Weaning a toddler because of pregnancy

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

I am about 7 weeks pregnant and I'm thinking about weaning my DS. While I know that feeding while pregnant is possible, I've been finding it painful and it's not his latch, it seems to be coming from within the breast. I really wanted to go with his timeline, but since I'm on his allergy diet, I'd really like to a) expose the new baby to his allergens in the hope we can avoid it next time and b) eat them myself.

I'm looking for advice on how to go about it. I don't know that Don't Offer, Don't refuse will really work.. we have a little plateau at the moment of just morning and evening feeds and these never fail to be asked for. This morning he asked and I couldn't bear the thought of it, so I said No and that it hurts mummy. I'm wondering if I should just continue saying no to morning feeds for a while and then build up to saying no to the evening ones. Really just looking for experiences of other people who've done it.

#2 Who is me

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

I had the same issue when pregnant with DS. It was getting really painful, and just too uncomfortable to continue. I stopped offering, and we started getting DH to do the whole bedtime routine (bath, milk, stories, and then cuddle in bed till he fell asleep) from start to finish. It was best if I just disappeared when possible - into another room, door shut. If I wasn't around, it didn't really bother him that much.

If he got really upset, and really wanted mummy, of course I would go out. We started with DH doing bedtime every now and again, and then it became more and more frequent. In the meantime we had a few chats about mummy being a bit sore and tired, and about how babies drink breast milk. DS was at that stage where he was really wanting to differentiate himself from babies.

After about a month, he stopped asking regularly, and then when I felt we were both ready, I told him there wasn't any more milk in there. He didn't believe me, and I let him try, and there really wasn't much there, so he understood that we were done. He still asks occasionally, or nuzzles in, but he's not bothered when I tell him they don't work anymore.  

I feel like it was a nice gradual process that we were both comfortable with - he was never really distressed, and it gave us both time to get used to it, and separate ourselves from it.

#3 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

I was the same as the PP, because of the pain I had to stop - although DS was nearly ready as he wasn't asking for it so much. We switched to DH doing bed time routine and although. Felt awful at the time, he stopped asking after a few days.

On the flip side to that, since DS2 was born I've had a few moments of absolute guilt to DS1 and keep wondering if I should have put up with it. Hopefully that's just those pesky hormones though (but I wanted you to know it's not all sunshine and roses after you do wean).

Good luck - I remember the pain well.

#4 deejie

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi Rp, congratulations on your pregnancy  biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Riotproof @ 25/04/2012, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really wanted to go with his timeline, but since I'm on his allergy diet, I'd really like to a) expose the new baby to his allergens in the hope we can avoid it next time and b) eat them myself.

I can completely relate to this. When I was pregnant with DS2, DS1 was still having 2 feeds per day (morning & before bed). He would have his morning feed as soon as he woke up and then breakfast, so instead I would get his breakfast ready as soon as I heard him stir. "Mummy doesn't have any milk for you this morning, but I have a surprise!" For the first few days, I would have something special to eat as well as his cereal (an allergen free pikelet, stewed fruits etc) just to get him excited to help him forget about the missed BF. Worked a treat.

I was happy to keep going with the evening feed but as the weeks progressed my supply was obviously dwindling. There was a lot of sucking and not much swallowing. One evening, DS1 latched, popped off, whinged and said "all gone". Same again next night. Didn't bother offering the third night. Instead, I had an OMELETTE for dinner. Eggs! On toast with REAL BUTTER. DH picked up a box of CHOCOLATES and a piece of COOKIES N CREAM CHEESECAKE on the way home from work. Oh, I will remember that night for a long time biggrin.gif

So, in the end due to dwindling supply he self-weaned the last feed, never looked back and made it all easy. I *never* thought he would give it up just a few months beforehand, but from my reading I gather this is not uncommon with toddlers.

Good luck original.gif

#5 Riotproof

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Deejie, I knew if anyone would understand you would.

That's pretty much what I've done this morning, which I plan to keep following up with. The night time feed is a bit harder because he seems to really love that snuggle, and even though I don't purposely feed to sleep, since he's given up the daysleep, that is effectively what happens. Tonight, I fed until I felt him getting really heavy and popped him in the cot, where he said "No, no, no, no" before going to sleep.
I did try to skip the feed and see what happens, but he was quite adamant.

I really did have the feeling that he would simply not self wean, which I know is ridiculous. Might be hard for people who haven't done it to understand, but the allergy diet requires such a sacrifice. Particularly when the items are egg and milk. I feel like I've given him enough in that regard.

#6 michie0moo

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy.
Secondly, I think your idea sounds like it will work really well for dropping the morning feed and then you can attempt to drop that night feed too. Can you try and just hold him for a bit longer before you put him down to give him a little bit of time to fall asleep in arms in the evening to help shorten that feed. Not easy with a heavy toddler I know, and also not ideal having him fall asleep in arms, but might help to shorten the feeds.

I can also relate to the feeling of never going to self wean. DD is now 22 months and will still ask for (read demand) several feeds per day (and while not deliberate, we also seem to slide in to a feed to sleep pattern). She is gradually dropping some though but I have no idea how she will cope if she is still doing so in a few more months when I am due. At the moment, even if it isn't a "feed to sleep", that feed prior to bed seems pretty essential to her.

#7 Riotproof

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Thanks Michie.. yes, we are still going fine in the morning, he does ask, but is offered water which he doesn't take everytime. I am trying to make sure we have lots of contact during the day to compensate.

So, I'm just seeing how it goes.  

#8 Cat Burglar

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

would love to hear how the others are going with this, just posted a similar but slightly different topic. I only wish dont ask dont refuse would work for me! DD has literally ripped my clothing trying to pull my top off and she will scream at the top of her lungs for hours when she wants bf - nothing else will calm her  sad.gif

#9 michie0moo

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

SoccerMum - I'm not really weaning (except for trying to reduce the total feeds via distraction techniques that are at best, hit and miss) but I certainly sympathise with the "nothing will calm if she wants bf"

I'm having a little bit of success with "later" or "after we do this" but not always. Not sure how old your DD is so don't know if talking with her will work. Should also add, that that approach was a complete failure this morning when she had a total meltdown that was sparked by me saying "no" to chips and ended in demands for breastfeed, so it is slow progress, like most things.

#10 Riotproof

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

Soccermum, I feel similarly torn, I don't want to force him, but it is was starting to hurt and I'd rather not remember bfing as something you grit your teeth through. It certainly hasn't been like that for me.
You definitely don't need to wean if you don't want to. It may be that your supply drops and she gives it up willingly or she might go through.

i have had some success with removing the morning feed. He hasn't had one since I posted this topic, which seems like ages ago, but it's just almost two weeks. We had a few mornings where he cried at the no, and then others where he doesn't even ask or is happy with a drink of water.
The night time feed is one he is hanging onto. I don't want to replace it with a cup of milk in the bedroom because we brush teeth prior to a bath, and it seems I am asking a lot of him just to lose that cuddle time with no replacement. I think given his age, I may have some luck with talking about the milk being gone and seeing what happens, but I'm not ready to try that yet.

#11 FauxPas

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hi - I had to stop breastfeeding DS at 2 years and about 2 months for the exact same reason.  

My approach was to sit down and explain to him that there was no more milk and that my "bee bees" (his word for breasts) were too sore to give him milk and that he was a big boy and big boys drink their milk from a cup.

He was very understanding and reasonable about it. He asked for a week or so and I was consistent with my response.  I always offered milk pre-bed but post-toothbrushing.

We only had one random incident when baby was born when I had shower and had bee bees exposed and he literally went to jump forward for a suckle.  I laughed in a gentle friendly way reminding him he was a big boy and didn't have bee bee anymore.  He laughed too and gave me a hug.

All the best - I know how very hard it is.

#12 Riotproof

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (FauxPas @ 08/05/2012, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi - I had to stop breastfeeding DS at 2 years and about 2 months for the exact same reason.  

My approach was to sit down and explain to him that there was no more milk and that my "bee bees" (his word for breasts) were too sore to give him milk and that he was a big boy and big boys drink their milk from a cup.

He was very understanding and reasonable about it. He asked for a week or so and I was consistent with my response.  I always offered milk pre-bed but post-toothbrushing.

All the best - I know how very hard it is.

Thanks for this post, Faux Pas. It's almost been a month now, and the morning feed is not overly missed. He will occasionally ask though.
I am considering doing as you did and just explaining that the milk has run out. Why the thought of this is making me teary, I'm not sure. The night time feeds are reduced to a very quick time frame and he accepts when I say that I just can't anymore, so I think he might be ready to hear that there isn't any left.

#13 Riotproof

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

This is night 2 of me just not mentioning the m word and Ds not asking. I can't believe how sad it makes me feel.  I do feel happy that he obviously feels secure without it, I would feel so much worse if he was constantly asking.  

Should I expect any physical symptoms? I know there is a hormonal impact, but other than that?

#14 deejie

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Riotproof @ 22/05/2012, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should I expect any physical symptoms? I know there is a hormonal impact, but other than that?

Hey RP. Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit down. I remember I was elated the first few days because of all the new things I could eat again, then the sadness came. You and your DS will find new ways to spend that special time together.

I didn't have any physical symptoms after DS1 self weaned unsure.gif I'm not sure if that is because it had practically dried up already by that point and that is why he lost interest to start with!

I know it's hard now,  but I think you should feel so proud of yourself. You have BF for such a long time under some very difficult circumstances and given him a wonderful start to life original.gif

#15 Riotproof

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

Deejie, I have popped out to the supermarket after I couldn't get DH to.  rolleyes.gif And have just eaten cheese on toast, 2 boiled eggs and toast with butter on it for dipping.
Gosh, I hope all that dairy in one place doesn't make me sick.

I guess it makes me sad because I know how easy it is to fix him when he's sick with bf. Those days when the only fluid he would take was milk, and the only place he'd sleep was on me. Actually, ironically, that has only happened the once! And it's a bit sad to think he's so grown up he doesn't need it anymore. And I feel guilty for not being able to sit on the sofa tonight without dashing out to buy the cheese and eggs.
The pregnancy hormones are probably making it worse, I had no idea when I was pregnant how special breastfeeding would be. I know I'm being a bit of a sap.

#16 deejie

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Riotproof @ 22/05/2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I'm being a bit of a sap.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you have the perfect excuse to be a total sap wink.gif

I remember it took me two weeks to get used to having dairy again after soooo long not eating it.
Doesn't such a simple meal like eggs, toast and butter just taste simply divine biggrin.gif I still get a kick out of eating eggs and DS1 hasn't had a BF for a year now!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.