Not sure what to do
re D&C vs Natural

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 undermyfeet

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi,

Just after opinions really.
Last week I had a scan, by my LMP I should have been 11weeks, but I had an earlier scan and the U/s person said I was two weeks behind so I think I should be about 9 weeks. I have a sac but it is empty, no fetal pole etc.
I started to spot on Thurs then today it is bright red but not really that heavy and a few tiny clots, I don't really have any cramping either.
I told the Dr last week that I would just wait and let it happen naturally (I did this last Oct when I M/C), she said that I could change my mind at anytime and have a D&C. Then I went into the hospital for an Anti-D injection and the Dr said the same thing, probably best to try and let it happen naturally but I can always change my mind.
So my question is this, now that I have started (and I know that it is different for everyone) could I just bleed like this for a week or will I pass clots soonish. Or should I see the Dr and book in for a D&C (which I assume will take a few days for them to fit me in and I can't really do it until Thurs anyway due to logistics), and then if I pass clots cancel it or will they do it just to make sure that all the product is out.
I probably just need to make an appointment with the Dr but thought I would ask here so I have something to think about.

Thanks, I know it is a bit rambly, hope someone can make sense of what I am trying to ask.

#2 Wishing2011

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hi OP not sure if I can help but when I had my MC it started just with brown blood. But I had an ultrasound and bub was still alive with its little heart beating away in there.. hheart.gif But then I started to get this black/dark brown stretchy stuff over the weekend (no actual bleeding though) then a few days later it turned into red stretchy stuff.. then I started bleeding. There was never any cramps during this time.. After a few days of light bleeding I started cramping and then a few days after that I passed the baby. I was only 7.5 weeks along so not sure if this makes much of a difference.

After I passed the baby (I passed two big clots like the size of my thumb and wider) I still bled for another 5 - 6 days. I was sent for a follow up ultrasound to make sure everything was gone and I was also told that if I bled for more than a 1 week after passing it to book in for a D&C.

Thinking of you right now, I know its hard and it isn't fair. Just know that you are not alone there are so many of us that have been through it too and we are all here if you need to talk.

Edited by Wishing2011, 23 April 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#3 Mishu

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

My first pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage at 11 weeks, spotting from 9 weeks. I had very similar situation to you. In my experience, I spotted continuously for 2 weeks, gradually getting heavier. The doctor told me to expect a normal period, maybe a little heavier. (TMI warning) it ended up being much more than just a normal period. I started getting a back ache, then cramps, then I lost the placenta (during this time the placenta had kept on growing). Very heavy bleeding (soaking a pad in 30-60 mins), losing large clots (the placenta - I passed a few clots, they were about the size of half my palm) and bad cramps & it was quite painful (I didn't have any panadol at home unfortunately). I was home alone at the time, and when I called the hospital they told me to come to Emergency, except I couldn't drive. The cramps had me pacing (don't know why) but once I lay down and tried to get some sleep, I'd say the bleeding eased after a few hours. Then light bleeding for a few days after.  I was totally unprepared for this and it was much worse than the doctor led me to expect. Had I known, I think I would have opted for a D&C. Though, it a weird way, it did give me some closure - the pain sorted of helped 'end' things in my mind.

Not saying that everyone's experience will be like this, and I know it is a bit TMI, but I was totally unprepared and I would hate for someone else to go through this like I did.

#4 chocolatecrackle

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

I had a D&C when I would have been 12 weeks. I had the lightest of brown spotting and then about 30 mins of moderate cramping.  I really didn't think it was anything, but decided to call anyway. I had a scan the next morning and there was no heartbeat, after a seeing a lovely heart pumping away just three weeks before.  According to the measurements, it had stopped growing at 9.5 weeks and I had had no sign of a miscarriage until 11.5 weeks.

My OB couldn't get me in for a D&C until four days after the spotting. I didn't have any more spotting or cramping after the first episode, and so I think that it wasn't going to happen naturally for me any time soon. My OB said that I was almost at the limit of when she would recommend letting things happen naturally - the further along you are, it seems the more difficult the process is.

Honestly, the D&C was fine, physically - I could have gone back to work that day. Emotionally, I was a wreck, but I think I would have been the same after a natural miscarriage. If I am unfortunate enough to have another miscarriage, I wouldn't hesitate in having a D&C.

I am so sorry you are going through this.

#5 ubermum

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Make sure you know the pros and cons of both. Both ways are pretty safe, but both are unpleasant and sad. I've been there. Nobody can decide for you. If you do decide to go for a d+c, know that it is mostly safe, but like any procedure there is anaesthetic risks. There is also a very small risk of something called Asherman's syndrome. It is rare, but it happened to a girlfriend of mine and she had no idea it was a possible (but extremely rare) consequence of d+c sometimes.

Good luck op. Look after your mental health. Also, just know sometimes the full impact of this event may not be felt by you for a while. I thought I was fine afterwards, however many months later a bad case of depression hit.

#6 undermyfeet

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Thankyou ladies for your replies, sorry it has taken me so long to get back.
I decided to just let things go and so how they went, I think that it is almost over now. It ended up being not too bad and just a heavy long period.
I think mentally that this one was easier to deal with becuase even though each time it is different I still had an idea what to expect.

Thanks.

#7 sparkl

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Feeling for you, as I now believe that m/c is generally an awful thing to go through - it certainly was for me. It sounds like you made a decision which worked out for the best and as you said 'wasn't too bad', so (In light of a generally awful situation) I am glad for that.

I just wanted to add my experience from about 6 mths ago mainly for anyone who may be trawling for information, and may not even be a member, as I found that even just reading information on this forum (amongst others) was extremely useful to me when I was in the middle of a m/c. I looked up medical type sites too, but none that i found actually gave a description of what it was like to experience it.

I had a somewhat similar situation in that a scan at 8 weeks appeared to be 6 weeks from measurements, and had very feeble, barely perceptible heartbeat. I was not given sense at all of this being cause for alarm, or the possibility of the baby not being viable by either the U/s operator or my doctor. This was my first (unexpected) pregnancy and I had very little knowledge of what was normal, what to expect etc.

About a week after that scan I started to have spotting (various friends told me this was quite normal) which within 24hrs became cramping, which suddenly became quite severe, and (I am quite sure) I then passed the feotus (a small sac looking thing, maybe bit bigger than 50c piece, kind of purplish in colour). I was really upset by this (unexpectedly so, as I was really still getting over the shock of being pregnant) and just wanted to be by myself, and cried etc.

I thought that was that, and even going to my GP 2 days later, came away thinking it was done. However by the end of that day I had started to cramp - extremely painfully, getting worse and worse. (I've been through some tough sporting endurance events in the past - yet here I was curled up on the floor in agony) and then the bleeding started. Not just bleeding, but gushing, and big chunks of jelly-like dark red stuff - taking up most of my palm. This happened on and off for several hours, and was just awful. Eventually subsided and I crashed into bed - I was exhausted. Luckily I was at home, unfortunately I was by myself and my partner interstate on work. Very lonely feeling, and unpleasant and painful - also quite emotional.

Next day same thing happened at about the same time of day - more painful cramps, and more extensive bleeding. Spoke with my GP who said - hospital, and so in alot of pain I drove myself there. Triage were great and put me into a bed immediately, where not long later the doctor came - A young freckle faced guy that looked not a day over 17 with earing and flouro pink sneakers! Wow. I'm not in any way ageist, but honestly, that was tough to deal with. Saying he'd check with the consultant doctor about whether or not next course of action would be D&C, and it could be either him or the consultant that did it, off he went. Some 30 minutes later I'm still waiting for him to come back, have a really strong cramp coming on, am in a terrible emotional state, and am thinking there is no way I'm letting this kid do a D&C on me, and I basically stormed out, and said see ya later I'll take my chances.

Not very mature, but I think it is not a rational state of mind at such a time. Lots more bleeding that night, but it seemed to be lessening and speaking to my GP next day, she suggested if it was settling down I could wait a few more days and have another U/s to check whether D&C was still needed - it turned out it wasn't, all was clear.

I was terribly upset - grieving I guess - for weeks. My partner couldn't quite understand it, although he was very supportive, and to be honest either could I. I didn't think I'd even bonded with this bub, and I was devastated. It took me several months to get over it, and it still brings a pretty big lump to my throat and the threat of tears when I think about it.

There were very few people who knew I was pregnant, and the few friends I told about it were generally very off-handed - 'oh yeah I had 3 m/c before my first baby was born' type reaction. It may be a common thing, but I think it can still be very difficult situation to go through for some people.

Anyway, I feel for anyone who is going through it, or has recently been through it, and I just wanted to put my experience down on paper as I was so grateful at the time to be able to read about others experiences going through m/c.

Wishing good health to all, and I think (for me) it was important to keep looking forward, moving forward. Takes some time to accept what has happened, and it most probably happened for a reason, and look forward to what the future holds.

Also a big thank you to everyone else who has shared their stories, it really helped me. (and I think - like others have found - it often helps with healing to write it down too)

#8 undermyfeet

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

****MAYBE TOO MUCH INFO FOR SOME*****

Hi Sparkl, thanks for your reply.
I now have more to add as well.
I thought it was all going well ( i only have my last time to compare with and so I do) thought it was pretty much over and done with. I had been bleeding for a week with clots and it had died off but then come back a little.
Last night 4.30pm I was getting pains and cramping, bent over a few tears whilst trying to cook dinner, had to lie down etc. I got up to go to the toilet and gush, out quite a large clot (dark red liver looking) came out, and quite a bit of bright red blood. Then I got into the shower to try and ease the back ache. After I got out of the shower blood started to pour out of me, I filled a night time pad in about  minutes so gae up on that and went for a cloth nappy. DH took me to the hospital and we waited for 1.5hr and the bleeding eased so they said that I could go home. I thought that compared to last time the clot was large enough and that would be it.
I got up this morning and went to class. At about 12.00 I felt a gush and thought ok a bit more is coming out the Dr said that might happen, went back to class (only 2 of us in it rural) I started to get cramps again. not as bad as last night so that was ok. I drove home, and told DH it was about as good as yesterday. Got into the shower and clots started to come out again. A bit of blood, then I had an urge to push. I caught a mandarine size lump of tissue in the palm of my hand. It kind of looks like a small heart with a liver attached to it and its spongy.
I am happy that it is now finally over, I feel ok emotionally but next time I am going straight for a D&C the waiting and not knowing what to expect is too much for me.
I also find that miscarriage is a bit of a taboo subject unless you are the first to say hey this is what happened to me. I also think that health professionals are reluctant to say too much or tell you what to expect.

Thanks ladies for your replies
I hope this helps someone as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.