Baby in our bed in the morning...
Is this a slippery slope?????

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ABabyPlease

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hi, my 7mo baby does not sleep in our bed and I would like to keep it this way.  Sometimes in the morning - when it is light outside - we bring him into our bed for cuddles to delay me getting straight out of bed.

In the long term, I don't mind cuddles in the morning as he gets older, but is letting him getting used to cuddles in the morning the beginning of him wanting to sleep in our bed?

Thanks
BTW - I have no objection or judgement to those of you who have babies sleep in our bed - it's just not for me.

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

I think one of e great things about being a kid is cuddles in bed in the morning with your parents, and I very much doubt that if you have a regular bedtime routine that it will lead to him wanting to sleep in your bed all the time.

#3 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

I hope not, cos we do this too.

I will say good morning, open the blinds and show him the morning,  change his nappy before hopping back in my bed.  Hope he gets the right idea.

#4 seaside_feral

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

I do not have children of my own yet, but cuddles in the morning is one of the things I am looking forward to most about having a baby!  Such a special time I can only imagine.

Your baby is 7 months and already seems established in sleeping in his own room, this may or may not change as he grows older as kids go through different phases with these things, but I would not stop those morning cuddles out of fear he will want to sleep in your bed!  As he gets older I suppose you can "rationalise" with him a bit more - you go to bed in your bed, and come in to mummy's bed in the morning.  

I'm sure others will have much better advice.  

#5 Becstarinator

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

My 4 year old DS has always slept in his own bed but comes for cuddles in the morning.  I welcome the extra 10/15 minutes in bed, especially on the weekends.

It doesn't happen everyday.  Like this morning he came into our room but wanted breakfast so no cuddles.

#6 happygurl06

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Enjoy every minute of it!

#7 Roobear

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

DD is 15 months and has been cuddling in our bed in the mornings since she came home from hospital. She has always slept and seemed to prefer sleeping in her cot so no preference to our bed at all.

#8 my serenity

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (Roobear @ 25/04/2012, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD is 15 months and has been cuddling in our bed in the mornings since she came home from hospital. She has always slept and seemed to prefer sleeping in her cot so no preference to our bed at all.

This and at 6 she still sleeps in her bed all night and comes in for cuddles in the morning often resulting in more sleep on a weekend original.gif

#9 podg

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

I'd welcome it. He (and any future kids) is a loved and welcome member of your family, and the parental bed is a warm, affectionate, safe place. I love my morning snuggles with one, two or three of my children (whoever gets up first tends to come and crawl in with me, report on their sleep and chat about the day) and remember how nice my own parents bed used to be.

It doesn't have to mean he spends more and more time in your bed.

(and when he is older and morning snuggles with DH are in order instead/after kid snuggles... there's breakfast and TV)

#10 JustBeige

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

I'm a 'everyone sleeps in their own beds' person.   We used to have everyone pile into bed with us in the mornings. lol, they still do it at 11 and 12.

We did have requests for them to sleep in our bed, but we just explained that their beds were for sleeping and our beds were for daytime cuddling.

Enjoy it for what it is original.gif

#11 Rach42

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

Nope not a slippery slope at all.  I often slept with my babys in bed with me towards the morning as I'd bf them and then we'd both fall back to sleep.  I never had them sleep in our bed all night though.  I think alot of parents miss out on some gorgeous moments with their babies because they are worried that they are going to create a rod for their back later (or whatever that expression is).

If at some point your baby does want to sleep in your bed (which will quite possibly happen if you have cuddles in bed in the morning or not) you just say no.

#12 BornToLove

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

We have been doing it with DD since the beginning and it's never been an issue. She will sometimes go back to sleep for upto an hour, but for her night sleep unless she's sick she prefers her space (we let her cosleep when she's sick, never a problem getting her back on her own).

#13 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

I thought morning cuddles were why people had babies?

#14 Lokum

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 25/04/2012, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought morning cuddles were why people had babies?

Yep.

DS will even go to our made bed later in the day and have a roll around on it for fun. I may go and have a wrestle with him too cool.gif  

I'm so glad his parents' bed is a happy, safe place for him to go.

Admittedly, he does sleep there from about 4 am to 6:30am each day, and is in his cot the rest of the night, and for day sleeps.

#15 jedimaster

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

I have teens...not many cuddles at all anymore. Enjoy them while they are plentiful!  original.gif

Edited by jedimaster, 26 April 2012 - 12:01 AM.

#16 Lisy-lis

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

6:30 every morning sees our baby in bed for cuddles with us.   Daddy especially loves these, she's all warm and snuggly and gorgeous.

#17 CallMeFeral

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

I think that most things kids do early on (in the first few years) can be retrained with some effort, so there's no point missing out on experiences just due to 'rod for your back' sort of fears.
In my case, I LOOOOOOVE that the kids come to my bed at about 2 in the morning and have never discouraged it - and now at ages 2 and 3 they have started staying in their rooms all night and I'm devastated! laughing2.gif

Morning cuddles are one of my greatest joys in life.

#18 All-New

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

Like most people have said enjoy it.

I have never let DD1 sleep in our bed and as a result I get the "get up mummy, get up" ME:"Hop into mummy's bed for a cuddle".... "NO GET UP MUMMY GET UP!" as she yanks the doona off me.

Not nice at 6am!

#19 PreachersWife

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Becstarinator @ 25/04/2012, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 4 year old DS has always slept in his own bed but comes for cuddles in the morning.  I welcome the extra 10/15 minutes in bed, especially on the weekends.

It doesn't happen everyday.  Like this morning he came into our room but wanted breakfast so no cuddles.

This sounds liKe our house, except the four year old would stay there all day! It's the two year old that is out raiding the pantry if he wakes hungry!

If its early (before 7am) I'll put ABCKids on the tv in our room and we snuggle until its time to get up. I NEED about 10mins of being awake before I can get out of bed. Miss Four loves to rub my (pregnant) belly and say hello to the baby, she tells me about her sleep and asks what we are going to do that day.

It's a lovely time of the day!

Edited by PreachersWife, 26 April 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#20 Majeix

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (ABabyPlease @ 25/04/2012, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, my 7mo baby does not sleep in our bed and I would like to keep it this way.  Sometimes in the morning - when it is light outside - we bring him into our bed for cuddles to delay me getting straight out of bed.

In the long term, I don't mind cuddles in the morning as he gets older, but is letting him getting used to cuddles in the morning the beginning of him wanting to sleep in our bed?

Thanks
BTW - I have no objection or judgement to those of you who have babies sleep in our bed - it's just not for me.

IMO all you are doing is setting up the pattern of cuddles in Mummy and Daddy's bed in the morning. original.gif Your not settling him there, or bringing him in to sleep in the night, or sometimes putting him in there instead of in his own bed. As long as you don't do those things (which I do but we co-sleep so it didn't bother us) you should be able to continue with just cuddles. Many people have their children join them in their bed but don't co-sleep. original.gif

#21 Natttmumm

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Enjoy it while it lasts. MIne are 2 and 4 now and jump out of bed and want to go to the lounge room straight away. On the odd occasion they jump in we love it.

Wish I had done it more when they were tiny but I worried like you are.

#22 ABabyPlease

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Ok great - thanks everyone.
Morning cuddles for us!  Yippee!!!!!

#23 miss*k

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Oh we ALWAYS did this with DD. She was an early riser so she hopped in to bed with us in the morning, mainly so I could shower and get ready for work she would jump in next to DH.

I LOVE the cuddles in bed. DD comes in every morning for a cuddle, she sleeps all night no probs so hasn't done any wrong us.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.