Getting home from the hospital
Taxis and child restraints

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bibendum

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:15 AM

Okay, really dumb question, but...

We don't own a car.  My husband doesn't drive - when we (rarely) need a vehicle, we rent one, and I drive it.  We've been traveling to prenatal appointments via public transport, which involves maybe 20 minutes of walking, plus a couple forms of public transport.

In my head, I've just been assuming we'd get the baby home the same way we get to our prenatal appointments.  I would have been fine doing this after the birth of my son - I was up and about with no problems within a couple hours of his birth and, while I probably would have been a bit slow about it, could have managed a walk of the distance we'd need to do now.  It's only just now occurring to me that, of course, I might well end up in worse shape after this birth, and might not manage well navigating this kind of transport.

So... Just in case...  I was trying to work out how difficult it is to book a taxi with an appropriate infant restraint in the Melbourne area?  I can see some car services that offer infant restraints - but these all see, to require advance booking (and I'm not sure whether we'll know far enough in advance when we'd be discharged - last time around, I was discharged rather suddenly, after having initially been told I would be in the hospital another day).  I can rent an infant seat, but hadn't been planning to, because we don't have a car ourselves - and the rental periods all seem to be quite long.  Is this the way to go, though, if we might need to take a taxi home from the hospital?

#2 SplashingRainbows

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

Dont live in Melbourne so can't tell you about taxis but some other options to consider

Short term hire places aimed at holiday makers allow you to hire for shorter time periods. This place came up when I googled baby capsule hire Melbourne http://www.justtakethekids.com.au/index.ph...CFcgopAod41eHcA
There were a few more like this

Perhaps a chauffeured hire car company? We've used this type of service to get to/from airports when traveling. Might be worth ringing some of them as a backup? Probably more expensive than a taxi but might be another option for you to consider.

Hopefully you have a great birth and feel up to walking with your beautiful new baby.

#3 Bibendum

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

Thanks for this - I had thought of a chauffeured car hire place, but hadn't been sure how far in advance you'd need to arrange it (I've used them for airport trips a couple of times before, but was always able to book well in advance, and was sure when I'd need a car - I wasn't certain if they were available on less predictable notice) - something to call around about...

But yeah: it's only now, hitting the third trimester, that I've suddenly thought: what if I'm more uncomfortable walking than I was last time around?!  I'm hoping it's not too different, but am feeling a bit slack not being more prepared... ;-)

#4 Fossy

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

Could you get a friend or family member who has a carseat to pick you up ?

Or do you have a friend with a toddler who has a capsule you can borrow?

#5 FeralSchnitzel

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

If you are  unable to walk, could your husband walk the baby home and take public transport while you cattch a taxi?

Edited by Schnitzelvonkrumb, 27 April 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#6 Etcetera

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

If you have a family member or friend that can pick you up, hire a capsule. For 6 months it costs about $80.

#7 I'veGotTheBook

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you? Most taxi companies you can call on the day and request in advance that day. Same with service cars. And if you were to hire a car maybe investigate share hire/short term hire as in a couple of hours. There's quite a few companies that do that. Just depends on your area. original.gif

#8 tenar

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'd call a couple of big taxi companies and find out if you can request a taxi with a baby seat in it and how far in advance you need to do this.

#9 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

We didn't have a car when we had DD1 and then DD2. My mum picked us up from hospital. Do you have anyone you can ask?

And I don't know about Melbourne but in Brisbane it's very hard to get a taxi with a carseat. It is not a requirement to have children restrained in taxis and many drivers just don't bother with carseats.

Also I don't like the chances of getting a taxi with a capsule, they might have a carseat but would it be reversed? And there is the risk the taxi just won't show up.

I think your best option is you get a taxi home and DH takes the baby. And don't forget you will have your bags with you as well. Or you could get a taxi to where you catch public transport from and DH walks with the baby.

#10 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

I was going to suggest the chauffeured car option as well. I have used one for airport transfers and found them very accommodating.  You could call them and explain that you might not know your discharge time until a few hours before and see if they can help.

I have heard that some limo companies also offer a service for the trip home from hospital, this would probably be more expensive though.

Edited by bottle~rocket, 27 April 2012 - 07:30 AM.

#11 bubzillaiscoming

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

In Melbourne you can't hire a taxi with any kind of child restraint in it. They won't take the responsibility. You can provide your own capsule if you want. There is legislation that states in a taxi children do not have to be restrained the way the would in a regular car (I think it is the same with buses - or any kind of public transport).
We had a similar issue (although we both drive) when we were heading to the airport for a holiday. We ended up taking the Baby Bjorn and getting DH to wear a seat belt and THEN putting on the baby bjorn rather than putting the seatbelt around the 2 of them as tthis would obviously be disasterous if there was an accident.

I wasn't 100% comfortable with it, but we didn't really have any other options on the day.

Good luck original.gif

PS Your hospital might also be able to recommend some kind of driving service as well?

#12 Ice Queen

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I might be shot down in flames for this.....but i always just sit in the backseat with my infant and hold him with a seatbelt on.  Understand many might not be comfortable with this but i have done it numerous times in a taxi and i just hold him really tight.  Just due to circumstances lately (we are tooing and froing between 2 capital cities because of hubbys work) it has been my only option for getting to and from airport at ungodly hours of the morning when i cant ask a friend to drive us and i cant take a capsule because i dont want to take the capsule on the plane with me.  Not ideal but it is legal in SA and WA.
Www.hireforbaby.com.au do short term hire.

#13 frogcal

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

As PP have said you can travel in a Taxi in Vic without a child seat, up to you whether you want to take the risk.
It would depend on the weather of course and how you feel if public transport is going to be an option, even if you taxi the last bit so you don't have to walk.

#14 Bibendum

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Thanks everyone for replying.

Unfortunately we don't have anyone obvious to ask: family are all overseas, and my friends in Melbourne all seem to have two-seater cars...

QUOTE (bubzillaiscoming @ 27/04/2012, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Melbourne you can't hire a taxi with any kind of child restraint in it. They won't take the responsibility. You can provide your own capsule if you want. There is legislation that states in a taxi children do not have to be restrained the way the would in a regular car (I think it is the same with buses - or any kind of public transport).

PS Your hospital might also be able to recommend some kind of driving service as well?

This had been my impression from taking taxis with my son (which I didn't have to do, however, until he was around three years old) - that taxis would let you put a seat of your own in (and I think may be required to have the proper bolts to make this possible), but that they wouldn't provide anything, or assist you to install anything, so you'd have to know what you were doing.  It's been some time since I've had to install a capsule (my son is eight...), so I'm not sure how confident I feel putting one in a random taxi in the fog immediately after birth...

QUOTE (Princess.cranky.pants @ 27/04/2012, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think your best option is you get a taxi home and DH takes the baby. And don't forget you will have your bags with you as well. Or you could get a taxi to where you catch public transport from and DH walks with the baby.

I've been leaning toward this I think - was also thinking about the bag issue, and how we'd get those home.  It's not a problem if I'm as mobile as last time: I'll just carry the baby in a sling, and husband will drag the bags...  It's only if I'm having more problems moving around...  I don't have any sense of how likely this is to be a problem - I just remember everyone being really weirded out last time, that I was basically walking everywhere like normal after the birth.  Even the midwives in the hospital seemed to think I was strange...  

But I'll check the hire car services and see how flexible they're able to be with times and dates - certainly some of them do offer to provide fitted baby restraints, so I know it's possible.  I'm just worried I need to know in advance exactly when I'll be discharged...

ETA: I realised I'm making it sound like I had the world's most wonderful recovery from the birth last time: that's not true at all!  Things felt horrible "down there" for a good six weeks after the birth, and I was pretty terrified that it would never feel like "me" again.  It's just that walking per se didn't cause any problems - it was sitting and lying down that was uncomfortable... (!!)

Edited by Bibendum, 27 April 2012 - 06:03 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.