IVF ladies - any frat twins from single embryo transfer?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 libbylu

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I am wondering how often it happens.  I am doing a natural thaw cycle and considering BD during my fertile period before a single embryo transfer.  Am aware of the small risk of fraternal twins if both attempts succeed but really just desperate to increase my chances of a single baby.

#2 libbylu

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

I am not so much 'desperate to avoid a twin pregnancy' as just desperate to become pregnant. I know there is a small chance for me to conceive naturally, and a slightly higher chance to conceive through IVF, but by doing both I increase my chance of a single pregnancy, as well as increasing the chance of having multiples.  I guess I was just wondering if it happened much.  I wouldn't think it would happen very often, but perhaps it does.
Risk is a funny thing - I think it is the 'I did everything I could' sentiment at play.  I am sure there are lots of cases in life where people go a bit further to get what they want, just so they know they tried everything, even if there is a risk of it not turning out as they imagined.
In any case, I would be happy to have twins if that's they way things turn out - it is more DH who is opposed to the idea, but he has more of a let what will be will be philosophy about things anyway, where as I am the over-planner and over-analyser!

#3 meggs1

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

I did double transfers due to age, but in retrospect, having had a scare at 18 weeks, and reading Quixote's thread and others, I think I maybe was too cavalier about the increased risks to twins, particularly prematurity.  

#4 Lorem ipsum

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

****PG mentioned****

I did a natural thaw cycle (5dt) and BD on ovulation day. I fell pg with a singleton.

I completely understand how you feel libbylu. I also think I read something somewhere that being exposed to semen around your fertile time may increase chances of an embryo sticking. Although please don't take this as gospel. Good luck with your decision, and with your cycle

ETA Gahh, sorry I didn't see what section this was in. I assumed it was AC, sorry!

Edited by Lorem ipsum, 30 April 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#5 mad madam mim

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

I know there is a twin mummy on here (or used to be) that had twins, 1 "natural" and 1 IVF.

#6 ~lemontart~

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

when DS 6years was in for day surgery as a baby, I got chatting to parents next to him that had boy girl twins. She told me that they had only transferred one embryo so obviously they had sex during the cycle and got two.
I know its hard to believe but I swear on the life of my children its a true story.

#7 sqawk

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

It certainly can happen but its uncommon.  The risk of it occurring for an individual obviously is most dependent on the reason they are doing IVF. ie it cant happen if the couple is absolutely infertile but could happen if subfertile etc.

Re the sperm increasing the chance of implantation etc.  My understanding is that the idea is to BD the night before transfer.  IF you do this (only) then v unlikely to result in a pregnancy itself as ovulation occurs 3-5days prior to transfer (depending on the type of embyo tranferred etc.)

Also depends on the type of cycle undertaken.  My FET was a medicated FET so no ovulation but obviously could occur if a "natural" FET.

I have heard of one frat twin preg which was a stim cycle.  I guess not all eggs were collected, one or more were ovulated "naturally" and the woman was able to have intercourse soon after EPU - don't think I could have!!

If you look in the published IVF stats the rate of twin pregnancy after single ET is about 2-3%.  Some of these would be split embryos causing id twins and some would be frat twins from intercourse plus IVF in same cycle ( I dont think it specified percent of each)

#8 coolbreeze

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

It happened to my friend.
Transferred one embryo and got boy/girl twins.
She was a bit shocked!
CB
ps it was a frozen emvryo cycle

#9 xfactor

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Have you considered the fact that one embie can split and you could end up with 3 or more babies ?
Quite a few girls on here have identicals from one embie transfer from memory.

#10 handsfull

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

My ID twins are from a FET.  No we didn't BD just in case it threw the "environment" out of whack.....also I had to drive 5 hours to my clinic and stay overnight in a hotel before and afterwards...no opportunity even if we wanted.

We transferred 3 embryos (standard protocol at my clinic at the time) and I'm sure it was my 5 cell that got us over the line.

All comes down to roll of the dice...fingers crossed for you.

Edited by handsfull, 30 April 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#11 Earth-Angel

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

I can think of 3 forum ladies who have had Frat twins from txing only 1 embie over the course of well over 5 years of being around forums. I always tx'd 2 due to my personal circumstances and we always BD 2 days before EPU and the day after just in case any got missed. However I had fully researched triplets from pg, health complications etc and talked to DH about it and we were willing to take the risk.

#12 libbylu

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Thanks ladies for all your perspectives.  
I spoke to DH and he agreed he was happy to take the risk so we went ahead and did it.  There are plenty of people who transfer two embryos and we haven't done this, so I think the risk we are taking is much less, since our chances of a natural conception are pretty low.  
Even though it is not either our preference to have twins (we already have one child and only plan to have one more), we are in a reasonable place to cope with unexpected outcomes given we have a large gap since our first child, lots of family support and a comfortable house, plus we are both very healthy (apart from the infertility).  We would be happy to take whatever we are blessed with after this seemingly never ending journey.  It's becoming harder and harder to imagine that I will ever have another child at all.  Must think positive!

#13 3XY

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

It happened to me, from an unmedicated FET. I wasn't at all aiming for multiples, just did it pretty much unthinkingly after a few failed FET cycles and IVF to conceive our first child. I still find it hard to believe.

If I could go back and actually think it through I wouldn't do it again, but I do know where you're coming from and we did it without as much consideration of what we were doing as you, I suppose thinking/hoping it might somehow increase our chance of pregnancy in any way. I truly didn't think we really would ever conceive naturally, and I completely accept the stupidity of this assumption.

#14 libbylu

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for your reply 3XY. You must have been busy with a 2 year old and two babies.  I bet you were surprised at the scan! Well I guess now I will wait and see.  But now we have done it I am experiencing some trepidation. I suspect we might not do it again!

#15 3XY

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

libbylu - yes, I'll never forget that scan! Yep so busy their first year is mostly a blur. We did expect them to be ID and when they came out looking different did a DNA test and then it really hit me.

#16 libbylu

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (3XY @ 02/05/2012, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
libbylu - yes, I'll never forget that scan! Yep so busy their first year is mostly a blur. We did expect them to be ID and when they came out looking different did a DNA test and then it really hit me.

That's interesting.  I would have thought you could tell in utero if they were identical or not by whether they were sharing the same sac or something (must admit I am a bit ignorant about this).

#17 3XY

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

ID twins can have separate sacs and placentas if the embryo splits early enough.....a little known fact  wink.gif

#18 senshi

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

I just want to wish you the very best of luck Libbylu!!!!

#19 Manicmum

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Yep me! I things turn out well for you. I would not try to have twins, it was not our plan. Good luck!

#20 wallofdodo

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

This is fascinating.

Can I ask a genuine question, how do they know that one is natural and one is IVF?

#21 Mariamsmum

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (wallofdodo @ 11/05/2012, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is fascinating.

Can I ask a genuine question, how do they know that one is natural and one is IVF?

If you only transfer one embryo, then for twins to be IVF then they would have to genetically identical and have the same DNA (the embryo splits, thus having identical twins). If you transfer one embryo and have fraternal twins (different DNA profiles) then one would have to be naturally conceived.

To confirm you would need to do a DNA test.

Edited by Mariamsmum, 13 May 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#22 wallofdodo

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Ah ok, I wondered if it would come down to DNA. Thanks for responding.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.