Help! Off to Europe
Need advice on a good travel stroller

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 simon82

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hey All,

Ok I know there are a number of these topics but after reading over the threads I have managed to narrow it down somewhat but not enough.

So our main pram is one of the Emmaljunga Duo Combi so obviously not coming overseas and frankly I am looking to sell.

So we are going to: London, Paris, Florence and return to Perth.

The requirements for our 12 month old, healthy 13kg baby girl are:
  • reclines
  • sun cover
  • can handle cobblestones (is this really such an issue, Florence seems to be only concern)
  • is light
  • Can handle being out from 10am to 5pm

I am looking at 3 on Gumtree:

- Maclaren Quest new model
- Stokke Xplory
- Bugaboo Cameleon

The Stokke and Bugaboo both have travel bags so this isn't an issue. The Quest comes with rain cover and organizer (to negate lack of storage on Quest)

My wife loves the Stokke but doesn't look entirely practical, perhaps better buying something like the Quest our Trip and the Stokke as her main pram?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

#2 sueb31

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (simon82 @ 18/04/2012, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wife loves the Stokke but doesn't look entirely practical, perhaps better buying something like the Quest our Trip and the Stokke as her main pram?

I think this is a good idea.

I don't know the Stokke or Bugabbo in detail, but I wouldn't be taking an expensive pram on an overseas trip, it is asking for trouble. I have a Maclaren Vogue that has withstood many overseas trips to UK, Europe and Canada. Recommend it very highly.

Do look into getting a travel bag for the stroller to protect it. Even if you gate check they can get manhandled. I personally wouldn't get the Maclaren bag which has wheels, as the wheels are cumbersome and to be honest, we unfold it as soon as we get it.

On the cobblestone question, the Vogue has been good. I think it has bigger wheels than the Quest. We also have a Maclaren Daytripper that I bought for travel when the kids are a bit older and not needing the layback (it was really cheap). It has smaller wheels though and you really notice the difference on rough surfaces.

HTH

Sue

Edited by sueb31, 18 April 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#3 Bluenomi

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

After going OS a few times with DD, I'd get whichever is the lighest and easiest to carry. I'd also take something cheap, I once saw a lady crying in customs because the airline had broken her Bugaboo even though it was in a travel bag. My $80 cheapy from Target was fine.

In London I'd avoid a pram if you can. I found it so much easier taking DD around in the sling when using the Tube etc.

#4 IsolaBella

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

If you are using public transport in London avoid prams. Most tube stations have LOTS of stairs and no lifts. On buses if they are getting more packed they will kick you off the bus to allow more passengers on (yes happened numerous times to us - we were in London for 6wks).

Also don't go expensive. Like PP said SIL had her $800 new pram (picked up friday and flew friday night) broken on arrival.

ETA: We used a $15 Target cheapie stroller for our 20mo. It did London and Paris

Edited by lsolaBella, 18 April 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#5 simon82

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Wow this place is super helpful original.gif

We have tried the cheaper strollers before, issue is bub is a big  bub, we need the recline so she can sleep comfortably (don't want to have to return to hotel every few hours just to nap) and I am quite tall at 6 ft 3 and the prams all seem rather short original.gif

#6 Bluenomi

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (simon82 @ 18/04/2012, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow this place is super helpful original.gif

We have tried the cheaper strollers before, issue is bub is a big bub, we need the recline so she can sleep comfortably (don't want to have to return to hotel every few hours just to nap) and I am quite tall at 6 ft 3 and the prams all seem rather short original.gif

My $80 from Target have full recline and was fine on unsealed roads and bumps around the South Pacific. And trust me, kids will sleep in the weirdest ways, in Scotland DD once well asleep upright with her feet propped up on the bar at the front of the pram happy.gif

If it is just for a hoilday I really wouldn't take a good pram. So not worth the hassle with the airlines

#7 Munchkin'smum

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

The bugaboo would be great for naps, having her rear facing, and cobblestones, but not on public transport or in cafes and restaurants, the maclaren (recommend the vogue for full recline and larger wheels) would be great for smaller spaces. I would choose the maclaren however. I have spent some time in Europe with both prams, the bugaboo was great in winter with a younger baby, the Mac great with older child (12 months). Hope that helps!

#8 munchmum

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

The quicksmart is great. We took it to the UK last year. It folds to briefcase size, had a bag, a small recline and was tall enough for my 6f1 dh to push. We took it on all surfaces.

#9 *Mumma-to-A*

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Get a Maclaren. I would say a cheapie wouldn't last the trip.

I've got the Quest but would get the vogue for the slighty bigger wheels, large suncover and full recline. They are just so easy to fold too.

And pack it in a travel bag for the plane.

#10 luey08

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have the Vogue,  We have used it for travel lots. I like the bigger wheels and sunshade.  

A good carrier is handy too,  especially for the airport. I do like the city mini too but is a different fold and seems 'bigger' but is roughly the same weight as the vogue

Buy one over there,  you can get a wider variety,  saves on taking it one way too.  Arrange for it to be waiting at the hotel or visit a baby store when you get there.

#11 kittycat01

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

My bugaboo brake got broken in long haul transit in Travel bag. It was a real pain to travel with as it doesn't fit into cars well. nearly had to get 2 taxis for 3 of us! Since then, we have taken our cheapie with us which I wouldn't care about if it got broken. Was $100 in target. Got a universal rain cover for $20 I think.

Another thing to consider is bringing a carseat...scary business having to hold a 1-yr old in your lap. Happened us in Abu dhabi and none of the limo companies had one. An extra stress we didn't need

Kitty

#12 Escapin

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

We have a Stokke at home. Love it to bits - we live in Inner City Sydney and don't have a car so it's DD's primary mode of transport. Would NEVER travel with it - it's too big, doesn't really fold up and is very expensive to replace or even fix.

I recently bought a QuickSmart for traveling and it's perfect - folds up into a backpack that you can take on the plane, and it high enough at the back that it's comfortable to push around for hours.

I never thought we'd end up with 2 prams, but really, you use one every single day so you don't want to try to find a 'one size fits all situations' as you'll just be annoyed all the time.

#13 dae-gu

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Baby Jogger City Mini.
Easier to fold than the Mac, huge hood, folds really flat for travel (wheels pop off easy - can't do that on Mac) and waaaaaaay more stable than the Mac. I hung a heavy nappy bag off mummy hooks on handle, son jumped out and BJCM still stayed upright.....no Mac offers that stability.

Oh and I've travelled with both a BJCM and a Mac Vogue too, so speaking from a direct comparison.
But do get a travel bag for whatever you decide on.

Agree forget the Xplory - they have a huge fold, def not for travelling sad.gif

#14 jcbenny

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

We have the quick smart. Doesn't recline completely but if the kid is tired he/she will sleep!

Otherwise I'd just buy when im there. I love my peg perego. And apparently much cheaper there!!!

#15 Ice Queen

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

We went to europe with a 16mth old and had a mclaren quest.  I cannot believe how well it lasted.  It got used and used on cobblestones, tubes, trains etc and it came home filthy but fine.  DD slept in it fine, i always took a navy pasmina which i would drape over as soon as she fell asleep.  Suncover isnt the best but i never found that an issue like in oz.  We had a travel bag for the plane so no damage.

In addition to the stroller, we had an ergo carrier, i would HIGHLY recommend this for train stations, tubes etc.  On the days we were 'travelling' we put the stroller in the bag which had wheels, i wheeled that and my wheelie suitcase, hubby had bubs in ergo and pulled his wheelie suitcase.  Much easier than pushing the stroller.  I love the ergo.  We used it a lot in europe.

#16 Mummy fab

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I wouldnt be taking a bugaboo or a stokke overseas, definately not travelling prams.

I would recommend a baby jogger city mini, easy to fold, reclines, huge hood and light so would be easy for one of you to carry the baby and one carry the pram up stairs or something if you had to.

Good luck.

#17 damster

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Another one who says definitely not the bugaboo. With stairs, we wanted to take our little one out of the pram and carry it separately. As it's in two pieces, this would be too cumbersome. The travel case is huge too. I bought a Silvercross light stroller on eBay for all our OS trips. Still using it and it's our spare always kept in the back of the car...

#18 lizb87

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I have a stokke as my normal pram and also would never travel with it. Far too bulky, heavy snd I reckon it would be crap on the cobblestones. We did Europe with a 11 month old and bought a $150 espirit sun stroller which was perfect.  Full recline and comfy seat so he would fall asleep in it and we could go out ti dinner with him asleep (yay, he never fell asleep in our stokke!), light, easy fold, and being an umbrella stroller you could take it right up to the plane. The steering was its downfall, definitely a two handed job, but it git over the cobblestones fine and due to it being cheap we didnt care if it got trashed.  So a maclaren or the espirit one (I got from toys r us) would get my vote.
Good luck :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.