What is the weirdest childs name you have heard?

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#151 Eeyolet

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (redkris @ 28/04/2012, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maverick.
I have to physically restrain myself from asking if any siblings will be called Goose or Ice-man.

I hadn't ever thought of naming a child that but now i have seen it I think I like it, I mentioned it to DH and he actually said he liked it too (a very big deal, that guy is terrible with baby names, says no to EVERYTHING)

#152 Clare L

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

I knew a boy called Rogan...not bad until you met his twin brother called Josh... their parents loved curry!

Annakin - yes, after the child that grew up to become Darth Vader

Achilles  nno2.gif

LeTissier - there was a guy called Matt LeTissier who used to play soccer for Southampton, who I assume was the inspiration. Sadly he wasn't that great a soccer player...

The first time I heard the name Banjo I thought it was odd - then someone explained the significance. What can I say, I grew up in the UK.

Clare
xxx

#153 MadreLoca

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

A FB friend has a friend whose son is named Bamden.

#154 MadreLoca

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Flutter Bug @ 27/04/2012, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I taught a Jenna Taylor.
My initial response to this was "yeh, and.....?" until I said it aloud.  ohmy.gif

#155 Guest_Retro_Mumma_*

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Edited by Retro_Mumma, 28 April 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#156 MadreLoca

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (ChickenortheEgg? @ 28/04/2012, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thijson, I still have no idea how to pronounce the name.
sorry for my mulitple posts. I'm pretty sure this is pronounced TYSON. There's a lady on one of the MCN pages (FB) with a son who has the same name. Wasn't there someone on EB who used that spelling also? (Thijson)

EFS

Edited by MadreLoca, 28 April 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#157 Guest_Retro_Mumma_*

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (fezzy @ 28/04/2012, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to know a Jesus- his parents were mexican or something and it technically should have been pronounced 'Hey-zuess' but he got Jesus.

Kaydi is another strange one I know- not sure if it was made up or not.

I used to go to school with a Seemun- quite unfortunate ethnic name.

Jesus is a really common name in some cultures.

A lot of the time Jesus will be the kids first name but they go by their middle name.

#158 Guest_Retro_Mumma_*

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (ChickenortheEgg? @ 28/04/2012, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thijson, I still have no idea how to pronounce the name.

Tyson im guessing

Edited by Retro_Mumma, 28 April 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#159 suzy-c

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hehe, I wouldn't completely discredit the "working in family law" thing. My sister worked in Legal Aid, and said they had some quite ridiculous names in there. She substituted the real names for others that were similar but just as ridiculous.

Eg (when asked the names of his children) "Let's see... The oldest one is Ford, coz that's when we had the Mazda... and Then there's Holden, coz we had a Toyota by then.... Then the missuz  says, and this is funny... she says "Whaddaya wanna call this one" and I thought she said "Whaddaya want" so I said
"Winnie Blues" and so thats what we called her... huh huh"

#160 Bel Rowley

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (Frau Farbissina @ 27/04/2012, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not the weirdest, but certainly the most unfortunate choice of first name on the parents part: Richard Bottom.

My DH works with a Richard Head, I've seen his business card.

QUOTE (Kenzi_Bubble @ 27/04/2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aurora Borealis

No joke... I love Aurora, but I can't say I would have put it with Borealis

One of my favourite authors as a kid was Paula Danziger, and the main character in one of her books was Aurora Borealis, I always thought it was an awesome name.

QUOTE (Chelara @ 27/04/2012, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Windy, for a little girl, not sure if the mum (Asian descent, living in Asia) meant to call her the Anglo Wendy or if it is a legit name in her parts.

I've met a Windy.

#161 FeralSingleMum

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Irishgirly- Mustafa is a very common Arabic name. The only reason I know this because DH's father is named this. Loosely translated it means Michael. DS1 is named after DH father who is no longer with us. I had a choice between Mustafa and Michael (which is what he called himself). I chose Michael.

#162 Eeyolet

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (irishgirly @ 28/04/2012, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. Mustafa Kunt

QUOTE (DH+Me+2 @ 28/04/2012, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Irishgirly- Mustafa is a very common Arabic name. The only reason I know this because DH's father is named this.

I don't think she was saying that Mustafa was a weird name but rather the last name Kunt. The combination of the 2 when said aloud sound very similar to "Must have a c*nt"

#163 Molondy

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

There is a Soda at my son's kindy. She was named after the Seinfeld episode where George apparently tells Jerry he and Susan might name their child Soda.

#164 Froger

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

okay so he's not a kid anymore, but I find the CNN tv host Wolf Blitzer is an unusual name.

#165 Breeze82

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Emaleigh- Emily

#166 PinkSurvivor

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (MadreLoca @ 28/04/2012, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My initial response to this was "yeh, and.....?" until I said it aloud.  ohmy.gif

Holy crap...I never picked that up laughing2.gif

#167 Fire_fly

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

I have a friend that called their little boy Bear. At first I thought it was a nickname but it's not it his name

#168 Bella_a1

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

My cousin just called their daughter Meadow and a little boy who was born the same bay as my DS was Maverick.

#169 FeralSingleMum

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Eeylot - I didn't even pick that up laughing2.gif that is awful. Sorry Irishgirly!

#170 SusieGreen

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Pheonix.
Admittedly, I think it was supposed to be Phoenix and didn't realise it was spelt wrong  laugh.gif

Blaque and Memphis also come to mind.

#171 ubermum

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Not really weird I guess, but last year I came across a little girl named Sparrow. There is also another little girl called Blessing that attends the same music group.

I had a teacher that taught at my highschool called Mrs. W a n k e
(pronounced w a n k y).

Edited by ubermum, 28 April 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#172 Flutter Bug

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 28/04/2012, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
okay so he's not a kid anymore, but I find the CNN tv host Wolf Blitzer is an unusual name.

I love it. Wolf Blitzer. It's kind of a cool name!

#173 MumtoPNut

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

A relative gave their daughter the middle name 'Pebbles'.

And not 'weird' as such, but a whoopsie with the spelling. The dad had wet the baby's head a little too enthusiastically and put 'Victa' on the birth certificate paperwork rather than 'Victor'.

#174 4kidlets

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (chasely20 @ 28/04/2012, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a friend that called their little boy Bear. At first I thought it was a nickname but it's not it his name

have heard of Wolf and Fox so  I guess one can use Bear - cant say I am a fan of any animal names myself though.

#175 vintage.blue

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Minty

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.