No Sleep, Seriously, None All Day *update post 72*
aka: the day the remnants of my sanity flew the coop

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Feral_Pooks

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

He hasn't slept since 6 am. That was after waking from a 2 hour sleep.

Oh, he has dozed a bit, for 5, 10, 15 mins here and there. The car ride, the brief nap in my arms (not completely 'out of it' but eyes closed), but then I put him down and he's all bug eyed and complaining.

He isn't screaming all the time. Just sometimes.

Just always- Awake. Grizzling. Moaning, almost. Too tired to cry?

Tried wrapping, rocking, driving, pram, walking around the house, singing, rocking bassinet, ignoring him and walking away, patting, dummy, offering more to feed, burping, you name it. He falls asleep in my arms for maybe 5 minutes then his head starts bobbing around and he's complaining again.

I don't feel right about leaving him awake and grizzling in his bassinet but I can't eat, drink, etc. otherwise and I'm completely over it. Completely. I've been begging him to sleep.

He hasn't been vomiting or doing anything to indicate he's in pain as such, well, nothing obvious.

Tell me what I'm meant to do because I'm losing it and he is completely miserable.

Edited by pookems85, 17 April 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#2 2bundles

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I loved the electric swing for my youngest.  

Good luck.  My eldest whinged all day as a bub.  It seriously did my head in, but it does get better.  We did a day stay at the MCHC which helped a bit.

All I can suggest is a few days at home with a strict routine.

#3 nen-c

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

He will fall asleep eventually - please remember that - they never stay awake for ever even if it feels like it.
Can your DP or someone else give you a hand, put him in a carrier and walk around for a while or something? If it is just you, perhaps make sure you are fed and watered and coping, then get yourself comfy somewhere dark, and see if holding him and rocking in a chair or similar will help.

Good luck - I hope the exhaustion overtakes him soon.

#4 Balto1

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

I feel for you. DS had a few no-sleep days in his first months (luckily he never strung more than two in a row) and they nearly did my head in.  In the end, I would just lie him on the bed beside me for a few hours so I could have one hand on him and one hand on a coffee on the bedside table. Beats getting up constantly to a grizzly bub in their cot.

#5 SplashingRainbows

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Oh you poor thing, what a day. Is your DP home? Can he take over for a while?
I would wrap baby up tIght for bed an pop in bassinets with some soothing music on and take a 5 minute time out (only if grizzling, not crying).

Grab a cuppa, a bite to eat, recharge.

If he falls asleep great. If he is winding down, leave him be. If he is getting worked up I would try a warm bath, massage baby (long gentle strokes down limbs and torso), dress for bed, wrap tight, put down an see how he goes.

In my non expert opinion if he is overtired and overstimulated he might just need some time and space to wind down. I would probably intervene as little as needed.

Not advocating crying at all, cuddle as much as you need to, but you DO need to eat and recharge, and if he isn't crying he might be just winding down.

Good luck Pookems. You're doing a great job.

#6 ollies-mum

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

If he is not screaming maybe put him in his cot and let him be, i found the more i tried to put DD to sleep the more it stimulated her. You could even just lie down next to him? You must be exhausted sad.gif

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Roll the pram over a bump in the carpet with one foot while you eat?

Rocker? Rock with your foot while you do something else with your hands.

Put him in the rocker/bouncer in front of you and talk to him while you eat or something else - not alone, but you have a hand free moment.

None of these things ever really stopped the grizzling or made the baby sleep, but I could pick up a damn sandwich.

Good luck, hope it doesn't last too long.

#8 MrsNorthman

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

Electric swing is a great suggestion. Or the vibrating Maclaren rocker?  DD3 hates the vibration but likes the swinging - total opposite to DD2.

Does he like being in a sling?

Will he fall into a deep sleep in the car?  People have been known to just drive and drive until they fall deep asleep. As long as *you* are not too tired to do this.

Does he like (ie fall asleep) in his pram?  Could you try going for a walk with DP?

Does he like being swaddled tightly?

He WILL sleep eventually but omg do I know what you mean...it feels like it will never happen again.  My back is killing me at the moment.

Good luck.  It gets better, it really does.

#9 Cat People

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

So sorry Pook.  It's so hard isn't it?  Hope he sleeps soon for you.

#10 bettymm

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Pookems, i just put a similiar post in the birth-6 months section

I hear ya!

Its so hard ..and frustrating!

All I can suggest is a few days at home with a strict routine.
  try this...and if it doesnt work (which didnt for my first and doesnt look likely for my 2nd)  i suggest to get out of the house as much as possible.  I find they sleep better when out..a busy shopping centre in the stroller or in the carrier..and if they dont, its just easier to cope wth when out than being trapped at home with nothing else to do/think about than the sleep/no sleep situation

best of luck. i need it too! x

Edited by bettymm, 13 April 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#11 MrsNorthman

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 13/04/2012, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roll the pram over a bump in the carpet with one foot while you eat?...

Yes I use this one a lot!   original.gif

Also Pooks, there are nights when I know she will wake again if I put her down so i just don't.  For the last 3 days she has had a 4 hour nap in the afternoon in my arms because I'm just too happy that she is sleeping for so long that I don't want to risk it...

#12 Tesseract

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

It happens. Sometimes it just happens. It's not your fault. Its normal. He will go to sleep eventually, try not to stress too much about it.

Get someone to take him off your hands for an hour do you can have a bath or something.

I found that when DD got like this what worked was taking her into a dark room, wrapping her super tight and putting her on the boob. I was very gentle and very loving, but firm - I became very calm and purposeful, I really let her know that I was in charge and I knew what was best. They really do pick up on your moods. The other thing that worked was feeding her on a pillow on the lounge and letting her flake out, then letting her keep my nipple in her mouth (as long as it wasn't hurting me) for the duration of the nap to keep her asleep, at least then it would start to address the overtiredness.

hugs. Tess xx

#13 Feral_Pooks

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thanks! I am toddling off to try some of these things...

#14 Therese

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

I remember those days sad.gif  It is tough.

There are lots of great ideas here. The swing saved my sanity original.gif

I hope he settles tonight for you.

#15 sigh

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

I think (and I don't remember a lot from DDs early months) that DD did this sort of thing a few times. She was fine (a bit grumpy) but just frigging awake and breastfeeding almost constantly. It nearly killed me. Once it was like two days running and then she slept for like 24 hours. It only happened a few times and not after 10 or 12 weeks.

#16 MrsNorthman

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Pooks also I very often use the "lets start again" method.  Redo bathtime, nice and warm and calm, redo massage, new wondersuit etc.  I also very often use mah boobs and let her fall asleep on it.

Remember you are doing an AWESOME job.

#17 AryaStar

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Tesseract @ 13/04/2012, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It happens. Sometimes it just happens. It's not your fault. Its normal. He will go to sleep eventually, try not to stress too much about it.

Tesseract I always love your posts.  original.gif

I was going to say essentially the same thing. We had quite a few of "those days" too. I let it drive me crazy the first few times trying every trick in the book but eventually I decided that on days like that I wasn't going to try and force the issue and just let him sleep when he was ready. We were both much happier for it.

So rather than spend fruitless, frustrating hours trying to settle him for the inevitable micro-power nap that was to follow I'd let him lie on his playmat, potter about with me in the sling or took him out for a walk in the pram, more for my sanity than his.

They are tough days though.

#18 Chardonnay Buffay

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

I came in here from recent posts, and I must be seriously clucky, because your post made me remember walking up and down the hallway for 4+ hours to get DD to sleep. Yet strangely, these memories don't make me cry with frustration, now I just think wub.gif  wub.gif she was my gorgeous little bubby who needed some comforting from her mummy

At the time, it was horrific!!!

#19 Alpha_Chook

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

I like a PP's suggestion of going to the shops or a walk or something. Thats what I used to do, and still do now (though don't really need to now)....I think it's the reason why he likes being at the shops and can sleep in a LOT of noise (think JB Hi-Fi near the stereos). He also liked the swing but every time he was in it he would have a poo-explosion...not sure if it was the rocking or his position but it was every time!!! That said, he did like the swing

#20 LifesGood

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

I agree with Mrs Northam. Start again.

Also, sometimes they just have these days when they get increasingly overtired and unable to sleep. Eventually they collapse in exhaustion and reset themselves (usually overnight). So there isn't necessarily anything you can do except wait it out and keep trying.

#21 Tea~for~two

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! You poor thing!!!!!!!

Could it be a wonder week? Mine never sleeps during the day during wonder weeks, just grizzles, whines, just wants to be held ALL THE TIME BUT HE WON'T settle!!

The last day I had like this I was so completely overwhelmed that during a changing wrestling match I gave in and let him crawl around in the nude while I tried to pull myself together. He made a beeline for the rubbish bin and started banging it menacingly.

Then a couple of days later a tooth piped through and he went back into his daytime sleep routine as if nothing had happened.

All the best - hope you get some rest soon!!

Xxx

#22 Froger

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Put him in a sling. That way at least you can still get on with things. If you don't like slings, try wrapping and a dummy.

#23 gab72

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

I could have written your post word for word today, just add a moody toddler into the mix as well. I don't have anything to suggest to you that others haven't already suggested but I just wanted to let you know I'm feeling your pain. Also, thank you for making me feel not so alone in this. I hope tomorrow is a better day for us all.

#24 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

I feel for you OP. I had more days like that than not when my DS was a baby. People would ask how long he sleeps for and I would be like "uuummm he doesn't sleep". Things that ended up working - swing. Love love loved the electric swing. My DD never went in it but DS loved it and I would often get him to sleep in it.

Before putting either of my baby's down to sleep if they had fallen asleep in my arms or in the swing, I would do the arm test. That is pick their arm up and if it flops down they are in a deep sleep and 'should' be safe to put down without waking. If their arm pulls back straight away there is a high chance that the minute their head hits the bed they will be wide awake.

#25 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

pookems, as many pp have said, you are doing a fantastic job!

Ethan does the same thing as your Adam. the only way i can fix it is to use my ebay cheapie hugabub.

this has seriously been my lifesaver. he will sleep for up to 5 hours in it!

mine isnt the hugabub brand, i think mines sleepy wrap, but it seriously is the best $40 i have EVER spent. Ethan is sleeping and i can still do what i need to! i was even mopping and vacuming with him in it!

maybe you could try that?

good luck hon. it will get better!!!  hhugs.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.