Baby in our bed in the morning...
Is this a slippery slope?????

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ABabyPlease

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hi, my 7mo baby does not sleep in our bed and I would like to keep it this way.  Sometimes in the morning - when it is light outside - we bring him into our bed for cuddles to delay me getting straight out of bed.

In the long term, I don't mind cuddles in the morning as he gets older, but is letting him getting used to cuddles in the morning the beginning of him wanting to sleep in our bed?

Thanks
BTW - I have no objection or judgement to those of you who have babies sleep in our bed - it's just not for me.

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

I think one of e great things about being a kid is cuddles in bed in the morning with your parents, and I very much doubt that if you have a regular bedtime routine that it will lead to him wanting to sleep in your bed all the time.

#3 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

I hope not, cos we do this too.

I will say good morning, open the blinds and show him the morning,  change his nappy before hopping back in my bed.  Hope he gets the right idea.

#4 seaside_feral

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

I do not have children of my own yet, but cuddles in the morning is one of the things I am looking forward to most about having a baby!  Such a special time I can only imagine.

Your baby is 7 months and already seems established in sleeping in his own room, this may or may not change as he grows older as kids go through different phases with these things, but I would not stop those morning cuddles out of fear he will want to sleep in your bed!  As he gets older I suppose you can "rationalise" with him a bit more - you go to bed in your bed, and come in to mummy's bed in the morning.  

I'm sure others will have much better advice.  

#5 Becstarinator

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

My 4 year old DS has always slept in his own bed but comes for cuddles in the morning.  I welcome the extra 10/15 minutes in bed, especially on the weekends.

It doesn't happen everyday.  Like this morning he came into our room but wanted breakfast so no cuddles.

#6 happygurl06

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Enjoy every minute of it!

#7 Roobear

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

DD is 15 months and has been cuddling in our bed in the mornings since she came home from hospital. She has always slept and seemed to prefer sleeping in her cot so no preference to our bed at all.

#8 my serenity

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (Roobear @ 25/04/2012, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD is 15 months and has been cuddling in our bed in the mornings since she came home from hospital. She has always slept and seemed to prefer sleeping in her cot so no preference to our bed at all.

This and at 6 she still sleeps in her bed all night and comes in for cuddles in the morning often resulting in more sleep on a weekend original.gif

#9 podg

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

I'd welcome it. He (and any future kids) is a loved and welcome member of your family, and the parental bed is a warm, affectionate, safe place. I love my morning snuggles with one, two or three of my children (whoever gets up first tends to come and crawl in with me, report on their sleep and chat about the day) and remember how nice my own parents bed used to be.

It doesn't have to mean he spends more and more time in your bed.

(and when he is older and morning snuggles with DH are in order instead/after kid snuggles... there's breakfast and TV)

#10 JustBeige

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

I'm a 'everyone sleeps in their own beds' person.   We used to have everyone pile into bed with us in the mornings. lol, they still do it at 11 and 12.

We did have requests for them to sleep in our bed, but we just explained that their beds were for sleeping and our beds were for daytime cuddling.

Enjoy it for what it is original.gif

#11 Rach42

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

Nope not a slippery slope at all.  I often slept with my babys in bed with me towards the morning as I'd bf them and then we'd both fall back to sleep.  I never had them sleep in our bed all night though.  I think alot of parents miss out on some gorgeous moments with their babies because they are worried that they are going to create a rod for their back later (or whatever that expression is).

If at some point your baby does want to sleep in your bed (which will quite possibly happen if you have cuddles in bed in the morning or not) you just say no.

#12 BornToLove

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

We have been doing it with DD since the beginning and it's never been an issue. She will sometimes go back to sleep for upto an hour, but for her night sleep unless she's sick she prefers her space (we let her cosleep when she's sick, never a problem getting her back on her own).

#13 CountryFeral

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

I thought morning cuddles were why people had babies?

#14 Lokum

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 25/04/2012, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought morning cuddles were why people had babies?

Yep.

DS will even go to our made bed later in the day and have a roll around on it for fun. I may go and have a wrestle with him too cool.gif  

I'm so glad his parents' bed is a happy, safe place for him to go.

Admittedly, he does sleep there from about 4 am to 6:30am each day, and is in his cot the rest of the night, and for day sleeps.

#15 jedimaster

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

I have teens...not many cuddles at all anymore. Enjoy them while they are plentiful!  original.gif

Edited by jedimaster, 26 April 2012 - 12:01 AM.

#16 Lisy-lis

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

6:30 every morning sees our baby in bed for cuddles with us.   Daddy especially loves these, she's all warm and snuggly and gorgeous.

#17 CallMeFeral

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

I think that most things kids do early on (in the first few years) can be retrained with some effort, so there's no point missing out on experiences just due to 'rod for your back' sort of fears.
In my case, I LOOOOOOVE that the kids come to my bed at about 2 in the morning and have never discouraged it - and now at ages 2 and 3 they have started staying in their rooms all night and I'm devastated! laughing2.gif

Morning cuddles are one of my greatest joys in life.

#18 All-New

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

Like most people have said enjoy it.

I have never let DD1 sleep in our bed and as a result I get the "get up mummy, get up" ME:"Hop into mummy's bed for a cuddle".... "NO GET UP MUMMY GET UP!" as she yanks the doona off me.

Not nice at 6am!

#19 PreachersWife

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Becstarinator @ 25/04/2012, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 4 year old DS has always slept in his own bed but comes for cuddles in the morning.  I welcome the extra 10/15 minutes in bed, especially on the weekends.

It doesn't happen everyday.  Like this morning he came into our room but wanted breakfast so no cuddles.

This sounds liKe our house, except the four year old would stay there all day! It's the two year old that is out raiding the pantry if he wakes hungry!

If its early (before 7am) I'll put ABCKids on the tv in our room and we snuggle until its time to get up. I NEED about 10mins of being awake before I can get out of bed. Miss Four loves to rub my (pregnant) belly and say hello to the baby, she tells me about her sleep and asks what we are going to do that day.

It's a lovely time of the day!

Edited by PreachersWife, 26 April 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#20 Majeix

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (ABabyPlease @ 25/04/2012, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, my 7mo baby does not sleep in our bed and I would like to keep it this way.  Sometimes in the morning - when it is light outside - we bring him into our bed for cuddles to delay me getting straight out of bed.

In the long term, I don't mind cuddles in the morning as he gets older, but is letting him getting used to cuddles in the morning the beginning of him wanting to sleep in our bed?

Thanks
BTW - I have no objection or judgement to those of you who have babies sleep in our bed - it's just not for me.

IMO all you are doing is setting up the pattern of cuddles in Mummy and Daddy's bed in the morning. original.gif Your not settling him there, or bringing him in to sleep in the night, or sometimes putting him in there instead of in his own bed. As long as you don't do those things (which I do but we co-sleep so it didn't bother us) you should be able to continue with just cuddles. Many people have their children join them in their bed but don't co-sleep. original.gif

#21 Natttmumm

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Enjoy it while it lasts. MIne are 2 and 4 now and jump out of bed and want to go to the lounge room straight away. On the odd occasion they jump in we love it.

Wish I had done it more when they were tiny but I worried like you are.

#22 ABabyPlease

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Ok great - thanks everyone.
Morning cuddles for us!  Yippee!!!!!

#23 miss*k

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Oh we ALWAYS did this with DD. She was an early riser so she hopped in to bed with us in the morning, mainly so I could shower and get ready for work she would jump in next to DH.

I LOVE the cuddles in bed. DD comes in every morning for a cuddle, she sleeps all night no probs so hasn't done any wrong us.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

She went to a doctor complaining of stomach pains, then had an unexpected operation to remove a decades-old fetus.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.