What oven?
Oven recomendations please.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 tle

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

I currently have a St George/Kleenmaid oven that constantly needs repairing despite being only about 7 yrs old. I'm fed up with spending money every few months so I've decided to buy a new one but I have no idea where to start.

If you could buy any oven you wanted, what would it be. My biggest problem is that it needs to fit into the space we currently have which is 600mm wide and wall mounted. We need either a double oven (r two seperate (but matching) ones that we can stack.  I've been thinking about a combination steam oven for one of them but I'm not sure I would use it that much.

What are your thoughts? Any brands that are good or terrible? Any features I should look out for?

We're a family of 7 so do a lot of cooking but I'm NOT a gourmet cook IYKWIM.

#2 fdab66

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Do not get a Blanco. I inherited one with our new house (only a couple of years old) and it has been a nightmare since day one. I actually want it to blow up properly so I have an excuse for an new one ;-)

I had a Westinghouse before that for 7 years - it was an older oven and never had an issue. That's what I'd be getting again.

#3 Amanda_R

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

I've got a Bosch pyrolytic oven and it's bloody fantastic.  I'd go with either a Bosch or Miele pyrolytic oven.  I wasn't really interested in a steam oven, but I wanted the pyrolytic function as I despise cleaning ovens.  If you are going with two ovens though and the cost isn't that much more then you could always do as you were thinking and have one steam oven and one normal, but it does depend on whether or not you'd use it.

I think one thing that puts me off the idea of steam ovens was the day my mum had to use one at work and water was pouring out of it.  She said it was the most surreal thing she's ever seen, like her brain couldn't accept that water was gushing out of an oven, it didn't fit in her head, lol.  She didn't know it was a steam oven (that had malfunctioned), lol. laughing2.gif

#4 mewsings

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Amanda_R @ 19/04/2012, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got a Bosch pyrolytic oven and it's bloody fantastic.

Me too !  I had a Kleenmaid that died last year ( on DDs birthday when I had rellies galore for tea - nothing like crap timing) and now have two Bosch ones mounted one above the other - they are fabulous wub.gif  .  Easy to use, easy to keep clean, nice even temps.

#5 The Old Feral

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Sorry to the pp who loves Westinghouse but that's a brand I'd avoid.  I've moved into a house with a pretty new looking Westinghouse oven and it's rubbish, the door doesn't close properly so I have to crank the dial up to 250c to do a roast and it cooks the whole house while I'm at it :\

#6 3 boys + 1 girl

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (tle @ 19/04/2012, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I currently have a St George/Kleenmaid oven that constantly needs repairing despite being only about 7 yrs old. I'm fed up with spending money every few months so I've decided to buy a new one but I have no idea where to start.

If you could buy any oven you wanted, what would it be. My biggest problem is that it needs to fit into the space we currently have which is 600mm wide and wall mounted. We need either a double oven (r two seperate (but matching) ones that we can stack.  I've been thinking about a combination steam oven for one of them but I'm not sure I would use it that much.

What are your thoughts? Any brands that are good or terrible? Any features I should look out for?

We're a family of 7 so do a lot of cooking but I'm NOT a gourmet cook IYKWIM.

Hi, I don't know what brand to recommend you but I wouldn't buy a westinghouse either have had nothing but trouble with mine and it's only 4 1/2 years old. It still doesn't work properly now but have had it fixed numerous times and it constantly makes horrible noises and the door doesn't shut properly either. I'm just waiting for it to die and hopefully I can convince my husband to buy a new one.

#7 Amanda_R

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (The Old Bag @ 19/04/2012, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to the pp who loves Westinghouse but that's a brand I'd avoid.  I've moved into a house with a pretty new looking Westinghouse oven and it's rubbish, the door doesn't close properly so I have to crank the dial up to 250c to do a roast and it cooks the whole house while I'm at it :\

Just on the door not closing thing, is it just loose?  Have you tried fiddling with the hinges, sometimes you can alter the hinges so the mechanism/spring is tighter which might help the door stay shut (depending on what your exact issue is).

And yeah, for ovens I'd avoid Westinghouse.  And Smeg.  And Euro.  And Fisher & Paykel.  And lots of other brands. Tounge1.gif  But not Bosch and Miele, super reliable, and work well.

#8 Stoked

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (Amanda_R @ 19/04/2012, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yeah, for ovens I'd avoid Westinghouse.  And Smeg.  And Euro.  And Fisher & Paykel.  And lots of other brands. Tounge1.gif  But not Bosch and Miele, super reliable, and work well.

What's wrong with Smeg? I love mine. Agree that Miele ovens are good but if I was buying one I wouldn't buy a 60cm one - maybe a 90cm one instead. Their oven space is so tiny the 60cm one will barely fit a muffin tray.

#9 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I think the important features to consider are
- internal width and depth of oven cavity. (ie. does my large roasting pan/lasagne dish/baking tray fit inside the oven?)
- thermostat accuracy/display - how can I set the temp? How accurate is it? (some go up in 1 degree increments with a digital display, others are a turn knob with markers every 30 degrees or so)
- safety (do I want a door with double, triple or quadruple glazing? child lock?)
- telescopic rails (makes it easier to put things in and take things out of the oven)
- oven self-cleaning functionality? (ie. do I want pyrolytic, steam clean, catalytic, etc)

For me, I just want an oven with normal bake, fan forced and grill. I don't need 14 cooking functions when I know I'm really only going to use 3 functions.  I'm not a fancy cook but I do want a reliable oven.  So far, my choice is Electrolux Electric Wall Oven EOEE62CS , but I'm also considering Bosch, Miele and AEG.

Take your largest baking trays and casserole dishes with you when you go looking and make sure they fit!  Not all 60cm oven have the same sized internal cavity space.

#10 YandiGirl

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

When we renovate, I'm buying one of these http://www.glemgas.com.au/Glem_Product_Ran...106GGESIB2.aspx I am crazy in love with it. original.gif

#11 ChilliDog

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Steer clear of Technika...we built and last year moved into our brand new house with brand new Technika appliances and they are CRAP!

Ours is a 900 freestanding oven and we had 2 service calls in 8 months. It's now just outside of it's 12 month warranty and the inside rails that hold the shelves in place have broken on one side!!

And dont get me started on the Technika dishwasher....

#12 The Old Feral

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Yandigirl, that is beautiful.

Amanda, thanks for the tip.  My Westinghouse door issue seems to be a combination of the seals and the hinges.  I'll get DH to have another look.  

Earlier I turned it on as high as it could go (250+) to make scrolls and accidentally dozed off while my dough was rising.  An hour later, the thermometer I've popped in the oven tells me it managed to get to 190c rant.gif.

#13 Lainskii

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

It's a shame to read that your St George isn't good. We inherited a St George upright with our house (the stove was over 40 years old - they gave us the original manual) and it still worked fine.
We were tempted to buy a new St George when we renovated our kitchen as they are the only oven made in Australia but we couldn't justify the cost in the end (they are really expensive)
I bagged an ILVE at a bargain price and absolutely love it.
Don't know if they make any good wall ovens as mine is a combination free standing.

Bosch are a good brand and I'd second and oven with the pyrolytic lining as they are so much easier to clean. If I didn't find my ILVE at the price I did I probably would have got a BOSCH.

My brother isn't overly thrilled with his Smeg and I'd stay away from any Fisher and Paykel product as I've never heard a good review for any of their products.

Lots of the rip off European brands get bad reviews as well and most of them feel really flimsy, don't fall for the 'made in italy' crap as some of them are dodgy as.

I spend a great deal of time shopping for my oven (to the point that DH refused to come to the shops with me 'again') and I also second taking some of your trays + large baking dishes to make sure they will fit.

#14 Amanda_R

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

YodaTheWrinkledOne - I'd avoid Electrolux if I were you.  While some people have no problems with them, they can be unreliable, and their customer service isn't so great (that goes for Electrolux owned brands like Westinghouse and others too).  For something like an oven I'd be sticking with a really reliable brand, even if you just pick an entry level product, you're more likely to get something that will last long term.

Actually the telescopic rails is something I don't have but definitely want, unfortunately they are an extra, in hindsight I should have got them to throw them in free with my purchase, but I completely forgot!

QUOTE (Stoked @ 19/04/2012, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's wrong with Smeg? I love mine. Agree that Miele ovens are good but if I was buying one I wouldn't buy a 60cm one - maybe a 90cm one instead. Their oven space is so tiny the 60cm one will barely fit a muffin tray.

They can be a lot more unreliable than other good brands.  Unreliable and inconsistent temperatures as well.  They are over priced for how well (or don't) perform.  Comes down to brand name hoopla and rather than reliable, well performing products.

#15 Sal78

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

we looked at loads of evens and eventually settled with smeg. nice and big, can use the bottom, heat does not escape, can self clean, not hot to touch, and wow even chick breaat takes 20 mins and is so moist.

#16 Luvmy4ferals

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

I saved up for 4 years to buy my dream oven a Gaggeneau pyrolitic...biggest mistake ever. It took 18 months of phone calls letters emails then a consumer protection case & finally the start of a law suit to fix the problems that were there on installation including the jamming shelves that caused nasty burns a couple of times and having it not working at all for more 3 months and mising parts. Customer service from this company is non existent. While I love the oven now it is working I will never recommend anyone buys one.

#17 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Amanda_R @ 19/04/2012, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YodaTheWrinkledOne - I'd avoid Electrolux if I were you.  While some people have no problems with them, they can be unreliable, and their customer service isn't so great (that goes for Electrolux owned brands like Westinghouse and others too).  For something like an oven I'd be sticking with a really reliable brand, even if you just pick an entry level product, you're more likely to get something that will last long term.

Actually the telescopic rails is something I don't have but definitely want, unfortunately they are an extra, in hindsight I should have got them to throw them in free with my purchase, but I completely forgot!

Thanks for the advice Amanda (how do you find out all the stuff you know?!)  I'll take a look at Kiele and Bosch ovens as well.  biggrin.gif   How does AEG rate?

#18 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Our last rental had a St George oven/stove that was over 30 years old. It was the bees knees. I'm not sure the quality of the new ones stacks up though.

We have a Bosch oven where we are now. I didn't choose it, but I bow down daily to the person who did. I do have to clean the bottom and the door, but they're the easy bits and the oven self cleans the rest. The door isn't hot to touch even at the highest temps, it has a child lock and the telescopic rails are brilliant - definitely try to get them to throw those in. It probably has more settings than I really need though, I only use grill, normal oven and fan forced. Sometimes I use the fan forced browning option, but it's certainly not necessary.

The first house we bought had a Chef gas oven and it was miniscule inside. I had to retire my roasting pan and exchange the muffin pan that my best friend gave me as a wedding present because they didn't fit. Definitely take your favourite pans along.

#19 tle

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming.

I'll definately take my baking dish with me when I go. Cooking for a big family I obviously need a big pan but I had just assumed it would fit in all ovens.  Seems that's not the case.

One of the brands we were seriously considering was Electrolux (1 pyrolytic oven and 1 matching steam combi oven). But there seems to be differing opinions on that brand. Has anyone else had any experience with them?  My St George oven cost a small fortune but has been a huge PITA (but not as much as the rangehood - but that's a whole other story) with constantly needing repairs and I want to make sure I avoid making the same mistake again.

I love the Miele ovens and they would match my dishwasher but I can't find an oven (or combination of ovens) to fill the space I have properly.  My St George must have been an odd size because nearly everything I look at is either 10cm too big or 10 cm too small.

#20 *LucyE*

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Shame the Miele doesn't fit because that would be my recommendation.

I second what Amanda said about the customer service from the Electrolux family. We have an Electrolux dryer that is a dud but what is worse is the lack of back up service.

I have an AEG Combi steam oven that has been good but I am looking forward to changing it to a Miele. It's the little things that make them so user friendly such as the way you fill it with water. It's only a small detail but when you use it regularly, it becomes a PITA.

If you do want to get a Combi Steam oven, I strongly recommend going to their cooking demos. I love the Combi steam oven and we don't have a microwave anymore. It reheats food beautifully and makes steaming so easy. I can steam a large fish that I'd have trouble doing on the stove top. Or multiple trays of steamed buns at once. Making bread is a dream and it bakes the best cheesecakes with a hint of steam. I wouldn't bother with a stand alone steam oven though.

As for internal size, I would go with a smaller oven that was reliable than an unreliable larger oven. It may mean getting some smaller roasting trays but it is worth it for an appliance to do as it should.

As for Gaggenau, I have heard they have just set up their own thingy in Australia so service should improve. We have been waiting months for a gas converter kit from the previous importers/distributors who were next to useless but it seems the company themselves have taken over control.

Thinking about it, if the Miele is too small for your space, could you get a cabinetmaker to put in something to make it fit?

#21 the wudges

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

I Love my Bosch 1.5 drawer wall oven and could not recommend it more highly!

My in-laws have a Neff wall oven with a warming drawer that they are really pleased with too.

#22 mumbo

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

We have a Smeg Dishwasher and Oven.  Both have required repairs in their short life span (under 18 months).  Apparently they are known for certain faults.

Dishwasher needed a new element after 10 months (only being used possibly once a week) and oven needed rewiring after 16 months *sigh*.  It's out of warranty now so if anything else happens, it's going to cost me an arm and a leg.

I've heard good things about Bosch, mainly their dishwashers and hot water systems.

Edited by mumbo, 20 April 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#23 sammyv

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Good to hear Bosch is good.  I have just got installed (yesterday) the 1.5 wall oven, just have to cure it and then I can cook!

Edited by sammyv, 20 April 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#24 Amanda_R

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (*LucyE* @ 20/04/2012, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thinking about it, if the Miele is too small for your space, could you get a cabinetmaker to put in something to make it fit?

Good point, I was pondering the same thing earlier.

If it meant you'd have to avoid a good brand completely just because the cabinets aren't exactly right, I'd get it altered to fit rather than going with a less than ideal brand of appliances.

It'll cost next to nothing to have a couple of panels put in either side of the oven/s.

#25 Skip to my Lou

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Great thread. I am in the process of selecting my oven atm - I had originally gone F & P but changed that due to the small size. Had been considering the Electrolux and Westinghouse due to the great size, but now I may have to look at Miele or Bosch again.

The power of a forum.....

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

A video of a three-year-old taking the ice bucket challenge has gone viral, but many aren't impressed.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.