Giving Up Sugar Support Thread #5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
240 replies to this topic

#76 HollyDocker

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hi Louise,
Welcome!
normally I have an egg with a heavy bit of toast for breakfast, sometimes with sautéed mushrooms or spinach as well. For lunch, it's usually something really veg-heavy, like a salad or stir fried veggies or soup, with some sort of protein, like a tin of tuna or some left over meat. For dinner, meat and veg, pasta, curries... Pretty much anything as long as there is a generous serve of veggies and no added sugar sauces. For snacks during the day, I will usually have a small handful of nuts or seeds and maybe a piece of cheese at some point, and at night I usually have a Greek yoghurt wi flaked almonds. My appetite has dropped dramatically since starting this a few months ago.

I haven't been brave enough to add fruit back in yet, and am only just beginning to experiment with dextrose and rice malt syrup sweet things, but so far my preference is definitely for the lower GI snacks made with rice malt syrup.

I have only lost 1kg in 2 months, but I didn't start this with the intention of losing weight. I exercise regularly, eat well, and if I'm not losing weight I guess I am where I should be. Added bonuses though - I no longer suffer from insomnia, and my cycles seem to have regulated from being all over the place to 26 days!! My main goal was to cure the addiction and I've done that, so I'm really happy.

#77 catmeow82

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Salad... in the time it takes to boil pasta:

250g of pasta (or whatever u like!) put this going then grab your salad bowl

2 small cans of aldi chicken (or tuna if u don't like canned chicken!)
splash of white wine vinegar
splash of olive oil
couple of spoons of whole egg mayo

mix together then add

1-2 grated carrots
1 can of peas
1 can of 5 bean mix
handfull of grated cheese
salt and pepper to taste

mix it all then add the cooked pasta

allow to cool or eat immediatly.

yum

#78 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

i am DYING for a sugar fix.

Accidentally shoving 2 scotch fingers in my mouth this morning while checking the fridge to see what food we had certainly didn't help matters sad.gif

#79 pitzinoodles

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hi Louise! I've only been doing this for a week so can't really answer your questions, however initially I couldn't see how I wasn't going to stack on the weight given the amount of high fat snacks I was grazing on between meals. I seemed to work on the principle that it was better to eat something that wasn't sugar than get hungry. Remarkably lost 1kg this week. So don't worry too much!

#80 louise07

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies and welcomes - much appreciated!  It has been great reading the benefits (weight loss or otherwise) that you have been experiencing.  I must admit that I am hoping that this becomes a long term way of life as it is SO great not being constantly focussed on low-fat options... I feel as though food is enjoyable again rather than a chore IYKWIM!

I have been having dessert each night (choc mousse made with avocado or choc nut balls - both recipes from Sarah Wilsons website) they are so yum that it feels like a guilty indulgence!  Think my next challenge will be portion sizes though having said that I have noticed feeling fuller than what I previously would despite not eating greater quantities!

Anyway, looking forward to reading more about your journies and experiences!

Lou

#81 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (louise07 @ 30/04/2012, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I suppose I am hoping for other peoples perspective on how this style of eating has worked for them in terms of weight loss or gain?  

Also, does anyone have the time to give me a quick overview of what they eat in a typical day (not quantities, as I think this is where I have to adjust in terms of my current approach).

Welcome!!

I had no loss for the first 4 weeks, but I didn't gain either... then I lose a bundle of weight, and then I put some on and then I lost it again... lol In there was going off the pill and back on it, but I am trialling not having rice malt syrup or dextrose snacks for a while to see how my weight goes. I *seem* to be losing quicker without them. But I don't really have long enough to know. (I started just after Valentines day...)

In terms of food...

Breakfast... 2 pieces of toast with vegemite and a glass of milk

Lunch... left overs from dinner or a sandwich with tuna and mayo or fresh roll etc

Dinner.... any of the following... all of these are homemade from scratch
* Cheesey pasta (using kraft cream cheese spread)
* Creamy basil and garlic chicken (or creamy basil and garlic chicken pasta)
* homemade pizza (with tomato paste, ham, cheese, prawns, spring onion, capsicum, feta)
* beef strog with garlic mash
* creamy garlic prawns with rice
* schnitzel and chips
* roast meat with roasted veg and gravy (Gravox gravy is ok!)
* meat balls and mash (ikea meatballs, my own tomato sauce)
* spaghetti bolognaise
* lasagne
* spinach pasta bake (leggos spinach sauce)
* pesto chicken and veg
* penne carbonara
* sausages and veggies
* ham, cheese, onion, capsicum omelette
* minute steaks with veggies (I make some kinda creamy sauce... maybe just cream and tuscan spices, or to be fast a masterfoods finishing sauce maybe bernaise, it's only 2g)

I still need to make hamburgers with coleslaw! Though this might wait until summer now probably!

#82 Xander2

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Day 2 = massive headache  sad.gif

#83 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Day 2 - niggling headache... just enough to be noticed without actually hurting IYKWIM.

Also, MAJOR cake cravings.  Saw some kid's dropped marble cake (woollies type) on the floor and my brain immediately went into "OMG I MUST HAVE CAKE RIGHT NOW" mode.

I'm still thinking about it 12 hours later ddoh.gif

Generally though, feeling better already.  Still lethargic and Bleh, but mentally knowing I can get through it is helping.

#84 pitzinoodles

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

Yesterday was day1 back on sugar free after a weekend off...I didn't even make it through day 1 ddoh.gif  succumbed to cupcake grrr!

So posting in here to keep myself accountable. One day at a time...so today I'll do SF, then I'll face tomorro original.gif

#85 catmeow82

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm on a roll... for the first time in a long time I can't wait for friday weigh in!!! For the first time in at about 5 years (pre preg) I weigh less than 82kg!!!!!!!!!

Trying to decide what to have for dinner... thanks for that list pussydids. i seriously need to write myself a list i can refer to when i get stuck! I've been saying that for ages though!

#86 mummabear

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hello. I have just bought the Sweet Poison books. Is this what you are all referring back to? I am hoping to gain some support in here.

I am so sick of being fat. Even before this sugar addiction made it to the news, I used to say..it isn't my meals, but all the sugar laden crap in between that makes me fat! Now after reading Sweet Poison I realise I had the answer years ago.

I am hoping I have the right tools now...I haven't started yet..I need to restock my pantry.

#87 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

Welcome Mummabear!

You'll not regret it!

#88 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Day 3:  Still have cravings.  Headache niggling all day, but bearable.  Drinking lots of water!

QUOTE (mummabear @ 02/05/2012, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello. I have just bought the Sweet Poison books. Is this what you are all referring back to? I am hoping to gain some support in here.

I am so sick of being fat. Even before this sugar addiction made it to the news, I used to say..it isn't my meals, but all the sugar laden crap in between that makes me fat! Now after reading Sweet Poison I realise I had the answer years ago.

I am hoping I have the right tools now...I haven't started yet..I need to restock my pantry.

Welcome Mummabear!   Many of us are referring to the Sweet Poison Quit Plan, but there are some who are weaning rather than going cold turkey via the I Quit Sugar ebook by Sarah Wilson.

If you've got the SPQP, you're fully stocked on all the information you'll need.  We have it on the Ipad, and carried it around shopping with us for a few weeks to check the ingredients list.  You'll eventually find it just turns into your regular habits, just without the crap on the side.

Some things I would recommend:

* stock up on your preferred nuts.  You're going to want to stuff your face the first week or so, so use nuts as your "Yes, I've eaten, bugger off with the messages" food.  

* ditto cheese.  Any kind.

* get yourself some diet cordial (Bickfords is good) and either some chilled water, soda water or diet lemonade.  Use this as your softdrink replacement.  Eventually the diet lemonade will taste all metallicy and weird, and you can drop back to fizzy water if you need the bubbles.

* bananas and double cream make an excellent dessert if that's a habit you currently have.

* Meal plan, meal plan, meal plan.  And have backups.  The lite n easy style meals are all low on sugar, so if you suspect you have a few rough nights coming up, stock up on those.  I've also discovered today the Latina spag bog in the Latina pasta section is excellent, and less than 2g sugar, so check out their other meal range, too.

*  Carbs - I'm a big carb fiend, so I swear to god, we ate pasta variants 3x a week for the first month and still lost.  I needed the comfort food to get through the cravings, so I went hard.

* full fat dairy.  Oh. My. God.  Tea has never tasted so good.  Or been so satisfying.  I also never realised how sweet cream was; previously it had been SO bland.  Now, I love it.

* feeling hungry.  You WILL feel hungry.  If you've had lots of sugar in your diet for along time, your body has forgotten how to control it's appetite.  That's most of the reason for any weight gain, along with the straight out conversion of fructose to fat.  Roll with it.  Have your selection of fructose-free snacks.  Eat as much as you need.  In about 3-4 weeks you will find (quite to your surprise) that you've got a half a packet of peanuts in the pantry you haven't touched in a week.  Your snacking habit will cure itself, in the meantime, don't set yourself up for defeat.  Be prepared!!

* going out.  If you've got social events, I recommend being the person who brings the following:

-- cheese and kabana
-- plain corn chips and medium salsa (any brand)
-- salted popcorn
-- the nut and vege platter

They're all good social platters that are fructose free, so you can indulge in the party without indulging in the sugar.

Good luck!!

Edited by SexyCat, 02 May 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#89 mummabear

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thankyou for the welcomes, and Sexycat, thanks for all that helpful advice! I am thinking I will start on Monday...I still want to read a little more, restock, and get on with it all still fresh in my mind.

I am a chocoholic, so I am envisioning this to be very very difficult. The book says I don't need willpower, but I think I will need a massive amount of it! It is the only part of what I have read so far that I disagree with!

What kind of weightloss has everyone achieved going sugar free? I need to shed 20kg. EEk. thats just so much..why did I do this to myself?

#90 louise07

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hi Mummabear,

I am relatively new to this whole thing also.  I have jumped in feet first and whilst I know that I have made little slip ups along the way it hasn't been anywhere as near as hard as I expected.  I have only been at it for a few weeks and I know that I have put on weight (haven't weighed myself, see my other post about me and scales!) but it is also that time of the month so I am *hoping* that my gains are just fluid.  More importantly though I have been feeling really great.  Prior to starting this program I went through about 3 weeks of CONSTANT headaches.  Since quitting sugar I haven't had one.  Maybe coincidential, but hey, I will run with it as I was SO over the niggling pain.

SexyCat's suggestions are really good.  Two things that I will add are:
- activated nuts - Sarah Wilson talks about this in her ebook.  They are so yummy.  I have a handful each morning in yoghurt and LOVE it.  

- rice syrup - I know that both the Sweet Poison book and Sarah's ebook talk about detoxing from all sweet food before introducing in sweet things but I have been using this a little bit in cooking since starting and for me, it makes this whole process more achievable.  I figure that the amount I am eating is far less than before I began this approach.  But do your own reading and make up your own mind.  So far I have made choc nut balls (using Cacao nibs) and choc mousse (Cacao nibs and avocado combined with other ingredients) - both of which are really yummy.  I have only a little bit and have felt satisfied.  

Take care

#91 mamacantik

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi ladies,
I am 2.5 weeks in and feeling great - in SOME ways: got loads more energy and clarity. I am getting things done, feeling strong and having barely any sugar cravings. Last night my husband made a chicken curry and i had to ask him 3 times if he'd added sugar because it tasted so sweet, but nope, was just the creaminess of the coconut milk :-) - goes to show how differently you notice sweetness when you aren't having as much of it!
However, on the down side, this week my bowels have gone nuts - literally. I have IBS which has been very well managed with diet for quite a while now (not why I chose to go sugar free). For the past week I have been experiencing lots of IBS like symptoms - which I am thinking is because I have added so many nuts/seeds into my diet and also perhaps my return to full fat dairy? I never eat/drink a lot of dairy anyway (because of the IBS) but I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience? It's a little disheartening, seeing as in every other way I feel great, but looks like I might have to rejig quite a few of my dietary choices to not put so much pressure on my poor bowels :-(. I might try getting the old grinder out and grinding most of the nuts/seeds to make them easier to digest. but will be sad to not be able to dive into my nuts/seed stash whenever I feel peckish!

Edited by mamacantik, 02 May 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#92 mamacantik

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Catmeow, which of the full egg mayonaisses don't have sugar? I love mayo and I have the Paul Newman one here (which I bought before the sugar quitting)  but I see it has cane sugar in it :-( would love any brand recommendations to save me having to label read when next in the supermarket!

#93 catmeow82

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Today was all good until there was a birthday in my bible study group. There was cheese at morning tea (amoungst tonnes of cake) so i thought i was on the home stretch until one of my group brough out an icecream cake (homemade) and practically forced us all to eat (oh... its melting u have to have some...). I had a small piece and could barely manage it. i kinda let it melt and left the melted bits... i'd never dare do such a thing before!!!

otherwise i did ok. we had steak for dinner in wrap bread with garlic sauce... it was yum.

i did body balance at the gym today. kinda a cross of yoga, tai chi and pilates. it was really good. i need toning and stretching and strengthing.

Welcome Mummabear original.gif It is a bit hard at the beginning but once you know what you can eat and work out what suits you it gets easier. I only struggle in social situations (as above) now really. Cheese, nuts, corn chips (plain), plain chips, bbq shapes, plain greek yogurt, eggs, cream, milk. there is so much 'safe' stuff you can eat. i was scared to start but once i did it was all good. i've been at it since the end of jan and have lost 3kg. not a lot but i'm only just getting a hang of my new appettite control. i found i was still eating for the sake of eating despite not being hungry.

i made iced chocolates for dessert. they weren't as great as a real one but it was nice none the less. i feel the need to pick at food but i am going to stop myself. i'm not hungry!

#94 catmeow82

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

We buy the Aldi egg mayo. no sugar. it is veg oil though which is annoying but i haven't found an olive oil based one yet and i don't want to have to keep making fresh batches of homemade. i might make some homemade if i think i'll need it a few days running but i tend to use it randomly!

#95 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

To various PP's

12kg from August - 63kg->51kg.  I didn't start for weightloss though, I did it for the health benefits re: cortisol hormones suppressing the immune system.  I did need to lose some weight, being outside the healthy weight range for my height, but I didn't expect these results!  DH has lost 17kg in the same timeframe, 104->87kg.

RE: bowels.

Mine went really weird for a while after beginning detoxing, and are doing so again now.  DH's however, have settled down quite a bit (from report and leftover stench Tounge1.gif ) so you should hopefully see it settle in the next few weeks.

#96 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Cravings for apple pie (particularly the pastry) and Topdeck chocolate tonight.

Surprise AF isn't helping things.

#97 TheGreenSheep

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hey sexycat, I just ate some Lindt balls. Sadly I have a terrible virus and sinus and couldn't really taste them anyway  ddoh.gif  waste of sugar!!!

#98 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (mummabear @ 02/05/2012, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of weightloss has everyone achieved going sugar free? I need to shed 20kg. EEk. thats just so much..why did I do this to myself?

Don't worry mummabear, I need to lose 20kg from each thigh!!! I have 50kg to lose in total.

Honestly, I used to have so much sugar I would have been pickled! I found it surprisingly easy. While I still think "awww I wish I could have chocolate" I can easily resist it, I just still wish for it.

QUOTE (mamacantik @ 02/05/2012, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Catmeow, which of the full egg mayonaisses don't have sugar? I love mayo and I have the Paul Newman one here (which I bought before the sugar quitting)  but I see it has cane sugar in it :-( would love any brand recommendations to save me having to label read when next in the supermarket!

I also found one at Costco that is sugar free too original.gif (It is a huge container!)

#99 Lightning_bug

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

The Big Morning Tea is coming up and they want everyone to bring something.  Considering we have three diabetics and I'm starting to cut back on sugar (with the intention of going sugar free eventually - I just can't shake the one sugar in the coffee!).

Any recommendations on what I can take to include all of us but which is comparable to what will be on the table (and tempting us...)

#100 catmeow82

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

lighteningbug - oooh... i'm good that that now! For sugarfree i'd do maybe plain chips, grainwaves, good cheeses, bag of mixed nuts (if your allowed to take nuts), fancy finger sandwiches, cubes of tastes cheese and cabanossi etc! for fructose free i'd make a slice or biscuits with RMS or dextrose. I found a recipe for nativa brownies yesterday... would be good for sugar free. be careful how you decribe your baking to the diabetics... if using dex and rms it is FRUCTOSE FREE not SUGAR FREE

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.