Ending a friendship. Final update post #48

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 samagard

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Need some advice.
Met my best friend over a year ago. Have kids around same age, quickly became close.
Just recently she told me (after some probing), that two of her other friends said they don't like me and it is either them or me.

Obviously I was pretty distraught by this. I have no contact with them except for big family events, and I am disgusted by their high school bully tactic.

Been told she needs space (from all of us) and work out what she wants to do. Doesn't want to lose me or them.

I am not sure what to do. I would never ever expect a friend of mine to make a choice like that. Sure, I am not particularly fond of these other two friends, but I don't have anything to do with them.

Not only does this affect me, but also my kids. I am not sure what I am supposed to do. Obviously it is her decision, but given one of the friends is also family, I feel like they will just bully her until she gives in. I haven't made close friends for literally 10 years (personal circumstances). If the friendship ended of it's own accord, I wouldn't be so hurt. Feel like I am in high school again :/

Edited by somebody_new, 26 April 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#2 Loulla

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

They sound like very immature and controlling friends! How bizzare. Good luck with it all OP, what will be will be. And be glad you're not like them!

#3 erindiv

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Wow. If I was her I certainly wouldn't be choosing the "it's her or us" ones. How childish. If she 'picks' them you're better off without her!

#4 toosenuf

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I would just back off and let them sort it out.

#5 bark

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Goodness me sounds very high school.

#6 lozoodle

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'd leave it with her, but what a horrible situation. Understandably you'd be really upset by this sad.gif

I think that is so sh*tty and immature of the other two friends. Who does that!?

If it were me being told that, I'd tell the people making me choose to F off. A real friend doesn't do that.

#7 ReadySetRace

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Why do they not want her to contact you? What's it got to do with them who she sees when she's not with them?

Can you tell us more?

#8 Amanda_R

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Let her have her space.  I'd say to her that you understand it's a horrible position to be put in, that you don't want to make it harder for her and that you truly value her as a friend and as a person.  Hopefully if you step back and let her think things over she'll see that you're a friend worth having and not someone who would give ultimatums like the other 'friends' are.

Step back, if she chooses them, then it's her loss.  If she chooses you then try and offer her some support as she'd probably be feeling pretty crappy too.  Any maybe down the line suggest that you're willing to help her sort out their issues with her if she doesn't want to lose them as friends either.  That doesn't mean you become a sap or anything, just show that you don't have an issue with them and that if she wants to be friends with them in the future you are ok with it.

Seriously though, how utterly juvenile of them.  If they don't like you, then they don't need to have anything to do with you.  Who she chooses to be friends with should be none of their concern.

#9 samagard

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

doctorseuss
Honestly I don't know. They had a problem with how much we hang out and that I make them uncomfortable...when I see them the whole twice a year that I have.

Personally I think it is very different personalities (I don't really drink, don't go out etc), and the fact I was made the maid of honour recently for my best friend.
I did ask yesterday if I was out of the wedding and she said no. I am just really confused. Obviously I can't do anything. Doubt I would get a straight answer from them.

#10 Peace&Love

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Wow, I'd step back and let her go!

#11 Brrrroooce!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Ugh.

I'm sorry your best friend was too weak to stand up for you, your friendship, and her right to choose her own friends.

If I was you I'd be giving them all a wide berth.

#12 samagard

QUOTE (Peace&Love @ 18/04/2012, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, I'd step back and let her go!

I honestly considered that today. I feel like they will pressure her so much that it would be easier on both of us if I just said it was ok.
I understand her not being able to say no to the other friends. She wants to work out a way that we can all stay in her life. I am just not really wanting to take another rejection.

Received fantastic news the same night this was all said to me, and I was incredibly upset that I couldn't share that with my best friend.
To go from talking every day and now I am just waiting to see what will happen. Am letting her have space, but at the same time I just want this juvenile crap to be over.

#13 JECJEC

The fact that she told you and that she is actually considering it speaks volumes to me. I personally would say think that because she needs to consider it that she doesn't value the friendship and to have a nice life.

#14 JustBeige

QUOTE (Amanda_R @ 18/04/2012, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let her have her space.  I'd say to her that you understand it's a horrible position to be put in, that you don't want to make it harder for her and that you truly value her as a friend and as a person.  Hopefully if you step back and let her think things over she'll see that you're a friend worth having and not someone who would give ultimatums like the other 'friends' are.

Step back, if she chooses them, then it's her loss.  If she chooses you then try and offer her some support as she'd probably be feeling pretty crappy too.  Any maybe down the line suggest that you're willing to help her sort out their issues with her if she doesn't want to lose them as friends either.  That doesn't mean you become a sap or anything, just show that you don't have an issue with them and that if she wants to be friends with them in the future you are ok with it.

Seriously though, how utterly juvenile of them.  If they don't like you, then they don't need to have anything to do with you.  Who she chooses to be friends with should be none of their concern.

agree with everything Amanda said.

Just saw your update - So you are MoH for this poor lady that has been threatened.  

Wow! the hide of some people.

I guess the sad part is,  if she is bullied until she chooses, then you may possibly be out of the wedding.   Honestly, I would think that the groom or the brides parents might want to step in here, especially if they are family that is doing the bullying.

#15 mum201

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Are these girls 16?

#16 samagard

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (mum201 @ 18/04/2012, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are these girls 16?

No, but I don't blame you for assuming that.

#17 Amanda_R

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (JECJEC @ 18/04/2012, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that she told you and that she is actually considering it speaks volumes to me. I personally would say think that because she needs to consider it that she doesn't value the friendship and to have a nice life.

If she's the sort of person that doesn't like conflict then it's understandable that she's 'considering' it, she probably doesn't know what to do.  It's a terrible position for supposed friends to put someone in, and if she doesn't have the strength to tell them to bugger off for doing it then of course she's not going to know how to handle it, hence why she needs some time out from everyone to sort herself out.

If she is the type of person that doesn't have the strength to tell someone to go jump, wants to avoid conflict and make everyone happy, then it kind of explains why the two friends would try and bully her and give her the ultimatum - because they think they will succeed.  She of course needs to see that what they are doing is manipulative and totally unfair, but that's something she most likely needs to find out on her own, the OP wouldn't be able to point it out to her (would just compound the problem), really the only person who might have a chance is someone else completely unrelated to the situation that the OP's friend looks up to.  Whether or not they exist is another thing though.

I think the OP should just step back, tell her friend she cares and understands, and hope the friend can realise what the other two are doing to her.  It's not fair on the OP nor the friend, but if she makes the wrong decision and chooses the other two, it's her loss.  She is an adult after all, she can tell them to go jump and keep the OP as a genuine friend, she just needs to she can too.

#18 Cat People

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (mum201 @ 18/04/2012, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are these girls 16?

I think 16 yr old's are more mature.

I honestly couldn't stay friends with someone who would consider dumping me like this.  It's just ridiculous.  Sorry OP, I think it's time for a new friend.  I know you said it's hard to make new friends, but I would prefer no friends to this type of drama.

#19 Snorlax

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

I agree.

So very juvenile. I would wash my hands of it all. Take the higher ground & move on, if the friend bows to these immature idiots than she is no better. I certainly wouldn't want friends like that.

FWIW, I don't get along with my best friends other friend's (they are single, party people with 'interesting' morals) but I don't make it my friend's problem. I would never make an issue of it, we're just good at avoiding each other that way we all win wink.gif

Edited by Belle~Vie, 18 April 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#20 opethmum

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

Oh dear weddings can bring out the best in people and they can bring out the demon in some people. I do hope she has the strength to stick to her guns and that she can tell the very people who are allegedly supporting her to feck off and support her decisions she makes without the third degree or guilt trip.
I really feel for you and the awful predicament that you have been placed in. I hope for your sake she pulls through for you and that your friendship is assured and equally reciprocated and appreciated.
If she does not then I wish you peace and hugs and I hope that you can find friendship and companionship in some one more deserving.
But I agree that this situation is very, very, primary school and the behaviour by these other women is abhorrent.
Good luck OP.

#21 Cat Burglar

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Sorry you have this happening  bbighug.gif

What immature idiots. If they dont like you they can just see her at different times. They probably are doing that to all her friends.

OP I think either way you should make some time for you and join a club or a walking group or something like that to meet some nice, normal people!

#22 BabeBlossom

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

I really feel for your friend OP the year of my wedding I had some issues with friends that I just did not have the time or mental capacity to deal with. I would take comfort in the fact she has come to you and spoken about it, she could have kept it to herself and dumped you with no warning.
I would try to support her to take a hard look at the situation they have put her in and maybe encourage her to speak with her mum, aunt, grandma, someone in the family who can help her who understands the family dynamics.
Ultimately she's nuts if she let's go of a friendship because her other 'friends' gave her an ultimatum out of jealousy. She will end up resenting them.

#23 A.K.A

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

OP - I agree with the 'step back' advice.

#24 samagard

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

And I give up.
After being told she needs a break from everyone, FB update has her hanging out with one of the "friends".

Sent her a message basically saying expecting me to sit back and wait to see if she picks me is ridiculous.  If she can't see the value of our friendship or can't tell people that they can't dictate her life I don't know what to say.
She is an adult. And that she knows where I am if she wants to talk.

I am just leaving it at that.
Closing your eyes and hoping it will just go away won't work.
I would never do that to a friend and I am pretty saddened that she didn't stand up for our friendship.
At least I have uni to focus on sad.gif

Edited by somebody_new, 18 April 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#25 roses99

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

I'm sorry, OP  sad.gif

You'd think we could all leave these sorts of friendship issues in primary school where they belong, but sadly that's not always the case.

I wonder though, if you have had the time to take a good, hard, critical look at your friendship?

I'm not for a moment suggesting that your friend's friends are justified in making your friend choose. Or that your friend is justified in allowing her friends to dictate.

However...has your friendship been pretty full-on? Maybe too full-on? Is it possible that her other friends felt that she'd become very exclusive with you and were jealous? You say you've only been friends for a year. I just wonder if your friendship was perhaps a bit too intense.

Please don't take that the wrong way. You haven't done anything wrong. And your friend is being weak in allowing her friends to dictate who her friends can be.

But perhaps this friendship - yours and hers - could use a bit of breathing space.

Again - I'm very sorry. It hurts. I get that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Chinese manufacturers tap into the cute factor with tree-grown babies.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.