Baby Carrier 10kg +

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jindy poss

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Just wanted to get some feedback about baby carriers for 10kg and up. I have a baby bjorn (sp?) and loved it but DS is just to heavy for me to wear him like that now. I do like the idea of the hip carrier types, also the back carriers look ok but I dont want something really bulky.

This carrier will mainly be used so we can go and visit DH at work this winter. He works in the snow and we have to catch oversnow transport to get there. So im looking for something that is quick and easy to put on, doesnt take up to much room and lets me have free hands to I can carry all the rest of our gear up and down the mountain.

I would love to know what has worked for others.
Thanks.

#2 FeralSchnitzel

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Ergo for me. Portable, can do hip and back carries, my DD1 and DD2 never failed to sleep in it, and I can STILL carry my DD2 at 3yo in it for at least an hour at a time, very comfortably. I have a lower back injury as well!

#3 Katie_bella

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

We love our ergo here, but our bubs isn't 10kgs+ yet....we may not like it as much then. wink.gif
You can use it as a hip and back carrier too. We often use ours for bushwalking and I never get a sore back/shoulders from it.

#4 feral strawberry

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Ergo all the way. So comfy! Had a baby bjorn and it was uncomfortable. The Ergo has nice thick should straps like a back pack and my boys loved it original.gif Also has a hood for when bubs is sleeping. Can use it front , back & side.

#5 jindy poss

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thanks ppl's sounds like the Ergo is the way to go.

#6 Cranky Kitten

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

I prefer the Beco Butterfly2 to the Ergo personally, though check out the Manduca as well. They're all similar concepts, but I find my beco is more adjustable than the ergo and thus more comfortable.

The hip carry in the ergo is a bit awkward as straps need adjusting and unclipping but back carries are pretty simple once you get the hang of it. The hip carry in the beco is different to the ergo as rather than using the shoulder straps it's just rolled up and worn like a belt with the body of the carrier acting as a little cushion/platform for bub to sit on - not good for long carries (back carry is best here) but good for quickies into the shops and stuff.

#7 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have both a Baby Bjorn Comfort (which has a hip belt and wide and narrow seat options)  and an Ergo. My son, 6.5 mo and 10.8kgs prefers the bjorn, not sure why.  I find it a little easier to put him into without needing help or somewhere to actually put him.  

But the Ergo can also go on back, has pockets, and comes in much nicer colours and patterns, so I like it better.  Hoping DS changes his mind.  I think because he's actually quite young, just heavy, he might like the Ergo more when hes older.  

#8 jantastic

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

I have a Hippy Chick hip seat, which is great for my son, even now at 18+ months. It's more for a toddler/child than a baby though.

#9 allyr

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Beco Butterfly2 or Mei Tei.

#10 Kasey5

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Ergo here too. We used ours lots. DD used it to 3 1/2 yrs, and DS still loves it at nearly 3. Much better for travel than solid framed pack.

#11 hoohoobump

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Ergo here too. DS is nearly 2.5 and 17kgs. I can still quite happily carry him in it. Baby Bjorn killed my back/neck.

#12 nomissjane

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

I've just bought a fantastic new  Boba carrier for my DD.
She's 11.5 kg and a few weeks of 2yrs old.

I really, really wanted to love the Ergo carriers as I'd heard some great reviews about them and I know that EB'ers love them, but sadly I just didn't and she and I just wasn't comfy in any of them.
I'm so thrilled with it.

It's also a soft carrier that has the same hip belt/support that the ergo has, can be worn front or back, has a head cover for when she's fallen asleep and what I love the most is that it has detachable supports for her feet which we love.
It's been designed more for bubs over 12mths to 22ish kg, but we used our Baby Bjorn before this which ended up being agony.
We went all around the zoo last week for a couple of hours and it was brilliant, I found it completely comfortable and I'm currently 16wks pregnant.

I got mine from Nursing Angel about half the price of the Ergo.

You might just love the Ergo as I know they are super popular, but in case you don't the Boba is definitely worth considering.

#13 happybabywearer

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

definitely check the manduca. It has extended  back that you can un zipped so it is very supportive for toddlers! I'm wearing very comfortably my 16mo in it (weights about 12kg)

This kind of carriers are very personal... every person will find different soft structure carrier more comfortable for her so if you could try them and compare that will be the best option for you:)
otherwise just get one and worst case, if it doesn't fit you, sell it and get another...

#14 jacksantos

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hi y'all! Just now I am shopping for a carrier, online. My baby is 6 months old now and he's really getting heavy I have back aches every time I carry him. I found this store that sells baby carriers but I'm really not sure of the quality. Please advise.

#15 Cranky Kitten

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (jacksantos @ 09/11/2012, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi y'all! Just now I am shopping for a carrier, online. My baby is 6 months old now and he's really getting heavy I have back aches every time I carry him. I found this store that sells baby carriers but I'm really not sure of the quality. Please advise.

Had a quick look - looks like a pouch style sling which you have to be quite careful with to make sure you've got it sized correctly. Not sure how supportive the fabric would be either to be honest. If you're chasing a one-shouldered option in particular I'd recommend a simple open tailed ring sling such as a Maya or similar. Great for short carries, such as nipping in to the shop or school pick ups etc. Much easier to adjust and use correctly.

Otherwise, have a look at two-shouldered options - either buckle carriers like the Manduca or Ergo, mei tais or you could even look at woven wraps (not as hard as they look with a bit of practice). Just be wary if looking at Ergos online as there's heaps of fake ones available very cheaply - make sure you check Babes In Arms (the Australian Distributor) for the list of authorised resellers to make sure you're getting a genuine item.

The facebook group Baby Wearing Buy Sell Swap is a wealth of information about various options, links to Australian vendors, babywearing meets in your area where you can try before you buy and plenty of quality second hand carriers for sale too original.gif

#16 Spiritosa

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

I recently used my Ergo for my 18month old (almost 12kgs) constantly on holidays in Japan.

It was great, my back never hurt once but my legs did hurt at the end of the day! I guess some part of the body actually does have to do the 'carrying'!

#17 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I have a manduca and I love it. Can carry my 15kg toddler in it and it goes up to 20kgs so i could probably carry my 6 yr old in it if I was that keen.

I also have a woven wrap which I love as well but it does take some getting used to.

#18 hickmantt

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

I spent a lot of time looking for the best quality and prices. But finally decided the best choice is still there SPAM

#19 Jupiter

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

^ laughing2.gif  

Spam indeed.

#20 *littlemiracles*

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

A manduca lover here. Had a baby bjorn for my first and we both hated it. I found it hurt my back and she was never comfy. This time around I tried on heaps in the baby store after recommendations on the ergo and manduca. The manduca sat more comfortably on my shoulders and I love it. DD loves it, often falls asleep when we use it on beach walks etc. I am only a shortie and quite petite but don't even notice carrying her. She is just over 7kg now. Once she gets a little bigger we will switch to a back carry. It is super easy too get on and off (although the mean lady in the baby store didn't think so - she was a baby bjorn fantatic but thats another story). Have not regretted my choice on the manduca, but def try some on with bub to see what suits you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Vote for a chance to win $5000

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby news for Isla and Sacha

Congratulations are in order for Aussie actress Isla Fisher and her husband, Sacha Baron Cohen.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Vote to win

What are your favourite baby products?

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.