (MB requires fiddling with straps), bigger storage compartment (i believe), but the wheels are small although not subject to flats and do have suspension.

I think my main uses of a pram will be daily walking at decent pace around the suburbs (footpaths, roads and occasional bit of park grass), some retail shopping (but probably not supermarkets), and meeting friends etc.

I love the idea of a reverse facing pram, despite many people's comments 'we never had that and it didn't matter' - and let's face it, I won't know whether it was a good idea until first baby #1 comes and then #2 later on, but I do know that DH will not be letting me sell and change prams if we find it's an issue.

iCandys are out of the running based on price, as is the Cameleon, although many Bugaboo users seem to prefer Bee over Cameleon anyway for its smaller frame and easier fold.

I am just so confused, wondering whether I should be looking at anything else out there. Are there any other reverse facing prams worth considering? And if I do decide reverse facing is not a big deal, should I just be buying the swift?

TIA original.gif

#2 Lokum

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Swift.

I have a 2nd hand Bee, and a MB Urban. Lots of friends have Swifts.

You've pretty much sized up the differences between the Swift and the Bee, except I don't think there's much difference between the baskets - Swift might even hold marginally more, though it looks less because it's a weird shape.

I think the risk of flat tyres is overstated unless you're doing some serious off-roading. We do park walks on mostly gravel, some grass and I take gutters pretty hard now DS is bigger. Never had a puncture in 2 years, though we have had to pump up the tyres up a few times.

The Bee drives beautifully in shopping centres. Outside perfectly smooth surfaces, there's no comparison. The Bee struggles to handle gutters, or rough surfaces where the Swift will handle them with ease.

I ADORE my MBU. I only use the Bee for shopping centres and travel. ALWAYS the the Urban for everything else. I think the Swift would give a much gentler ride for a newborn.

We did use the bassinette on the MBU until almost 4 months old, and loved it. I don't think the cocoon on the Bee looks like it provides enough structure... but that's probably just prejudice.

I DO live the Bee, and it has its purpose. But if you're only getting one, get the Swift. It will last much longer than the newborn period, and the rearface/forward face thing is really only relevant to tiny babies.

#3 chocolatecrackle

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I find that the Swift doesn't fit well in our hatchback, and DS (a small bub) grew out of the bassinet by 12 weeks (too narrow, not too short). I didn't go on much rough terrain when he was in the bassinet as he wasn't strapped in and I worried that he'd be bounced around too much.

Having said that, I think we will get more use out of it in the future - but I am still tempted to get a lighter stroller for keeping in the car!

#4 belindarama

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

I love my bee. We got it when DS1 was 12 months. We bought itin Hong Kong as my Quinny Zapp wasn't cutting it. I did to find it a problem in a very uneven, difficult urban environment. It handled it fine.

Then we used it for DS2 from birth. It still looks brand new and handles as well as the day we got it.

We got a skateboard for long days out to give an option on moving both of them along when they are tired.

#5 MuddyPuddles

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

Swift.
Absolutely love ours, lightweight and great on any surface including the beach! They didn't make the bassinet when DS  was born, but I have gone and bought one now for the next bub. I never have problems in shops or cafes due to the narrow width but friends with the bugaboo's seem to. The straps to adjust the seat are really easy to use and the basket holds quite a lot.
Good luck with the choice!

Edited by zaacaa, 02 May 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#6 Cyaira

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

I don't know if this helps but I decided not to buy a bee as the seat is so low to the ground.

I know you're supposed to lift bub using your knees/squat but I know I'd often bend over to look at bub, arrange something in the seat etc. I think this would eventually cause back issues for me and would be difficult if I ever had a c-section.

Can you try the swift in your car to see if it fits? I'd lean towards the swift for this and the reasons other PP'ers mentioned.

#7 Mummy fab

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

I would suggest that you hold off until the baby jogger city versa is released.

Has a very compact one handed fold, large seat, large shopping basket, can face you or the world, and looks like it will be able to handle the kinds of areas you will be walking in.

I have a bee and dont love it, its a really nice push though.  I have a cammy and must admit the 2 piece fold is starting to bug me and i cant wait for the versa to be released.  

Have a look on you tube and see what you think.

V

#8 Fifi-G

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thanks Aliyah's Mum, the BJ City Versa does indeed look quite good since it has the reverse facing feature. The only question mark is the release date.

Other than that, the swift seems to be in the lead... (still just not sure about lackj of reverse facing feature though huh.gif )

#9 cloudstreet

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hi Fifi-G. I have a Swift and love it. My car is pretty small (hatchback) but it fits fine in the boot, and it really does handle excellently on all kinds of paths. I do a fair bit of walking with it and never had a problem.

HOWEVER, if reverse facing is really important to you, then I'd choose another pram. I used the bassinet for maybe 8 or 10 weeks, my DD seemed not to enjoy it very much (although it's very cute). As you said, most people seem not to be bothered by what they don't have, but I do agree that having baby face you would be nice.

The BJ City Reverse sounds great!

#10 starqueen_78

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I love my bee......... but NOT for walking on footpaths. It is great for the shops etc........ We have a massive Mutsy we use for walking.

#11 FauxPas

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

I had a Bugaboo Cam and sold it (thank goodness for the great re-sale value!) and now have the Swift.

I vote Swift 100%.  I think the reversing feature is over rated (I now have baby number 2 so maybe less attached to those types of features).

The biggest advantage of the Swift for me is that it is just so easy. Everything is easy.  Folding, walking, adjusting.  You don't need a degree is Bugaboo to operate it and even if you don't know something you can figure it out as the Swift is made in such a logical way.

Contrast this with Bugaboo which is just soo fiddly.  The Bugaboo had me in tears a number of times when bubba was little whilst with the Swift I just can't stop commenting to my husband that it is the best pram ever.  Plus it is as easy to fold and use as our stroller (MacLaren) but much more comfy for bubba - we will be keeping it for years to come  original.gif

Good luck with your decision  original.gif

#12 *mylittleprince*

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

I absolutely loved my Swift! All my friends also loved it and a few have bought one based on our recommendations. We put DS flat from day one and used it for 18 months until he decided he no longer wanted to go in a pram. Absolutely best pram ever!

#13 deejie

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

I love the Swift. When we bought it for DS1 it didn't have a bassinette attachment-- so we just strapped him in lying down flat. No problem. It folded fine in our hatchback, we just piled stuff on top of it wink.gif

The forward facing and not being able to see Mum did cause some security issues with him between 2-4 months, but after that he loved forward facing and seeing the world. In that short period I just utilised the baby carrier.

Regarding the wheels-- our Swift has been everywhere. Around my parent's farm, offroad camping by a river, beach, walking tracks and the only puncture I ever had was walking through Melbourne's CBD! It really is an awesome little pram.

edit- spelling

Edited by deejie, 04 May 2012 - 08:38 PM.

#14 bean1977

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

We have a MB Swfit and love it.  We used the basinette for the first 4 months until our little girl outgrew it.  She loves sitting in the pram looking out more than the basinette.

We also have a small hatchback and it fits in fine.

The basket fits in a reasonable amount of stuff - just sometimes have to pack it carefully to make sure everything fits!

I have walked miles with our MB Swift as we only have one car - we have been off road, on pavements, shopping centres etc.  Had a couple of punctures in 16 months.

Overall it is an great pram and we have never regretted getting it.

#15 MeNinja

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Just wanted to put my vote in for the MB swift. Just bought it home today and it is the best. So narrow and manouverable compared to the Strider I had for DS. I can't wait til bubs arrives to take it for a spin!

#16 Hooray Henry

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

Probably an unnecessary post given all the replies already, but we've had our Bee+ a few weeks and have really noticed how difficult it can be on a footpath that isn't dead straight/flat.  I wouldn't recommend it as a walking pram - at all.

#17 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Another swift vote. When DS was little he would pretty much go to sleep in seconds, so the whole rear facing thing would have been a really scientific debate.
It's been a great walking pram, the basket isn't huge, but it's perfectly adequate, and he certainly seems happy in it.

#18 Fifi-G

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

Thanks everyone. Your replies have answered my question about the Bugaboo not being suitable for walking. It looks like the Swift it is! There doesn't seem to be anything better.

#19 carolyn*3girls

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Sorry to put in a different vote - but how about the Baby Jogger City Mini GT?  It has all the same fetaures of the Swift but has a bigger seat, bigger hood and the one-hand small fast fold.  Win win

#20 Fifi-G

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Just to update....

I had a look at the BJ City Mini GT today and it's pretty good! I didn't think I would like it, but the easier one-handed fold that locks into place, the hand brake and the bigger seat, not to mention the fact that the steering and ride felt smoother (it was a dream to steer - better than the swift which is also pretty good), means this is another contender!

The ladies in Baby Bunting today were not nearly as keen on MB as some others have been, plus a few of them complained of having jammed fingers attempting to fold, lift and unfold MB and when removing attachments (as I did today in store huh.gif ).

#21 spottydog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Dont listen to what the sales people like, its up to your preferance.

I have a swift, LOVE it, never jammed my fingers in, i do have the 2009 model but i think they are all the same. Its the best all round pram, small enough to fit in car, lift in boot etc, big enough for shopping and a heavier kid later on and good for walking or shops original.gif

I havent had a look at the other prams mentioned as i never needed to.

Good luck, pram shopping is fun.

spotty.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.