Mispronunciation Misdemeanours: what funny words have your children said?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#51 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

My 2yo has been loving the rain lately, because we can jump up and down in "muddy cuddles" like Peppa Pig.

My 4yo has been watching Toy Story 3 and pronounces Bonnie with an American accent like in the movie, so it sounds like Barney to me. I have tried to correct her but she insists it's Barney.

#52 zande

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

I remember 2 of DD1's classics - "oosegower" for screwdriver, and "flapping-ingo" for flamingo, she was not yet 2!

DD2 was reading the Hungry Caterpillar and said that he was in a "clitoris" instead of a "chrysallis", DH & I wet ourselves at that one!

Edited by zande, 19 April 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#53 Kylie Orr

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Another one I was reminded of today:

"Iffins Uffins" is what my 3yo calls "Ear Muffs"! huh.gif

#54 itsmemacdolby

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

My 5 year old calls pins and needles 'pistons and needles' and I dont have the heart to correct her - yet  hheart.gif

#55 itsmemacdolby

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Oh! also remembered:

jumpaline (trampoline) and glue tack (blue tack) - both make perfect sense to me!

#56 Unatheowl

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (beccaj @ 19/04/2012, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Dd is 4 and currently walking around singing "We all live in a lellow sumbarine, a lellow sumbarine"

Haha.  Reminds me of ds who used to sing " yellow ass-amine". He also used to say "anow" for orange whic strangely dd does too!?

We live near a park called Fagan Park and ds would regularly ask to go to the Fa'kan Park original.gif

#57 Supernova2012

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

My DD2 called her nipples 'blueberries' once. We still call them that now.

Both girls were very excited last year as flower girls when they got to go to the wedding in a stretch 'limbo'.

#58 libbylu

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

My DS is five but still has a couple of hang over mispronunciations from his toddler days that we should probably sort out at some stage - too cute though!
He says 'aminal' instead of 'animal' and 'hopsital' instead of 'hospital'.  He also calls medals 'metals' for some reason and now his four year old cousin does too!
When he was very small he called his Grandad 'Daddit' which was soooo cute.

#59 mamma2miracles

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

rockadackle - crocodile, I hope nobody ever teaches him the correct pronunciation, I love rockadackle.

Somebody taught him that grapes aren't balls, I used to love that when he asked for "little balls"

#60 mccarro

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

DS tries to say 'crash' when he bangs his cars together, but it comes out as 'crap'. Makes me giggle every time!

#61 vitaechel

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

For a while DS would run around the back yard screaming "Mummy! C*ck C*ck!"... he was referring to the Cockatoos.  blink.gif

Tonight he kept telling me to "Jower" and pushing me out the door. DH finally worked out that he meant Shower.  laugh.gif

#62 _Alana_

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

My son says yawning just like Horney - he also like to announce everytime 'oh I'm just horney' after each yawn or that 'that man is Horney' at the shops lol !

#63 babybeli

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

My 7 year old DD has apparently flow with blue virgin.  I have tried correcting her but it just goes back to blue virgin the next time she talks about it.  Tonight on TV they had the bit about a Qantas plane with a blown engine.  She promptly told me that she does not want to be a pilot when she grows up because the other pilot might be an idiot and crash the plane.  However its OK to fly with blue virgin because they are much smarter.

My kids also dont vomit they vominate.  Thanks Arnie.

#64 roses7

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

DD used to call smarties "farties" which was hilarious in the supermarket when we went down the confectionary aisle!

DS couldn't manage "truck" and used to say f instead of the tr. He yelled it out every time a truck drove past  blush.gif

My family still tells the story of me coming home from school as a 5 yr old and announcing that my best friend was going on holidays to Surferdise Paris.

#65 justasking

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

Despite repeated corrections, my almost four-year-old says "Eeee-Chugga" instead of "each other".

#66 Feral Alpacas

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Cuggles- cuddles
Ellsbeth- Elizabeth (her name)
Ello- yellow
Owange- orange
Mao- meow, all cats were called maos for awhile
Grey- gay. This is her fave saying at the moment- daddy's gay car. Incidentally it's a roughed up very tough looking grey 4wd Hilux ute.
Pupple- purple
Toot- hoot

She knows the names and sounds of all farm animals, however she still insists on calling all sheep baas.

Edited by lovealpacas, 21 April 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#67 justasking

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

"gooselumps" instead of "goosebumps" biggrin.gif

"Maldation" instead of "dalmation" blink.gif

#68 ReadySetRace

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Cu-bum-bum for cucumber.
Shou-shou instead of shower
Bin instead of finished.
Bum instead of come

All by DD1 was a 2 year old. DD2 is much more articulate so we dont get such gems.

#69 Chickie-Babe

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Eye Tacts for my contacts (makes senses really, lol) from my 3yo.

#70 Lainskii

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

My dd (22 months) says what sounds like 'tittys' for 'TV' it cracks us up every time.

#71 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

lie-gon instead of lion
lellow in stead of yellow
hog-gert instead of yoghurt
sise seam instead of ice cream
cockaloos instead of cockatoos

QUOTE (drphillskaren @ 19/04/2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now we just play eye spe in the car on long trips - non-spelling 4 year old confuses all of us!

same here - our 5 year old tells us if her turn is real or 'imagination' before we start guessing.  If it's imagination, all bets are off.  It's just wild stabs in the dark!  Cracks DH and I up, very funny.

QUOTE (lynnemine @ 19/04/2012, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We did have a hilarious day once about 6 months ago - I had been pretending to eat the girls toes like corn, and going "mmm, Mummy's going to eat up your toes".  After about 30 minutes of it, DH came in, and DD1 ran up to him, face planted in his groin and goes "Daddy, I am going to eat your penis up".   roll2.gif
Dh was like this:  oomg.gif  sick.gif oomg2.gif  and I nearly wet my pants.

roll2.gif Funniest thing I've heard all week, just adorably hilarious!

QUOTE (Electro @ 19/04/2012, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then about a week ago, said 3yo dropped a toy and said "awwwwww sh*t!". While I was trying to supress laughter, mr 6yo says (in a dobbing tone): "mama, Luca said the 'shhh' word.....to which mr 3yo corrects him with "I did NOT say 'shhh', I said sh*t!"

roll2.gif  roll2.gif
This reminds me of my brother and his kids a few years ago.  Apparently the two kids (daughter 5yo and son, 3yo) were having an argument. My brother opened the bedroom door and asked them to quieten down and what were they fighting over, thinking it was a toy or something.  My niece announced that she had told her brother that **** is a bad word but that ****ing is a colour, but that her brother didn't believe her.  My brother was gobsmacked and asked his daughter why she thought ****ing was a colour.  She said because he (her dad, my brother) had said so, it was the colour of a car (black car, white car, red car, ****ing car .....)   blush.gif  My brother became very conscious of his swearing after that ....

#72 tenacious2

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

Love this thread! I have been giggling myself senseless.

My DD used to:
-call hexagons 'squircles' (because they looked like a cross between squares and circles)
-say Eleventeen (the number that comes after 10)
- say amn't instead of am not
-Once she took a playschool Jemima doll to 3yr old kindy for new and said "This is magina" pronouncing it like vagina with an m...

#73 Feralishous

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

DD can say 'play' she can say 'school'  but the TV show is play- si- cool.
Shes started calling DH by his first name too now which is cute

#74 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

I nearly forgot this, currently being said by DD3yo - av-vo-vo-cado (always in a little sing-song voice)

#75 KristyMum-

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

truck without the 'tr' and with an 'f' instead... yep that one was fun.

'box of shorts' - boxer shorts.

'holy brocomoili!' - holy guacamole

'head soap' - shampoo

'two head soaps' - shampoo and conditioner

and a tonne more.  could be all year in here lol

'essadayday' - excavator

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.