Need some support!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 zogee

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hi everyone
My baby boy is nearly 7 weeks and I'm losing my mind! He's waking 2 hourly at the moment, has been very unhappy for much of the day the last 2 days and is having explosive green mucusy poos despite me only feeding one side for 3 hours then the other side for the next 3. He's a big boy (97th percentile) and in the afternoons and evening he cluster feeds like mad till I feel completely empty. he is so fussy on the breast too he scratches at me and grizzles, pulling on and off. I am doubting what I am doing here, I didn't breastfeed my first baby beyond 3 weeks due to repeated mastitis and I grieved over that for many months. I am so proud of getting this far despite going through mastitis etc again.... but have a nagging doubt that he would be satisfied and we'd all be happier and more rested if he had some formula.
Because I was so focussed on establishing bf I think I was also a bit unrealistic about how dependent on me he would be, no one feels confident enough to settle him for much of the time so I feel very trapped, I haven't had more than an hour or so away from him. I have expressed and given DH/Grandma bottles when I have had to leave him (school appt for dd 3.5 for example) but it's hard to get a stockpile of EBM when he is so hungry!!
Any thoughts or advice?

#2 jaylo

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hi,

I can empathise with you. I had an 11 pound boy in the 98th percentile and the best thing I did was stop breastfeeding. A good amount of time, he would not open his mouth far enough to latch properly. I did comp feed for about 3 weeks but eventually went to full time bottle feeding.

I felt awful for not being able to continue breast feeding but I told myself that my body was not keeping up with his demands and that I had to put his needs first, I stand by my decision.

I hope that helps, good luck

#3 Kay1

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

I wouldn't necessarily put his fussiness down to hunger, babies can be fussy at that age for all sorts of reasons and feeding is a comfort to them. Even if it is hunger all this feeding could be to increase your supply. If so it should improve in the next few days. Perhaps a visit to your MCHN or a lactation consultant (if you are in Sydney you can access them through Tresillian).

Good luck, it is so tough when you are sleep deprived and feeling suffocated but if you really want to keep breastfeeding I am sure you can.

#4 zogee

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thanks jaylo original.gif He has gained weight well at his 6 weeks check up he gained 1.1kg, it's just I know what my daughter was like on formula, she was perfectly healthy and she was more settled and slept a lot better than my son does. I'm just thinking out loud I guess, and venting a bit!

#5 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

If his poo isn't right, he may be a bit unwell, and that would also explain the unsettled behaviour and the wanting to feed. He may also be going through a growth spurt, that is a prime time for cluster feeding and unsettledness, and it will improve as your supply catches up to his demands. You didn't say how long this has been going on, if it is less than 3 days try to ride it out and see if it all works out.

It may not be the bottle/breast that is the deciding factor for how well your kids sleep either. Both mine were breast fed and DD1 was and still is much easier to settle than DD2, and slept through earlier. They're just different people.

#6 lucky 2

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi zogee, I'd encourage you to see a LC for support and advice, why not?, they are the health professional to see for bfing issues.
You are in the thick of the peak of unsettledness in babies, it peaks at 6-8 weeks, so its really bad at the moment and its not unusual.
Green mucusy poo, crying all the time. Perhaps talk with the CHN too.
Do you have an oversupply? Is that why you are block feeding?
Maybe your baby would be less stressed if you tried switch feeding when he gets fussy, ie he gets on the breast but if he starts to carry on then switch sides and so forth. My bub did this and I would often feed up to 8 sides a feed, but still with good milk removal. I didn't have an oversupply though and I hadn't had mastitis either so I don't know how this would go for you both.
That's why I think getting a LC to watch a feed and take a full feeding history and physical assessment would be ideal.
You have a history of mastitis, you have had early weaning with your previous child, your baby is pretty miserable and has interesting stools and you are feeling that formula feeding might be the answer.
If you see a LC you will have an expert in bfing matters give you a clearer impression of what might be leading to this misery, stools, fussing on the breast. These things may sort out in time or their may be ways to help now rather than changing from the biologically appropriate milk to a non human milk substitute.
If you need help with finding a LC let us know.
All the best.

#7 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

If your milk supply is established well,, it might be time to start nudging him into a 3 or 4 hourly feeding routine.  Nothing drastic, just distract as long as you can.    I found my big boy was more satisfied with big feeds further apart and a bit of a routine helps with the "trapped" feeling.

#8 muminbusiness

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Could there be a reaction to something you have eaten?

#9 jersey3681

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (muminbusiness @ 15/04/2012, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could there be a reaction to something you have eaten?

This. He can have an allergy or intolerance to something you are eating. A "not ok" poo when breastfed exclusively points to allergy.

#10 scooty

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

I could have written your post OP. My DS2 is now 8 weeks and is feeding every 1 1/2 to 2 hours during the very middle of the night. I think this is just what his routine is atm, as during the day he can go 3-4 hours, so he's a bit back to front.

This week I have eaten a heap of chocolate over easter and have found him to be quite unsettled (funny poos etc). He is also a big boy, also in the 97th percentile, so I can see why he is eating all the time. He has put on more than 2.2 kilos since birth and has moved into some 00 clothes already!

I understand the feeling of having no free time to yourself, but this will change soon enough. I would definetly see a LC if you are still feeing overwhelmed in a week or so, if he hasnt settled down.

Breastfeeding is tough sometimes, hopefully you'll get to a point where it is easier for you.

#11 Jenferal

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Chocolate can make a baby quite unsettled. I was told that by the midwife in the hospital and must admit I scoffed a bit, but it certainly seemed to affect my daughter as a newborn(who was born the week after Easter lol). She also couldn't tolerate me eating Thai(but Vietnamese was a bit better) or too much cabbage.

#12 zogee

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can access a LC if I get a referral from the CHN so I'll look into that on Monday.
Scooty it's nice to know I'm not alone  original.gif
I haven't been eating heaps of chocolate, but have had a bit, but I have doen so since he was born with no issues  happy.gif . I will give it a rest totally though and see how he goes. I have already been avoiding cabbage, broccoli, peas and corn and citrus as I was told they can increase wind/colic.

lucky2 I am block feeding mainly to avoid lactose overload, ie: bub getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. He's had the green mucusy poos (a symptom of lactose overload) once before but not for a few days in a row like he has now.

Thanks again for reading.

#13 Feralishous

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

we had major unsettledness at that age too, i put it down to a growth spurt.
hope you get some rest soon!

#14 kittycat01

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

I had this with DS at same age and he was very colicky too but it settled eventually by 10wks. He was lactose intolerant as it turns out but I only discovered it when he went onto cows milk at age 1. Had the funny poos on and off on formula after I weaned at 16wks(returned to work FT) but never put two and two together to realize it was milk causing it.

Talk to a LC who can help you with elimination diet if it continues. At very least, get his poo checked at GP. There are a few nasties that can cause these yucky ones.

Kitty

#15 Jenferal

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Oh, did he have his rotovirus jabs recently?? That can cause green poos! And they can go on for a few weeks. My daughter had green frothy poos after her shots.

#16 Guest_NinjahAlpaca_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

OP, I had similar issues with my 3rd, nearly word for word like your post!

I went to a few LCs until I found one that noticed that DD had a bit of a short palate, so when she latched on she wasn't fully compressing the glands, so was only getting the fore-milk and not the hindmilk, which has all the fatty goodness.

She said DD would grow out of it very quickly, and she did, and in the meantime I did some expressing to try and make sure the boob was fully emptied and topped her up with the expressed stuff in a bottle.

She outgrew it by about 9 weeks or so and all went fabulously after that, so do speak to the LC about the latch on and make sure it's all good.

Best of luck to you!

#17 zogee

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Thanks ladies original.gif we had a better night & having a great day (3.5 hr nap woohoo!) and his poo seems back to normal. It's happened before though so I'm still going to try & see an LC. Cheers original.gif

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

My DD was 11 pounds and did not need formula to be satisfied at all. She was quite unsettled though - she had latch issues. I would see what the LC says. Good luck.

#19 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (zogee @ 15/04/2012, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lucky2 I am block feeding mainly to avoid lactose overload, ie: bub getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. He's had the green mucusy poos (a symptom of lactose overload) once before but not for a few days in a row like he has now.

Unless you definitely have an oversupply, I wouldn't bother with the block feeding.   If you follow your baby's lead then you don't need to worry about foremilk and hindmilk.  Just let him feed for as long as he wants and wait until he finishes the first breast before offering the other one.

From the ABA website (link here)

Truth: You don’t need to worry about ‘foremilk’ and ‘hindmilk’ (If you have never heard of these, then don’t bother reading this one!)

True foremilk-hindmilk imbalance usually only occurs when there is too much milk or where feeds are timed. Many parents are told by other people to worry about their baby getting the fatty ‘hindmilk’, but all breastmilk has some fat in it. Fat content of breastmilk naturally varies throughout a feed and throughout a day. Early in a feed, a baby gets breastmilk that is lower in fat. Towards the end of the feed, he receives breastmilk that is higher in fat. Simply put, the emptier your breast is, the higher the fat content and vice versa. In the early part of the day, if you have very full breasts, fat content will be lower. Later in the day, as your breasts soften, the fat content will be higher. If you follow your baby’s lead and breastfeed your baby whenever he is looking for the breast, your baby will get what he needs.

Also, big babies are just as likely to be satisfied by breastmilk alone than other babies!

Edited by bottle~rocket, 16 April 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#20 Tesseract

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Great to hear you are going to see an LC, it really is the best option.

As PPs have said it could be a lot of things some of which he might grow out of, others that might need addressing.

For most people the first 12 weeks are the hardest, then things generally get better. I set myself the goal of 12 weeks, and decided that if I hadn't sorted things out by then (I saw an LC quite a bit), I would reconsider the whole thing. At 11 weeks I was ready to give up. Then one day, at about 12 weeks, I realised things were good! I realised it would be harder work to formula feed than what I was doing. We are still going strong at 13 months.

Breastfeeding issues can be fixed, by an LC and by time. Hang in there.

Thinking of you. Tess xx

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.