Nits! Please share your wisdom

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 faerychild

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

My god,  what a nightmare nits are.   Im my 35 yrs, Ive been lucky enough to have never had an outbreak of them, so this is all new to me.

The last week of first term, my daughter caught nits from someone at school.  I did the 'conditioner' treatment as advised by mother in law.  It seemed to work.   No one told me however that they would reappear 7 days later.....oh joy.   Treated her again,  no luck, they were still there.   The eggs particulary,  they seem to stick like bloody super glue.

It took me the whole of the school holidays,  more condtioner treatments,  plus I tried 2 different brands of Nit treatment,  including Quit nits which I left in overnight,  
before I think I finally got rid of them.     I have changed pillow cases daily,  washed her hair a bazillion times,  treated the whole family.......etc etc etc.   Finally I think they are gone.

Brushing her hair today - she has more eggs....oh wahhhhh sad.gif    What am I doing wrong?   Any other tips?   Why WONT THEY GO AWAY

#2 Breeze82

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

If the eggs are more then 3mm away from the scalp they are empty.  I have used lots of different products and fou f the Moov solution the best, you just put it in, leave for a bit and wash out. It kills both lice and eggs. I now spray my kids hair with water and teatree everyday which seems to be keeping them away as we haven't had any for over 6 mths. Good luck

#3 bubblegummum

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

I don't do conditioner alone, I mix it with tea tree oil.  Conditioner by itself makes the lice and eggs easier to brush out but doesn't kill them so you have to make sure you get the lot.  

If your dd can cope with sitting still for about an hour sit outside with her and patiently work your way through her hair picking out every single egg.  They stand out clearly in the sunshine.  I did this once with one of my girls who has long, thick hair.  It finally broke the cycle.

And use a metal nit comb.  They are much better than the plastic ones.

Edited by bubblegummum, 02 May 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#4 faerychild

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

Oh cool,  I saw the Moov brand at the chemist.  There are so many different brands !   Thankyou, will get it today.

How much water and tea tree?  lol

#5 Mrs Who?

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

I use Moov Shampoo here too. Very easy to use but I always re-do  7 & 14 days after the first treatment.
Make sure you wash her school hat & we've just started spraying hair each morning with tea tree, eucalyptus & lavender oil in water.

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

I feel for you, it is a common nightmare problem for parents of school aged children.
Are you removing every single egg after the treatment?
I think often this is the crux of the problem as just one egg left in that has not been killed off by the treatment will hatch and the cycle starts again.

I have always relied on a very strong light, if you can use a magnifying glass even better and painstakingly go through every strand of hair pulling or combing off evey egg.
Once this is done then warn your child to not have head to head contact with other kids, tie back hair into plaits because head lice don't fly or jump, they transfer by crawling from one head to another.
Some mums will spray their child's hair with a tea-tree spray or use gel or mousse as it seems to be a bit of a deterrent.
It is difficult when not all parents treat their children properly so all you can do is reinforce the necessity to stay away from other heads.

Don't stress too much about the bed linen etc. Head lice live on the scalp and die very soon when they are off the head.

#7 ~Bob~

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Google nit hairdresser in your area. We have one near us and we went (5 of us had them!!!) and in one treatment they were all gone. It was an expensive exercise but well worth it.

#8 FeralZombieMum

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

If you've been using the cheap plastic nit comb, then this would be one reason why they are still there. Invest in a Lice Breaker Comb as they remove eggs and new hatchlings.

Your method of combing might need improving - the fresh eggs are close to the scalp, so you have to make sure the comb gets right in there.

It's also possible she caught more since you combed.

When we have nits - I comb the first day. Then I might comb the next day (if it was a bad infestation), but if there was only one or two lice and a few eggs, then I would comb on day 3, then I comb 2 days later, then 3 days later, and 3 days later, and once again 3 days later. I then comb once a week as there is a high risk they are being passed around by my kids friends. Rarely do I find eggs and lice on my 2nd combing, because the lice breaker comb is extremely effective.

Make sure you also comb your other children and yourself - it's possible you've go them now and have passed them back onto her. ohmy.gif  Tounge1.gif

Edited by ZombieMum, 02 May 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#9 bubblegummum

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Check your active ingredients though.  I think Moov is one that has eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil as active ingredients.  Considering how easy it is to mix some essential oils with a cheap conditioner it's so much cheaper to make your own.  And you'll have the (very full) bottles of essential oils on hand for cleaning or future nit attacks.

#10 pod30

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

I wash my eldests with neutra lice every second day keeps the buggers away even when there was an outbreak for the rest of her class. /it's quite mild.

#11 Apageintime

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cont...118/5/1962.full

This article says hair dryers may be effective in killing nits, also I have used a hair straightener and it's been quite effective.

#12 faerychild

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Thanks all so much.   I new asking a bunch of mums would be my best option :-)

#13 Julie3Girls

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

My youngest got them at the start of the year. First time I've had to deal with them, so pretty pleased I managed to get my oldest to yr 5 without any!!!

Tried the treatments, and combing out and it simply wasn't working. Kept finding more.

I ended up buying lots of cheap conditioner. Sat her on a low seat under a bright light, smothered her hair in conditioner, and combed it out with a metal lice comb.  
I section the hair, start from the back, base of the neck. Used one of those dividing combs with the long stick bit on it, to divide the hair. Most of the hair held up and away, with a small amount down. Then ran the nit comb through it. Took a bit more down, comb again. Once I got up closer to the top of the head, I had the hair on the top and sides up, and worked upwards from each side.

I did the conditioner one night, did a non-conditioner check the next night.  Did the conditioner again on the 2nd or 3rd night. Checked it again the next night. Did the conditioner once more and didn't find anything at all.

Just make sure you have good light, and something for your child to do - DD would play her DS, so that made it easy with her head down.
Sunlight is good. I also found the bright heat lights in the bathroom were great for finding them.

#14 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Another one recommend the Lice Breaker Comb. It's fantastic. We have no problems getting rid of nits using that comb. Cheap combs just don't work because they don't get rid of all the eggs.

I agree with STBG- if nits are recurring it's usually because eggs are being missed and the cycle just keeps on repeating. It's important to ensure you do follow up treatments in a 7 day period to catching anything that has hatched. And use a good nit comb

I do the first treatment and I keep combing till I am not seeing eggs/nits on the paper I'm wiping the comb on. Repeat treatment again in 2 days and another 2 days after that. I hardly ever find anything after the initial treatment- Lice Breaker comb is so effective at removing the nits/eggs.
I have never wash bedding, pillowcases. Nits don't live long away from the food source.

Miss 3 won't let me comb her hair (it's very curly so hard to get a comb though). On her I use Full Marks Solution from the chemist. It's natural and works.

Moov burnt a friends DD's scalp so be careful of that one.

I always plat DD's hair for school and we do not wash her hair during the week. Hair is sprayed with a nit prevention spray or hair spray every day.

#15 Kat5

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

DD has only had one outbreak in 10 yrs; I got rid of them my using a lice shampoo from the chemist every 7 days for 4 weeks. I think this was the best way, because if one egg survives and hatches it takes a week or so to be mature enough to lay eggs and can then lay eggs for over a week etc....point being, even if just one egg survived, the 4 week method guarantees to get every one of them gone because all the live eggs from any of the cycles would have hatched and any live lice would be too small to lay eggs and the shampoo would kill them original.gif. It really irritates me when parents do one treatment and then say two weeks later that their kids have 'been given' nits again...ermm...no, its the SAME cycle of head lice that should have continued to be treated :S. New eggs are laid as close to the scalp as possible and some are microscopic to the human eye- there is no way you can effectively treat head lice in one go.

After shampooing I would sit there for ages combing through her lonnnng hair with a metal comb sad.gif. Between every shampoo treatment (so on the 3rd or 4th day) I did a 'conditioning' treatment, where I used egg-breaking conditioner or regular conditioner and combed through her hair pulling off any eggs I could find. It would take hours because she has hair almost to her bottom sad.gif. After every shampoo treatment or conditioning/combing treatment, I would blow dry her hair and then use a hair straightener from roots to tips. It was horrible...some nights she didnt get to bed till 10pm because of how long it was taking sad.gif.

It's been over a year and *touch wood* they havent returned. Since then, I've put a few drops of tea-tree oil in a water spray bottle and use it every day, as well as plaiting or braiding DD's hair.  Good luck getting rid of them OP.

#16 Ice Queen

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

I have the same problem!  Awful isnt it especially the 1st time as, like you, i didnt get all the eggs as i didnt realise how important it was to comb them out.  

So i did the treatment 2 days ago with one of those awful chemical smelling shampoos but last night i found a lice and today i found another one when combing with the metal comb.  So i know i didnt get them all the 1st time round.

Soooooo my question is ......Can i re-treat with the lice shampoo tonight?  Is it too harsh to be using it twice in 3 days or do i persist with conditioner and combing with a metal lice comb.  I bought some tea tree oil today too but annoyingly couldnt find a spray bottle.   sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Coping with a bolter

My 15-month-old has suddenly added a burst of real speed to her toddle. She should be classed a flight risk.

Single, 51 and pregnant

Tracey Kahn didn't realise she wanted to become a mother until she was well into her 40s. Now 51, she is pregnant with her second child.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

The 'no children' wedding invite

"It's her wedding, so the day is all about her, not your baby." How major fall-out can occur over a simple wedding invitation.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.