Catholic school fees
anyone had theirs waived?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 MadreLoca

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

(Cross-posted in 'managing money' as I was unsure where to post this).

Hi,

DS' FYOS will be 2013. I'm looking at enroling him at our local catholic PS & as a single parent on PPS, I'll be initially unable to pay full fees.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has had their fees waived due to financial hardship? The little bit of research I've so far undertaken indicates that the diocese accepts a certain number of non-fee paying students/families. I'll be contacting the school's Principal this week but curious in the meantime.

Thanks.

#2 KLF84

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

My DSS Catholic School Fees are approximately $1,900.00 per year.

They are to be paid by the end of terms 1, 2 and 3.

We do not pay fees in term 4, this is to help to allow parents to "catch up" in relation to payment.

Our principal does say in newsletters and on the bottom of the invoices that get sent home, that if you are experiencing financial hardship to contact him.

I have also been told by someone else that the school and dioceses are usually able to assist in some way.

I think you're moving in the right direction by contacting the school.

#3 tibs

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

At our local catholic parish school the fee waived spots tend to go to refugee families.  But each school probably has their own criteria so there is no harm in asking  biggrin.gif  Good luck original.gif

#4 Fluster

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'd speak to your local Priest.  

If you aren't a practicing Catholic, your chances of receiving a fee reduction are somewhere around diddly squat.

#5 Mishu

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

My school has fees that are $974 per term (for three terms only) with the option to pay these fortnightly. I'm not sure what the criteria is for waiving any of these fees. Note as well that you will need to buy uniforms, though our school also had a second hand uniform store available as well.

#6 DEVOCEAN

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

The only people I know who have had their fees waived were a couple of kids whose parents passed away. Their fees were waived until they left high school.

#7 Guest_tigerdog_*

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

If you aren't a practicing Catholic, your chances of receiving a fee reduction are somewhere around diddly squat.

I would say this - also, hardship reductions may only apply temporarily for families who were already enrolled but then fell on hard times as a means of keeping those kids in that school - if you can't afford it from day one then I wouldn't think they would take an enrolment.

#8 pratique

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Fluster @ 23/04/2012, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rubbish.
Most of our families receiving help from the local Catholic school (ie. church funded) are not practising.

#9 marley*and*me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Our school doesn't waive the fee they just accept what you are able to pay, as long as you are a member of the parish. It is based on a case by case basis, but everyone is expected to contribute something.

Just contact the finance officer at the school and they will explain your options to you. Our school offers fortnightly and monthly payments if you need.

#10 Apageintime

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

When I was in year 12 (early 2000s) my mum broke her spine and then dad lost his job for taking so much sick leave, the school waived all fees for the rest of the year for my sister and I.

You just have to go in and ask.

eta - my dad also did lots of 'helping out' at the school (tuckshop etc)

Edited by A.page, 23 April 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#11 MadreLoca

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Fluster @ 23/04/2012, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah this may be a problem. XH is the Catholic, I'm not.
Thanks for your replies. Guess I'll know more after speaking to the school. Cheers.

#12 StinkerSlinker

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

I know of one family who received financial support from the school (ie, had the fees waived for a year or so) BUT the kids were already enrolled and attending school, and the breadwinner was made redundant and found it difficult to find another job.

Also, they were practising Catholics and had made a huge (non-financial) contribution to the school and parish.  Not sure whether this had anything to do with it, but the kids were also quite bright and high academic achievers.  

Are you well-known and well-respected in the parish/diocese more broadly? If not, you may well find it difficult/impossible to get your fees waived.

#13 barrington

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

I would imagine that most schools would only waive fees for students currently enrolled in the school.

#14 Beancat

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but some schools will reduce your fees if your can spend some time helping out at the school, ie gardening, canteen, helping in the office etc.  Its worth asking if you can contribute something extra to make up for the reduction in fees if they initially reject your request

#15 pratique

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (barrington @ 23/04/2012, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would imagine that most schools would only waive fees for students currently enrolled in the school.

I know this to be true.

Why take on a student on reduce fee's for the next 7 years. They will have to make the money up somewhere.

#16 casime

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

So you're not catholic, have made no contribution to the church or their community, but expect them to waive fees for your child?  

If your ex husband wants them in a catholic school, he should pay for it.

#17 Hashley

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Have you checked the schools website? Sometimes discounts are offered for parents who hold a valid Health Care Card or eligible Pension Card to receive discounts on their tuition & amenities fees.

I think fees are the tip of the iceberg, depending on the school uniforms can also be a killer.

Edited by Hashley, 23 April 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#18 Hairy Maclary

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 23/04/2012, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you're not catholic, have made no contribution to the church or their community, but expect them to waive fees for your child?  

cclap.gif

#19 MadreLoca

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 23/04/2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't "expect" them to do anything. I'm putting the question out there to determine options. As for XH - I didn't want to go into it in this thread but he thinks by spending anything extra above CS on the boys, that he can use it as leverage/blackmail/whatever. Which is why I asked the question in the first place. If he was willing to contribute, I'd have no need for fees to be waived.

#20 oNeLoVe

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (**myboys** @ 23/04/2012, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why take on a student on reduce fee's for the next 7 years. They will have to make the money up somewhere.

Possibly by putting fees up for the rest of the paying students.

QUOTE (casime @ 23/04/2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.

#21 JECJEC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

When I went to the interview for my child way back in 2000 I was asked directly by the principal how I would be able to pay the fees. (The answer was easy for me - I told him it was cheaper than childcare- which it was)

Medium Long term to long term are you going to be able to pay them - also you have another child are you going to be in a position to pay them for both students. I would have answers for these ready before you speak to the school.

#22 Franni

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

I know that when I sent in an enrollment application to our local catholic primary we had to sign to say we could afford and would be paying the school fees.
I think your chances would be slim to get a place at the school with the intention of not paying the fees.

#23 Madeline's Mum

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

If your son isn't baptised you'll have a hard enough time getting him a spot, let alone having your fees reduced.

The spots here are given to baptised, practicing and donating families first. Everyone else is distant second.

Is there anyway you can save the money up in the remaining 8 months of the year?

Edited by Madeline's Mum, 23 April 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#24 MadreLoca

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

As per my OP, I'll initially be unable to pay full fees. I'm not interested in 7 years of fee-free attendance. Nowhere did I say that.

I'm currently on PPS. Not permanently.

Thanks for your replies so far

ETA both my boys are baptised (Catholic)

Edited by MadreLoca, 23 April 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#25 oNeLoVe

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

I guess the school doesn't know whether you *might* be able to pay full fees sometime in the future.  Unfortunately you wont be able to give them a date, or even a year, when you will be able to pay fees to them (as it will depend I guess on your circumstances, if you're hoping to get a job etc etc).  Even with your assurances that, say, next year you'll be working and able to pay fees, things don't always work out the way we plan them.  It'd be a big risk to them taking on another family who may then not be able to pay fees for years.  

I know they do take some non-fee paying families, and not sure how exactly it works but I know one Catholic school we were looking at leaves some positions for ATSI children.  Not sure whether the ATSI children get reduced fees, or zero fees or what.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.