Do you ever feel like no one really knows you?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

As above.

I have friends, and you talk about the usual stuff, and it's all good. Sometimes i blab bits and pieces on here, to get it off my chest, but that's the usual annoyances that everyone has. I have one friend that I talk about things more than any other, but some things i just never talk about with anyone, even if I still think about those things from time to time now. Not even my partner do I tell everything to. Sometimes I think, it would do me good to talk to get over things, but in the past when i have been close to talking about things, the defenses automatically go up and I push the people away.

So I feel like no one really knows me.

Does that make sense   biggrin.gif bit abstract for this time of night.

#2 MrsNorthman

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

It made sense original.gif  Do you want someone to really know you? Der, I know...but would you consider some counseling to help you make that first step. Is it about trust for you?  Or do you think you would feel too vulnerable if someone really knew you?

#3 yodie86

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

I understand what you are saying.

Until not too long ago I felt like that and to a point still do. I have a saying 'that you only show parts of yourself to certain people' and only you know the whole you.

My DH knows the most ( about 95% ) of me but there is that 5% ( that I label myself 'the crazy) that no one but me will ever really know about.

What ever happens I hope you feel at peace with yourself
bbighug.gif

#4 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

I get where your coming from, i'm the same. There about 2 or 3 people who know 90% about me. But there is still that 'wall' that i keep up Its my own doing though, my trust issues run deep.

Sorry i got no helpful advice but your not alone in how you feel

#5 caesie'n'linc

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

That makes sense to me original.gif  I often feel exactly the same.  I have my sisters, but I can't tell them everything, I also have a fantastic SIL who I have known for many years now and I trust completly but I still can't bring myself to tell her some things either.

I have sort of worked out why I don't let myself get close enough to people to share everything...but it has become a bit of a bad cycle for me sad.gif  something bothers me, I start wishing I had close friends to talk to about it, then I realise WHY I have no close friends (there's actually 2 reasons and they both get me down for different reasons), then I get all upset about those and then I go back to wishing I had someone to talk to....and around it goes until I find myself either typing random stuff to post here (and then not posting it) or I end up in the shower crying when it's something really bothering me.

I really have no suggestions that might help you, I'm sorry.  But you are more than welcome to pm me if you ever need to talk to someone original.gif  I actually find it easier to 'talk' to strangers at the moment rather than talk face to face to people, even though I know they all care about me and would happily listen and support me...

#6 Expelliarmus

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Yep. I know what you mean.

#7 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

I don't know! Do i really want people to know me? Do i even know myself? Good questions. Thanks for the replies.

Edited by holy_j, 13 April 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#8 luckycakes

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

If you ever want to tell me more than you do, (I know I am a crazy wench and talk a lot, but my ears and mind are open and my mouth would stay shut about business not of my own), then you know where I am at. I would love to know you as much as you are prepared for me to know you xo

Edited by luckycakes, 13 April 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#9 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

I felt that way until I met DF.

I mean my Mum does, but she doesn't count hehehe

#10 Riverchick20

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

I know what you mean. Often I feel the same way only one friend knows about 90% of me . Takes me a long time to open up to other people. Wish it was easier sad.gif

Edited by Riverchick20, 13 April 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#11 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

hehehe C, you know I love you. And thankyou. And you aren't that crazy  original.gif

#12 BadCat

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm not big on opening up to people either.  But I have made peace with that.

I guess either you accept that that's how you are or you seek help to change it.  In my case I found acceptance easier.

#13 caesie'n'linc

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (PussyDids @ 14/04/2012, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean my Mum does, but she doesn't count hehehe

I reckon my mum knows me the least these days LOL  I don't really tell people much at all....someone build me a time machine so I can go back and fix the things that caused my 'issue' LOL

#14 wca

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

I have a great bunch of friends and close family but NONE of them really, truely, know me. DH knows the most, he knows all my issues etc but I feel like he doesn't even know the core of me. My friends probably have no idea how "deep" I can be. I never talk to them about it. I come across as a level headed, "got it together", happy chick. When in fact, it's normally the opposite. I'm just a great actress.

Anni xx

#15 Guest_Retro_Mumma_*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Only DH really knows me warts and all.

#16 Guest_HopeFaithLove_*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

I get what you are saying.  I have a very close friend that I have known since highschool, we can talk about anything and everything yet there is still a small % that I keep to myself and I suspect that she is the same.  Same goes for DH.

I think as long as you know who you are yourself and you are happy with that, then that is all that matters  original.gif

#17 LittleRB

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

Yes but upon further reflection, it's my own fault. I have serious trust issues stemming from I'm not exactly sure where, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone knowing exactly who I was. Might explain why I don't have any really close friends, especially females.

My sister probably knows me the best as in who I am, about my relationship with DH, my hopes and dreams but there is still quite a bit she doesn't know.

DH knows all my crazy e.t.c. but I still wouldn't say he knows me 100%. Probably on par with my sister but knows different things about me (so no one actually has a full picture).

I think a few people have come close and I've cut them off for some reason or the other.

Oh well. It doesn't bother me.

Edited by LittleRB, 14 April 2012 - 12:14 AM.

#18 CleverChook

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Does it matter?  I'm not much of a sharer.  
I have a lot of friends, but I'm not really one to get really close, or live in each others pockets.  The older I get, the less I need that kind of validation of my feelings, or whatever it is you get for sharing every little thought and feeling.

#19 blackcat20

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

I get where youre coming from. I have two friends that I share a fair bit with, but no one that knows everything about me. Even my mum (who I tell pretty much everything to) doesnt know everything. At the moment there are things Id love to talk about with someone, but there isnt anyone!

#20 gemmaw

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Sometimes I feel like this too so I get where you are coming from. My DH and Mum know most things but of course there are some things I would just rather keep to myself. I don't think it's necessary to share everything, as long as you have a handle on what it is you aren't sharing.

Edited by gemmaw, 14 April 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#21 baby*girl

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yep !

#22 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

I think it does matter, if it's something that would do you good to talk about it, but you don't let yourself. Maybe it's some conscious, or sub conscious fear of being judged or feeling not good enough.

#23 bright*future

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Yep I know what you mean.

We have been hiding going through IVF and it has been really hard for me because previously I was so open and deliberately "authentic".  It took me months maybe even a year or so to accept that I could have relationships without having to bear everything.  But, I came to that point through counselling.

I heard something on the radio the other day about "emotional safety" and that being the reason why some people find it hard to really connect, kinda similar to what you are just saying holy_j.

#24 Gossipgirl

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

My husband knows everything about me everything nothing is hidden from him and my best friend also knows everything we talk about everything and anything.

I do have a close friend that I talk to but she does not know me fully I hide alot from her I don't know why

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.