What's wrong with my right boob, DS just doesn't seem to like it?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Emma600

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hi EB ladies,
My DS (5 months) doesn't seem to like my right breast. Not all the time but often enough ..... he fusses and wiggles, it's difficult to get him on and once on he pulls away a lot. There isn't anything different with the right one as far as I can tell.
Any thoughts?

#2 pundelina

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

No thoughts, but my now-very-old DS went through a right-boob-hatred at a similar age! I started feeding him in all sorts of weird positions and he went back to normal about two weeks later.

original.gif

#3 DarkestNight

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Have you tried holding him in the same position, but moving him across to the other breast? Hard to explain, but don't turn him around. Keep him in your right arm.

#4 munchmum

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Maybe he has a stiff neck? I had a friend who had this problem and she took her baby to a physio (or maybe osteo I can't quite remember) and her dd went back to feeding from both sides.

#5 niggles

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

My children have both fussed on my right breast until the are about 4 months old. In my case I think that side has a much faster flow that they can't physically cope with till they are a bit bigger.

Kellymom has a few good articles on side pereference that helped me. Nipple shield was my best remedy for the really bad breast refusals.

#6 mariafitzherbert

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

I had the same problem.  
It turned out that my daughter had a chronic throat abscess which resulted in her having her tonsils out at 10 months.  When she first become fussy on the left side I sought advice from my friend who is a MCHN, a lactation consultant and the ABA helpline  but no-one suggested that it may be a medical problem so perhaps make sure that there is not physical issue first.
Eventually the problem was recognised and I've got her back on both sides but for quite a few months she would mainly take the left side.  I kept up the supply on the right by pumping, feeding her standing and rocking, getting her while sleepy, lots of skin to skin contact and the football hold.
Conventional wisdom says to offer the least popular side first but this never works for us.

#7 lucky 2

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

? something to do with flow.
At what stage of the feed does he do it?
If he does it early in the feed then try some distractions, calming voice or singing/rocking and some gentle breast squeezes/compressions to help milk flow so he waits until let down.
If he does it later in the feed you could keep a close eye on him and when you sense he is about to tug or fuss then do the breast compressions and the milk might flow and ward off the fussing.
Its hard to know, could you give ABA a ring for a chat and ? if it still is an issue then see a LC who can watch a feed?
Otherwise I'd just go with the flow and if he fusses despite trying the above then switch back to the left again and then try the right side again. He may be more calm/satiated by then then be more patient?
I might be way off track but I hope that helped.
All the best.

#8 fairymagic

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

I agree with the stiff neck theory. Might not hurt to get him checked out by a paediatric physio.

The other thing is your letdown on that side may be a little slower than the left so he gets frustrated when it doesn't come as fast as the other side. Perhaps try putting a warm compress on the right side prior to the feed to see if that aids in allowing for faster letdown. Otherwise, if you have a pump, use the pump to start the letdown for him and then put him to the breast.

I was also going to suggest keeping him in the same position as he lays when feeding on the right side. Basically you try and "trick" him into thinking that he is feeding from the left side both times. It can work for some feeds.

Good luck.

#9 MahnaMahna

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Both of my kids had tight muscles on one side of their necks which resulted in them not liking holding or turning their heads one way.

I would suggest a visit to a physio/chiro to get them to check out.

After only one visit with my DS he was moving much better and less fussy when I changed which side I held him on.

#10 Mrs Lost Wanderer

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Both my girls have always preferred righty because there is more there and they haven't had to work as hard to get it so they didn't like lefty. Could be a supply thing.

#11 eachschoolholidays

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (jacqg @ 19/04/2012, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both my girls have always preferred righty because there is more there and they haven't had to work as hard to get it so they didn't like lefty. Could be a supply thing.

+ 1

Both of mine prefer / preferred the left for the same reason

#12 kadoodle

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Leftie has a faster flow than rightie for me.  Therefore my babies always prefered leftie.  I'm a little lopsided sad.gif  But one day I'll win tattslotto and fix them both up after the babies finish sucking them into sad, pathetic little shadows of their former glory.

#13 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

im having the same problem but with my left boob! DS screams hysterically like hes in pain or something. i dont know what to do sad.gif

#14 MrsIncognito

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Have you tried holding him in a football hold so he is under your arm and laying the same way as if he was feeding on the left?

#15 pinkcupcakes

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (fairymagic @ 19/04/2012, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with the stiff neck theory. Might not hurt to get him checked out by a paediatric physio.

my cousin and his wife have just taken their newborn little boy to bowen therapy sessions coz he had some stiffness and bones out from birth process. i spose its a pretty common thing? i just thought it was a supply thing too, my dd always liked one over the other ( but then so does hubby, whats up with that?sorry tmi).. if in doubt though, always get him checked out. all the best. wink.gif

#16 Delillah1

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Sapere Aude! @ 19/04/2012, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried holding him in a football hold so he is under your arm and laying the same way as if he was feeding on the left?

This works for me

#17 aprilrain

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Yep, I need Lotto too! biggrin.gif Mine liked my saggy right one best. The left looks better, but mustn't have worked as well. I'd forgotten all about that.

#18 lucky 2

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

What a fantastic range of possibilities, perspectives and suggestions original.gif.

#19 Leee

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

My DS1 and DS2 love lefty but not so keen on righty. DS2 is 4 months and really does prefer the left but will feed from the right. For me it is a supply issue. Lefty has a fast let down and lots of milk where the righty doesn't seem to produce as much milk. Not that much of a big deal for me though, although my boobs are a bit lopsided most of the time.

#20 MahnaMahna

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (Mumma Bear :) @ 19/04/2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im having the same problem but with my left boob! DS screams hysterically like hes in pain or something. i dont know what to do sad.gif

My GP (who I saw before I went to a physio and chiro) said that when babies are almost fully grown in-utero they run out room to move too much and quite often this means they don't get to establish full range of movement in all their neck muscles.

So quite frequently when they are born one side of their neck muscles are more flexible than the other. So when you switch them to the side where they cannot move as much due to the stiffness it can cause them pain to feed from that side.

If you think your baby is in pain I would definitely suggest a GP/Physio/Chiro visit original.gif

#21 Emma600

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for all the suggesions ladies.
He doesn't scream or cry like he is in pain ..... it's more like fussy and cranky. So I don't think that he is sore but you might be on the money with the supply idea. When I was pregnant I leaked quite a bit only from the left boob now I think about it. So maybe the right one is just a bit crap. There is definately milk there as I can hand express it out but maybe there just not much or it's slow to come out. My daughter didn't seem to mind either side but he is partially bottle fed and used to getting his milk fast! He might be a bit of a lazy boy :-). I'll try the warm compress idea maybe.
Why do we even have 2 boobs? Handy for twins I suppose but mostly just confusing .... which one to start on, one breast per feed or 2 ?? Maybe we will evolve to be just one-breasted eventually :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.