What age do you let your kids get their own breakfast?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 --binda--

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Without supervision?

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Milk and cereal/yoghurt/sandwich about 4-5yo depending on the child. They are not allowed to use the toaster until about 7yo.

#3 andieinvic

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

I only let mine get themselves museli bars, yoghurt or fruit.  If they make toast, or cereal with milk, the mess is huge.  They are almost 8yo and 9yo.

#4 ally0812

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

my almost 4 yr son can do cereal- bread with spread- fruits banana and youhurt. not toast or eggs ect... he's messy but oh well biggrin.gif

#5 canucktracy

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hmm, older kids have been doing it since they were 4 and 6, youngest was probably not even 3, but that wasn't really her getting it herself, that was her brothers getting it for me.  My kids are happy to do this rather than wake us up so they get more time to use my computer before I start making them do chores and get ready for the day.  They are only making cereal, so nothing particularly dangerous.

#6 caesie'n'linc

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

My kids are 9, 6 & 3yrs old, they get their own breakfast pretty much every day...obviously the older ones help the 3yr old.  
They are allowed to use the toaster, I start teaching them how to use it at about 4yrs old so I am certain they wont hurt themselves.  Toast occasionally gets stuck, DS1 turns the toaster off, unplugs it and uses a wooden skewer to move the toast so it comes out, then he plugs it back in and they continue making breakfast.  Obviously they come get me if they need help.

DS1 was about 5.5yrs old when he started making his own breakfast, his decision not mine original.gif

Edited by caesie'n'linc, 13 April 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#7 --binda--

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

My eldest is 6 and a bit, I let her use the microwave (has a 30 sec quick start, so she can make weetbix), and the toaster.

My best friends daughter slept over last night, and DD1 and her got up, and DD1 got her breakfast, so I had a discussion with her on it, and she told me that she's too young.. and I just wanted to see what others do.

I am of the belief that she has to learn sometime, and its better to learn now whilst they are young, and its fun.

I'm just unsure of when I would let her use the kettle, probably not for another year at least though lol

#8 Carmen02

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

My 10yr old DD does her own toast has for a while she does pretty well, she will make 17mth old DSs breakfast sometimes as well.. i usually do 7yr old DSs mostlly due to him being coeliac and everyone else not on gluten free got to be very clean!

#9 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Depends what you define as breakfast. Helping themselves to whatever is within reach while mum is still zonked out on the couch- as soon as they are able.

Actually making breastfast 4+ for cereal or sandwiches. 5+ for toast, 6+ for microwaveables and making tea, they are not allowed to use the stove or sandwich press yet yet but probably i will allow my 8 year old to start doing that soon.

#10 Chocolate Addict

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

My eldest is 6 and a bit, I let her use the microwave (has a 30 sec quick start, so she can make weetbix),

Call me odd, but why do you need a microwave to make weetbix?

My kid flat out refuses to make his own breakfast. lol He will eat bread but will not make toast.

#11 --binda--

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Because she heats it up (uses milk)

I prefer it with hot water anda  bit of milk, she prefers it with just milk!

#12 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

My 3 and 6yo's get their own breakfast as long as its cold cereal. The elder one would be permitted to use the microwave but its up high and I'm not happy with her having to climb on something to get milk or whatever out and climb down holding it.

No to the toaster yet, mostly because its a funny old beast who burns or fails to brown erratically so I don't trust that rather than Miss 6.

Got to have warm milk with Weetabix, its the only way!

#13 MahnaMahna

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

My 5 year old gets her own cereal and makes her own sandwich (excluding using a sharp knife for cheese, but she knows that so just does vegemite or polony etc).

My 3 year old will probably not be trusted for a long time. He eats the dry cereal out the packet if he gets to it before me and would chug the milk from the bottle if he thought no one was watching.

#14 scooty

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

If breastfeeding in bed counts, then as soon as possible!!!

#15 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

DS, 22 months, learnt how to open the fridge last week.  I have cleared the bottom shelf of the fridge, and started putting "his" food there.  This morning he got his own "breakfast".  

Admittedly, it was a banana and a sippy cup of yogurt smoothie I put there last night.  (I cut the very top of the banana so he can peel it).  Had a bit of a fail early in the week when DH forgot the new plan and put all the Easter eggs on Bear's shelf.  He thought he had hit the jackpot.  laughing2.gif

#16 neyrie

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

My 9 and 7yo both started around 4 for cereal, although I left a measured amount of milk in the fridge for them on cereal. DS makes his own toasted sandwiches since about 6yo and they both started making their own porridge in the microwave at 6 as well. They measure out the oats and milk and cook it themselves (not quick oats, it's the proper stuff). Basically if they can make it using the microwave, kettle, toaster or sandwich maker, they can eat it for breakfast. They can cook pancakes but I make the batter and turn on the stove. After that they're on their own. As a single parent I think it's vital that they learn, I've had a few days where I've been so sick I couldn't get out of bed and kids need food!!

#17 BadCat

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Cereal or toast is the standard brekky here.  Both my kids have been able to do their own since about 4.

#18 ~Supernova~

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

DD (7) has been able to "get" her own since around 3. At that point she would get some yoghurt or fruit out of the fridge until I got out of bed. Since around 4 she has been making her own toast/cereal, and allowed to use the microwave around 5. I do her weetbix though as I put water from the kettle in to soften them up first. I'm a big believer in learning to be independent! Certainly makes life easier now with a baby when she can do almost everything for herself.

At my MIL's she is also allowed to fry eggs under supervision with her cousins.

#19 Xiola

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

DS1 (7) has started making his own toast in the past couple of weeks and it's made a big difference to how quickly he eats it...it's been great and has completely stopped our breakfast battles.

DS2 (4) doesn't get anything yet although reading this thread, I might start getting him to put together his own cereal and teach him how to make porridge in the microwave too.

#20 PaulineN

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Wow I am way behind the mark. DS is 5.5 and if I let him get his own breakfast, he'd grab whatever junk food he could get his hands on and would eat chips, lollies, chocolate for breakfast! He can get cereal and put it in the bowl, but a full 2l milk is so heavy it would end up half on the floor!

#21 cameo

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

DS does his and DD's breakfasts now.  He is 9 and she is almost 4.  They both have Weetbix so fairly easy.

#22 catnat

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Mine got into a pile of Easter Eggs before I got up this morning so made their own breakfast this morning. I wasn't overly impressed at all!

They are 6,6 and 4 and not ready yet to make their own breakfast without a massive mess. I don't feel like cleaning up cartons of milk and crunching through the floor on cornflakes so still do it. They are allowed to put their own toast in and do it under our supervision: our kids are still too silly to let them do it yet but I think that is a personality thing rather than an age thing. Levi is a mischief kind of kid and Chase has no common sense or practicality. We will probably let H do it at the same time as his older brothers as he is a bit more sensible.

#23 LynnyP

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Siobhan gets her cereal, whole fruit, toast or microwaved breakfast herself now at 7.  Cereal for a while, toast for about 6 months and microwave just recently.  I don't let her chop fruit, use the kettle or cook on the stove without supervision.  I don't let her do much cooking on the stove at all, I suppose I should step that up.

#24 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Chocolate Addict @ 13/04/2012, 09:05 PM)
14486282[/url]']My kid flat out refuses to make his own breakfast. lol He will eat bread but will not make toast.

LOL! Your kid would starve at my place!
QUOTE (catnat @ 14/04/2012, 09:21 AM)
14487000[/url]']
our kids are still too silly to let them do it yet but I think that is a personality thing rather than an age thing. Levi is a mischief kind of kid and Chase has no common sense or practicality. We will probably let H do it at the same time as his older brothers as he is a bit more sensible.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news , but my boys are 12,11 and 10 and still mischeivous, silly and display little common sense at times! rolleyes.gif
I can't really remember at what age the kids all started getting their breakfast, but in our house it's each to their own for brekky!The boys always have cereal and sometimes toast, my DD (14) generally has yoghurt and fruit and toast or porridge in the winter.
My kids have learnt to be pretty self sufficient in terms of food, I always have at least one of them in the kitchen helping with what ever I'm doing. I believe they're important life skills for them.

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Despite her father's concerns about kids using the oven/stove etc, 11 year old DD has recently learned to make cakes. She makes them all the time now.

Complete win.

(I hate baking!)

I am ready to step up the use of the stove top for food preparation purposes *evil grin*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Weirdest pregnancy products

From pee stick keepers to stylish sick bags, there are some very strange inventions out there for pregnant women.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.