What time of day did you go into labour?

40 replies to this topic

#1 SusieBlue

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of DD. When I wake up in the morning, my first thought tends to be 'another night gone', and I stop thinking about the prospect of labour for that day - I guess because I have heard anecdotally that most labours happen at night. I was wondering what time of day you went into labour/things started happening? Is there anyone out there with a labour starting during the day?

For DS, my waters broke at 5pm, and then I woke up having contractions at 2am the next morning. He was born just before 1pm.

#2 Glitterz

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

We started having contractions around 7am in the morning, DD was born that day.  Hope you go in labour soon and safe arrival of DD.

Edited by Glitterz, 21 April 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#3 Missmarymack

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

I had twinges at 10pm and then woke to regular contractions at midnight

#4 irises

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

I had my son two days ago. First light pains started in the morning and became regular by the arvo. He was born at 9.45pm.

Daughter my waters broke at around 7pm and light contactions didn't start til over 30 hours later in the middle of the night. She was born at midday.

I was surprised to be labouring in the day with my son, as I had thought the same as you - that it was much more likely to start happening at night.

#5 Luvmy4ferals

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

My 3 spontaneous labours all started at night...3.50am, 11.40 pm & 11.10pm

#6 Leha

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Both night labours for me.

DD waters broke at 830pm contractions starting about an hour later. DD born by emergency c/s at 1130am.

DS I was lying in bed unable to sleep. At about midnight started aging tightenings. By 1am realised they were regular. DS born at 720am

#7 Princess Bubblegum

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Mine all started at night too. DD's started at 11pm (water broke getting into bed), both DS started around midnight.

#8 Ireckon

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

#1: woke at 6am, first contraction at 6.30am. Gave birth at 10.10am that day
#2: first contraction at 4.30pm, gave birth that night at 1.05am
#3 was induced at 9.30am. First contraction was about 15 minutes after they broke my waters, gave birth at 5.30pm that afternoon.

To be fair, with #2, I went into labour about 15 minutes after gettting a phone call that FIL was going in for more surgery the next day. He had terminal cancer, and every operation had about a 65% chance he wouldn't make it through..so was really upset, which may or may not have triggered labour. It was my EDD anyway.

#9 BreezaH

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

With DS1 waters broke at 1.30am, contractions started immediately. He was born at 8:45am.

DS2, contractions started at 6pm. My waters broke at 8.05pm, he arrived at 9.16pm.

#10 c4a79

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

I woke at 430am to contractions that I could sort of doze through.  Had DD at 1120pm that night.

#11 FeralDivine

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Waters broke at 2am on the dot, with DD(born 24 hours and 39 mins later) biggrin.gif

Edited by Divine53, 21 April 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#12 wannabe30

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

First twinges at about 6pm. Established labour by 7:30pm. I laboured all night and DS finally arrived at about 9am. I wasn't happy about it, because I had had a really busy day and was looking forward to an early night.

My sister went into labour at 8am and delivered at 6pm. I thought that was very civilised - basically a standard work day.

Edited by wannabe30, 21 April 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#13 MGB

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I woke to contractions at 3am and had DD at 1pm the following day.

#14 Jekaho

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

After two days of prelabour and no sleep, active labour (contractions bang on 3 mins apart) began at 7:30am (it had been about 2am that they had gotten 5-10 mins regularly). Bub wasn't born til 12:07am (so over 16 hours later)

#15 aurora sleeping

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Waters broke when I got up from the couch on a Friday at 5:30pm (should have stayed there lol!).

Established labour by 9:30pm, pushing at 2am, DS born at 2:20am. Fast for a first one!!!

#16 *maddierose*

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

dd1 contractions started at 9am, laboured throughout the day and she was born at 5.50pm

dd2 (induced) born at 11:52am

ds1 contractions started lightly before lunch, waters broke around 2:30pm he was born at 6:50pm

ds2 had slight contractions throughout the day starting from around 1pm, more prelabour. 11pm waters broke and he was born at 2:53am

Only one child i laboured throughout the night.

#17 liveworkplay

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

4am (born 28 hrs 17 min later)and 830pm (born 5 hours 5 minutes later)

Edited by liveworkplay, 21 April 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#18 Belu

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

DS first twinges were 8:00am in the morning, decided I was in labour at 4ish, he was born at 8:35pm.
DD first twinges at 3:00pm, decided I was in labour at 9:30pm, waters broke at 10, DD arrived 10:15pm.
Both of mine were day labours original.gif

#19 R2B2

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Son I was induced around 7am he was born at almost midnight.
Daughter I woke at 6am with twinges. she was born at 5pm.

#20 Rainbow Brite

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

My waters broke at 4.30am and contractions started straight away although fairly lightly.  Full contractions started at 9am and bubs was born just after midnight.  I had an EPI in the afternoon so that slowed the labour down a bit.

#21 spottydog

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

My waters broke at 11.50pm on the Friday night and my DD was born at 2am on the Sunday morning original.gif

Good luck.

spotty.

#22 Lightning_bug

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

My waters broke at 5am on a Sunday.  I didn't ever go into proper labour.  Although I had mild-contractions 5mins apart, 1min long.  For 30hours!  

Aparently I'm one of those small percentage of women who can feel the first-stage contractions from the start.  The ones most women don't feel.  Lucky me glare.gif

#23 Kafkaesque

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

I woke at 4am with contractions.

#24 1miss2littlemen

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

With DD I was induced but had starting having contractions 10 mins aprart at 2:30am and she was born at 4:42pm
with DS my waters broke at 2:30 pm, I had gotten off the bus only 1 hour earlyer!! And he was born at 2:30am LOL

#25 LoveMy3Kids

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

All three of mine started at night. The first was sometime before midnight, the other two were just before dinner.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.