WWYD? She is FIVE!
Heartbroken mum

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Steiner-wannabe

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

My DD is 5, turning 6 this year and is in a split PP/yr1 class. She is yr 1 but cusp as she is a late June baby.
There are about 7 year ones in the class, and the rest are PPs. The PPs play in their own PP/kindy area at recess and lunch, so the year ones don't socialize with them.

Ok, my issue is my daughter has two other kids from her PP class last year that she knows. They are both girls, and now it has become a third wheel situation where the bossiest girl (not my DD) is not allowing my Dd to play with the other girl... (still keeping up?)
My DD suffers social anxiety among other things, and last year really only played with boys, but all her 'boy' friends are now in another class and she lacks the confidence to go and play with kids from other classes.
She comes home really quiet and withdrawn and says she plays by herself most of the time.

Now, I know sometimes 5 yr olds embellish the truth a bit, but I have really noticed it in her behaviour.
She is really aggressive to her little sister, and wants to continuously rough play with dad (to the point she hurts him and he yells at her)
She lashes out at us all the time and never seems happy. She whinges over everything (I know, common with the age), but I am at a loss as to how to discipline her as I know she is sensitive and overly anxious she is.

I am disillusioned with mainstream school. Bullying seems so rife, and being 'excluded' from play in year 1 seems so extreme! I am really considering alternative education as I am of the opinion bullying is less common, but I don't want to make rash decisions as I know I am being emotional.

Any thoughts? My heart is heavy at the moment, I am torn between feeling for her, but am sick of her bad behaviour at home....

Edited by iKate, 30 April 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#2 Indatree

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

Sounds like an awful situation. Have you spoken to her teacher? That would be my first step.

#3 rolandsmum

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

poor thing!! i homeschool my kids so dont have that problem, and we meet other homeschooling kids that are not bullies, could this be an option for you?

#4 Julie3Girls

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Talk to her teacher.

Seriously.

I know the one year we had a k/1 class at school, the yr1 children in the class were carefully selected. And the teachers kept a close eye on any possible problems.

Friendship groups of 3 can be really hard. my DD2 has been part of a threesome friendship.  The first wasn't too bad - it actually did work pretty well.  The friendship was really tight with all 3 girls, and they worked around the issues. Then they had a 4th come into the group, which fixed up any pairing up issues.
Unfortuantely, the following year, one of the original 3 left, and the 3 left didn't work nearly as well.

Talk to the teacher, she can at least keep an eye on things, and maybe encourage the friendships with the other girls in the class. Discourage the exclusive type of friendships.

#5 Natahs_mum

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

I agree talk to the teacher, and see what they say... They may be able to buddy her up with someone so she can play with them at lunchtime, or the teachers can keep an eye on her just to see how she is at playtime. Is she complaining of having no one to play with? (other then the 3 girls)... having a teacher there during playtime they will be able to tell you.

I am disillusioned with mainstream school. Bullying seems so rife, and being 'excluded' from play in year 1 seems so extreme! I am really considering alternative education as I am of the opinion bullying is less common, but I don't want to make rash decisions as I know I am being emotional.
I don't agree with that, l think it depends on the school and their beliefs and programs on how and what they do in regard to bullying. You would need to work witrh the child(ren) and teachers and sort it out.

We all get bullying of some sort where-ever we go and we need to teach our kids how to deal with and to make it a postive environment for them.

But girls of that age can be rather nasty...

Edited by Natahs_mum, 30 April 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#6 BetteBoop

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

We have had a similar situation with DD in a combined class being excluded from play by a very bossy older kid. We spoke to the teacher but she was fairly dismissive and seemed to think it wasn't an issue. She said the behaviour was very common in kids that age and they would be friends one day but not the next.

So the first part is recognising that it is common and may not mean your child is being bullied but falling out with other kids, which is normal. You will need to talk to her to work out what her role is in the conflict. Is she trying to boss the other kids around and storming off if they won't do as she says?

DH and I have been working with DD on what to do when she's left out or having conflict with friends. We've either talked about it openly (at dinner we talk about our day or I've told her made up stories with dolls pretending one of them is being excluded.

The messages we are giving her are:
[list]

[*]school isn't just about playing. It's about learning and what you do at lunchtime is just one part of it.
[*]kids who leave you out are being mean. It's not nice behaviour and if they do it, say something to them like 'don't be mean' or 'that's not nice'.
[*]If you're being left out of a game, go up to another kid and say "hi, my name is Jessie, can I play with you".
[*]if someone says something that hurts your feelings or if they hit you, you tell the teacher straight away.
[*]if you're ever sad about school, you can always talk to mum or dad.

I think it's about teaching the child the skills they need to manage this stuff, not relying on the school system. Bullying will never go away - I've worked for bullies who are professional middle aged people.

At the end of the day, your child needs to learn how to cope with people who are mean or irrational.

#7 lizzzard

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Oh, you poor thing – my heart goes out to you. It is so heartbreaking to see your baby having a hard time…

I would definitely recommend speaking to the teacher as a first port of call. Bullying is such a hot topic at the moment and I think teachers these days have access to a lot of information about how to address it.

You mentioned she has some social anxiety – is she seeing anyone about it? It might be worthwhile having  a chat with your GP to get a referral for a few sessions with a child psychologist for some tips on how to strengthen her resilience and confidence in social situations. I think you’re a great mum to help your daughter deal with this proactively – a lot of people miss the signs. Good luck J

#8 *mylittleprince*

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'm sorry your daughter is being left out. I think it's important to teach our children coping skills and strategies which build resilience rather than trying to fix the situation for them. There is no guarantee she won't be bullied at another school and you couldn't keep moving her.

I would definately speak to the teacher. If she knows your daughter is lonely she could try pairing her up with another girl in the class. Teachers have a lot of power and influence and should be able to assist with the situation until your daughter feels confident to make more friends.

All the best.

#9 livesarah

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

I really feel for you, OP. I took my baby son to a *playgroup* a couple of years ago and witnessed two 3-year-old girls actively excluding another 3yo girl. I was on the receiving end of this treatment in both primary and high school but I was really shocked it could start so early. My son is now 4 and he has a little friend (girl) who is regularly cared for by our neighbours (her grandparents). She also engages in this kind of behaviour, both to my son (if you don't do X I won't be your friend any more) and to her lovely and more stringently-parented 6yo brother (telling him he is not allowed to play with them, telling my son he is not allowed to be friends with her brother). My son is a bit of a sheep, frankly, so I worry both about him being bullied in school and about him becoming party to the bullying of other children. I try to step in when I witness this type of behaviour, and use these as teachable moments for my son and for his little friend. As a child I was occasionally party to the bullying of kids even lower down the pecking order than I was, and I am ashamed to this day.

My parents spouted the old-fashioned resilience crap, about school being a place to learn and how I needed to develop the skills to deal with nasty people in real life. Given there was a history of school bullying that affected my dad as a child, and his older brother was severely bullied and committed suicide as a teenager, I was always surprised by their attitude. But in those days there wasn't much alternative.

In my adult life, I don't view being the subject of bullying in childhood as being in any way formative in a positive fashion. Saying kids need to develop resilience to deal with nasty people is crap and is tantamount to victim-blaming. Social anxiety is often caused by bullying, not the other way around. Are we really suggesting that kids who are popular and never bullied never develop those skills and somehow suffer in their adult life because of it? I felt as a child as I do now- that school is a prison for some children, who aren't given a choice about who to associate with. The beauty of adult life is that you can choose not to associate with toxic people, for the most part. Certainly you have more say in the matter than you do as a child.

My husband used to take the same line about resilience that I heard from my parents growing up, when I would say I would homeschool our son rather than let him suffer what I did (I developed an eating disorder that greatly affected my school results, and also self-harmed). My husband's views on home-schooling have changed since he started working in a profession where he sees a lot of children who are subjected to bullying, and hears from most parents just how useless the schools are at dealing with the problem (sometimes kids are unlucky enough to have teachers who make it even worse). And every single one of the home-schooled children he has seen in the course of his work are happy, well-adjusted kids who are engaged to a much greater degree with learning than any of the students he sees who attend school (even though much of the time they are being treated for very similar issues).

OP, I hope your daughter is lucky enough to have some teachers like the great ones described here. Bullying in school can be dealt with. But if you find the school doesn't seem to be able to deal with the situation effectively you should definitely consider whatever other options might be available to you. Don't underestimate the long term damage that bullying can do to a little person.

#10 WhyAllTheFeral?

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

No wonder your heart is broken OP.

I also will be homeschooling my kids. Would you consider it too if at all possible?

#11 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

I would invite the other little girl over to establish the friendship more that way.

It's hard. I have half my class tell me they didn't have anyone to play with that day, but when I leave them after eating time, they have all told me who they are going to play with and what they are going to play.  
They come back after recess and lunch telling me they had noone to play with. Usually it happens when they go to the toilet and can't find their friends after.
I have at time called kids away from bossier ones, sent them off to play with the "lonely" child and had a quick chat to the "bossy" child and reminded them that everyone gets to decide on the game/rules etc. That way, the other 2 have organised themselves and the "bossy" child goes to join in. I think (hope!) it's giving all the children tools to work situations like this out on their own later!

#12 robhat

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:15 PM

My DD is in year 1. No sign of bullying in her grade at all. I'm serious. And she's in an ordinary public school. Another nearby school seems to have some problems with girls being mean and narky though. I think it really depends on the demographic you end up with.

For what it's worth, I'm getting all sorts of behaviour issues with my DD too and she frequently seems unhappy. But I've checked with her and her teacher and nothing seems to be wrong. Best thing I have found to do with her is take her for a walk in the evenings. It helps her burn off some restless energy so she sleeps better and has become a really good talking time for us. She tells me stuff during our walks that I can't get out of her at any other time.

I did recently go to a seminar on anxiety and kids run by local psychologists. Number one rule for parents with an anxious kid is 'do not rescue them'.  However that doesn't mean you let them be bullied ruthlessly. Try to teach skills to cope and how to deal with stuff and get the teachers to deal with things as best as possible but you really don't help your kids by trying to get them moved to a different class or school every time they struggle with friends. Unless of course your kid has such problems that a psychologist tells you to do otherwise...

I know your DD is only 5, but she needs to find the confidence to play with the kids in other classes and to make new friends each year when the classes get mixed up. My DD does struggle with these things too but I can't go to school every day and help her, nor can I expect the teacher to hover over her and home schooling her won't fix it either. Best thing I can do is talk about it at home and give her strategies to try and encourage her as best I can. I take her out to social settings outside of school and get her to practice various strategies for join in play there too. She's gotten much better over the last year and is more confident now. As for the mean girl. I hate those sort! There's always one! I'd talk to the teacher about it but on the whole those bossy mean girls are incurable and I find the best thing to do is to teach your daughter that she deserves respect and that anyone, male or female, that doesn't show her respect isn't worth wasting her time on. She probably won't think much of that at this stage, but I believe if we keep telling our girls that, then it'll mean something eventually!

#13 Ella Minnow Pea

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

Thread's two years old guys.

#14 robhat

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:29 PM

Bugger. I didn't look at the OP date! Stupid 'we are discussing' threads!!

#15 WhyAllTheFeral?

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

Lol oh well. I wonder how things are now, two years later...

#16 mamaishere

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

lol just realised how old this is!! deleted my response...

Edited by mamaishere, 19 June 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#17 Wrynn

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

Definitely go and talk with the teacher. She should be able to help and come up with ideas how to solve the conflict. There's also an idea to maybe throw a party for your daughter's schoolmates at your home? Just simple treats, snacks and funny games for kids to have a blast. They would have a chance to get to know each other and maybe your daughter could bond better.

#18 Ella Minnow Pea

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

Thread's still 2 years old

#19 baddmammajamma

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostElla Minnow Pea, on 26 August 2014 - 07:33 PM, said:

Heading toward 2.5.....

#20 Ireckon

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

View PostElla Minnow Pea, on 26 August 2014 - 07:33 PM, said:

Hehehe......too funny :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.