Head Lice
Prevention eco.kid shampoo?? anygood??

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ~~KIM~~

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi there,

I am continuing to fit the battle of getting rid of lice. I had thought I had succeeded until tonight  sad.gif Seriously not happy but will continue the fight. Once I finally succeed I am keen to stop them ever coming back.

Has anyone tried any of the products available or do you have a home remedy that works for you? I have searched the archives but couldn't find a recent post.

eco.kid Prevent Sensitive Daily Shampoo 500ml - has anyone tried this?

Edited by ~~KIM~~, 15 April 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#2 AMPSyd

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Tea tree oil in a spray water bottle - I use 500 mls water with approx 25 drops of tea tree oil in it. Spray over their heads before school. My FIL also swears by eucalyptus oil in a water spray bottle (apparently his Mum used this). You can even buy a commercial tea tree shampoo (I've seen them in Woolworths).

#3 my serenity

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

so far doing DD hair everyday in a mix of conditioner water and tea tree oil mix has worked
and has done so for both my DS for 15 yrs

#4 caesie'n'linc

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

De Lorenzo!  Their head lice treatment is fantastic!!!

It's not too toxic either, well it certainly doesn't have that chemical smell like some others have.  It works first time every time for us so far...I bought a cheap product when I discovered head lice last week but it hasn't really worked so I'm off to buy some De Lorenzo treatment tomorrow.
oops, forgot to mention that the De Lorenzo treatment comes in a pack which also includes a preventative shampoo original.gif

Also, if you have a dryer, put all the pillows in there for half an hour or so to kill any that might be lurking there.

Edited by caesie'n'linc, 15 April 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#5 libbylu

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Rather than relying on a once off 'kill all', the trick is to go on the attack for two solid weeks.  Every second night comb through the hair with thickly applied conditioner and a lice comb.  Do the whole head twice.  You will then stun and comb out any lice that are there before they are big enough to reproduce and lay eggs, but you have to keep at it.  Lice are getting immune to most headlice treatments, and even the good ones won't often kill them all.  It only takes one or two eggs to survive and a week later you are re-infested.

#6 ~~KIM~~

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Libbylu, yes I agree and that is what I am doing now. THis however is hard work and once I have finished I don't want to have to do it ever again!!!!!!!

I think I might get some tea tree oil to make up some spray and also get some Tea Tree shampoo.

#7 caesie'n'linc

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (libbylu @ 15/04/2012, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rather than relying on a once off 'kill all', the trick is to go on the attack for two solid weeks.  Every second night comb through the hair with thickly applied conditioner and a lice comb.  Do the whole head twice.  You will then stun and comb out any lice that are there before they are big enough to reproduce and lay eggs, but you have to keep at it.  Lice are getting immune to most headlice treatments, and even the good ones won't often kill them all.  It only takes one or two eggs to survive and a week later you are re-infested.

I do this too, but I still use the De Lorenzo stuff to kill the lice so my kids aren't scratching and aren't spreading the lice around at school (they go back tomorrow, we only discovered lice last weekend, pretty sure I got them all but I know one child in DS1s class still has them because she was scratching when we saw her at the shops yesterday sad.gif ).

#8 ~~KIM~~

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

caesie'n'linc where do you buy it from?

#9 ms flib

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

We do the comb through with either conditioner or sorbolene which can be better for sensitive skin. Then we put vinegar through the hair using a spray bottle. The vinegar dissolves the glue that holds the eggs on. Usually that is enough.

Nits have a life cycle of a week so it's worth following up a week later just in case. We find this works for us.

#10 watermelon75

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

I heard vinegar does a good job!

#11 ~~KIM~~

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Just wondering with the vinegar, you first apply conditioner leave it on and then put on vinegar. Do you dilute the vinegar?

#12 Ireckon

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (AMPSyd @ 15/04/2012, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tea tree oil in a spray water bottle - I use 500 mls water with approx 25 drops of tea tree oil in it. Spray over their heads before school. My FIL also swears by eucalyptus oil in a water spray bottle (apparently his Mum used this). You can even buy a commercial tea tree shampoo (I've seen them in Woolworths).

We do this too - good keeping bugs away, plus we all love the smell original.gif

#13 Xiola

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Neem oil is the best preventative.  I mix up neem, tea-tree and lavender and spray on my boys hair everyday.  It really does keep the nits away.  You can also get neem soap and neem shampoo.

#14 Amanda_R

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

I've found that it's worth combing with the conditioner mix, rinse and then comb again.  In my experience more eggs were removed post rinsing than while the conditioner was in the hair.  I just mix tea tree and conditioner for the 'everyday' combing solution.

QUOTE (Xiola @ 18/04/2012, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neem oil is the best preventative.  I mix up neem, tea-tree and lavender and spray on my boys hair everyday.  It really does keep the nits away.  You can also get neem soap and neem shampoo.

That isn't Neem oil, that is tea tree and lavender oil combined.  Neem oil comes from the Neem tree (Azadirachta indica), and is commonly found in the pest control section in gardening stores. wink.gif

#15 me-n-b

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Neem oil is supposed to be really good for treating head lice.  You can dilute it with olive oil and leave on for a while then comb out.  I wouldn't use it as a preventative though, I think it pongs wink.gif
DDs just had head lice too, lucky its just been holidays so hopefully everyone will have treated.  All their hats get put in a basket together at school and they are on and off all day, I am amazed that this is the first time she's had them!!
Has anyone tried one of those metal lice combs?  I read that they are good, but I bought the kp treatment which had one inside and it was awfull - it just ripped our hair out so we went back to the plastic one.

#16 Xiola

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

That isn't Neem oil, that is tea tree and lavender oil combined. Neem oil comes from the Neem tree (Azadirachta indica), and is commonly found in the pest control section in gardening stores.

Actually it is neem oil.  I've been using it for 2 years mixed with tea tree and lavender successfully as a preventative.  If you do a google search you'll find heaps of information on how it works but this link provides the basic details:

http://www.neemoil.com.au/index.php?_a=cat...d09c2704d16a362

It's a little stinky but that smell doesn't last and my kids prefer that to getting nits.

#17 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Lice Breaker Comb and cheap conditioner. Have no trouble getting rid of nits with the Lice Breaker Comb. I usually get all nits and eggs out with that comb. It's the best!

For my 3 year old (curly hair/won't let me comb it) I use Full Marks solution form the chemist. Kills nits/eggs in 10 minutes and it's natural.

If your having problems with recurring nits make sure you are not missing any nits or eggs. A good nit comb is essential and follow up treatments within 7 days of initial treatment is a must to catch hatched eggs/missed nits. Also make sure you treat everyone in the family. I have had one nit and not been scratching.

We do not wash DD's hair during the week. I always put it in a plat and we use a prevention spray or hair spray.

#18 Amanda_R

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Xiola @ 19/04/2012, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually it is neem oil.  I've been using it for 2 years mixed with tea tree and lavender successfully as a preventative.  If you do a google search you'll find heaps of information on how it works but this link provides the basic details:

http://www.neemoil.com.au/index.php?_a=cat...d09c2704d16a362

It's a little stinky but that smell doesn't last and my kids prefer that to getting nits.

Ahh lol, I read wrong sorry. laughing2.gif  I thought you were saying you were mixing up your 'neem' by mixing tea tree and lavender oil.  Not neem oil with tea tree and lavender.  Don't mind me, carry on. Tounge1.gif

#19 Morts!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I have a spray bottle with a mix of water, a teaspoon of tea tree oil, a few drops of lavender oil and a squirt of leave-in conditioner which I use when I do my girls' hair every morning. I also use a preventative spray by Hit Nitz 4 6 every day and since I've been using it (all year so far) they haven't had any lice at all.

Edited by Morts!, 20 April 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#20 MooMoosMummy

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hi Op,

We use the Eco.kids range and the metal comb/conditioner combination.  

We use the Eco.kids shampoo at night and then comb with a metal
lice comb after lathering with cheap conditioner (this is preventative not to treat).  

Then before school I spray with Eco.kids leave in conditioner and I style DS's hair with their styling cement.  And yes, we do this every school day and when he has contact with other kids (excessive, I know  blush.gif) BUT we have not had nits in 2 years since we started following this routine (despite his class being riddled with them).

They also make a Lice 'bomb' which I haven't used (there hasn't been a need)  ddance.gif

HTH

#21 fordmum

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

Have you all noticed that the average teenager (aka High School Student) doesn't appear to get head lice aka nits as easily, if at all.

As such, I have a question for absolutely everyone that was put to me by a Health Nurse in Victoria some years ago...

"What is the difference between Primary School and High School children?"

Believe me it is not completely obvious in the first instance, but the answer if you have not thought of it is...

...Product!  Teenagers and even the average adult uses product in their hair.  Whether it be hair spray, mousse, gel or some other product.  You are also talking about regularly using a water spray bottle with tea tree oil/conditioner/lavendar oil.

The whole point is you are putting something on the hair on a daily basis that prevents nits/head lice from sticking to the hair.

As we are exceptionally sensitive to lavendar and tea tree oil, and placing conditioner on the hair creates excessively oily hair, I have been putting 'product', in particular mousse as it is what I use, on my DD5's hair since commencing childcare some years ago and had never had a problem until last year when she started school in Term 4 (yes we live in SA) when I made the mistake that when she had her hair 'some in and some out' that I did not put it on the hair that was not tied up and low-and-behold she got head lice. This year I have religiously put 'product' on her hair everyday (like I used to when she went to childcare and kindergarten) regardless of the style and have not had an issue.  In addition, it keeps DD's hair pretty neat and tidy all day.

Some of you may think it will wreck your child's hair but think about your own self and the fact that as we wash our hair every 2nd-3rd day (more often strips our hair of it's natural oils and makes it go dry), it does not do any real harm.  I do not put 'product' in DD's hair over the weekend or over the school holidays unless going out or coming into contact with other children, so DD does get a break from having 'product' in her hair.

Just look at MooMoosMummy who uses Eco.kids leave in conditioner and styling cement. It is a 'product'.

Plaited hair and some other hair styles (for girls of course) also prevent nits from staying on the hair because they are only able to climb up hair that is straight.

Ultimately prevention is better than cure, and I can assure you that applying 'product' to your child's hair might just be a lot less expensive in the long term than all the head lice/nit products with very harmful toxic chemicals in them.

The only other thing I can suggest, is to try my idea and if it doesn't work for you and your child then go back to ridding your child of the head lice/nits using the products only available at chemists or other natural remedies.

#22 brazen

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

we've been using Hit Nitz 4 6 "once off" lice lotion and let me tell you  it's anything but once off. in fact it's pretty useless sad.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.