not crawling nor attempting by 12 months
Crawling

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 kalikai

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi all I am a newbie to this site but am a worried mum My 2nd child was born at 34 weeks. He is 11 months (9.5mths corrected) and has only just learnt how to sit. He is still shaky and needs to be supported with cushions. He is showing no signs of crawling nor trying to even get to knees. He does not attempt to pull himself up and can only shuffle slightly backwards in the walker which he has been using for 2 months. He is a huge, heavy strong bubby. Am starting to get concerned. We had lots of flags during the pregnancy which in the end came out clear e.g. 1 in 2 for down syndrome, extra large head...neurological defects......so I have these niggling at the back of my head. My first child was competently walking by 12 months. Am I worrying over nothing? thanks

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

I think age for walking varies enormously, but it sounds like you have a range of concerns, I think a visit to the GP and a referral to a paed would be a good idea.

#3 lozoodle

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Make an appointment to see your MCHN just to discuss your concerns - it will help put your mind at ease, and if they think there is an issue they can refer you to someone original.gif

But seeing as the adjusted age is only 9.5 months, I probably wouldn't worry too much. I'm not sure how the adjusted age thing works, but my first wasn't even rolling until 9 months, didn't crawl til 11 months. And she was born at 40+3, so no adjusted age issues.

Make an appointment just to be sure.

#4 jantastic

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I agree with the PP. It could be completely normal and a little on the slower end of normal, but a visit to a paed and a paediatric physiotherapist is never a waste. Best scenario, they ease your mind of the constant stress and worry. Worst case, you start early intervention earlier (and the earlier is always the better).

Best of luck original.gif

#5 akkiandmalli

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

my DD was walking at 12 months but DS was a big baby and didnt even roll at all!! he walked at 15months without even crawling...
sounds normal esp if he is on the bigger side

#6 deejie

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

At 9.5months corrected, I wouldn't be worried about crawling.
My own DS1 (no age correction issues) was also a big chubster. He didn't roll consistently tummy to back until 8m, back to tummy until 9m, crawled finally at 13.5months and then decided to get up and walk a few days later.

As always if you are concerned, seek help from a professional. Do you have a good MCHN you can talk to and ask for the details of a paed physio or ask your GP for a referral to paed?

#7 Done

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

mine will be one at the end of May. only just starting to look like crawling now, with only one movement forward then stopping lol. really not keen on the idea at all this baby.

has been sitting ok for a few months though.

will not bear weight, hates putting feet down and any attempt to try to do it the feet are straight back up and not touching the ground.

has not enjoyed tummy time ever and not been a roller either.

but i'm confiedent baby will move in its own time, so no I wouldn't be too worried.

but if you are worried, go to the clinic, they will refer you to a pead physio and you will know for sure where your little one is at. you can either ring the clinic for an appointment or go to a drop in day, which will probably be quicker to see the nurse.

Good luck!!

#8 purple_daisy

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I agree with PP that a quick chat to your Child health nurse could put you at ease. DD only started sitting at 10 months and crawling at 11 months. She was born a little early (not too much) and our paediatric nurse told me that even two weeks prem can cause some babies to be up to a month behind their peers developmentally.
So being 6 weeks early I imagine your little one is just taking some time to come into their own original.gif
I understand your nerves, as we also had some issues and were worried about brain abnormalities and potential for slowed development but once DD finally started crawling (many months after every other child in mother's group I might add!) she picked it up in no time and now zips around the house.
HTH.

#9 kalikai

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

AWWW thanks so much all. I had one of those horrible niggly feelings today that just wouldn't go away. Your posts have made me feel a lot better. Will give it a couple more months and see how the little chubby progresses.

#10 wannabe30

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Done @ 14/04/2012, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but if you are worried, go to the clinic, they will refer you to a pead physio and you will know for sure where your little one is at.

I agree with this. I did the same for DS and the physio gave me exercises to encourage DS to crawl by strengthening the relevant muscles, but more importantly gave me the reassurance that everything was normal.

I'd also ditch the walker. Aside from being dangerous, they can delay crawling and walking. By supporting baby's weight they may delay muscle strengthening, and by giving bubs mobility they remove any incentive to crawl.

Good luck!

Edited by wannabe30, 14 April 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#11 sarkazm76

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Does he bear weight on his legs if you stand him up supported?  That might be a better indication of where he is at but certainly try not to worry as he will do everything in his own time most likely.
Only other thing I would say is that I did read that walkers can actually delay them gettign around on their own... sorry I can't rememebr why exactly but it was something about how if everytime they are on their legs they expect support from an outside source it's less encouragement to get up on their own and use their own legs 100%.
Go see your GP for peace of mind though as the stress will not be good for any of you original.gif  Big hugs.

#12 mummy.to.one

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Hi, I would see your gp or chn if you have worries.

With his corrected age at 9.5months I ouldnt worry about crawling, but I also have no experience or knowledge of adjusted ages and milestones.

Is he is starting to sit unsupported that is a good sign. I would still see your gp just to be on the safe side.

#13 Guest_pessi_*

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'd go with that niggly feeling, not against it.

If there is a problem, it won't go away - and if there isn't, as is likely, there's no harm done by getting a GP referral to a paediatrician. It could be a couple of months or more before you get in, anyway, especially if you go public, so I'd get the ball rolling now. If all turns out fine in that time, you just cancel the appointment.

#14 allyire

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

My DS2 was also a big bubba, and he didn't roll or try to pull himself up into a standing position or crawl at all! He started walking around holding a finger around 12 months and about a month later walking unassisted.

He took longer to learn how to climb etc. so I found taking him to Gymbaroo for 6 months after he was walking really helped him along.

By all means as PP have said book in for a visit or get a referral if you're worried though.

#15 bailee

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about the crawling, but 9 months is the upper end of 'normal' for sitting and you have said that he has started sitting at 9.5 months and is still shaky. I would be having him assessed (by paed physio) to check if there is an underlying problem. My son was also prem, 26 weeks, and he was not sitting at 9 months corrected, though was within the next 2 weeks. He was assessed by a paediatrician (that we were already seeing) and a paediatric physiotherapist and was diagnosed with a disability.

Not that I want to scare you or suggest that there is something wrong, but rather than waiting a few more months, have it looked at now. If there is nothing to worry about your mind will be put at rest now, not later. If there is something that needs to be addressed then you will be on to it earlier rather than later and that can be valuable time spent on therapies or waiting lists that you wont lose.

#16 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (jantastic @ 14/04/2012, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best scenario, they ease your mind of the constant stress and worry. Worst case, you start early intervention earlier (and the earlier is always the better).

yyes.gif

#17 kalikai

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Thanks again all for taking the time...it is really appreciated. Bailee don't worry you are not scaring me with your post .....even though my eldest son was walking at 12 months he is on the autism spectrum......so I guess that is where my niggly feeling stems from as I know Autism runs in families. I will monitor bubby Hudson's progress over the next month or two. I have a paediatrician appt for my other son in a month's time so will quiz him about bub's delays and cause for concern. Hopefully my niggly feelings are just a big ball of wind!!!

#18 sjl

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hi OP

I agree with the above.  

My son although not premmie,  he did take sick at 10 wks then had to wear a helmet for 4 months and is a chubba bubba is now 13months and is still commando crawling.  I took him to the MCHN and they referred me to the paed physio and i've since taken him to our private paed.  He has low muscle tone and the exercises given are helping him considerably.  Please don't wait another 2 months as early intervention/monitoring is better if something is picked up.

#19 kalikai

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Does he bear weight on his legs if you stand him up supported? That might be a better indication of where he is at but certainly try not to worry as he will do everything in his own time most likely

Hi Sarkazm76 he has just started to support some weight but I have to hold him under his arms constantly to stop him flopping down. Day to day he is getting stronger and more confident but if I try to walk him forward he just drags his legs...... Again hopefully day to day he will get stronger and more confident

#20 FeralDancesHere

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

My DS was born at the 34 weeks as well and didn't crawl until he was 14 months, he was starting to drag himself around at 12 months.

He took his first steps at 18 months and is now a "normal" 2.5 year old.

#21 Missmarymack

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (bailee @ 14/04/2012, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't be concerned about the crawling, but 9 months is the upper end of 'normal' for sitting and you have said that he has started sitting at 9.5 months and is still shaky. I would be having him assessed (by paed physio) to check if there is an underlying problem. My son was also prem, 26 weeks, and he was not sitting at 9 months corrected, though was within the next 2 weeks. He was assessed by a paediatrician (that we were already seeing) and a paediatric physiotherapist and was diagnosed with a disability.

This idea of 9 months being late to sit can depend on who you speak to. Our MCHN and GP recommend that babies are never put into a sitting position until they are able to safely move in and out of that position independently. The idea is that sitting while propped up on pillows etc can be dangerous for a babies hips and also cause their muscles to develop out of proportion, thereby making movement (crawling) harder in the long run. Their suggestion was that the milestone of sitting should come after crawling.

#22 Tree Sage

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

give him lots of tummy time and put toys just out of his reach so he has to reach for them and attempt to move forward. You can be there with him and help him if he gets frustrated, because when he does move he is probably going to go backwards first!

Dont worry about trying to sit him up, tummy time will strengthen his back and muscles as well.
Dont worry about walking him around yet either. Let him get used to his tummy and trying to crawl and when he has mastered that then walk him around. Crawling is an important step in child development, it supports so many other developmental areas both physical and cognitive.

Edited by beansidhe, 14 April 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#23 2bellaboos

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

DD1 just never quite "got"crawling or pulling herself up. We got her walking at 12 months becuase my dad used to walk her around a lot but it meant that she didn't know how to fall - so it was always pretty catastrophic when she did!

Then one day at 18months, she just did it. The look on her face was amazing! She pulled herself up not long after that so from that point on, if she did fall, it was a lot gentler.

#24 ~DrSeussRules~

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

He needs to build his core strength.
Get rid of the walker.
Don't prop him up, keep putting him on his tummy to force him to move himself in the inner core area.
Try to make him work harder to force him to move himself more.
It sounds a bit cruel, but will be best in the long run.
oh just realised that beanside had already said all this.

#25 bailee

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (Missmarymack @ 14/04/2012, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This idea of 9 months being late to sit can depend on who you speak to. Our MCHN and GP recommend that babies are never put into a sitting position until they are able to safely move in and out of that position independently. The idea is that sitting while propped up on pillows etc can be dangerous for a babies hips and also cause their muscles to develop out of proportion, thereby making movement (crawling) harder in the long run. Their suggestion was that the milestone of sitting should come after crawling.

Well that notion might work well for a child of 'normal' development but if I had waited for my son to start crawling before he was strong enough to sit, well he'd probably not be walking now at the age of 6 as he would not have had the therapies that have helped build up to the level of ability he has today. If I'd waited to for him to start crawling we would have lost at least another 12-18 months of early intervention therapies, maybe more, as he would not have crawled when he did without them.  The key to assisting children with disabilities (cerebral palsy in my son's case) is to start early intervention therapies or long term outcomes are significantly less but if we just patiently waited for him to do these things in his own time we just would have waited and waited because he was not able to without us helping him to build his skills. I'm glad he was diagnosed when he was as he has a reasonable good outcome.

I've never actually propped my kids up with pillows to learn to sit, I know that people do, but i'm too lazy. My daughter was 5 months when she started sitting unaided and she probably built up those skills/strength because I carried her around and had her sitting on my lap all the time cause she screamed constantly due to her reflux. She didnt crawl till 10 months though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind", as one writer has claimed?

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.