Questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 veggiepatchfamily

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hello Ladies,
I am planning a home birth for my little baby boy due in June, I have been very hesitantly planning this as I had severe pre-eclampsia last pregnancy, was medicated by 29 weeks and my DS1 was also growth restricted. Whilst I feel everything will be well this time, and I am currently feeling good with no issues, I am being very realistic to the possibility that things could change and I may not get my home birth I so desire.
Anyway- my questions I would like to know from all you lovely home birthing mothers are.

If you were planning/ or had a water birth
1- Did your hot water service have enough in it?
I am quite concerned that we will go to the effort of blowing up a pool only to not have enough water to fill it. I can see myself showering etc before needing full water immersion and I doubt our hot water service is sufficient.
Was this a problem for anyone else? How did you get around it?

2- If you laboured quickly (which I am hoping to do- first was 4 hours) did you have enough time to set up pool?

3- Where did you birth?
If I use the pool there is only one room it will fit in really. Otherwise it would be lounge room or bedroom.

Then moving on to a different topic.
I would like to leave the cord attached until after the birth of the placenta.

4- Did you have a lotus birth, what did you feel your reasons were. How long did it take for placenta to detach?

I think I would be comfortable to birth placenta and then ask baby permission to cut the cord (by DH), how does that sound?

Thanks so much.  original.gif

#2 No One

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

I am quite concerned that we will go to the effort of blowing up a pool only to not have enough water to fill it. I can see myself showering etc before needing full water immersion and I doubt our hot water service is sufficient.
Was this a problem for anyone else? How did you get around it?

We have instant hot water, so plenty....but i have heard of other people boiling water on the stove/in kettles to boost their supplies.  I'm pretty sure i've heard of people hiring/borrowing big urns to keep hot water in too?

2- If you laboured quickly (which I am hoping to do- first was 4 hours) did you have enough time to set up pool?
First homebirth, no.  Second homebirth, yes.  My [active] labours have been 4 hours, 5.5 hours, 9 hours, 1.5 hours, 1 hour, and 17 minutes.

My first homebirth i was in prelabour all day, starting and stopping.  I knew something was going on, but didnt' think i'd have him in any hurry.  It wasn't until 1 hour before he was born that it started getting constant.  When DS4 was born, the pool was blown up, but not a drop of water in it, and my midwife arrived just as DS was crowning!

second homebirth, i'd had mild, far apart contractions (but regular), for a couple of hours, and my midwife insisted on coming in straight away, due to what happened with DS4.  I think i was in the pool for around 2 hours before DD2 was born.  Although my labour was officially recorded at 17 minutes, i have no real idea how long it went for.  Honestly, it felt like i didn't really labour at all.  The contractions were still 10 minutes or so apart up until i started pushing.  And up until i started pushing, i honestly thought i would be in labour for the next several hours.  

3- Where did you birth?
If I use the pool there is only one room it will fit in really. Otherwise it would be lounge room or bedroom.

Both times i birthed in our sitting room.  We have a very small house, and the only room really big enough for a pool is the sitting room.  And possibly the kitchen.  DS4 was born on my armchair biggrin.gif  Thank goodness someone suggested getting a tarp for me to sit on biggrin.gif  DD2 was born in the pool.

I didnt' have a lotus birth, so i won't comment on the last question original.gif  Good luck though!

#3 new~mum~reenie

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

1 - Instant hot water - so just made sure there was plenty of Gas available. If you get a proper birth pool which is inflated on base an sides, it holds the heat quite well (so you can part fill while system heats up again?)
We had the pool set up and attachments on the kitchen spot etc from 38 weeks so that we didn't have to do that on the night....

2 - when labour suddenly hit hard (had an easy per-labour, then a battering ram dropped onto my cervix!!!) DH called the MW then went straight off to fill the pool. It was deep enough to get in within 15-20 min.

3 - we set the pool up in what is now DS's play room - near the kitchen for tap access and still out of the way.. Will be using the same space this time. If DS keeps mucking around with pool then we will store it (already inflated) in another bedroom till required.

ETA: no lotus birth here - the cord was quite short and it was difficult to get him to my chest - was clamped/cut when pulsing stopped so I could stand up to get out of pool.

Also - draining the pool, DH bought large hose to gravity feed water it into garden original.gif

Edited by new~mum~reenie, 26 April 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#4 Isis

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Yes, our hot water lasted for the pool filling, very easily. But I didn't use the shower at all during my labour. I spent the time pottering around and vocalising and rocking hips/lunging to work the contractions through.

If I had to set it up on the day, no, it wouldn't have been done or used. My labours are quick too. We blew it up in the spot it stayed for the birth, when I was about 39 weeks. That gave us the chance to make sure we liked the spot, and the kids the chance to jump in it, get excited over it, then lose interest wink.gif

3- Where did you birth?

In the family room. Our kitchen/family room/dining area are all one big open plan, tiled space. So the pool was within easy reach of the kitchen taps, within easy reach of the lounges, had a fan above me, on tiles (with sheets, towels under for extra softness).

4- Did you have a lotus birth, what did you feel your reasons were. How long did it take for placenta to detach?

I didn't lotus birth (leaving cord/placenta in situ until it detaches from baby in 2-5 days). I did have a purely physiological third stage though, where the placenta came about 25 mins after the birth, the cord wasn't cut until about 40 mins after the birth, when placenta was well and truly out.

Have fun with your planning original.gif

#5 mumof2babies

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yes, but because we filled it up too quickly & too far in advance for my 2nd HB it got really cold (my 1st HB was fast, and pool almost didn't fill up in time, so 2nd time round DH made sure it was filled as soon as I had contractions). 2nd HB baby was also a 36 weeker, so she needed to be kept warm. In the end my midwife filled up our tiny little kettle and kept topping it up with water (This was the middle of winter!).

This time my midwife (a different one to my previous one) said that she could bring along a water immersable heater - Not really sure what that means, whether you can stay in pool with heater on, or you put the heater in to heat it up then jump in. Anyway sounds like a great idea as I'm due again in WINTER (Sigh- i hate cold).

I almost didn't have time to set up pool in first HB. Those pools take ages to blow up and to fill. My 2nd HB, i didn't even know i was in real labour until 1 hour prior to birth, but I did have consistent 'braxton hicks' for at least 12 hours prior, and my DH had the foresight (even though i was only 36 weeks) to blow up and fill the pool.

3- Where did you birth?
In lounge room, the only room big enough in my unit to fit in the pool.

No Lotus birth. With my 2nd HB placenta took almost an hour to detach, which seemed like forever.

#6 meemee75

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

With my 1st birth-NO..lol. I laboured in the shower and it ran out. My support people were boiling kettles and putting pots of water on the stove to fill the pool ohmy.gif

2nd birth- Yes..I had a TENS machine on instead of having a shower...I learned my lesson

I had my pool set up from 38-39 weeks so it was all ready to go.. Filling it took about 1 hr

3- Where did you birth?

I birthed in the the separate lounge/dining  areas both times . They were both cut off from the action in the house ( usually kitchen /other lounge)and were quiet and dark

Then moving on to a different topic.
I would like to leave the cord attached until after the birth of the placenta.

I didn't have a Lotus birth with either by choice.
My placenta took about 1 1/2 hours to come out 1st time and about 1 hr second time. The cord was cut both times after the placenta was out.

Edited by meemee75, 28 April 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#7 deejie

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

I used the shower a little bit and it held up fine, but I must admit I have no idea if it had enough for the birth pool. I was a bit further along than I gave myself credit for and didn't have time to make the pool! original.gif

We had the pool inflated and ready to go, but not full. By the time I felt like getting in to the pool my waters had broken and I had to push straight away. So much for a beautiful water birth, we made do with a plastic tarp from Bunnings wink.gif So my advice would be to have it ready before you think you need it! I know the pool we had here had a hose in and a hose out, so you can siphon off cool water and put hot water in to keep the temp good for whenever you are ready (hindsight is a wonderful thing!)

Where did you birth?

Main bedroom. Our main bedroom is upstairs, rest of house downstairs, so it made a nice private sanctuary. Plus I had access to the shower in the ensuite.

No lotus birth (that would have grossed DH out), but a physiological third stage. DS2's placenta was birthed maybe 4-5 minutes after he was born. It just kind of slipped out! The cord was not cut until the placenta was out.

#8 veggiepatchfamily

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

Thank you SO much for you relies ladies.
You have given me stuff to think about.
DH said that we can use our small hot water service from the camper van which will continually suck up the water and then put it back into the pool at the correct temp (also heats from cold) so we can try and use that.
I had forgotten my plan to use tens. I must pinch one from work before I leave!
I have never used tens before, and find it a bit funny that you cant practice with it until 36-37 weeks yet you can give birth any time from 37 weeks.
Seeing midwife this morning and will ask her about the logistics of some things like, what I give birth on if not in a pool.
Do we need to buy a tarp, or shower curtain, do we need old towels etc etc.
Can anyone suggest things like this to me that I might need?
Also things they found helpful.
I guess the beauty of being at home is you don't need to pack a labour bag, however I still think its important to make sure I have my correct supplies at home, like sports drinks and lollies.

I would love suggestions from your birth, such as, afterwards I wish we had of..... or, I didn't think about it but we needed.....

Thanks.

#9 Isis

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

Ask your friends/family if they have any old sheets or towels or blankets that they have loitering in their linen cupboard. My MIL bought over a whole pile of old sheets that we used under the pool, on the floor between pool and lounge, on the lounge over the drop sheet.

The drop sheet (the painting type) were bought from Bunnings for about $2 each or something. Perfect for making a waterproof layer on a bed, or lounge.

My FIL gave us a hand pump for emptying out the pool. I'm pretty sure he bought it from a camping shop. Saves doing the suck on the hose thing original.gif

Have a birth kit in an easy to access spot. With towels, cloth nappies, any other birth stuff (heat packs, oils, lip balm, cord ties) and after birth stuff (pads, fresh undies, wraps for baby, clothes for you both). That way when someone asks you where X is, you can say, check the box.

My only thing I would change is to have proper pads in the house. I totally forgot about pads and had to use a cloth nappy for a couple of hours, until my MIL bought some el-cheapo maternity pads in for me laughing2.gif

If you have someone looking for something to do, get them to take photos or video footage. I have pics and footage of our home birth, but I wish I had more!

#10 new~mum~reenie

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Seeing midwife this morning and will ask her about the logistics of some things like, what I give birth on if not in a pool.
Do we need to buy a tarp, or shower curtain, do we need old towels etc etc.
* We bought drop-sheets from Bunnings for only $2-3 dollars each.
* I bought a whole rubbish bag of faded/unmatched sheets and doona covers from an Op-Shop for $8. (These came in super handy. I washed them all, and they were used for covering couch with drop sheet underneath, putting under pool so it wasnt on tiles, a fitted double sheet was put over the pool so visitors didnt see it till hubby washed it out the next day, used a messy one to wrap up all the stuff to go to the tip etc)
* Did stock up on towels - agree with Isis, just ask friends and rellies if they have any old towels you can have...

Can anyone suggest things like this to me that I might need? Also things they found helpful.
I was given a list of things to consider/supply...

2 Flannels (face wahsers
2 Old bed sheets
8 old towels
1 large plastic sheet
4 plastic super market bags
1 x 2 ltr container for placenta
hot water bottle
portable light for checking perinium (100w globe)
Candles (in case the power fails!!)

Mum:
Undies
Comfy t-shirt / PJ's
Maternity pads
approx 5 super pads pre moistened with some waer and kept in freezer
Thermometer
Tissues
Natural oil for massage
Energy Drinks
Food

Baby:
clothes - Jumpsuit, singlet hat etc
Nappies
wipes
6-8 baby wraps (bunny rugs, old nappies etc)
Hat

EXTRAS:
food (keep pantry well stocked and a couple of meals ready in the freezer)
Mirror (for mum to view Birth)
Music
Sieve
Straws
Supports: Birth ball, bean bags, extra pillows, birth pool etc.

If you water birth - you will need a sieve! and a bucket to put any *ahem* mess into. this was what went to the tip wrapped up in a sheet. wink.gif

I guess the beauty of being at home is you don't need to pack a labour bag, however I still think its important to make sure I have my correct supplies at home, like sports drinks and lollies.
I had everything ready for the birth in a large laundry basket next to the pool. And a beg next to it with all my things, and baby clothes. I put them in a bag in case of transfer, but more so that DH would know where to find everything and he didn't have to hunt for that *particular pair of socks* I wanted etc

#11 tmd73

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

I never had a birth pool, though wouldn't have minded one.  I ended up labouring in the shower for about 2 hrs.  Towards the end, I was turning the shower off in between contractions (which wasn't long  lol) because I thought I'd run out of hot water.  In the end, the water started to cool on the second last contraction before transition hit.  Good timing  original.gif

I had a brand new shower curtain from when we moved here (we now have glass shower doors so didn't need it).  It's one of the soft ones and we used that on the bed with some old towels over it for after I had the baby.  He was born in the ensuite.  DH had placed a heap of old towels on the floor and I was on my knees, leaning over the closed toilet lid.  I always give birth on my knees leaning forward, so it worked perfectly for us.  I had planned on throwing the towels out but I ended up just putting any large clots down the toilet and washed them.

We didn't have much on hand at all.  Like Isis, I almost totally forgot about buying pads.  I use a Diva cup so haven't had to buy anything like that for 5 years (with the exception of when I had the last 2 babies).  I remember a few weeks before he was born though, thankfully.

I had on hand:
baby wipes
washers  (both for cleaning up while pushing)
old towels making a path to the bed (which wasn't far)
shower curtain and towels on the bed
soft towels to wrap baby up in after birth
bowel for the placenta
pads
undies
cord tie
steralised scissors (placenta came out about 20 mins after baby was born and it was cut about 1 hr after birth)
nappies and baby clothes for later (did skin to skin for quite a while)
water bottle for me to drink from

I did have music which I never used (2.5 hr labour)
Also affirmations written down which I never used - I kept telling myself all through labour "open, down and out"  lol.  That was what needed to happen for the baby to be born and I kept telling him that  biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.