Due in Jan, 2013 Chat Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

#26 spitzmum

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

AFC - yep I have a scan booked in for 7 wks original.gif  And after katem666's post, I've booked in with an OB at the 8 wk mark so we don't miss out.

As for telling people - I'll probably tell me parents soon since they were an excellent support during our m/c (and hopefully we don't need that sort of support this time around, fingers crossed) - but I have a feeling we'll wait as long as possible (probably when I start to show) for everyone else.  

Are people planning to do a FB announcement?  Reading those really hurt as a long-time TTCer so I'm thinking I won't say anything online.

#27 Peppymum

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Congrats to the newest bfp's
I rang and booked my ob today because he is super popular and I know he takes on less patients around Xmas/ny so he's not too busy! So very lucky to get in. He likes to do a 10 week scan so can't wait until then!
Imiss buttercup - i've already told my mum, sister and mums group, couldn't help myself! It's nice having their support in these early weeks.
Spitzmum - I know what you mean about fb announcements. I found that hard when TTC ds 1. I prob will do an announcement but not with a photo of the scan. Somehow that always seemed worse?
Aprilfoolschild - so this was your last cycle before trying donor eggs? Wow!
That's as far back as I have time for to reply to  unsure.gif
AFM - I have that full on, absolute exhaustion happening. I could sleep anywhere anytime. Hard when running around after ds 12 months old  ohmy.gif Also everything smells super strong and I can't go near raw meat or my compost bin lol!
Rest up ladies  biggrin.gif

#28 AprilFoolsChild

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Peppymum- Yep and TBH we didn't have even the remotest expectation for it to work this month/cycle.

Miss Buttercup- Haven't told anyone yet. We're unsure who to tell & when. Am sure it's going to be a huge shock to alot of people especially to my parents. Virtually noone knew we were doing IVF or desparately TTC. Probably assumed we chose to be childless!!
DH's parents/family  know about IVF since we had to supply a VERY valid reason for my inability to attend the parents 50th wedding anniversary o/s last year (was cycling). All DH family is o/s. We had last been back 12-13 years ago. They were fine since all doctors.
My family is all interstate & only brother knows as DH felt guilty having to tell his family & encouraged it. (DH had insisted on telling noone)

#29 Rockyboyray

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

[/size]April Fool’s Child, I know I should try and thinkpositively, and you are right, you just take one step at a time, just have tokeep reminding myself of that!  Congrats toyou BTW

Shirley Temple, is this your first baby?  I have two children already (8 and nearly10.  I can’t wait for the next 3 monthsto pass, that’s for sure.  I’m seeing mydoc this Friday and I know she’ll definitely recommend I go for a dating scan,so I will.  Besides, it will give us an opportunityto see the baby’s heartbeat, which always give me some relief!  Best wishes to you!

Lovemylife, you are right, I need to enjoy the pregnancy asmuch as possible, and will certainly try my best!  It’ s just that I’m nearly 40 and havingalready had a MC, I know that a full term, healthy baby is just that little bitmore challenging.  That said, I knowheaps of people my age, and older, who have had perfect healthy babies, sofingers crossed again.  I hope you andyour peanut do well, and good for you make the decisions that you have.  Each to their own I say!

As for symptoms, the only ones I’m experiencing aretiredness from about lunch time-ish, but it’s not intolerable (yet!) and I’vebeen getting headaches most mornings, both which I’ve experienced in perviouspregnancies.  My boobs aren’t sore, likeprevious pregnancies, but I’m only 5 weeks, so plenty of time yet!  Oh, and like Spitzmum, I’ve been gettingfluttering very low down in my womb too. What is that?  Just tissue andmuscle and stuff moving??

Hope you ladies all had a good weekend and sending EVERYONEhealthy, happy baby dust! xx

[size="3"]

#30 spitzmum

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Morning everyone original.gif

Rockyboyray - I think I was told once that the weird fluttering and stretchy feelings are the hormones starting to prepare your womb for the coming changes.  Not sure if this is true or not!

Told my mum over the phone this morning - not sure she understood me as she's got the flu and is severely jet lagged after coming home from their annual trip to France, but she sounded happy at the news (if a bit delirious from whatever drugs she is on!)

Anyone got the heartburn yet?  I seem to be getting it after every meal, regardless of whether it's a biscuit, a medium snack or a larger meal like dinner.

#31 *ShirleyTemple*

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Good Morning Everyone!

AFC - As far as I understand with gender swaying, it works on the premise that male sperm are faster swimmers but die quicker, where as female sperm last longer. So if you want a boy, try to go as close to O as possible (so the boys get there first), whereas for girls, try a day or two before. But there is also an element of chance, so it doesn't always work out! Can't believe how crap your first GP was, glad you got a 2nd opinion!!

LoT - smells aren't too bad yet, but the tiredness is really kicking in!

Zarlias - I know how you feel, I hate getting told off, but surely it will be once and then they have to face you are pregnant and move on!

LovemyLife - Nice of your GP to be happy with your tests! Mine was with my first, but this one made me do a blood test, then come back for the rest of the tests, such a faff! Really hoping your placenta is in a good position this time, and you can have the VBAC you want! It would be rare to have 2 previa's in a row? i completely understand your desire to want a VBAC, and I'm sure the midwives will support that (just maybe not the Ob's!)

spitzmum -Congratulations! It has been a very tough journey for you and I'm so glad you got your BFP! Nice strong result! 3 Capricorns? interesting household!! I am planning to do a FB announcement around 12 weeks, only as we have moved interstate (for the 2nd time) and its our main communication method with family and friends back home. I do get a little bit of heartburn, hoping its not going to stick around, it was one of the symptoms i missed out on the last time around!

katem666 - Congratulations! Hopefully you can get into an OB. Good news, is that you are due at the beginning on the month, so they probably haven't taken a lot of bookings for January yet, but hoping they aren't all planning holidays! Agree with the out of pocket expenses, scary stuff! Is this your first bub?

MissButtercup - Congratulations! Glad it was a shorter TTC journey for you this time around! We have told close family (parents/siblings) and my best friend, so they are there for us in case it all goes wrong, will probably make the news public around 12 weeks?

peppymum - The tiredness is just compunded when you have a toddler! I know I was tired the first time around, but it was much easier to lay on the couch then!!

Rockyboy - Its my 2nd, my DS is 18mo. I'm just nervous and don't want to be too confident and jinx myself!! I was super confident with DS, and then had a bleed at 6wks and completely freaked. It was fine, obviously, but it scared me. I just want this baby soooo much! I'm hoping I will get to do a dating scan as well, I will feel loads better to see a heartbeat.

AFM - I got my official test results back yesterday! HcG 107 at 3wks6days. Am really not happy with the GP I am going to. We've just moved to NT from WA so it was my first experience with the local clinic. First time they made me do the blood test to confirm the pregnancy (last time round I did all the tests at once), and when I went back yesterday I have to do all the standard tests and go back in 1-2 weeks for the results and a referral to the OB!!! Talk about taking their sweet time! As I'm going private this time, I guess I'm just a bit impatient to get booked in - I will give the Ob's office a call today and talk to them about it.

I would also encourage everyone to book in with their Ob if going private ASAP. They usually have a quota for each month. We should all be lucky so far, as we are all due early in the month, so they shouldn't fill up just yet, but they may not be taking a lot of clients due to the time of year.

We have told our close friends and family, who were quite stunned and happy for us.

Ok better go, DS is making an artwork with his morning tea.

Edited by *ShirleyTemple*, 01 May 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#32 spitzmum

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

How much are people putting aside for expenses (for those who are going private)?  I haven't really started researching costs yet - I'm sure there have to be some threads on EB. I'd better start looking and preparing a budget

I figure after IVF at $7k a pop, the pregnancy costs shouldn't scare us too much laugh.gif

#33 *ShirleyTemple*

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Spitzmum - I think it depends on the Ob and whether you have private health insurance or not. I know back in Perth it was around $2-$3k for a management fee, plus between $100-$200 per appt, plus scans (up to $300) etc. You get a rebate form medicare (not much) for some of the appts and scans. Then the hospital is covered by insurance, you just pay your gap/excess?
I'm a bit nervous about being up here in NT, as the only Dr's are at the one private hospital and they work together, so really they could charge whatever they like! Everything is quite a bit more expensive up here! Hoping its not too far outside the norm!

#34 AprilFoolsChild

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Morning Girls,

Just a quick one...

Spitzmum- I am wondering this too. If anyone can advise please do.
I did a rough calculation last night after my ob's details arrived in the post and think we'll be OOP about $4500 for him if no complications. But then there's scans, blood tests, hospital (depending on your fund cover), antenatal classes, and once admitted for the birth - any pathology & pharmacy bills incurred & gaps for the anaesthetist / assistant / paediatrician if end up with csection.

Wow.

Have absolutely no idea what these are worth but sure don't want to fall short on the day.
We scrimped it for our last FET, so feeling a little depleted right now.

#35 spitzmum

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

I've just started a spreadsheet and will go some research from the EB forums, the medicare rebate schedule and whatever else I can find.  I'll post the results tomorrow original.gif

(Yay - my first night off in a week, I've been marking 1200 exam papers for my uni students since Friday - I'm a little bug-eyed!)

#36 LoveMyLife

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Well, congrats to Spitzmum, Katem666, and Miss Buttercup. Its nice to see this group filling up nicely!

Well, Im not sure about the cost of a private OB, but im sure if you ask around in other groups, there will be people willing to share their costs.
Im going public, so cant really help with any of that  wink.gif

So, Im seriously bloaty, or fat, or something. I feel huge. My poor DH has to put up with me turning sideways, and asking 'am i bigger' nearly everytime I see him.
Anyway, such a diplomat (or well trained), hes just been saying 'your imagining it, you cant be showing already', until today, where he said... 'yeah you are a bit bigger now'.
So now Im kinda freaking out, thinking im definitely having twins, lol lol!

And to all the gender swayers out there....im predicting a pink one for me. All the men in my husbands generation have only produced girls. Its pretty much a dead cert for us.

#37 spitzmum

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm still researching - but I found this on the NIB website which was quite helpful - a week by week guide to the sorts of costs that can be incurred original.gif

http://www.nib.com.au/home/Pages/The_costs...g_a_baby.aspx#1

#38 ~buzz~

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Congratulations to everyone on BFP

got my BFP on Friday, had doctors appt and bloods done on Monday very excited and scared at the same time EDD 4 January

#39 spitzmum

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

welcome buzz original.gif  

I know what you mea about being scared and excited original.gif

Anyone planning to go the Baby Expo in Sydney in a few weeks time?  OH is worried about being seen by someone we know while we're there laugh.gif  I figure there will be thousands of people and the chances are pretty slim.

#40 Zarlias

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hello All and welcome and grats to the newbies  original.gif

I too am planning on going public, so am of no help regarding the costs of private. From my research, if anything goes wrong they send you to the public hospital here anyways, as they are set-up to manage high risk pregnancy more so than the smaller private ones. I did consider at one stage going private in a public hospital, but honestly can't see the value in it, especially after hearing stories of OBs going away, not getting there in time, or overbooking themselves and sending a proxy (all of which would p*ss me off had I paid 1000s for their services)

I hope we're all feeling well enough. I apologise in advance that it is highly unlikely that I'll ever be one of these lovely people who sit and do personals - unfortunately my brain just doesn't work that way - it runs in circles and gets way ahead of me.

It's very exciting to see so many people starting to show up in this DIG. In my last, I was due at the end of the month, so it was well and truly in full swing by the time I even knew what EB or a DIG were.

Is there anyone here who truly tried to swing their baby's gender? I have looked at it, as I am very confused as to how we caught the egg this month (Only BD twice, one 4 days before and one 4 days after O, assuming I had a 28 day cycle, which I can't assume as I haven't ever taken any notice of it). I think that DH must have phenomenal little tadpoles, as we have now fallen in the first month of trying twice. Let's just hope that we got it right this time.

I think that symptoms have started to kick in - namely a constant, slight, underlying nausea. Odd, as it didn't happen til week 7 last time, and it was terrible (part of the molar pregnancy apparently). I hope this time isn't so bad, but TBH, I would take feeling sick over the alternatives. Thinking I might go to Dr next week and ask for a scan in week 7/8. By then, if there's going to be a heartbeat, it should be there.

OK, mammoth post. Take care all, and uterine duct tape all round  biggrin.gif

Edited because I somehow hit "post" too early

Edited by Zarlias, 02 May 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#41 spitzmum

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Ok at best guess, I think it will be about $6k all up in Sydney with a doula.  I suppose I'm just extra paranoid after a m/c and long term infertility,plus the public hospital that we'd be fed into doesn't have the best maternity reputation sad.gif  

No gender swaying here original.gif  (because we used IVF)

I did give in to curiousity and check out some baby furniture websites during lunch today  cool.gif  Way to early to think about that sort of stuff but I couldn't help myself wink.gif  Anyone else done something similar?

For those who are having their 1st (like hubs and I) - does anyone have any baby stuff yet?  2 yrs ago I bought a beautiful baby comb set, a onesie and a plaster handprint Christmas ornament kit while on holidays overseas - they've been sitting there waiting very patiently for bub original.gif

#42 Zarlias

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

I haven't bought anything except for a copy of "What To Expect" that I found for $14.99 at Aldi a couple months ago.

I do find myself idly flicking through EBay to see what's around and how much it'll cost, but I pretend that I don't.

I'm thinking that maybe if we get to the halfway mark with all engines still firing, it'll be shopping frenzy time. I will be unstoppable (as will my Mum lol)

Z

Edited by Zarlias, 02 May 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#43 AprilFoolsChild

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Welcome Buzz and congratulations on your positive.

Zarlias- I wouldn't worry about the personals, I'm sure I'll get to the stage where only reply to last 2 or 3.
It's good just to have an update from you on where you're at and what your thoughts / opinions are.

Spitzmum- Thanks for the link to NIB site. i've guestimated $6-7000 to be set aside which should also include a slush fund for unforeseen tests / events. However I am expecting to not spend all that.

LoveMyLife- I had to laugh at well trained your DH is. My DH just keeps asking when I'll start showing - I don't know whether he's excited or concerned at the prospect of me looking bigger!! I'm sure I will look huge though as I'm only 5'3'', so not much room for bub's other than out, out and even further out front.

I had contemplated the baby Expo in Melbourne recently & DH thought we were getting ahead of ourselves.... wouldn't you know it we ended up pregnant! I have to admit though I have collected lots of info off the net and EB over the last 18 months that I am interested in purchasing. My favourites is going to explode.

I too am checking out baby furniture online, so much to think about with the first & no friends / family to supply hand me downs. They've either passed them on or are still using them for second children.

What I am seriously thinking about now is how much needs to be done to our house b4 bubs arrives i.e. unfinished renovated room, etc which I decided to leave last year as didn't know when / if we'd need it; and a need to fit off our hydronic heating by next winter....panic is starting to set in. I'm wondering how long I will be physically capable of  doing stuff.

#44 *RockTot*

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

waves.gif   Hi everyone!
Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself, I got my BFP yesterday and my due date is the 1st Jan (we're hoping it will be a few days late, or maybe even 1 day early so every NYE would double as a party lol! )

I'm only 5 weeks so am not booking in any appointments etc until I'm more confident it will stick -  I know how morbid that must sound, but I've suffered a m/c in the past & don't want to get my hopes up & then have to go through that again sad.gif   Besides, it hasn't really sunk in yet!

TBH, I'm a little worried about how I'm going to handle a 3yro with ASD (who is HUGELY demanding of me), and a newborn, as I have no help.  DH has told me I HAVE to sort out some sort of help within the next few months, so I've been looking into my options, but it's pretty hard to find what I'm looking for!  Especially since we are new to the area.  But still, I'm looking forward to having another, we find ways to cope don't we? original.gif

Congratulations to you all, and I hope we all have a boring, unevenful 8 months or so!  Looking forward to getting to know you all!

#45 spitzmum

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Welcome RockTot and congrats on your BFP  :)

AFC - I'm a shorty too!  And  quite slim - I'm looking forward to putting on a bit more bulk :)

I was also thinking about what needs to be done around the house. I was restoring my grandmother's rocking chair - I  think I'll have to stop, I'm fairly sure that sanding off 50yr old varnish might not be something  I should be breathing in.  DH said he'll finish off the sanding and re-varnishing while I work on making the cushions.

#46 LoT

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

I would recommend Baby Love by Robin Barker for the first-time Mummies out there. And if you can all hold out until the stocktake sales to buy your baby goods, you'll save a lot of mulah. The stores also have baby weeks (usually arounf Sept/Oct) where a heap of stuff is discounted. Make your selections and write a list for the big items. Take it to Baby Bunting or Mothercare and you'll get a good discount. Otherwise take note of the catelogues now and check out the price reductions through the year. Don't pay more!! There is another expo in early Ocober at Jeff's Shed for Melbournians. This is the better expo, and its free to enter, just need to print the voucher or get it from sponsors (Baby Bunting, pumpkin patch etc) You can even get them to send you vouchers.

I love shopping for baby!! hehehe.

I just had my bloods confirmed. A really low number (66) but I think I was only 10DPO when I had it done last Friday. AF is due tmr, but there is no sign, so I'm certainly up the duff. I don't want to be pessimistic. My last pregnancy was terrible. I have high hopes of an easier one!! I've already booked my OB, because I'm scared about everyone being away during xmas/NY.

Stay well, everyone. wink.gif

#47 Rockyboyray

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi all, not much to say but just wanted to keep in the loop.  It's so nice to read everyone's posts and hear what you're all thinking.  Funny how lots of us try not to get carried away early on with planning for baby's arrival.  I'm definitely trying not to, in light of previous MC, but having had two great pregnancies, hopefully all will go to plan and I can also start getting carried away with you all!  Hehe!  I have started thinking about the house though....we have 3 rooms, my daughter has the biggest, and I don't want her sharing with her brother (a bit too old for that now), so I'm thinking she will have to move in to the back room (our room), as there's more room in her current room for our queen size bed and the baby's cot and change table.  I'm one of those mums who doesn't rest easy or go back to sleep easily when I hear my baby stir, but I'm hoping I can teach myself to be more relaxed as there's nowhere else for the baby to go!!  Here's hoping.  Oh, some great news, my DP proposed y'day and I very happily accepted!  This will be my 2nd marriage, 2 children to my XH, so it's a very exciting time for us.  Have a great day all and hope you and your peanuts continue to flourish xx

#48 spitzmum

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

Congrats RBR!!!! llove.gif  

LoT - thanks for the shopping tips original.gif

#49 MissButtercup

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Wow it's wonderful to see soo many BFP. Congrats everyone.

Would love to hear what number pregnancy this will be for everyone. This is pregnancy #4 for us but unfortantely i miscarried one in 2008.

We aren't making any chances to our house for bubs as we're trying to sell so we can build... fingers crossed it will sell soon.

#50 cordyline

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Scared to jinx anything but ph34r.gif And hoping I can stick around. It's midnight and despite being sooo tired I can't sleep!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

There's no need to eclipse a babymoon

As long as pregnant women do their research, travelling during pregnancy can be done safely.

Mum and daughter have babies on same day

"It's not really something you ever want or think could happen. To have my mum going through it with me is probably the most special, amazing thing ever.”

Our baby's reflux caused the longest endurance test of our lives

I'm glad she wasn't my first child, or I would have thought that this was normal.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

The podcast that reminds mums they are not alone

A mum's complicated, gruelling labour gave birth to two lovely beings: her daughter and her delightful podcast, The Longest Shortest Time.

Is it too late to change my midwife?

My wife is nine months pregnant and we are planning a home birth - but we've had late problems with our midwife team.

The Very Hungover Caterpillar: a parody many can relate to

A new book released this month will be sure to have parents nodding and giggling in recognition the world over.

Babywearers unite against misinformation

Everyone has heard of people power, but what about passionate babywearing power?

Reliving the birth experience

When people ask about how my labour went, I usually respond: "Good, I think? Four hours long, and yeah it hurt, but I dunno, it's labour, it's giving birth, it's painful... but I guess it was good? As good as good gets?"

Literary baby name inspiration

From Harry Potter to Shakespeare and everything in between, we've scoured the library shelves for literary baby name inspiration.

Preparing your child to attend a sibling's birth

Thinking about having your kids at the birth of your baby? Here are some things to consider.

Counselling helps mum deal with triplets' early birth

When Kimberlee King's waters broke nine weeks before her triplets were due, she went into autopilot as she packed her hospital bag.

The women balancing babies with new businesses

Motherhood teaches us that we can be more tolerant, patient, and loving than we ever thought possible - and can also show us that we're innovative, creative and entrepreneurial, too.

It's true, kids grow up overnight

A dad ponders how his toddler daughter can change so much in just one 24 hour period.

Father sings to dying son days after losing wife

A heartbreaking video shows a new dad singing 'Blackbird' to his dying son just days after losing his wife.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Mark Latham, you have no idea

Parents who treat their depression are "cowardly", feminists are baby haters with a "psychoneurotic disorder". Really, Mark?

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.