experiences with a nanny
what do you think?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cattyrae

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

hi,
im looking at getting a nanny next year instead of my kids going to childcare. i will have 3 in school full time and 2 at home. the 2 at home are going to be 18mth and 3.5yrs.
my hubby is a teacher and i will be going to uni at least 3 days a week. my days are likely to be 8:30-4:30pm.

i guess what im asking is would it be cheaper? would i employ them as a casual as i will have holidays and wont need them while im at home or my hubby is at home? she would need to drop off and pick up my other 3 so that would save my before and after school costs.

also my hubby isnt that comfortable with a nanny only because he is 30 and having a 18yr old scares him. i think its the teacher coming out of him. but how can i make him feel comfortable?

any help would be appreciated original.gif

#2 cat5245

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

I work as a nanny / babysitter and am so surprised by the number of parents who don't ask to see any documentation or references etc.

Maybe to alleviate some of your husband's concerns make a list of what you would like from each nanny you interview e.g. police check, working with children check, first aid certificate, written and verbal references, copies of qualifications etc. I think it's fine and wise to ask for all of these sorts of things. Not all nannies are 18!

I'm usually just employed as a casual but have some sort of informal written agreement e.g. hours per week, pay, etc.

Hope it works out well for you!

#3 cattyrae

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

cat thanks heaps. i have just worked out how many weeks i wont need a nanny in the year. eg school holiday and uni holidays. would that affect pay and work hours etc?
i will make a list thanks again

#4 Lokum

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

We employ our nanny as a casual - it means the rate is a bit higher. However, she works 16-20 hours a week for us, so I'm very conscious that we constitute a major part of her income.

When we go away for a couple of days, I try to make up her hours at a different time. However, if you are definitely not going to need her at all for like, 10-13 weeks of the year, you need to negotiate that up front. Maybe offer a higher hourly rate during term time, or just see if she will accept big fluctuations in her income.

You don't need to get an 18 year old... though you can't legally discriminate on the basis of age. You can ask for formal childcare quals, first aid, police check, WWCC and experience. You can specify x years of experience if you want, or experience with school0aged kids, or toddlers or whatever.

You decide whether you want school pickup/drop off in the mix, and how she'll handle 5 kids. Whose car will she use? If her own, what about car seats? And petrol/car allowance? Then reliable car will have to be one of your criterion.

Do reference check - phone the referees and ask if they know her and how? Don't tell them her whole CV and just ask for confirmation - get them to really tell you what she did and for how long and with what kids.

Try to interview her with several kids present and see how she interacts with them.

Stalk her FB page. If she shows bad judgment on FB, will she show good judgment with your kids?

#5 eachschoolholidays

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

My husband and I are both teachers so employing a nanny made sense financially for us.

I go back to work full-time in July and we have arranged someone to nanny two days for us (they will have 3 days in day care too.)  Because we don't need the nanny during the school holidays, it actually works out cheaper for us we wouldn't get the childcare rebate on the last two days anyway, if that makes sense. I have two other teacher friends who do the same thing - 3 days daycare and 2 days nanny and find that it works out well.  

There are lots of women who only want to work during school terms.  My friends have nannies who have children in high school - so certainly not 18 yrs old!

We (and my friends) just made it quite clear that the work was during school terms only.

#6 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

The concept that you'd get an 18 year old nanny - let alone for five kids - is completely foreign to me. We have had three nannies and a couple of temps, and other than one in her late 20's, the others have been mothers and grandmothers in their 40's and 50's.

Be very clear in your requirements for experience and qualifications, and your expectations day to day, as well as the working arrangements (hours, days, weeks per year, etc)

You may well find someone with older school age children who would be very happy to have school holidays off.

#7 littlecuties

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

I think a nanny would be definitely cheaper than child care for 5 children, especially if she is registered for CCR and CCB. However, no way would an 18 year old be mature enough to cope with 5 children and have enough driving experience to be driving your kids around. Perhaps there are exceptions though, such as someone with a large family of younger siblings, that would be ideal.

If I was a nanny I'd prefer only school terms as I have children at school so I'm sure you can find someone who's happy with that.

Edited by littlecuties, 18 April 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#8 cattyrae

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

thanks everyone. i was just using an 18yr oldas an example. i would much prefer someone abit older that could handle 5 kids.
i will defenitly make alist and seriously look into it. thanks again original.gif

#9 mpoppins92

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

I didn't see all the questions, so just a quick reply. As far as working hours and holidays just make it clear from the beginning, my boss has always said I won't work public holidays and I'll have 3 weeks off at Christmas. My boss works from home so she is there all day whilst I'm looking after the children. I'm nearly 20 and it's a bit harsh to make that judgement on young people especially about what we put on our FB. What we may lack in experience we make up for in energy and enthusiasm. And my work is completely separate to my FB, and if I choose to go out and post something silly on there why shouldn't I? Going out with my friends on a Saturday is not at all related to me going to work on a Monday, and my boss is my friend on FB. Sorry to go off the point a bit there but that combined with ACA's report on nannies has got me all riled up. Not directed at you OP, but someone esle made that remark. rant.gif

It's all about the right fit to your family. You could find Mary Poppins herself, and your kids didn't like her. Don't discount someone on age if they seem like a good fit, or if you really want to avoid people who are young just specify in your employment ad; "We are looking for a mature and experienced woman". Mature in the nanny world means older woman. At least to me anyway.

#10 mummy~2~two

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

I used to be a Nanny before I had my own children and would love to only work in school terms.
If you are looking for a more mature Nanny I can't see that being a problem.
I will be looking for a job with the same conditions in a few months and I don't think they will be easy to find.
Good luck

#11 Lokum

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (mpoppins92 @ 19/04/2012, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....especially about what we put on our FB. What we may lack in experience we make up for in energy and enthusiasm. And my work is completely separate to my FB, and if I choose to go out and post something silly on there why shouldn't I? Going out with my friends on a Saturday is not at all related to me going to work on a Monday, and my boss is my friend on FB. Sorry to go off the point a bit there but that combined with ACA's report on nannies has got me all riled up. Not directed at you OP, but someone esle made that remark. rant.gif

I made the FB comment. I saw pictures of one of my nanny candidates being very amusing with a banana on her FB page. No problems for me. She has a sense of humour. She is also clearly fond of her cat. Great.

I also saw one other girl clearly off her face, proudly posting about that and her sexual exploits. Her friends' use of language was filthy and misogynistic. Not the kind of person I want in my home, around my small child. Having lax privacy settings and making yourself look like a cheap hooker online show poor judgment and immaturity. It's valid to use this information if the person makes it generally available.

There's blowing off steam in your own private time, and there's being an immature tart with poor judgment. I think nannies can be great. I was a good one, and I have a good one now. You just have to be careful who you pick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.