Have you been induced?
& how was it?

37 replies to this topic

#1 moosmum2

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Am currently 38 wks pregnant with my second & it's looking like I am going to be induced. Would appreciate hearing any of your induction stories (hoping most are positive!  original.gif )

I had a long drawn out spurious labour with my first but the birth was good so hoping an induction wont change this.

Some questions I have are:- if you've had more than one birth, was it more intense / painful? did you need intervention - forceps, episiotomy etc.. ? & any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ladies!

#2 imamumto3

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

my induced labour was very positive.  It was my second VBAC so after ARM, they started the drip very slowly and gradually built it up.  I had a very quick active labour & delivery, 30 mins all up, but my first vbac labour & delivery was only 45 mins anyway, so not much different.  I did not need any intervention & I managed the pain with a tens machine & gas.

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you

#3 Feral_RosieC

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

I was induced with my 2nd at 39+4.  Prior to induction I was examined and favourable.  I had the ARM and drip around 8.30am, my first contraction was't until about 9.30am and my baby was born at 10.16am.  I would say the last 10  minutes was full on with contractions on top of each other.  I didn't even push, my DD came flying out.  

I did prefer my induction to my spontaneous 20+ hour labour.  This labour resulted in a 3.4kg baby with 2nd degree tear requiring a couple of stitches.

My induced labour resulted in a 3.4kg baby with 2nd degree tear requiring a couple of stitches (obviously I only gestate 3.4kg babies).  The recovery from the 2nd birth was so much easier than the first, as I hadn't laboured through the night.  I was back on the ward by lunchtime and felt ready to go home a couple of hours after the birth where with my first I was exhausted and took a few days to recover.  

I wish you well with the upcoming birth and hope your experience is as positive as mine.

ETA: I was also quite unwell when I was induced (the reason for inducing as I needed some really strong medication to help me fight a horrid sinus and chest infection and 3 weeks of antibiotics hadn't done anything and I needed drugs that the OB didn't want me to take while still pregnant) surprisingly being sick this didn't impact on my ability to labour at all.  The OB was really concerned that if I needed a c-section he was really reluctant for me to have a general, so I had an epidural line put in just in case.  I didn't need it and was able to move around during labour, though I didn't have much time for that as the birth was quick.

Edited by rosiec, 25 April 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#4 PopperPenguin

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

My induced labour was not a positive experience. It's was incredibly intense and painful, I required two failed attempts at the ventouse. I had an episiotomy and he was eventually born via forceps. I was in active labour for 12 hours.

However in saying all that, this is my first child, so I have no way of knowing if it was more painful than natural birth.

#5 mumto3princesses

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

I was induced with DD1. My water broke and then nothing so I was induced.

They started the drip around 9am or so slowly increasing. Nothing happened for a long time but when it did it was pretty quick. Shower and then shower and gas for pain relief. then I got out of the shower and had a pethadine injection which ended up being pretty close to the end. I needed and episiotomy and ended up having her at 9:52pm.

#6 MARsmum

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

I have had two positive inductions.  My first labour was incredibly fast so I was induced for DD2 and DS.

With DD2, I was about 3cm dilated so all I required was an ARM then contractions started and I had a great labour where contractions slowly intensified and she was born 1 hour and 45 minutes later.  With DS, I was also 3cm dilated and had an ARM although nothing happened.  Contractions stopped and started then stopped again.  So I was put on the drip and the contractions started and intensified but nothing like my natural labour in which I had no break in contractions.  My DS was born 1 hour and 45 minutes after the drip was put on.  I needed no further intervention apart from the induction.

My natural labour was fast but incredibly intense.  I had absolutely no break in contractions.  When one was finishing another started.  A lot of people seem to complain that inductions intensify the contractions but for me it was the opposite.  It slowed the labour down and allowed the contractions to build up.

However, if I was to have another baby, I would prefer for labour to start naturally as I think my last induction was a bit premature and more to suit my OB than me.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well!

#7 namie

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

I've had two inductions and both were positive, although DS1s was a little more prolonged than it should have been because my Ob got held up assisting a colleague and was hours late coming back to me, will explain more below.

DS1 (at 40+2):
Gel thing was inserted at 8pm Wed night, mild period-pain-like contracting on and off overnight. Nothing major, I was able to sleep. Ob was supposed to return at 8am to break my waters but she got called in to help a colleague deliver twins at 28 weeks gestation (couldn't be cross when I heard that, lol!) so she arrived to me at 3pm. Broke waters, contractions started around 5pm and were fully on by 11pm. I'd been able to wander the room, breathe gas, whatever I needed.
I asked for an epidural at mignight because I couldn't cope with the pain anymore. Midwife agreed it was a good idea. That was administered just after 12.30am, and I was hooked up to syntocinon drip (apparently at half strenght/half speed), and the monitors which meant I was confined to the bed for the duration. I was able to sit up though and the wonderful midwife helped me through contractions until my Ob arrived at 3.30am.
DS1 was assisted into the world with forceps (and an episiotomy) at 3.54am.

DS2 (at 39+6):
Gel thing inserted at 8pm Monday night, period-pain-like contractions overnight, as before, nothing major. Ob arrived at 8am, broke my waters, by 9am it was all on, but this time they wanted to monitor me closely so I was hooked up to the machine and had to stay sitting on the bed. I used gas until midday when I was told I was 6cm dilated. I asked if it was too late for an epidural, they said no and called the anaesthetist who arrived around 12.30pm. By the time he'd scrubbed up and I'd been swabbed down etc it was too late and I started to need to push.
DS2 arrived without assistance (and my Ob!), at 12.52pm.

I have no qualms about being induced a third time if we fall pregnant again.

#8 becstar77

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I was induced for my first and third babies. The first was a long drawn out process (over 24 hours from gel insertion - 18 hours of the drip). I ended up with an epidural, episiotomy and a forceps delivery. Sounds like a nightmare but I am so thankful that my ob was so insistent on delivering my daughter vaginally and exhausting all options before heading to theatre. My little one was so comfortable in there she wouldn't descend at all. She was delivered with forceps in theatre in a last ditch attempt to avoid a c section.  As I was labouring for so long, and prepped for a c section the recovery did take a little while. She was born around 10 pm so I basically didn't get up until the next day and it took a while before I didn't feel faint.

Dd2 was spontaneous and born after 6 ish hours of active labour. Recovery was almost immediate. I had an epidural but it didn't really work very well and she suddenly was ready to come out so there wasn't even time for a catheter to be inserted.

Dd3 was induced and the drip was put up after ruturing the membranes failed to get things moving. She was born after less than 2 and a half hours of active labour with only gas for pain relief. Also the first time I didn't need any stitches.  Recovery was almost immediate and I was home the next day.

#9 Superman+4sisters

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

I have been induced four times, and augmented once. Each time it was for being post dates.

Since I haven't had a purely natural labour I can't compare the intensity, but it might reassure you to hear that with my first I used pethedeine (which they no longer use, I think it's morpheine now) but with the other four I only needed gas. I delivered normally, without forceps or vacuum extraction, there was no cascade of intervention.

Most times they broke my membranes (not pleasant, but not traumatic either). I had the gel the first and second times, and the syntocin drip each time (but to different levels).

I needed stitches each time, the first time for an episiotostomy, but only first degree / mild repairs. My recoveries were quick and complete, and each time the baby was fine and breastfed well.

I hope your induction goes just as smoothly hheart.gif

#10 lynneyours

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

I was induced with DD1.  I just had one lot of gel to induce me and I went into labour, first contractions (very mild like period pain) at 6am, ramped up a bit and I was 4cm by lunch time.  DD1 was born by ventouse at 4.47pm after they broke my waters at 4.35pm ish.  3 pushes and she was out.  
The distress had nothing to do with being induced - she was posterior and had the cord wrapped round her neck, which was being compressed every time I had a contraction, so her oxygen/heart rate was dipping each contraction.
2nd degree tear and I just used gas/Entonox as pain relief, which they took away when I started pushing.

DD2 was born 20 months later, and natural.  It hurt the same amount.  I still had a second degree tear.  She also was posterior and had the cord wrapped round her neck and her heart rate was dipping to under 80 every contraction.  I had no pain relief - they had me on pure oxygen to try to saturate DD2's blood.  I went from first contractions at midnight, to painful ones and 1cm at 6am, to 4cm waters bulging at 10.55am, to 4cm and waters broken at 11.25am, felt her slam into my cervix.  She was born at 11.37am!

Giving birth both times really felt the same, except I felt out of it after DD1, and wide awake and completely with it after DD2.  If I ever have another baby, I will try very hard to avoid the gas.  The midwife's both times told me that if I had had an epidural in, they probably would've done an emergency caesar, but because I didn't, it was quicker to get them out naturally than operate.

Both were very positive birth experiences I felt.

#11 Jenferal

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

I was induced on my due date due to GD. It's my only birth so can't compare with any others(though my OB said there's no way of knowing if an induction IS worse than natural as EVERY labour is different anyway).
I was 2cm dilated 2 days before the induction, had my waters broken on the day and gave birth 15 or so hours later. It was EXCRUCIATING back pain(which I wasn't expecting) but the epidural was FANTASTIC! Had a small episiotomy and she needed the ventouse (2 pulls from memory) and then she was out.
I felt positive about it as she was healthy, I was mostly healthy(unrelated PPH right after and a transfusion) and it a healthy baby is all I cared about.

#12 paddyboo

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

I was induced at 39+5 for medical reasons. Was a very positive birth, quick and would gladly be induced again. See my birth story (link in sig) for more details.
sare

#13 amabanana

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I have.  And it was hideous.  That is all I am going to say.  

I tried to avoid it but was really running out of options at 42+ weeks.  I wouldn't go the induction without a very good reason but that is my personal opinion.

Best of luck OP.

#14 happy2bme

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

My first was spontaneous labour - 12 hours.

My second was induced & whilst it was a shorter labour (2-3hrs) it was awful. Much more intense & I just hated it.  If I have another baby I will be fighting to be induced.  There wasn't any medical reason I was induced - only that I was overdue by the doctors dates.

#15 CrunchyNut

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

I've had both inductions and natural labours and I can't say that either where worse than the other!    I went in with a positive attitude and had complete trust in myself that I could deliver my babies myself without further intervention.  If you have an induction stay positive and go with your body, you don't loose total control of what happens just because you're induced, things can go wrong as they can even with a natural labour.  Good Luck.

#16 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Induced for my first. ARM at 2 pm. Drip up at 4 pm. DS1 born at 6:30 pm. Easy labour, no analgesia, very small episiotomy.

Spontaneous labour with my second. 5 hours from first contraction to delivery. I actually thought it was a harder and more painful labour. I never had contractions more than 1 in 5 min (and that only at the very very end, mostly they were 1 in 10) so there was a lot of waiting around and then horrendously strong contractions. Bub was posterior though so maybe that confounds my perception of the experience.

An induction, in my opinion, is not that different from a spontaneous labour, as long as your body is almost ready and you have good labour techniques.

Good luck!

#17 opethmum

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I was induced and the contractions started about 3 hours later after the gel was put in. I was in active labour for about 19hrs before I had emergency c/s due to failure to progress and bub was stuck at the beginning of the birth canal.

#18 lamarque

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Induced x 2. Labour came on hard and fast for the first but after epi I managed to sleep for a few hours through it. Pushed 2 hours, no intervention to get him out necessary.

Second induction was like slow period pain that gradually built up, it was much easier to deal with. Had an epi which didn't take effect as DD started coming down. 40 mins of pushing and no intervention necessary (she was 4.2 kgs too!).

Good luck with your birth OP.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

#3 ARM at 9am, labour established at 10am, baby at 10:20am.

Easy as falling off a log. Intense pain but nothing huge. (ie. it was no worse nor better than the other two)

#20 Roobear

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

I was induced with DD due to being GBS+ when my waters broke.

It was incredibly fast (3 1/2 hours) and painful but overall was positive original.gif

Good luck!

Edited by Roobear, 25 April 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#21 moosmum2

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all your replies!

Going to go into it positively & as OP have said, healthy baby is the main concern.

#22 Feral_RosieC

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Just wanted to add OP that with my first long spontaneous labour I used gas, with my 2nd, induced labour I didn't have time to use anything, but I think that I would have been okay with gas again.... it was the same intensity as my spontaneous labour.... it's just I transitioned really quickly and before I knew it, my baby was there.

Good luck.

#23 Banana Pancakes

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Yes.

Edited by Banana Pancakes, 14 June 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#24 SeaPrincess

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

I've had 2 inductions, for DS1 and DD, both by ARM.
DS1 ARM at 7.30pm, first contractions at 8.30pm, DS born at 3.30am (not very well planned for an induction, but no-one really expected with a first baby that the AROM would do the job).  Ventouse assistance because he got stuck.

DD ARM at 7.15am, contractions started around 11, she was born at 4.30pm with no further intervention  (and she was the biggest baby!)

In comparison to the spontaneous labour with DS2, neither were more intense or more painful, but both were longer (DS2 was 3 hours from 1st contraction to delivery).  DS2 had ventouse assistance because the cord was around his neck, so the OB just wanted to get him out ASAP.

R

#25 bubblegummum

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

I was induced for #4. I am sure I was nowhere near the point of starting labour naturally (the induction was for medical reasons and was weeks earlier than the gestation stage that my others had arrived).  I didn't need a drip and the main difference btwn the 4th labour and the others was that I had to wear a monitor which was a mild irritation.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.