Dont know that im going to do with DS
Loves the road/ water/ bush

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Retro_Mumma_*

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Had a bit of a cry on the way home from the park today, im sort of at a loss of what to do with my DS 18months.

Today I look him to the park and like everyday he whinged the whole way there because he doesnt like sitting in his pram/ trike. By the time we had go to the park it had developed into a full blown tantrum.

When I let him out he was happy but like always he ran straight for the road. It happens every time I take him somewhere. While all the other kids are happy sitting there eating their lunch or playing on the grass/ play equipment DS is trying to jump into a lake if there is a lake , run into bush if there is bush around or his favourite thing - run out onto the road.

Yesterday I took him to a park with a fence around it and the first thing he did is try to find a way to get out of the gate and onto the road.

When I say stop he looks at me laughs and keeps running and when I start going after him he runs faster. If I say or even yell stop stop he just keeps on running. He doesnt listen to me.

I had a little cry on the way home because here are all of these parents having a chat while their kids are happily playing on the play equipment or eating their lunch and here is DS throwng and tantrum and the second I let him out of his pram/ trike he is off trying to run on the road with me chasing after him yelling stop stop.

Im starting to get really upset and worried because im pregnant and im only going to get bigger and slower. Im worried im not going to be quick enough and then when I have a newborn then what am I going to do? I cant dump my newborn to chase after my toddler.

Other than staying at home all day for the next few years I dont know what else to do.

Any advice?

#2 Kay1

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

You poor thing. sad.gif

I would get a harness/backpack type thing and make him wear that. Trial him off it and if he runs away you explain now he has to wear it. Or you could strap him back in the pram for a few minutes each time he runs off. Stressful though and really he's so young it will take a while for him to 'learn'.

The good news is it will get easier as he gets older as you can really teach him consequences (eg. run off go in the pram). Until then it might be that you just have to pick places that are securely fenced.  

What do you think attracts him to the road? If its because he loves cars then maybe try bringing some cars for him to play with at the park? Maybe the next few times you go take some toys and as soon as you arrive try to sit down and play with him for a while. It could be that he is trying to get your attention by running away.

Sorry, probably not much help, just brainstorming - I do know how it feels to have the child who is crying and screaming while everyone else is able to enjoy a get together.

#3 scooty

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I would start putting some sort of punishment into place. I know it doesn't sound like fun, but I would threaten to take him home everytime he started to 'play up' and throw tantrums, run on the road etc. Once he had been given a few warnings, then say to him, in your own words....Mummy asked you not to go on the road/yell at me like that/eat your lunch, and take him home to whatever naughty corner or time out place you have (even if you just arrived). He will quickly learn that you are the boss and will take away the fun from his day out if he doesn't listen to you. You need him to learn you are in charge before number 2 comes along.

I do have been doing this for a few years now with my DS and he does know I mean business. I have left his friends houses, turned around from the park or put back the toy I would have bought him at the shop, if he was getting too outta hand.

Thats all I got! Good luck, it's soooo hard.

#4 belindarama

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I don't know if will work for you but I was having a problem with DS1 going near the road at the closest park to us. I wanted it to be an option as it is just across the road. No fences though.

So I set boundaries for him, don't go off this part of the grass behind this bench etc. if he strayed near a no go area I reminded him of the rules. If he kept going we immediately left and went home.

It took probably 6 times before he got it and he screamed the whole way home each time. I just kept repeating we are leaving because you didn't stay in the safe area.

Now, at 5 it wouldn't even occur to him to go into those bits of the park. It has become second nature. I didn't need to do it with DS2 because he follows his big brother's lead.

DS1 had really good language skills at that age though. I am not sure it would work if your little one doesn't have the comprehension at that level yet.

I hope you find an answer.

Edited by belindarama, 20 April 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#5 MuppetGirl

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

This is probably extremely poor parenting in the EB world but we had a runner, our DD could slip her hand out of yours not matter how tight you had her and she was off in a flash, she is also a very fast runner and she was even at the age of 2. It wasn't a massive problem for me though until I was heavily pregnant again.

My MIL, a teacher, gave us an idea and while we were reluctant to try it, we ended up doing it and it worked a treat.

We got a box of smarties, went in to the backyard and showed her the smarties. We told her she got a smartie everytime she stopped as soon as we yelled STOP. So she would be playing out the back, running around and every now and then one of us would yell STOP. The first few times she didn't of course but when she realised she wasn't getting any smarties she started stopping.

Once she got the hang of doing it at home I trialled it while out at the park and it was brilliant. Of course for the first few park visits I took some smarties but in no time at all it just became normal for her to stop and not need anything.

She is still wildly active, runs for miles if we let her (at age 5 now) but she has more road sense now anyway original.gif

This option may seem off to some but when the safety of your child is your main concern I say do what works.

#6 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (MahnaMahna @ 20/04/2012, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We got a box of smarties, went in to the backyard and showed her the smarties. We told her she got a smartie everytime she stopped as soon as we yelled STOP. So she would be playing out the back, running around and every now and then one of us would yell STOP. The first few times she didn't of course but when she realised she wasn't getting any smarties she started stopping.

Once she got the hang of doing it at home I trialled it while out at the park and it was brilliant. Of course for the first few park visits I took some smarties but in no time at all it just became normal for her to stop and not need anything.

haha, love it. I know its not pc to say but teaching kids is actually a lot like training a puppy.

#7 Mose

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

I agree with PPs on showing that there are consequences of his actions.  He is young, so it will take a while, but he will get it!

Our house has an annoying lay-out, so it has not been practical to make a barrier from the room with the tv in it to the bottom of the stairs.  So most of the time we play in the other living area, which has a gate across the entrance way, which is next to the bottom of the stairs.  

Since he learned to crawl at 10mo, DS would always leave the family room and try and head up the stairs on his own.  Each time he did it we instantly put him on the other side of the closed safety gate (i.e. in the secure room, but usually he would be on his own unless one of us was already in there) and then we would "go back to what we were doing" (i.e. walk back to the couch, he can still see us, we only ever gave it about 10 -15 seconds), and then we would go back and get him, and remind him he isn't allowed to go up the stairs on his own.

It took months, so we basically didn't watch tv with him most of the time until about 14mo he suddenly got it, when I had thought he never would!  Now we can have the gate open, he will wander between rooms, and only stop at the bottom of the stairs and say NO most of the time.  Of course I wouldn't go far enough away that I couldn't get to him and stop him before het gets past stair 1 or 2, but he has definitely learned the lesson, and on the rare occasion now he does start up on his own he knows there is a consequence - that and it usually means that he wants to go to bed!!  

Consistency and persistence were key.

Love the smartie idea!

#8 Kay1

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Ha! I think that's gold! original.gif

#9 PigNewton

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Harness was my first thought....I had a runner too.

I do like the Smarties idea though original.gif

#10 belindarama

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Teaching him stop is also important. I didn't use the smarties but it is a good idea.

I just used to say stop in a loud voice and put my hands on their shoulders to stop them gently. They soon got what stop meant. Worked with both of my boys before 18 months.

#11 lady lady

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Love the smarties idea!!

OP we have the same problem with water ... DD (17 months) has no fear what so ever.  At the beach she just keeps walking out until her feet can't touch and she's washing around in the white wash LAUGHING!!!!, same as at the local river nearby and take her near a pool she will just go to step in as if she can walk on water .....  very scary at times ...

DH is a surfer so we spend ALOT of time near the beach, never really the relaxing journey for me though!!!! as it's a major tanty to get her out of the water .... I would just like to build sandcastles and relax!!!

I'm truly hoping age will make her wiser and more aware, in the mean time I'm a cat on a hot tin roof as soon as there is water around ...

I would give the smarties trick a go ... I am finding very slowly DD is coming to the age where "occasionally" I can reason with her.....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.