Who else does not drink tea or coffee?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 IsolaBella

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I think even more so then Alcohol, to not drink Tea or Coffee is met with  ohmy.gif  huh.gif .

Luckily DH is also a non Tea or Coffee drinker so we do well together.

You go out and you are offered Tea or Coffee (office, school functions, get together's at someone's house or a cafe), as you drink either people looked shocked that you don't drink them (think the end of dinner out, everyone orders their tea or coffee post meal and you request nothing).

Who else is in the same situation? What do you drink instead?

(I can't drink Hot Chocolate now due to medical reasons, nor OJ or Coke, so most often beg for a glass of tap water when out - but this seems to be very shocking in social circles).

#2 Leafprincess

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

ATM I'm not drinking any caffeinated beverages

Previously I would drink green tea, not a big alcohol drinker and don't like soft drinks.

I read this article recently where this person would go months not drinking water and only drank soft drink.... Now THAT was shocking to me. I mean how do you wake up in the morning and go "mmm coke"  sick.gif

Nothing wrong with water, sometimes I mix it up a bit and ask for mineral water and a slice of lime  laugh.gif

#3 Catolyn

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Caffeine gives me panic attacks. Shame, because I used to really love coffee, but no more.

#4 svdb

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from.  I've never drunk tea or coffee.

Do you drink herbal tea? I've tried some - T2 has some lovely herbal teas. But i need to have mine very strong or they just taste like dirty dish water (not that I've ever drunk that!). Occasionally I'll indulge in a Chai Latte - but that's a special treat for me, not a regular every day thing.

Otherwise I don't think you have many options.  I guess you just have to own it. Be happy with your decision to not drink tea or coffee for whatever reason and be confident in your choice.

#5 TwinkyBear

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

I hate the stuff.  Well actually, I can drink the Chinese Teas that they serve at dim sum - but that's it.  I love the smell of coffee beans, I think an Affogato looks insanely delicious, I've tried nearly every herbal tea in the hope of liking one, but nope.  I can't even really handle a tiramisu - ugh, coffee.

It's definitely a pain at staff development days where the only option seems to be coffee or tea and it's often a matter of chasing up a glass of tap water.  Most functions seem to be the same.

I'll usually have water or a hot chocolate instead, I'm definitely not a fan of soft drinks.

Here's a question back at you: Were you allowed to drink coffee or tea as a child?  In our house, grown ups drank coffee and tea, children drank water, juice or milk.  Of myself and my 3 siblings, none of us enjoy coffee or tea.  I do wonder if our taste buds just didn't have a chance to grow accustomed to it.

#6 cardamom

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

I don't drink either. I don't like the taste, and I'm also not a fan of hot drinks. I'll very occasionally have a hot chocolate when out for "coffee", but usually I have a milkshake  happy.gif

#7 nayjay

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

I don't drink tea or coffee (and I don't drink alcohol either).  I prefer water.

It's definitely a pain at staff development days where the only option seems to be coffee or tea and it's often a matter of chasing up a glass of tap water. Most functions seem to be the same.
yyes.gif I have found this too.  I usually carry a bottle of water.

Edited by nayjay, 18 April 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#8 countrymel

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

I don't - nor cola.

I just ask for a glass of water (on rare occasions I have some herbal 'hippy tea' in my bag and will fling a teabag their way) - you are right, people do find it a bit disconcerting.. especially if they have been to our home as good coffee is very important to DP so we always serve decent percolated coffee or an equally fine standard of tea.

Apart from my close friends I don't think most people realise I'm not a drinker of caffeine.

I DO get annoyed when the holier than thou, born again non caffeine drinkers try and pull me into their little 'coffee is bad' coven though..

I love coffee and tea - love all the ritual, the smell, the accessories. I just don't drink it myself and never have.

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Here's a question back at you: Were you allowed to drink coffee or tea as a child? In our house, grown ups drank coffee and tea, children drank water, juice or milk. Of myself and my 3 siblings, none of us enjoy coffee or tea. I do wonder if our taste buds just didn't have a chance to grow accustomed to it.

Not expressly offered but had the opportunity to taste. My mum is an avid tea drinker, Dad a coffee man. I always loved the smell of coffee beans (freshly ground) but could not stand the taste of anything coffee flavoured. My brother drinks Coffee, My sister herbal teas. The only herbal tea I have ever had was lemon for a sore throat when PG. I really did not like the taste though.

#10 follies

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I drink tea but not coffee, to me it tastes like cigarettes in a cup.

#11 Amanda_JB

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

I dont drink tea or coffee, just dont like hot drinks. After 13 years my inlaws still ask if i want one though when we visit  unsure.gif  Dh's nanna just gives me a glass of milk, whether i want it or not lol

#12 Bart.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

I don't drink tea or coffee.  I don't like the flavour of tea and coffee gives me heart palpitations.

I'm also one of 'those' who don't drink alcohol, too.  original.gif

I have had to get used to the taste of herbal teas recently because to keep my milk supply up, I've been drinking Nursing Tea.  After a couple of months of drinking it, I still have to add a teaspoon of sugar because I just can't adjust to the flavour.

#13 prettypenny

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

I always look at people who don't consume hot drinks with healthy dose of suspicion. tongue.gif

Seriously though some of my good friends are non hot drink drinkers. biggrin.gif

I went a while not drinking tea or coffee when ttc and continued not to when pregnant. Now I've had the baby I'm back in the game. I'll drink what caffeinated hot drink I can get my hands on.

#14 titch482

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

i really dont like hot drinks..... so majority of the time coffee is out for me, and i dont drink tea at all.
if i'm really cold, or insanely tired i'll have a coffee. so less than 5 times a year... if that

if out in the afternoon for 'cake and coffee' i might have a iced coffee or iced mocha, but never at night, i'd never sleep!!

i do LOVE coke though, so i'll either have that, water, juice etc

#15 Julie3Girls

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

No tea or coffee for me, thank you.

I will occasionally have a hot chocolate, more likely to do so if it is actually cold weather and it's nice to have a hot drink.

I do find people tend to repetively offer it. And the "Really???" in the shocked, disbelieving tone when I say I don't drink tea or coffee. like I've committed some evil sin by not having it.

Love that my best friend doesn't even offer it to me.  Especially since my MOTHER still insists on offering it and saying "You really should try it, you're a grown up now and you really should drink tea and coffee, it's so nice"

#16 Froger

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

I pretty much drink nothing but water. We have no juice or soft drinks ever at our house, except if visitors bring them (and then I try to get the visitors to drink the stuff so we don't have to). We do have tea and coffee available for visitors though, but I never drink it myself, at least not at home. I drink it out of politeness if I feel I must if I'm visiting someone who will be upset if I turn down their kind offer. But only tea and never coffee.

#17 MummyIHK

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

I have never tried tea or coffee (and I dont plan to), I also dont drink alcohol (I could count the amount of drinks I have had in my life on one hand).  If I am going out with friends for coffee, I will have a hot chocolate otherwise I will generally just drink water.  If people are drinking alocohol, I just have soft drink (I'm such a kid) rolleyes.gif

#18 IsolaBella

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 18/04/2012, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do find people tend to repetively offer it. And the "Really???" in the shocked, disbelieving tone when I say I don't drink tea or coffee. like I've committed some evil sin by not having it.

This is my point. The shock disbelief that you don't drink it. Saying No to alcohol offered does not get this reaction (I often say no as I can not consume any alcohol and drive as my blood alcohol levels are too high even after a single 100mls glass - yes I have tested it).

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yep, me too.

QUOTE (TwinkyBear @ 18/04/2012, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's definitely a pain at staff development days where the only option seems to be coffee or tea and it's often a matter of chasing up a glass of tap water.  Most functions seem to be the same.

I find that about T&D days and functions also. Frustrating.

#20 notorico

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Another who doesn't like tea of coffee. I used to have a skim milk hot chocolate when out with friends (we go for coffee a couple of times a week) but milk doesn't seem to agree with me anymore, so I get tap water instead. Boring, I know, and I feel a bit odd sitting in cafe and not buying anything (sometimes I will have something to eat or occasionally have a juice) but everybody is used to me by now.

#21 Guest_Retro_Mumma_*

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Ha ha yes me,  I love the smell of coffee but it makes me so ill.

Ill drink green tea when im sick and watered down cranberry juice to get more iron but other than that its water.

I remember once that a guy from my work was getting everyone a coffee from a cafe and couldnt understand that I didnt drink anything in the end he got me a huge banana milkshake but I couldnt drink it because im lactose intolerant!

I often get the shocked look too when I decline a coffee or a tea because I dont drink it, I wish I could it smells so good!

#22 Julie3Girls

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

I do love the smell of coffee.
I used to work in an office where our room had a coffee perculator. Used to be lovely. Until I got pg when the smell used to set off my morning sickness. The guys thought it was strange with baby #1 (hadn't announced the pregnancy) but didn't make the connection. Baby #2 .. well, they guess I was pregnant very very early, purely because of the coffee.

#23 beebs09

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

when on 'coffee dates' I'll either get a chai to seem semi sophisticated lol or just get water. Sometimes I'll get an iced chocolate. But really I'm not fussed with any of them.

#24 Logging out

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

I don't drink tea, coffee or alcohol... but then I am a Latter Day Saint (mormon).  wwhistle.gif

#25 starfire

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

I don't drink coffee or tea either. I don't drink milkshakes either as I am lactose intolerant. But in saying that I will drink the tea or coffee if given tea or coffee on the rare occassion but when I am given the choice, I always order cold water or softdrink.

I am not really a fan of hot beverages as it heats up my body too much and makes me feel shakey and feeling like I want to either pass out or vomit especially in summer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.