Raising 7+ children
Any mums happy to chat/share?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 5peas in my pod

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi-yall,

I used to think 5 was our magic number..... I am now thinking 7 original.gif
I still just feel as though there is stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill someone missing.....

We have 6 children, including baby twins (yup, even they havent deterred me lol).

I am not really sure what the purpose of this thread is except I just need to chat and sound out my feelings..... and I guess hope someone else has been through these emotions too?

What happened to you? and what made you go for a 7th child? Please share about they joys of your brood of 7 or more!

Or is anyone else thinking about a 7th?

Our greatest issue, even if DH agreed, will be other people (mother included) and their reactions. We ourselves have everything we need to love and raise another child.....financially, emotionally and logistically.....

Edited by 5peas in my pod, 30 April 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#2 wylie2007

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi, I dont have 7... or even 5 kiddies, we have 3 and will be trying again for 4 soon enough. I just wanted to say good on you and I know how you feel about other peoples reaction, My mother in law questioned my husband about me being pregnant  again (I was secretly going through a miscarriage, only dh knew) he told her I wasnt and she said "good, you'd be a f***ing fool if you were" My husband said "why so what if we were" to which she replied "What on earth would you need another one for"  ohmy.gif . I think if it makes you and your dh happy and you have ability to then go for it.Good luck

#3 newyearbaby

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

When we were planning for this pregnancy, we knew it would be the final one. I personally only had one more in me. I think a woman knows when she is finished.

So, if you still think one more would be good, then go for it. But just ask yourself if you know that would be the last one. Or will you still be wanting one more?

#4 TheAppetiser

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

I have a friend who has 8.  She also has a set of twins in the mix.  At 8 she said she knew she was done.  Enjoyed every minute but didn't have that urge anymore.  Maybe you do know when you're done - and when you're not.  My friend did and despite everyone questioning whether she would have more, hasn't wavered since.

#5 mum-of-10

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hi, I am pregnant with #11. I never really knew how many I wanted but I did know that after each one, I wasn't finished. I guess I was waiting for that finished feeling and when we fell pregnant with twins, we both were the surest we've ever been that we'd be done. Sadly we lost our baby girls at 19 weeks last year. I really wished I could shake that incomplete feeling but it just seemed to grow and became overwhelming. I just couldn't finish that way IYKWIM?

After my body recovered from the D&C I had to have, I fell pregnant again quite easily, though I'm 45 and everything is going very well with this bub. Apart from helping with our grieving and healing, this baby has helped me feel like we are complete again. I truly think it's a very personal and individual thing and every woman is different. No one has the right to judge you, whether you want 2 or 12. Sounds like you have the practicalities sorted and lots more love to give so I think, as long as your dh is happy to then why not?  wink.gif

#6 opethmum

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Don't even have that amount of children but I am part of a large family. Only you will know when you are done having kids, if you feel that your heart can love more and that you are ready for change that another baby brings then go for it.

If you and your DH find that you can't grapple with the reality of 7 finance, emotionally etc then do not do it and find peace with the children you have and enjoy the next chapter of your life in raising the kids you do have with no regrets.

I do hope you come to peace and make a decision that you and your DH are happy with.

#7 ~my happiness~

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hello darling girl original.gif

I'm no help at all, I just wanted to say "go for it" and good for you!!
During my pregnancies I always feel like maybe I couldn't do "this" again, whatever stage I'm at (but have never actually said it outloud, apart from #5) , but once the baby arrives I am a gush of hormones and happiness and I just know I simply AM NOT DONE.
Trying to stop me would be a very bad idea! Lol

After #5 arrived and I had been so adamant during the pregnancy that I wasn't doing that again, everything just flipped on its head and there is no way I could make a final decision about whether we would have more.  The universe helped me decide! and I'm so happy it did because this is a very much wanted snowdrop!

My mother said the most horrid thing "oh god, are you keeping it" to be precise. Pffft to her. She is seriously cut from any conversations and will not be included in the excitement of this baby!!
Mother in law was no better, said to our eldest "isn't 5 enough?, when are you going to stop?" I mean as if a 9 year old knows what that means!!

So eventhough none of this makes much sense or is in any way helpful, I think you should do whatever you feel is right for you and your DH.  Anything you might have said to think you were stopping at 6 was only those preggy hormones (twins at that!) talking and now you are out the other side, you will know if you can do it again.

For me, I have been so incredibly ill and seriously incapacitated because of it, during this preg, coupled with zero family support, very little real life support (unless paid) of any kind, and now with these last two going to be quite close together, I know I am done. Add to that the incredible stress of the medical profession slamming down my throat my "greater risks" due to maternal age alone, I was in a world of hurt with numbers and ratios and a load of extra testing, stress I just cannot go through again.

In a perfect world, a friend roster with hot dinners and free babysitting for a couple of hours, and just enough extra support for a week to get us through, I might be game, but that's not a reality so I think my baby creation chapter closes this year. If half my friends didn't live in the computer, I'm sure that they would rally enough friendship to support us and help DH out while I'm recovering! But its not real. Plus you're younger than me  tongue.gif

Go for it darling. Keep me in the loop! original.gif
Much love
Bella

#8 What'sNext??

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

I have no advice as only have 4, but it's beautiful to read posts like this.  

Good luck making your decision!

#9 Ianthe

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

I 'only' have five but I knew after our fifth that I was completely done. I didn't think I would ever reach that point and always want 'just one more'.

#10 ~Sorceress~

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

I know now that I am happy with my six. I think if we'd stopped earlier I would have been missing somebody forever. I am still clucky but no longer desperately unbearably clucky biggrin.gif .

Laura, congratulations! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

OP, good luck with your decision making biggrin.gif .

#11 7girly-girls

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

_

Edited by 7girly-girls, 16 June 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#12 5peas in my pod

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

Loving reading these replies.

#13 rebekah-mum

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hi
I have had 11 with 1 set of twins 8 boys and 3 girls my youngest has special needs but wouldnt change anything I lost my eldest son at 19 and someone said she has plenty more they all have a special place in my heart .I agree you know when to stop

#14 butterfly-lee

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

ohmy.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif   As others have said only you will know when you are there. Hope you and the family are well!!

QUOTE (rebekah-mum @ 01/05/2012, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi
I have had 11 with 1 set of twins 8 boys and 3 girls my youngest has special needs but wouldnt change anything I lost my eldest son at 19 and someone said she has plenty more they all have a special place in my heart .I agree you know when to stop

that is terrible. Some people really have no idea, and would seem no heart  sad.gif  sorry to hear that you lost your son.

#15 Immysmummy

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi everyone,

I have 8 children and have just found out I am pregnant with number 9. I  love reading posts from people who have more kids than me!

I'm dreading my GP appointment because I havent heard a "Congratulations" since #3.

Hubby doesnt know yet!! But I'm thinking of a way to break the news, considering we thought our magic number was 8, and our youngest is nearly 3. AND I've just given away and had a big clear out of all the baby stuff!! We dont even have a cot now. Not that I'm complaining, so exciting to buy new stuff.

biggrin.gif

#16 mum-of-10

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Congratulations Immysmummy! That's great news but how frustrating that you got rid of all your baby stuff  . All the best at your dr's visit and I hope your DH is positive and happy when you tell him  happy.gif .

#17 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

We have 8, #7 was a happy surprise (just 4 months after #6!). We are done for many reasons.  Goodluck!

#18 mummy+8

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

We have 8 at the moment and I certainly dont feel done. wink.gif I have 2 girls, 17 and 12 and 6 boys, 15, 10, 6, 4, 2 and 5 months. i would love at least another one if not 2 but age is against me. I am 40 in August and everyone seems to have an opinion as to why it is a bad idea. My last 2 were born 4 and 5 weeks early. I have three boys with hearing loss so this is often put forward as a reason. My partner is not so sure ohmy.gif but well see how things go. Like issysmummy i too have not heard any congratulations since number 3. I think as long as my other children are happy original.gif about it thats all that matters.

#19 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

What happened to you? and what made you go for a 7th child? Please share about
they joys of your brood of 7 or more!

6 was our 'magic number'. We now have 7 children who are all very close in age. Our eldest child was 8 years old when our 7th child was born. We also have twins as well. We have no immediate plans for anymore. Sometimes we consider having an 8th in the distant future, however not something I'd think about doing anytime soon. Kind of enjoying not being pregnant or having a baby in the house. Maybe the idea of more children will continue to fade over time, maybe it will raise it's head again, maybe it wont be able to happen anyhow. At the moment we are happy with how things are.

#20 back*again

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

I have 6 and understand where you're coming from....if DH didn't already have the snip, I'd probably be considering more children.  However, DS3 (child #5) is likely ASD, so that kinda turns me off it a little....life just isn't as easy with him as it was with the others.  Life kinda went crazy when #6 came along.  #6 is now starting to "out grow" him (if that makes sense), so he is becoming the baby again, so he's happier.  I think a #7 could push him over the edge.

#21 PackedToTheRafters

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

My little man was 1 week old and I said to DH I want one more! Nearly 2.5 years later we tried and fell pregnant with number 7, our baby will arrive this August. I don't lnow what is right for you, but it is so hard to ignore such a strong desire. I am so very happy and looking forward to meeting our new daughter, but I know for many reasons this is our last. I have decided to tie my tubes to be sure of it. I know that I wll always be a clucky mummy and would love more children, but sadly my body screaming for me to stop.

If you are healthy and can support another child, the decision is completely yours and DH. Best of luck. original.gif

#22 5peas in my pod

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

Packed to the Rafters Congratulations on your pregnancy - what a lucky lady!  Wishing you all the best for her birth. You are so right....it is sooooooo hard to ignore those feelings original.gif

Your post made my heart smile!

#23 5peas in my pod

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hi again all you lovely mummies of 7 plus children......

My brain has been working overtime and I am dying to know what everyone drives?

I would love to know what you transport your brood in? As this is one of my biggest concerns original.gif -

cheers!

#24 5peas in my pod

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hi again all you lovely mummies of 7 plus children......

My brain has been working overtime and I am dying to know what everyone drives?

I would love to know what you transport your brood in? As this is one of my biggest concerns original.gif -

cheers!

#25 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

We drive a Hiace. Really not too many options for a family of 9. We've had a Transit as well, both are really good reliable cars.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Why I don't breastfeed

The truth was, when it came to feeding my baby son, I didn't want to see milk coming from anywhere but the shops.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.