Bassinet or capsule for BJCS?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 duckduckduck

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi, I really need some help making a decision on whether to get the BJCS bassinet or the Maxi Cosi capsule for our second bub.

I like the different functionalities of both - the bassinet for comfortable sleeping when out and about/visiting, and the capsule for easy transfer from pram to car without disturbing baby.

My friend swears by the bassinet but she walks everywhere and rarely uses the car. We only walk occasionally whereas I am often out and about with DD in the car, which is why I'm leaning ever so slightly towards the capsule... however, I'm worried the capsule won't be as comfortable for a baby to sleep in for extended periods (say, more than an hour at a time).

For those that have used one of these or both, please tell me why you preferred the bassinet/capsule, list pros and cons, and help me choose!

I should mention that I have weighed up the option of getting both (as I believe you can easily swap between the bassinet/capsule), but obviously this would cost a bit and we may end up using one a lot more than the other and will have wasted our money...

Advice, please! original.gif

#2 lozoodle

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

I don't have that pram but opted for the capsule for my strider plus. Getting the newborn in and out of the car was SO MUCH EASIER! I wish I had a capsule with my first. It made life much easier.

We were out and about all the time with DD1 when I first had DD2. It just made life easy. I could just click her in the pram and off we'd go, and she would just sleep wherever as a result.

I think pram bassinettes are a waste, just use the normal seat reclined or the capsule!

Edited by lozoodle, 14 April 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#3 duckduckduck

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (lozoodle @ 14/04/2012, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think pram bassinettes are a waste, just use the normal seat reclined or the capsule!

Unfortunately you can't use the standard BJCS seat for a newborn due to the design. It does make it a bit of an expensive endeavour, having to get the bassinet or capsule, but the pram is awesome in every other aspect original.gif

#4 lozoodle

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Oh that's annoying, I didn't realise that. But either way, I'd get the capsule. You need a car seat anyway lol

Plus some babies hate laying flat in a basinette, whereas the capsule provides that slight angle.

Edited to add - just had a look at them online. Why can't you just recline the normal seat? It doesn't look that different in design to the strider plus seats, I never had an issue with a newborn in that? unsure.gif

Edited by lozoodle, 14 April 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#5 Ruby'sMum

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

I'm starting with the capsule when DS arrives in 7 weeks.  I'd thought about buying the bassinet too but seeing as DD was out of the bassinet by six weeks, really don't think it's worth the $.  If #2 turns out to be significantly smaller than #1, I can always buy the bassinet once he's arrived.

#6 duckduckduck

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

It's the way the straps are positioned - basically impossible for a newborn to be strapped in while lying comfortably (the seat can't flatten completely as it has a rigid bottom 'shelf' design).

I know some people just make do with the seat and don't bother with the straps, and use pram liners and whatnot to make it more suitable for a newborn, but I still think it would be uncomfortable for a little one.

#7 lozoodle

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yep that's fair enough, you'll probably find its fine though - the strider plus seat is very similar and a newborn strapped in that and reclined was no drama.

But my vote is for the capsule - it will make your life SO easy to get out and about with your older child original.gif

#8 ali-song

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I had both (with a different pram), and really liked having the option of using either one. However, if I had to choose, I'd choose the capsule. While the basinette was terrific when DD was a newborn, DD wasn't much interested in lying flat beyond about three months. We're still using the capsule at seven months.

#9 Futureself

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

The BJCS is on our short-list of prams. If we go with it, we will be getting both the Bassinet kit to convert the seat to the Bassinet as well as getting a capsule. It's not just that the flat Bassinet will be more comfortable for extended sleeps; it's safer. It's recommend that small babies not be scrunched in capsules for long periods as it could comprise their airway so we see the Bassinet as being a portable bed for when we're out, visiting, that is the safer option. BUT we also want the portability of being able to scoot the capsule from the car onto the pram for short visits into shops, Drs etc.

As an aside, the 2012 CREP results were leaked online before their official publication in October and I wasn't happy with the one star rating of the Maxi Cosi so will be going for a Peg Perego or Chicco Capsule instead.

#10 Tarantara

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

I only have a bassinet, not a capsule, but it is worth every cent so far. My bub gets wheeled around the house in his pram a lot of the day and we cart it upstairs for him to sleep in at night since a few pushes calm him almost every time.

Just my experience but I LOVE having the bassinet for my pram.

#11 Duechristmasday

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Its hard trying to buy these anywhere at the moment as they are out of stock... some problem from getting them overseas and not available for ages....

Anyway, I tried to get the car seat attachment for my BJCS but could not get one anywhere due to them being out of stock so I ended up reluctantly getting the bassinet.  

I have had pretty much every pram, and also have the utility baby capsule car seat.  I used that for my DS attached to the steelcraft pram last time and it was great.  Now that I had baby #5 arrive I needed a double pram so got the BJCS so that I could use the utility capsule with it .... stupidly didnt get the attachment at the same time so missed out.

Anyway, I like the bassinet because she is comfy and i think it is better for their necks and backs, but find that taking her in and out of the car seat is a bit annoying, I would much prefer to just take the capsule out and pop her on the pram.  

Personally I would go for the attach,ent and use your car seat.... let the little poppet sleep it will make your life much easier in the long run.

Oh and dont get the unity capsule - Its crap!

Oh and I agree with this PP.....

The BJCS is on our short-list of prams. If we go with it, we will be getting both the Bassinet kit to convert the seat to the Bassinet as well as getting a capsule. It's not just that the flat Bassinet will be more comfortable for extended sleeps; it's safer. It's recommend that small babies not be scrunched in capsules for long periods as it could comprise their airway so we see the Bassinet as being a portable bed for when we're out, visiting, that is the safer option. BUT we also want the portability of being able to scoot the capsule from the car onto the pram for short visits into shops, Drs etc.

#12 duckduckduck

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (futureself @ 14/04/2012, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As an aside, the 2012 CREP results were leaked online before their official publication in October and I wasn't happy with the one star rating of the Maxi Cosi so will be going for a Peg Perego or Chicco Capsule instead.

Ahh... so how does the bassinet work exactly? At the moment we have the 2011 model with just the single seat. Do you have to buy the second seat, then the bassinet kit as well as a second seat adaptor?

RE: the Maxi Cosi Mico getting a 1-star rating - was the leak from a reliable source? I just posted in the car restraints section asking for safety info on this capsule but haven't had any responses yet... From what I read ages ago, the Mico was one of the highest safety rated capsules in Europe, so I assumed it would get a high rating here too. Bugger sad.gif

The reason I wanted the Mico was because I read it was the easiest capsule to click in/out of the BJCS adaptor, and that the Peg Perego and Chicco ones were a lot fiddlier. Can anyone comment on this? Obviously I'd rather safety over convenience, but if they Peg and Chicco are really annoying to attach I might just go for the bassinet.

#13 lclb

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

I hired a maxi cosi mico for 6 months to use with my BJCS, it was easy to switch on/off the pram and it was invaluable for managing getting to/from the car with a 20 mo old toddler.

I bought a basinet as we do a lot more walking than going out in the car during the week.

My DD was average sized when born but quickly moved up to the 100th % for weight and height. We got 5 mo use out of both the capsule and basinet.

I have no regrets about having both

#14 Futureself

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (duckduckduck @ 14/04/2012, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahh... so how does the bassinet work exactly? At the moment we have the 2011 model with just the single seat. Do you have to buy the second seat, then the bassinet kit as well as a second seat adaptor?

RE: the Maxi Cosi Mico getting a 1-star rating - was the leak from a reliable source? I just posted in the car restraints section asking for safety info on this capsule but haven't had any responses yet... From what I read ages ago, the Mico was one of the highest safety rated capsules in Europe, so I assumed it would get a high rating here too. Bugger sad.gif

The reason I wanted the Mico was because I read it was the easiest capsule to click in/out of the BJCS adaptor, and that the Peg Perego and Chicco ones were a lot fiddlier. Can anyone comment on this? Obviously I'd rather safety over convenience, but if they Peg and Chicco are really annoying to attach I might just go for the bassinet.

I'm still figuring out how the Bassinet actually works - summoning up the energy to wade through the BJCS threads on here - but my understanding is that the kit you buy uses the frame of the single seat to make a flat bassinet. You use the sun canopy from the seat on the Bassinet as well so it's suggested you buy the same colour Bassinet kit as you already have the sea int! You don't need the second seat or adaptors, just the Kit and original seat.

Yes, news of the leak was from a thread on another forum, some posters there saw the website and the one star rating but the link they give in the thread was disabled soon after by CREP. I have no doubt that it's true. I was annoyed as well as the Maxi Cosi adaptors clip into the pram and then the capsule clips straight on to them whereas the Chicco and Peg Perego adaptor clips on but then you have to use a strap to clip the capsule in. It's apparently not that annoying and I agree with you - safety first.

#15 spottydog

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

In your OP you said your friend had the bassinet, can you just borrow that? Not sure if thats a option.

Id go with the capsule, because you can still use that in the car/pram until they gro out of it weight wise at 9-12months or so, but a bassinet only as a shorter life span imo or 4-6months.

spotty.

#16 FurryTongue

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

I just had the bassinet for my BJCS and borrowed a friends capsule. I never took the capsule out of the car and I am very glad I never bothered to buy one. I did not have a bassinet for my first child and didn't think I would get much use out of this one. However I LOVED it and if I have another baby I would definitely make sure I had a bassinet for my pram and not bother with a capsule.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.