Socially Immature Teen....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 *~*Kitty*~*

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

What do you do when your teen is the target of bullying from his peers due to his social immaturity?

My DS 14 (15 in Sept) has ALWAYS been the outsider, always the one that is last to be picked for something, regularly the target of bullying.

The problem is, a lot of it is because he's always been the square peg trying to fit in the round hole, he just doesn't fit, and he tries to overcompensate with silly or inappropriate actions/conversations/jokes etc to get kids to like him and it just alienates him more.  He gets good enough grades, it's just socially he struggles.

We've tried to tell him this, a couple of his friends have tried and he just doesn't listen....

I can imagine he would be very lonely and don't know what more I can suggest/try/do to help?

It doesn't matter what we say or suggest, he knows everything and we are wrong.

Any suggestions?  Will he grow out of it?  I'm worried now that he is getting older the physical aspects will get a lot more physical and dangerous.

I don't know, is this a boy thing, am I over analysing, will it all sort itself out, do I need to speak with the Principal - will that make him a bigger target???

So confused  unsure.gif

#2 morgansacre

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

No its not a boy thing, my DD is the same as your described, trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. She doesn't fit either.

My DD is now 22 and has always been this way. being socially inept isn't something you learn and it fixes it (as in DD's case), she just has no idea what so ever how to approach, talk to, or be appropriate at the right time. I found with her it was something she has or doesn't have.

She too was picked on all her school live, even by some of the teachers. I tried everything to help her, in the end she built a wall and wouldn't let anyone outside the family in. Which is really sad, but it protected her somewhat.

We found out at 18, that DD has Aspergers, all the challenges she has had now fit into place. Not that it matters now anyway, as there is nothing out there to help Asperger Adults.

I don't know of anything that will help a socially awkward teen become better. It seems the more they try the worse it gets. Some people just can't read faces, social situations and make appropriate reactions....its just not in them to be able to.

Lynn

#3 *~*Kitty*~*

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for replying Lynn, even if you didn't have a solution, it helped to have a response and validation that it's not in my head or my expectations are too extreme.

#4 fezzy

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Would he talk to someone (a professional) about self esteem issues? He obviously doesn't feel like he's going to be accepted by his peers being himself therefore trying to overcompensate to fit in- maybe his self esteem could do with a bit of work.

My oldest daughter (almost 5) tries to be 'cute' or 'funny' and it's just annoying. I try to explain to her that I find her the cutest and funniest when she is being geniune (and i do find her very cute and funny often!) and most of the time being funny or cute just happens, you can't create that moment. Or sometimes if we have a really funny moment she'll try to recreate it and it just doesn't happen. I hope she doesn't grow into the teen who does this!

#5 claptrap

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Are the school generally supportive, OP?  Rather than going to the principal at first instance, could you discuss your concerns with his teacher(s)?

I'm thinking that if they are also seeing what you are seeing, you may be able to get a connection to a child psychologist, via the school.  Or bypass school and find a good child psych yourself.  I'm not implying that there's something "wrong" with your DS (although as PP mentioned, I did wonder if you've had him assessed, if the social immaturity is of sufficient gravity to mar his everyday living).  However, a good child psych will be able to draw him out, and perhaps give him some tools and coping mechanisms to assist him.

I hope you can find some help for him; I would definitely pursue it.

#6 AMPSyd

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

I had the initial thought as well that it may be well worth your while seeing a developmental paed to assess him.

However, you mention he does have friends - that is great. Is there a sport or hobby that he could spend time with like minded teens.

My DS (aged 11) only has a few friends - mainly girls. He just gravitates towards girls. Of the 13 kids at his last birthday party, 2 were boys. It was really funny. But that is just him. I am carefully choosing a high school for him at the moment that will cater to his sensitive side. Because if he went to the local state high school he will get bullied. I have been told this by a parent there.

#7 Sue Heck

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

O

Edited by Helen Magnus, 03 May 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#8 Fr0g

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

There are groups around, focusing on developing social skills in peer settings. I am referring one of my clients to one next week!  This lad is very socially competent with adults, great conversationalist, but his peer relationships suffer as he misreads the nuances in teen conversation. He suffers because of it, as he tries to be the joker, enter conversations inappropriately etc.

If there is no underlying issue,  I believe social skills can be taught to teens, they just to practice them in a safe setting until they develop naturally.

#9 Mummy Duck

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (~*~Olli~*~ @ 27/04/2012, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you do when your teen is the target of bullying from his peers due to his social immaturity?

My DS 14 (15 in Sept) has ALWAYS been the outsider, always the one that is last to be picked for something, regularly the target of bullying.

The problem is, a lot of it is because he's always been the square peg trying to fit in the round hole, he just doesn't fit, and he tries to overcompensate with silly or inappropriate actions/conversations/jokes etc to get kids to like him and it just alienates him more.  He gets good enough grades, it's just socially he struggles.

We've tried to tell him this, a couple of his friends have tried and he just doesn't listen....

I can imagine he would be very lonely and don't know what more I can suggest/try/do to help?

It doesn't matter what we say or suggest, he knows everything and we are wrong.

Any suggestions?  Will he grow out of it?  I'm worried now that he is getting older the physical aspects will get a lot more physical and dangerous.

I don't know, is this a boy thing, am I over analysing, will it all sort itself out, do I need to speak with the Principal - will that make him a bigger target???

So confused  unsure.gif

We have a similar issue with ss14 and he has whatever age been more immature than his peers. We have recently had to cut all internet/social media/ph access from ss14 because he was not able to use it appropriately and it was making it worse. He also has few friends and they often come and go, he rarely is invited to parties or out of school activities. When ss was younger we would all hear a joke and ss would try to tell it again hoping to get the same reaction that the orginal joke teller got. He didnt understand that you couldnt use the same teabag twice.

Ss will often behave badly to try and impress other kids and be more liked or will follow what other kids are doing to try and bond and develop a stronger friendship. Sadly kids like this end up being the sheep and getting into a lot of trouble.

We try to talk to ss about making decisions and selecting friends. I also try to encourage movies and books that have a message. We are looking at taking him to a child psychiatrist to give him someone to talk to almost as a life mentor.

I will be reading this thread for any other ideas.

#10 *~*Kitty*~*

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Thank you for all the replies ladies, so many of the responses mirror what I'm talking about and describe better than my frazzled self can articulate at the moment.

#11 José

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

i think he probably does need to speak with someone else. He probably doesnt want to acknowledge to you how hard things are for him. He may feel like there is nothing he can do about the situation he is in- and a professional external to the family may help with this.
i might also talk with the school- maybe year advisor, school counsellor so there is a plan for your son. if he is experiencing bullying he may need a safe zone he can go to at any time and may need to identify teachers he feels comfortable with that he can report any bullying to.
One poster mentioned a diagnosis of aspergers at 18 but said 'not that it matters now' There are people who have been diagnosed in adulthood who describe feeling relieved by their diagnosis, it helps them to understand and make sense of the difficulties they have been experiencing. Not saying ur son is asperger's but if there were other indicators it would be worth checking it out.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.