Help! Off to Europe
Need advice on a good travel stroller

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 simon82

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hey All,

Ok I know there are a number of these topics but after reading over the threads I have managed to narrow it down somewhat but not enough.

So our main pram is one of the Emmaljunga Duo Combi so obviously not coming overseas and frankly I am looking to sell.

So we are going to: London, Paris, Florence and return to Perth.

The requirements for our 12 month old, healthy 13kg baby girl are:
  • reclines
  • sun cover
  • can handle cobblestones (is this really such an issue, Florence seems to be only concern)
  • is light
  • Can handle being out from 10am to 5pm

I am looking at 3 on Gumtree:

- Maclaren Quest new model
- Stokke Xplory
- Bugaboo Cameleon

The Stokke and Bugaboo both have travel bags so this isn't an issue. The Quest comes with rain cover and organizer (to negate lack of storage on Quest)

My wife loves the Stokke but doesn't look entirely practical, perhaps better buying something like the Quest our Trip and the Stokke as her main pram?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

#2 sueb31

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (simon82 @ 18/04/2012, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wife loves the Stokke but doesn't look entirely practical, perhaps better buying something like the Quest our Trip and the Stokke as her main pram?

I think this is a good idea.

I don't know the Stokke or Bugabbo in detail, but I wouldn't be taking an expensive pram on an overseas trip, it is asking for trouble. I have a Maclaren Vogue that has withstood many overseas trips to UK, Europe and Canada. Recommend it very highly.

Do look into getting a travel bag for the stroller to protect it. Even if you gate check they can get manhandled. I personally wouldn't get the Maclaren bag which has wheels, as the wheels are cumbersome and to be honest, we unfold it as soon as we get it.

On the cobblestone question, the Vogue has been good. I think it has bigger wheels than the Quest. We also have a Maclaren Daytripper that I bought for travel when the kids are a bit older and not needing the layback (it was really cheap). It has smaller wheels though and you really notice the difference on rough surfaces.

HTH

Sue

Edited by sueb31, 18 April 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#3 Bluenomi

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

After going OS a few times with DD, I'd get whichever is the lighest and easiest to carry. I'd also take something cheap, I once saw a lady crying in customs because the airline had broken her Bugaboo even though it was in a travel bag. My $80 cheapy from Target was fine.

In London I'd avoid a pram if you can. I found it so much easier taking DD around in the sling when using the Tube etc.

#4 Isolabella

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

If you are using public transport in London avoid prams. Most tube stations have LOTS of stairs and no lifts. On buses if they are getting more packed they will kick you off the bus to allow more passengers on (yes happened numerous times to us - we were in London for 6wks).

Also don't go expensive. Like PP said SIL had her $800 new pram (picked up friday and flew friday night) broken on arrival.

ETA: We used a $15 Target cheapie stroller for our 20mo. It did London and Paris

Edited by lsolaBella, 18 April 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#5 simon82

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Wow this place is super helpful original.gif

We have tried the cheaper strollers before, issue is bub is a big  bub, we need the recline so she can sleep comfortably (don't want to have to return to hotel every few hours just to nap) and I am quite tall at 6 ft 3 and the prams all seem rather short original.gif

#6 Bluenomi

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (simon82 @ 18/04/2012, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow this place is super helpful original.gif

We have tried the cheaper strollers before, issue is bub is a big bub, we need the recline so she can sleep comfortably (don't want to have to return to hotel every few hours just to nap) and I am quite tall at 6 ft 3 and the prams all seem rather short original.gif

My $80 from Target have full recline and was fine on unsealed roads and bumps around the South Pacific. And trust me, kids will sleep in the weirdest ways, in Scotland DD once well asleep upright with her feet propped up on the bar at the front of the pram happy.gif

If it is just for a hoilday I really wouldn't take a good pram. So not worth the hassle with the airlines

#7 Munchkin'smum

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

The bugaboo would be great for naps, having her rear facing, and cobblestones, but not on public transport or in cafes and restaurants, the maclaren (recommend the vogue for full recline and larger wheels) would be great for smaller spaces. I would choose the maclaren however. I have spent some time in Europe with both prams, the bugaboo was great in winter with a younger baby, the Mac great with older child (12 months). Hope that helps!

#8 munchmum

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

The quicksmart is great. We took it to the UK last year. It folds to briefcase size, had a bag, a small recline and was tall enough for my 6f1 dh to push. We took it on all surfaces.

#9 *Mumma-to-A*

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Get a Maclaren. I would say a cheapie wouldn't last the trip.

I've got the Quest but would get the vogue for the slighty bigger wheels, large suncover and full recline. They are just so easy to fold too.

And pack it in a travel bag for the plane.

#10 luey08

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have the Vogue,  We have used it for travel lots. I like the bigger wheels and sunshade.  

A good carrier is handy too,  especially for the airport. I do like the city mini too but is a different fold and seems 'bigger' but is roughly the same weight as the vogue

Buy one over there,  you can get a wider variety,  saves on taking it one way too.  Arrange for it to be waiting at the hotel or visit a baby store when you get there.

#11 kittycat01

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

My bugaboo brake got broken in long haul transit in Travel bag. It was a real pain to travel with as it doesn't fit into cars well. nearly had to get 2 taxis for 3 of us! Since then, we have taken our cheapie with us which I wouldn't care about if it got broken. Was $100 in target. Got a universal rain cover for $20 I think.

Another thing to consider is bringing a carseat...scary business having to hold a 1-yr old in your lap. Happened us in Abu dhabi and none of the limo companies had one. An extra stress we didn't need

Kitty

#12 Escapin

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

We have a Stokke at home. Love it to bits - we live in Inner City Sydney and don't have a car so it's DD's primary mode of transport. Would NEVER travel with it - it's too big, doesn't really fold up and is very expensive to replace or even fix.

I recently bought a QuickSmart for traveling and it's perfect - folds up into a backpack that you can take on the plane, and it high enough at the back that it's comfortable to push around for hours.

I never thought we'd end up with 2 prams, but really, you use one every single day so you don't want to try to find a 'one size fits all situations' as you'll just be annoyed all the time.

#13 dae-gu

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Baby Jogger City Mini.
Easier to fold than the Mac, huge hood, folds really flat for travel (wheels pop off easy - can't do that on Mac) and waaaaaaay more stable than the Mac. I hung a heavy nappy bag off mummy hooks on handle, son jumped out and BJCM still stayed upright.....no Mac offers that stability.

Oh and I've travelled with both a BJCM and a Mac Vogue too, so speaking from a direct comparison.
But do get a travel bag for whatever you decide on.

Agree forget the Xplory - they have a huge fold, def not for travelling sad.gif

#14 jcbenny

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

We have the quick smart. Doesn't recline completely but if the kid is tired he/she will sleep!

Otherwise I'd just buy when im there. I love my peg perego. And apparently much cheaper there!!!

#15 Ice Queen

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

We went to europe with a 16mth old and had a mclaren quest.  I cannot believe how well it lasted.  It got used and used on cobblestones, tubes, trains etc and it came home filthy but fine.  DD slept in it fine, i always took a navy pasmina which i would drape over as soon as she fell asleep.  Suncover isnt the best but i never found that an issue like in oz.  We had a travel bag for the plane so no damage.

In addition to the stroller, we had an ergo carrier, i would HIGHLY recommend this for train stations, tubes etc.  On the days we were 'travelling' we put the stroller in the bag which had wheels, i wheeled that and my wheelie suitcase, hubby had bubs in ergo and pulled his wheelie suitcase.  Much easier than pushing the stroller.  I love the ergo.  We used it a lot in europe.

#16 Mummy fab

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I wouldnt be taking a bugaboo or a stokke overseas, definately not travelling prams.

I would recommend a baby jogger city mini, easy to fold, reclines, huge hood and light so would be easy for one of you to carry the baby and one carry the pram up stairs or something if you had to.

Good luck.

#17 damster

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Another one who says definitely not the bugaboo. With stairs, we wanted to take our little one out of the pram and carry it separately. As it's in two pieces, this would be too cumbersome. The travel case is huge too. I bought a Silvercross light stroller on eBay for all our OS trips. Still using it and it's our spare always kept in the back of the car...

#18 lizb87

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I have a stokke as my normal pram and also would never travel with it. Far too bulky, heavy snd I reckon it would be crap on the cobblestones. We did Europe with a 11 month old and bought a $150 espirit sun stroller which was perfect.  Full recline and comfy seat so he would fall asleep in it and we could go out ti dinner with him asleep (yay, he never fell asleep in our stokke!), light, easy fold, and being an umbrella stroller you could take it right up to the plane. The steering was its downfall, definitely a two handed job, but it git over the cobblestones fine and due to it being cheap we didnt care if it got trashed.  So a maclaren or the espirit one (I got from toys r us) would get my vote.
Good luck :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.