How early can/did you transfer to a bed?
Expecting No2 is it too early for a bed.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 KHK

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Just wondering when you transferred your toddler to a bed.  I am currently pregnant with number 2 and my DS will be a 16 months old if I go full term but it might be earlier since DS was born at 34 weeks.

I have a basinette which I will use but since we will be moving DS to a new room was thinking it might be better to try and put him in a bed as well?  You can buy toddler beds but I don't really want to buy one and then a bed.  I certainly don't want to get another cot.

Any experience appreciated.

#2 judy_

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

WE did it at 20 months.  wish we'd done it earlier as his sleep improved immediately.  (after the novelty of teh first night where he thought it was amazing that he could get out).

#3 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

11months - the cot base somehow got lost between being packed into the container in the UK and unpacked in Aus and we didn't see the point in paying out for a new cot as she is the last one. She did fine, better in fact as she was a terrible cot sleeper with thrashing around and stretched out sideways sleeping causing her to head bash and get arms/legs stuck. Moving her to a King Single gave her the room to wiggle as she wished, she went from 10-12 night wakings down to 6-7 within a day or two!

If you are going to move him I suggest you do it sooner rather than nearer or after the baby arrives as some kids can feel pushed out as their bed is now for the new baby, and seeing as its already a huge change to suddenly have a new baby around its better to minimise other changes.

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

DS2 was 19 months.  We moved house when DD was 6 weeks old and when we moved into the new house, he went into the bed and she went into the cot.

DS1 was also under 2, but wasn't such a sudden move, and DD was 2y5m, and again we moved house.

R

#5 aratiaw

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

15 months, because she was showing signs of being able to climb out of the cot and we didn't want her falling. We put the cot base + mattress on the floor as her bed, so it was very low.

#6 WibbleWobble

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

About 20 months for DD. We wanted there to be enough time between her moving out of her cot and DS moving in.

#7 Tesseract

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

We just moved DD 13 months our of her cot because she hates it. King single mattress on the floor. She sleeps on a mat at childcare so I don't see it as a big deal. It has taken a few nights for her to get used to it but that's to be expected.

#8 TotesAmazeballs

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

We plan on doing it around DDs first birthday. That will be 2 months before this bub is due.
I've picked one out from Ikea that is a toddler bed but actually extends into a normal single bed as well.

#9 damosmum

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

we put DD in her King Single bed when she was about 12 months old.

We laid her down in her Grobag and had a bed rail, never had a problem, to this day she adores her bed.

#10 mum2twogirls

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

I have never understood the rush in hurrying our babies to sleep in beds  

Suppose I'm lucky that all my 3 were never climbers

#1 moved at 3
#2 moved at 3 1/2
#3 still in cot at age 2 1/2 ... Only have just removed grobag

#11 roses99

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

We moved our son at 18 months. He's been co-sleeping with us from 12 months (started when we moved for the third time in a matter of months and he just wouldn't sleep in the cot) and we didn't want to transition him back to a cot after that length of time.

He transitioned pretty well, although he continued to come into our bed in the wee, small hours.

Our DD, on the other hand, is a wonderful sleeper. She loves her cot and, as she's in a grobag, hasn't made any attempts to escape it. She'll stay in it as long as she's sleeping well. I always thought I'd put her in a bed in DS's room when she was about 18 months. But now I'm of the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mind-set.

Just bear in mind that you run the risk of creating bedtime dramas! It might work out well, or it might be a horrible, sleepless nightmare for you all. It's hard to tell what it'll be like.

#12 B-B-M

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

14 months (she was a climber). She was fine, never had a "settling" in period or anything. Put her in the first night and she slept in it laughing2.gif

#13 Wyn99

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

I have 3 under 5. At age 2.5 I removed the side off my kids' cots. Then at 3 they got a single bed. I actually bought a 2nd cot off ebay (as my kids are close in age) - best decision I made.

#14 Mrs_Mystery_Guest

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

I moved DS1 when he was 18 mths. It was a disaster. I just moved DS2 two nights ago and he is 2mths off 3. No probs at all and happy to sleep in a bed. If I have anymore kids I will leave moving to a bed tiil near 3.

#15 soontobegran

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

I'm an 'if it isn't broken don't fix it type of person' Our toddlers were more than happy to be in their cots and I saw no reason to get them out.
I had 3 cots going at one stage. I think they were all in cots for at least 2.5-3 years.
Those who climbed out just did. original.gif

#16 TJ1

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

DS1 at 16 months- no dramas, we had a bub that was a month old then so used the cot for bub, ds2 at 14 months- no dramas. DS1 is now 2yrs 9 months and fully toilet trained and I can't even imagine him still being in a cot at his age.. I go by the saying the earlier you transition, then they don't know any different and so there is no trying to climb out or getting attached to the cot

#17 Luvmy4

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

DS1 was about 15 months as DS2 was due at 18 months & we wanted DS1 all settled before time. We had a bed rail  & he was fine.
DD1 was 11 months again with a bed rail. This was done in desperation as she just wouldnt sleep & would climb out of her cot anyway mad.gif .We had a waterbed so couldnt co-sleep in our bed. I thought at least I could sleep with her in her bed & get some sleep. We had our best nights sleep from her the first night...4 hours straight although she was 4 1/2 before she slept through  wacko.gif

#18 PerthFembo

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

Was stalking this thread as planning a 2 year age gap, but am AMAZED at how early some PP's kids took to a bed!

How does that work? Do you have a baby gate at the door so they can't get into the rest of the house if they get up? Do they not get into everything in their room? Or is their room 100% baby proof and they just play nicely?

My DD (just gone 12 months) pulls all her clothes out of the drawers, pulls everything out of the cupboards etc if she's left alone in her bedroom for 2 seconds....Not to mention I can't imagine her actually staying in her bed any time soon

#19 lozoodle

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

I moved my DD at 27 months. I would have done it earlier, but we were renovating and I didn't have a room for her yet!

Poor DD2 spent the first four months of her life in the portacot in our room Tounge1.gif

#20 bella_75

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

My DD is 21 months and is still in the cot, it is a Boori so it is big. She seems happy so not in a rush to move her. She loves to play for a little while before she sleeps and again in the morning, so she can do that safely in her cot too, we are concerned about her getting out of bed and exploring at night! original.gif

#21 IsolaBella

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Another who waited until later.

22m between the boys and I got a 2nd cot. DS1 was happy in his cot and it was very comforting to know that he was contained in his cot in the morning until I went to get him (especially since when he moved to a bed he started being a 5.30am waker rather then a 7-8am waker). He never tried to climb out. We transitioned to a single bed at 33m taking the side off the cot and moving to a single bed at 36m.

DS2 was 2yrs 4m when DD arrived so he moved straight to a single bed (he also started to share a room with DS1).

DD is 2.25yrs and we have no plans on moving her out of the cot.

#22 Rumply

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

We moved our DS into a bed about a a month ago, he was 20 months.

I am also expected #2 in July, so I thought giving it a nice big gap between the new bed and the baby taking his cot would remove the association. Fingers crossed this works.

I went and got a bunk bed from Fantastic Furniture. I have set up the top bunk only which has rails all the way around it with an opening to get in and out. There is very little threat of him falling out.

Only on 2 occassions has he been so upset that he has climbed out and both these times we had the port-a-cot set up and we put him in that for the rest of the night. Have had to do some CC to get him to sleep... but he does have sleep issues still and frequent waking, so that is a whole other kettle of fish.

Good luck!!

#23 PerthFembo

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Rumply @ 26/04/2012, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We moved our DS into a bed about a a month ago, he was 20 months.

I am also expected #2 in July, so I thought giving it a nice big gap between the new bed and the baby taking his cot would remove the association. Fingers crossed this works.

I went and got a bunk bed from Fantastic Furniture. I have set up the top bunk only which has rails all the way around it with an opening to get in and out. There is very little threat of him falling out.

Only on 2 occassions has he been so upset that he has climbed out and both these times we had the port-a-cot set up and we put him in that for the rest of the night. Have had to do some CC to get him to sleep... but he does have sleep issues still and frequent waking, so that is a whole other kettle of fish.

So your not quite 2 year old sleeps on the top bed of a bunk bed?? Or did you mean to say you only set up the bottom bunk?

#24 Ruffles

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 20/04/2012, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm an 'if it isn't broken don't fix it type of person' Our toddlers were more than happy to be in their cots and I saw no reason to get them out.
I had 3 cots going at one stage. I think they were all in cots for at least 2.5-3 years.
Those who climbed out just did. original.gif

I'm with STBG.

I had a similar age gap to you, OP.  (15 months).  Personally I found it much easier to have DD "confined" to a cot.  It meant at times I knew she was safe playing in her cot while I was doing things with the baby.  I could choose when to get her up after a sleep, rather than have her come out whenever she wanted to.

Hoever my DD was very happy in her cot  and slept well.  I might have done it differently if there were issues.

DD was almost 3 when she moved straight into a big bed, with no rails or anything.

#25 Becstarinator

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

14 months.  Before that DS was sleeping in a port-a-cot.  Santa brought his toddler bed to him.  Upgraded to a full size bed at about 2.5 years old.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.