Giving Up Sugar Support Thread #5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
240 replies to this topic

#51 Frazzled Cat

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

sad.gif I'm sorry you're feeling like sh*t LeishaRee   bbighug.gif  drink lots of water tomorrow, just like an alcohol hangover!

#52 RebelWithoutAClaws

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

LeishaRee I hope you are feeling better today!

#53 mamacantik

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Hi, I am another new girl.
I'm almost 2 weeks into my 8 week sugar free experiment (following Sarah Wilson's ebook guidelines). I am not a huge sugar eater - but my weaknesses are CHOCOLATE, FRUIT JUICE and a little more CHOCOLATE.... over Easter I disgusted myself with how little self control I had eating my way through anything even vaguely chocolate I could find around the house so knew it was time to quit. Also, I had gestational diabetes in my last pregnancy, have irritable bowel and have long known sugar is bad for me. So I am excited by this journey!
I am going cold turkey - giving up all fruit as well, because I know I need to fully break the sugar habit before I can add a little sweetness back into my life.
I didn't find the first week very hard at all. I think I was so determined to do it well that I just did. I didn't have any headaches, or in fact any negative symptoms at all. Just a few cravings.
This week has been HARDER. Still no real negative symptoms but the cravings have got worse and worse. There is an unopened box of PEANUT BUTTER Lindt Balls in the spare room and I so want to open them and eat every single last one. But I won't  original.gif .
I am enjoying the return to full cream dairy (used to have low fat) and using nuts, seeds and plain yoghurt (Gipssland organic) as my main stay for when the cravings get too much - a new fave is yoghurt with pepitas and sunflower seeds that I have grilled in the griller for a few minutes to add a bit of crunch and then some cacao nibs (LLLOOOVVVINGGG these). Oh and lots of cinnamon.
And to counter my drinking problem (always want sweet juices to drink) I am drinking lots of water, herbal teas and coconut water.
So hoping next week things get a little easier!
I am also working to reduce my kids sugar intake (all 3 have terrible eczema which i know sugar feeds). Sugar free kids snack suggestions welcome.
Thanks for letting me join :-).

#54 catmeow82

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

greek yogurt with cacao nibs and slivered almonds is so yum

#55 Loveyourwork

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

I have been sugar free for about a month now and am continually amazed at the changes in my body. My appetite has reduced dramatically - I am hardly snacking at all, and am even finding if I have a big lunch I don't really need dinner. My IBS has vanished, my skin has improved, and the best part - I don't crave chocolate anymore! I had a bite of a tictoc biscuit yesterday and was amazed at how sickly sweet it was. So sickly I didn't finish it.

Questions I have for the experts -
where do you buy cacao nibs from?

Is there anywhere apart from Big W that sells dextrose? I enjoy baking so would like to have some on hand. My nearest Big W is a bit of a trip away and when I went yesterday the dextrose shelf was empty - Grrrrrr!

I have xylitol in the cupboard and just picked up some Natvia from Coles. I know xylitol is on the "your call list" but I don't know anything about Natvia. Does anyone use this? I only use the sugar alternatives in baking, I don't drink tea or coffee or add it to anything else.

THANKS

#56 mamacantik

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

LoveYourWork: I picked up the cacao nibs from my local health food store. The brand is Loving Earth. Top right of their website screen lists Stockists. Hope that helps.

And it's so great to hear of all the benefits you are seeing. Helps me stay strong  in my resolve wink.gif

#57 Schnitzelvonkrumb

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

QUOTE (Loveyourwork @ 25/04/2012, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Questions I have for the experts -
where do you buy cacao nibs from?

Is there anywhere apart from Big W that sells dextrose? I enjoy baking so would like to have some on hand. My nearest Big W is a bit of a trip away and when I went yesterday the dextrose shelf was empty - Grrrrrr!

I have xylitol in the cupboard and just picked up some Natvia from Coles. I know xylitol is on the "your call list" but I don't know anything about Natvia. Does anyone use this? I only use the sugar alternatives in baking, I don't drink tea or coffee or add it to anything else.

THANKS

I buy the cacoa nibs from a health food store.
Dextrose you can also get from beer brewing shops - try the yellow pages. Sadly, dextrose doesn't really agree with my stomach and i know this isn't a totally rare reaction, so maybe don't do what I did and go and buy a lifetime supply first up laughing2.gif
Natvia is a blend of stevia and Erythritol. I am happy to use it, but only use small quantities because it is pretty expensive, especially when you are tying to sub whole cups of sugar in recipes.
I have also purchased a bottle of sweetleaf vanilla creme stevia which is lovely in Greek yoghurt,  sparkling mineral water to make "creaming soda" and in home made custard etc. You can buy this on eBay.

#58 RebelWithoutAClaws

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (Loveyourwork @ 25/04/2012, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been sugar free for about a month now and am continually amazed at the changes in my body. My appetite has reduced dramatically - I am hardly snacking at all, and am even finding if I have a big lunch I don't really need dinner.

I feel fantastic! I have much more energy! I am able to do HEAPS of stuff in one day when before I would struggle to do a few :/ I used to spend all holidays snacking and eating crap. This week I've been home alone and all I've had is brekkie and lunch. I don't kind of hide what I am eating anymore. I used to eat choc and lollies during the day when no one was here because I was embarrassed I knew it wasn't normal. Now I feel like my eating habits are more normal (though without that horrible sweet poison wink.gif ). I figure if I drop weight, it's a bonus (I do have 50kg to lose) but it doesn't feel like it's a just until I lose weight thing, it's a this is my new life thing original.gif Best thing I EVER did!

I also love that I'm cooking more fresh food and trying recipes for things that I wouldn't have before!

Last night I made beef strog from scratch with garlic mash and tonight I'm making creamy garlic prawns original.gif

#59 Frazzled Cat

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Right, after this week of CATS I am SO going back into detox. Poor sleep I think can be directly attributed to the sugar I've been consuming, along with a generally "blah" feeling towards life. There's just no way I'm getting through the next 4 nights without sugar, so I'm not setting myself up to fail detox.

It's amazing how easy it is to slip... I went to work today saying sternly to myself "You are only going to eat the food you have brought"

2 slices of cake, 1 piece of pizza with BBQ sauce and a chocolate brownie later...

Far.

Out.

I feel like sh*t, too, and have gone back to feeling like I need to nap in the afternoons (because of rubbish night sleep!) rant.gif

Next Monday, we start afresh! In the meantime, try and limit the jellybeans to a dozen, rather than 2 Tounge1.gif

#60 gabbigirl

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

After being in this group  a little while back and being sugar free for three weeks I completely fell off the wagon, and having chocolate every day.  I weighed myself and have put on 5 kilos!! argh. I just not sure that I can do it merely through willpower...I have to plan plan plan so I don't get caught out.  by planning I mean having meals/snacks on hand so I avoid going out when at work. Also, a list of distractions when I know i am getting hit by a craving..for eg.  go vacuum, visit some of my faourite websites, go for a walk.  any other ideas?  what do you do when you know its going to be a hard afternoon

DOn't know if its been covered as I've been away from these threads for a while but has anyone tried supplementation that assists with sugar cravings.  I think its chromium?  And has anyone tried hypnotherapy...

These may be covered in one the books such as SP but I haven't got a copy.

#61 fruitbat72

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Today is my 40th and I decided that I was going to allow myself to have a bit of sugar

DF and I went to one of our favourite cafes and had Mars Bar ice cream (delicious and to die for - if I was going to have sugar, it was going to be worth it)

As yummy as it was, I ended up giving half to DF to feed to DD2 - I think that is a good sign of not being so sugar obsessed that I had had enough halfway. Before, there would have been blood spilled before I gave away my dessert. biggrin.gif

We are going on holidays next week so I will relax a bit but try to be good.

#62 TheGreenSheep

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hey welcome to the newbies!! Welcome back gabbigirl!

Happy belated 40th fruitbat! Hope it was lovely.

Pussydids, you've done amazing stuff. You should read back the threads to when you joined, wow!

I've been MIA this week, spoiling myself and having some sugar through a frenzy of birthday parties and i just thought WTH, I'm eating cake too. Whoops. Put on weight for the first time in ages. So back to sugar free today!!

#63 pitzinoodles

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

It's great reading the experiences of those who've been sugar free for a while. It's great to see how people are not wanting all of desert etc.

I ate quite a bit of choc last night and have my son's christening tomorrow, so won'tvbe too strict tomorrow, but actually haven't felt like sweet stuff today. Have a headache which I thought was due to my cold, but given other people's replies, maybe it's from all the highs last night!

Next week full on sugar free for me. How did others find week 2? Is it worse than week 1?

#64 mamacantik

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Pitzinoodles, I am almost at the end of week 2 and finding it is getting much easier during the day - no way near as many cravings and in fact I haven't been that hungry at all.

But at night, still really totally craving something lovely and sweet after dinner. I am trying to have extra large meals for now and my ABSOLUTE lifesaver is plain yoghurt with cacao nibs, nuts and seeds (about to have a second bowl right now ;-)) - I am also trying to have early nights. Seems to help too :-)

#65 ~Elphaba~

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hey sexycat. Can you share your recipe for your basil cream sauce you use on your pasta?

#66 Frazzled Cat

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

Not me,  I'm afraid Elphaba, I think you probably want Taradiddle for that one.  We're a strictly tomato-pasta family LOL

I'm currently high on M&Ms.  One show to go and I can get back on the detox wagon!

#67 RebelWithoutAClaws

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (TheGreenSheep @ 28/04/2012, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pussydids, you've done amazing stuff. You should read back the threads to when you joined, wow!

awww thank you!

QUOTE (~Elphaba~ @ 28/04/2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey sexycat. Can you share your recipe for your basil cream sauce you use on your pasta?

I just heat some philly cream for cooking in a fry pan until it warms and is runny, then I add some of the basil stuff that you buy in a tube from the fruit n veg section of the supermarket. Sometimes I saute garlic before heating the cream!

Sometimes I cook chicken breasts first and take them out and make the sauce and then serve with veggies. Other times I will cook chicken breast strips first and then make the sauce and put the strips and pasta in original.gif

I also make a yummy cheesy sauce pasta using the kraft cream cheese in a jar in the spread aisle and heat it up with some milk.

The creamy garlic prawns were AWESOME btw!

This week I had a 1.5kg loss, w00t!

Today I have gone off the sugar wagon, but on purpose. I had to taste test the cupcakes for the wedding. I still have a few flavours to try. But I am only having 1/2 of each small cupcake to test. So in total I had 2 cupcakes. I will have 2 more tomorrow. I will make sure I have cook sugar free snacks for this week and if I can get through the week without gaining I'll be super happy, but expect to gain for this next week.

#68 catmeow82

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

mmmmm p*ssydids... i need to try some of your recipes. i reckon the kids might like them!

I had a bit of a problem at work last night. (I'm a nurse, if u r new and don't know). I was on til 10:30pm and by about 9pm i was exhausted. normally i'd gorge on chocolate or lollies (despite not being hungry) and get through the shift. i tried having a nibble of 85% dark but i just wasn't hungry. i didn't actually feel like anything! I had so much work to do and ended up having to stay back til 11pm due to a very sick child (so i needed my brain to be in gear!). It would have been easy if i was hungry... i had plenty of options (milk, cheese, 85% dark choc, nuts etc). I'm going to pack some of the kids dextrose lollies so i have a back up but i was trying to limit how much dextrose/rms etc i was having.

yawn... back to work again this arvo. can't wait until tomorrow when the kids go to daycare and i can clean the house! the kids have torn it apart... seriously... it is the worst part of working weekends!

great news - this week i hit a new low. 82kg! Hopefully this week I can break it!

#69 ~Elphaba~

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (PussyDids @ 28/04/2012, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
awww thank you!

I just heat some philly cream for cooking in a fry pan until it warms and is runny, then I add some of the basil stuff that you buy in a tube from the fruit n veg section of the supermarket. Sometimes I saute garlic before heating the cream!

Sometimes I cook chicken breasts first and take them out and make the sauce and then serve with veggies. Other times I will cook chicken breast strips first and then make the sauce and put the strips and pasta in original.gif

I also make a yummy cheesy sauce pasta using the kraft cream cheese in a jar in the spread aisle and heat it up with some milk.

The creamy garlic prawns were AWESOME btw!

This week I had a 1.5kg loss, w00t!

Today I have gone off the sugar wagon, but on purpose. I had to taste test the cupcakes for the wedding. I still have a few flavours to try. But I am only having 1/2 of each small cupcake to test. So in total I had 2 cupcakes. I will have 2 more tomorrow. I will make sure I have cook sugar free snacks for this week and if I can get through the week without gaining I'll be super happy, but expect to gain for this next week.

Thanks. Will try it tonight!

#70 pitzinoodles

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

That's good to hear mamacantik.

I've had a great day with DS's christening, but just saw a photo of me from earlier in the day and totally revved up to do the sugar free thing properly now. Having got through most of last week I know I can do it again this week.

Just need to rid our house of left over cakes etc...and not by eating them! biggrin.gif

Edited by pitzinoodles, 29 April 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#71 Schnitzelvonkrumb

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Argh! last night I had my first dextrose-based dessert... I made a chocolate self-saucing sponge pudding, mainly because DH is really missing my weekend desserts. I had a smallish serve wit Greek yoghurt. I slept HORRIBLY last night - tossing, turning, hot sweats, uncomfortable tummy... Is this normal? a coincidence? Because it was high-GI?

#72 Xander2

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hi Eveyone,
This is day 1 sugar free for me today!  So far so good (ha ha ha, I've only been at work for 15 minutes!).
I had porridge for breakfast and don't feel hungry (yet).  BUT I can't stop thinking about what I'm going to eat next, even though I'm not hungry yet.
Better do some work to take my mind off it.....

Happy 40th for the other day Fruitbat!
Xan  biggrin.gif

#73 Frazzled Cat

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Welcome Xander!

Schnitzel, I have No Idea what might have caused that!

I'm on Day 1 re-detoxing, myself.  CATS is over, Chess hasn't yet started rehearsing.  My big challenge for the day will be resisting the biscuits during choir break. And possibly the Scotch fingers DH may have left in the pantry - I'm deliberately not looking!

Had an irritating sniffle the last few days, but I've been taking my olive leaf extract which is hopefully keeping it at bay.  Slept until 930 this morning, which is unheard of since going sugar-free initially.  I'm kind of glad though, since it means 2 less hours to crave sugar in!

will be going hard on the cups of tea, and I need to go out to buy dinner supplies so I'll make sure I get some good ham and make sandwiches for the rest of the week so I can avoid the staff room!

Good luck sugar free-ers!

#74 louise07

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi all,

Hoping I can join in?

I have been largely sugar-free for the last week or two (largely as I am sure I accidently/unintentionally have had some in foods not prepared by me!).

Decided to go sugar-free as I have tried every diet under the sun in the last 5 or so years. Had big success with one diet between baby 1 and 2 (lost 30 or so kgs), however after baby 2 I am back to being 10-15kg heavier than when I fell pregnant (so still 15-20 kgs lighter than I was pre-kids).  Now, 3 years on, I am slowly recognising that in this process I have completely mucked up my metabolism and my perception of healthy eating and body measurements.  The crunch came when I found myself weighing myself up to 4 times before my shower in an attempt to get the 'right' number on the scale so that I could have a 'good day'!

So, two or so weeks ago I decided to put away my scales for a month, go sugar free and to see what happens.  At this point in time I would like to say that this is the way I want to eat from here on in as all that I have read about it makes sense and is logical, but I know that I am feeling a little bit nervous about how it will work for me.  I am sure that I have put on a bit of weight (which, for me can be a few kgs as my weight seems to fluctuate significantly at any one point in time which freaks me out and is, I am sure, attributal to the diet I mentioned before). I don't want to get on the scales yet as I am not sure I will want to continue if that is the case.  

So I suppose I am hoping for other peoples perspective on how this style of eating has worked for them in terms of weight loss or gain?  

Also, does anyone have the time to give me a quick overview of what they eat in a typical day (not quantities, as I think this is where I have to adjust in terms of my current approach).

TIA - hope this hasn't been too long, think I needed to just get it all out there for me to process as much as to share here!!!

Edited by louise07, 30 April 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#75 Frazzled Cat

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Welcome louise!

I have had excellent success in terms of weightloss - nearly 13kg to date since October last year, including a gain over Xmas, but there are other members on here who have struggled a great deal with their losses despite having more to lose.  They have all, however, reported an increase in their feelings of health and vitality, which has helped keep them much more positive about their new lifestyle than struggling on a regular diet would.

For me, this is a typical *work* day (I teach).

Breakfast - 2 cups of tea, full fat milk.  I've never been a breakfast eater, makes me feel sick, and I'm usually still not hungry from dinner the night before.  

Morning tea - protein of some sort. One of either: Tuna snackpack, baked beans on some rice crackers, ham and cheese sandwich, leftover dinner.  Cup of tea, FF milk

Lunch - 1 piece of fruit.  Sometimes with a packet of potato chips if lunch was small.  More tea!

Dinner - our regular meals include:

Pasta - either spag bog, tuna pasta or chilli bacon

Burgers - chicken or sausage

Mince - stew or lazy stroganoff

Meat and vege - chicken, sausage or snowy river pasties.   In summer with salad of carrot, tomato, cucumber.  In winter with selection of frozen veges and steamed potato.

Homemade pizza - on the base in the Italian flag box from supermarket.  Tomato paste and pizza cheese.  Mine with ham, fresh tomato, tinned pineapple.  His with ham, pepperoni, mushroom, tomato, chilli.

Backup dinners:  Jaffles!  I'll usually have banana, but if not available, we'll both have baked beans.  Technically they're over the 3g/100 for added sugar, but only just and we don't eat them every night like we used to.

Takeout dinners:  red rooster - he gets a roll without mayo, I get the tropicana pack, or we get the 2 for $10 quarter chicken packs and add our own salad.   Fish and chips.  Pizza (i'll eat 2 slices, he eats slightly more).  

Occassionally we'll have dessert.  We were having icecream until we discovered I'd misread the label, so now we're back to bananas and double cream if we want it, which if we've had a good dinner, we don't.

Hope that helps!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.