Does your mum/MIL freak out when your baby cries?
Should their anxiety be greater than mine?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Hooray Henry

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

My Mum is better with crying babies than I am, but sadly lives interstate so I miss out.   She is happy to cuddle and settle an upset infant for as long as it takes.  I wish she lived closer.

#27 AryaStar

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 23/04/2012, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it's not 'their generation' so no sympathy needed. original.gif  Since I am that generation as are many of my peers who care for their grandchildren on a daily basis quite calmly and competently, I can assure you it is a personal thing.

Meggs can correct me if I'm wrong but I think she meant that parents nowadays are lucky to have so much more access to information about babies and their cognitive and physical development and understand that there could be any number of reasons why a baby might be unsettled and fussy whereas our mothers and grandmothers seem to attribute all crying to wind or teething for the most part.

I don't think she was saying that all women of a certain generation are hysterical and incompetent when dealing with babies. You guys did an awesome job. You raised us.  biggrin.gif

Edited by Shady Lane, 23 April 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#28 Bluenomi

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

I found MIL was terrible. Mum was ok but she had babies of her own much more recently and lots of little nieces around so she can remember what babies are like. MIL hasn't have to deal with a baby since BIL was one 30 years ago!

For the first 3 months everytime DD cried it was colic or wind. Every time. Never mind she was due a feed or had a dirty nappy, it had to be colic or wind. After 3 months everything was due to teething. She didn't get any teeth until 10 months but yet accordig to MIL they were bothering her from 3 months.

She got better when her friends started becoming grandparents and she spend time with other babies. I think she remembered how much they do cry.

She still dolled out the breastfeeding advice though wink.gif I never bothered listening, she never breastfed a day in her life so didn't really know what she was on about

#29 treefalls

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Diana_Barry @ 22/04/2012, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still, they're absolute best friends and it is so adorable.  DP and I joke about having our feelings hurt - when DS is with his Grandma and either of us try to take him, or kiss him, or engage him in any way, he literally reaches out a hand and pushes us away.  He doesn't see her that often, you'd think he'd forget or take some time to warm up to her, but she appears and his whole face lights up and we lose him until she buggers off home again.  

So yes, not only did we feel like our parenting was being questioned all along, now his behaviour suggests that he knows she's the only one who loves him properly wink.gif

Totally! My son pretty much prefers his grandparents over us, he gets so much attention from them! It really is great that my kids have them.

I suppose what I was really wondering is whether or not I should be as worried as they suggest? Should I be cutting things out of my diet and and 'buying into' the panic. After reading what everyone here has posted I feel a lot more concrete in my own assessment of how things really are. But yesterday was the first time I really worried about her crying as I couldn't do anything to settle her!

QUOTE (bertiemum @ 23/04/2012, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Mum is better with crying babies than I am, but sadly lives interstate so I miss out.   She is happy to cuddle and settle an upset infant for as long as it takes.  I wish she lived closer.

Thanks for sharing that Bertiemum, I really hope I don't sound like I'm complaining because it's so great to have the support that I do. It's just amazing to me that my mum will do whatever it takes, too... She will walk her and rock her endlessly, but at the same time you can see her tension rising and rising and more and more talk about, "What's wrong? What's wrong?" in the hope that somehow we're going to figure it out!!  rolleyes.gif ....I think the question she should really be asking herself is, "How I can I prevent myself from feeling like this again?" - but the answer to that lies within herself, not with my boobs!

#30 mum201

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

With us it's my grandmother. I find it annoying to go to my mums because every time he is the tiniest bit unsettled she says 'oh you must be hungry'. This is the call for me to action this sage advice even if baby ate 30 mins prior and I have said 5 times that it's because he is overstimulated and due for a nap. Aaaaaaahhhhh

#31 PigNewton

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Meggs can correct me if I'm wrong but I think she meant that parents nowadays are lucky to have so much more access to information about babies and their cognitive and physical development and understand that there could be any number of reasons why a baby might be unsettled and fussy whereas our mothers and grandmothers seem to attribute all crying to wind or teething for the most part.

Thing is, that leads to a whole nother kind of hysteria...it's why you get posters on here saying that they never go anywhere in the car because their baby might cry, stress, cortisol, blah blah, can't put their baby down for a single second because they might cry, stress, cortisol, blah blah, can't let baby entertain themselves because they might cry, can't let someone else babysit, because baby might cry, stress, permanent issues blah blah.
Sometimes too much knowledge is just as bad as not enough....I tend to think that the stressed out mothers and MIL's would do just as much freaking out if they had their babies now, they would just find different justifications for it and we'd be calling them helicopter parents. The more laid back mums would be the same whether they had their kids now or 35 years ago.
FTR both my mum and MIL aren't worried by crying babies at all, but MIL ran family daycare for 0-2 year olds, and my mum had twins 2 years after me, and one of them had reflux. Lots of crying for both of them, so they aren't fazed. My mum mentioned wind, but only in passing...apparently when she was in hospital all the mums had roast with cabbage one night, and every baby on the ward was screaming for hours, so she told me to be cautious with cabbage, turned out she was right!

#32 sjm218

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Funny I never thoughtvabout this until I read your post....my sisters (in their 50s) are like this with regard to wind etc. My mum who had 8 children herself can stand my kids crying and will do anything to stop including feeding ice cream to my 5 1/2 month old (good girl spat it out!). I put my mums feelings down to the fact that she doesn't need to be the parent with rules etc, she just gets to love and comfort them.

My sisters Are most likely the same. I guess I was lucky in that it didn't get to me at all, I just thought it odd that my pretty windlesss bubbies suddenly got it everyvtime they visited!

#33 GoldenBlack

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

My MIL does not freak out, but she does think the baby cries because she hates her!  And she gets very stressed about it, worrying what she is doing wrong, saying 'Oh, she just doesn't like me'.

Both she and my mother cannot quite believe the howling is due to being overtired and worry that the kidlet is ill, but seem a bit better at taking on board my constant repetition of: She's tired, she just needs a nap, and you people are SO much more interesting than a nap that she's refusing to.

I have no idea what to do about the constant 'The baby hates me!' comments though, ugh.

#34 Soontobegran

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Shady Lane @ 23/04/2012, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think she was saying that all women of a certain generation are hysterical and incompetent when dealing with babies. You guys did an awesome job. You raised us.  biggrin.gif

I guess it depends on what age group they are and perhaps their background. original.gif
I know I had access to lots of information but that was perhaps because I worked in the field but I (56) did come from an incredibly cruisy mum (86) and nana (would be 104) who took to mothering like ducks to water and I remember my mum being convinced that colic was a problem of the mother and not the baby. My mum demand fed when others had 'routine', she BF all babies until the next one arrived...she was a bit of a rebel for her time.

I do agree though with redkris. I think there is an information overload these days courtesy of the WWW. I think it has actually had a negative effect on many young mums ability to mother in a way that is right for her and her baby. sad.gif

Like I said in a PP, I feel as though I am the person my kids come to reassure them of normality, whether that is because I have always been a mellow type of mum or because of my job?
Either way I am happy to be anyone's go to girl original.gif

#35 AryaStar

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (redkris @ 23/04/2012, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thing is, that leads to a whole nother kind of hysteria...

The more laid back mums would be the same whether they had their kids now or 35 years ago.

I actually think you are onto something here. For me I find all the info about baby development etc quite reassuring because it means that sometimes my baby is simply going to cry, I'm not necessarily going to know why, it has nothing to do with my "failure" as a mother, it is not uncommon, I don't need to have all the answers and all I can do is my best to try and comfort them as required.

Yet the very same information in someone else's hands can lead to a completely different interpretation, and the kind of over-anxious response that you are talking about. That's the catch-22. Knowledge is power. But too much knowledge can be dangerous because it has the capacity to create more anxiety than it alleviates.

#36 zogee

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (redkris @ 23/04/2012, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thing is, that leads to a whole nother kind of hysteria...it's why you get posters on here saying that they never go anywhere in the car because their baby might cry, stress, cortisol, blah blah, can't put their baby down for a single second because they might cry, stress, cortisol, blah blah, can't let baby entertain themselves because they might cry, can't let someone else babysit, because baby might cry, stress, permanent issues blah blah.
Sometimes too much knowledge is just as bad as not enough....I tend to think that the stressed out mothers and MIL's would do just as much freaking out if they had their babies now, they would just find different justifications for it and we'd be calling them helicopter parents. The more laid back mums would be the same whether they had their kids now or 35 years ago.
FTR both my mum and MIL aren't worried by crying babies at all, but MIL ran family daycare for 0-2 year olds, and my mum had twins 2 years after me, and one of them had reflux. Lots of crying for both of them, so they aren't fazed. My mum mentioned wind, but only in passing...apparently when she was in hospital all the mums had roast with cabbage one night, and every baby on the ward was screaming for hours, so she told me to be cautious with cabbage, turned out she was right!

I completely agree with this!!  original.gif I am lucky in that I haven't so far had many times where my baby has cried or been unsettled for more than an hour or so, and I know I would find that pretty stressful. Good on you for being so cool, calm and collected!

But I do understand what you mean OP, my MIL always asks what's wrong the minute either of my kids makes a peep. I also do believe that wind and colic exists  ph34r.gif but I don't think there's much you can do about it!

Edited by zogee, 24 April 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#37 Relish*

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Ah yes my Mum does this and it drives me nuts! There's NOTHING I can say, no expert I can quote that will get her to stop the passive aggressive stuff - talking to the baby but aiming the message at me sort of thing. I'm spending the day with Mum tomorrow and am quietly dreading it! (Even though she'll probably help me with my housework and I am grateful for that!)

It's very difficult but try not to let it grate on you, from now on I'm going to take a deep breath and brush it off where I can, or just tell her straight up 'I get the feeling you're trying to imply I'm doing the wrong thing by DS, but I really feel comfortable with how we're going, so perhaps if you relax a bit you'll find being with us less stressful'.  Mum hates confrontation so this should get her back in her box a bit! Good luck!

#38 Velvetta

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

My littlest is 3 and a half years but  last time mum was over she thought he looked red in the cheeks and before I knew it, she had her fingers in his mouth feeling for new teeth!!

I pretty much gagged myself.

Have definitely been told about the wind/colic/gas thing for all 5 of mine from birth.

Mum's other thing is sun in their eyes. She has gone to great lengths and acrobatics in the car trying to shade them if the sun is on their face for 30 metres/ 10 seconds or more. We'll be driving along and suddenly she'll launch her self from the front seat over the back to try to hold up a newspaper or her cardie to shield them from the burning death rays .
Mum, they can close their eyes...

Better I suppose than one who doesn't care, or the type that say "Let 'em cry"

Edited by Dorothea, 25 April 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#39 Flutter Bug

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Oh dear OP, my Mum is the same!

Except she does this irritating thing of  talking 'through' my child instead of talking to me.

For example, if DD is crying she'll say something to her like "oh, what did we feed Mummy tonight that's upset your tummy" (I'm BF too)! Ahh, drives me mental!

She insists that we (myself and 3 sisters) didn't ever cry so she doesn't know what to do with a crying baby! I find this hard to believe so maybe they just don't remember!  She finds it very difficult to listen to any amount of whingeing or crying whereas I can cope with it a bit better (if Mum's not around that is). The endess "what's wrong, what's wrong" drives me crazy.

But like you I am so grateful for the endless amount of help and support I get from her that I find it hard to complain. I haven't said anything to her but my anxiety levels do escalate if she is around when DD is unsettled or crying.  And I'm sure it makes DD worse, babies definitely pick up on the anxiety and tension.

Take deep breaths, someone taught me to 'breath in the calm and blow out the worry', it helps!!

I'm really of no help, just thought you'd like to know you're not alone!

#40 LifesGood

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Normal, normal, normal.

Your baby sounds like they are behaving in a normal, new baby way.

Your mum and MIL sound like they are behaving in a normal grandparent way.

You sound like you are reacting in a normal mummy way.

I had the exact same situation with DD when she was a new bub. You just need to roll your eyes to yourself and try to ignore them.

#41 treefalls

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Dorothea @ 25/04/2012, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mum's other thing is sun in their eyes. She has gone to great lengths and acrobatics in the car trying to shade them if the sun is on their face for 30 metres/ 10 seconds or more. We'll be driving along and suddenly she'll launch her self from the front seat over the back to try to hold up a newspaper or her cardie to shield them from the burning death rays .

roll2.gif Ahhh! I'd forgotten she does this one too!!!.... We won't talk about whether or not seat belts remained fastened, either  unsure.gif

I'm usually pretty good at remaining cool, but I guess that was one of those days where it WASN'T going to happen.
huge THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SHARED - I feel SO much better!!! Really gotta love EB for this kind of support, there's nothing else like it biggrin.gif

#42 chicken_bits

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

YES!!! I thought it was just me! My mum was babysitting DD when she was 10 weeks and timed her screaming then felt the need to tell me how long it was. She's a gp and she basically forced me to go to the doctor and put her on reflux meds. We tried it for 3 days to appease her and of course it made no difference. Babies cry! Plus I think my mum stressing out makes DD cry more! I was so mad at myself for giving into her. Next time I'll trust my instincts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.